PDA

View Full Version : Converting D&D into oWoD

Jeivar
2013-08-10, 06:10 AM
Hear me out. :smallsmile:

My friend and I have this idea to convert the flavor of D&D into the oWoD storyteller system, so as to play a simplified game with that whole epic fantasy feel.

I've made a draft for some of the basic player races and monstrous races. For example: Elves get a +1 on Dexterity, can have a maximum of 3 in Strength or Stamina, and can choose between Alertness, Athletics, Animal Ken, Survival and Occult as a "favored" skill.
(This is a rough draft. We have yet to sit down together and decide how many bonuses to give races.)

For that proper epic/mythic feel we are going to include a "Glory" stat, which is one of the things we haven't quite decided on but ideas include using a dot to get extra dice on a roll, and soaking lethal damage for one round.

I've started designing new Backgrounds for medieval fantasy characters, such as being descended from a famous hero (gives social bonuses) or owning a powerful heirloom.

Another thing we'll need to put work into is a magic system. There is no way we're going to make spells as varied as in D&D proper, but my friend floated the idea that your rating gives you points to spread out among effects (range, power, duration).
We haven't gone into holy magic yet, but I like the idea of just having a basic Holy rating which can be used for healing, attacking undead, warding and whatnot.

Opinions? Suggestions? Has anyone tried this?

(BTW, I am aware of Exalted but we are going for D&D-esque)

erikun
2013-08-10, 11:11 AM
Is there any particular reason you are intentionally using oWoD for this project, instead of nWoD?

I've had this idea myself, although I haven't had a chance to play around with the idea too much. Both Hunter and Changeling seem like they would be really good fits for the D&D setting of the game, and Mage would give spellcasters some options - although might be considerably stronger than others. There's also Geist (nWoD) and communicating with spirits in Werewolf for other types of magic.

Are you familiar with Scion: Hero? It has strong powered god-children using their abilities to be, well, heroes. It doesn't do the low-powered side of the game, and like most of oWoD, tends towards wildly overpowered in spots. But it may be close to what you are looking for.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-08-10, 11:13 AM
I, uh... well, the only Storyteller game I've played was Exalted, but I'm not sure it's going to be that simplified.

As a counteroffer, can I suggest using Mutants and Masterminds (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279503)?

Jeivar
2013-08-10, 02:17 PM
Is there any particular reason you are intentionally using oWoD for this project, instead of nWoD?

It's the game we're familiar with, and frankly what I've seen of nWoD doesn't interest me much.

Grinner
2013-08-10, 02:27 PM
Fortunately, White Wolf has already done half of the work (http://www.rpgnow.com/product/89815/Dark-Ages-Basic-Rules) for you.