PDA

View Full Version : How to shut up a loud cursed item...

Theobod
2013-08-10, 07:12 AM
So we were recently lost in the underdark at the mercy of a mad female drow wizard (only found out race and gender later, cos we were sent here as a dungeon crawl that got..... worse with every step, we genuinnely didnt suspect it was a damn drow) and as such came across a few... less than desirable magic items... one however is currently carried by the party's half ogre sword n board crusader... and its actually not all bad.

Has the 'oh bugger its bound to me and now every weapon i draw is this damn one' rules of a -2 sword, sans the -2, and is flaming and sizing to boot.... but the thing talks intelligently.... and incessently, loudly and with no 'brain-mouth filter'.... our current stop gap was gag the things 'mouth' (on one side of the T hilt of this Longsword) with a sling (requires a while to tie up and undo, impractical but doable, and it'll chew through it eventually), but would like a more permenant but non cruel way to shut it up at will, quickly, but not permenantly (the short story 'I have no mouth but I must scream' comes to mind, and we are a good party... wouldnt wish that on anyone).
So permenancied silence and adhesive seem out of the window.
We can further enchant this 'cursed' item... but its probably bad form to try to custum enchant an off switch in, so need a preexisting enchantment to apply if anyone can suggest one.

EyethatBinds
2013-08-10, 07:31 AM
Does he need to carry it with him? I've had GMs rule that the cursed sword of -2 would ALWAYS be drawn when you attempt to draw any other weapon. The obvious solution if that's the case is to leave the sword at home and just draw it when you need it. After all, every time the character draws any weapon that weapon is instead the one drawn.

So once you need to be stealthy just leave it behind. Not like it can't lay on a dungeon floor somewhere.

Theobod
2013-08-10, 08:20 AM
Actually.... its already come up that when stunned, the crusader dropped his weapon, then charged immediately afterwards and the sword teleported to him... so thats simple and elegant. Thing is if it then gets picked up by some gribbly.... we shall but see.
I have this wonderful image of us getting ambushed by a gribbly with the sword, attacking the crusader, the crusader 'drawing' the weapon and beating down the gribbly... the gribbly drawing the weapon and so on and so forth, the weapon having a whale of a time. :smallsmile:

Drachasor
2013-08-10, 08:22 AM
A bag of holding or some other extra-dimensional space would also work.

Larkas
2013-08-10, 08:44 AM
Eh... Does Owl's Wisdom affect intelligent items?

elonin
2013-08-10, 08:46 AM
Reminds me of Chicken infested. Put sword in bag of holding. Then draw from scabbard. Repeat loop. Profit.

Drachasor
2013-08-10, 08:49 AM
A silenced coin/pebble or other object could also work well. Silence is an emanation, so if the silenced item is mostly covered, it will only project the silence effect down a narrow cone. So properly attach it to the pommel of a sword and silence the whole sword. That would cover situations when you need it out and in the open.

Any measure is likely to piss it off.

You could try befriending it and see if you can get it to behave.

EyethatBinds
2013-08-10, 09:26 AM
Thing is if it then gets picked up by some gribbly....

Somewhat unimportant if it functions just like the Cursed Sword of -2, the drawing of that item instead of another takes a week to happen. So the other person would have to have it in their possession for a full week. The character can literally just drop it anywhere and have no concern about it falling into another's hands. Well, it could, but he's able to call it back (effectively disarming them) as a move action (free action if he's got Quick Draw).