PDA

View Full Version : Planeswalker class, 3.5e

mercury19
2013-08-10, 11:54 AM
First I will say that I understand that this has been tried before. I have seen some of the threads. But I want to address something none of those seem to have, and that is the use of actual MtG cards in the making of a class.

The basic concept would be one class, the planeswalker.

The biggest difference between this class and the actual card game is that the class won't use a deck. THat would be like giving a first level sorcerer access to all the spells ever.

Instead, It would go something like this.

The first level planeswalker would start with their equipment, plus five mana cards, one of each color. In game, this could be represented by talismans, or innate abilities.

They would also start out with a number of spells, organized by levels. The level would be determined by the mana cost of the card, with possibly the rarity factor thrown in.

At later levels, they would choose a favored color or two, and would gain mana of said favored color(s) each level. They might even gradually get rid of the excess colors.

Artifacts are open to all colors.

This is just sort of a basic outline that I have in my head, not a whole lot of detail. I figured I'd bring it here because, well, homebrew.

If this has already been discussed and decided/abandoned, I apologize for bringing it up again. A link to that thread would be appreciated.

Thanks, m19

Morph Bark
2013-08-10, 12:15 PM
I know of one Planeswalker homebrew class made prior to this, which can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189767) (had to do a search for it in the Tier Compendium). It doesn't use a card or mana mechanic, though, nor does it make use of artifacts and it only follows the barest spirit of M:tG, not any of its mechanics or the creatures and spells that are a part of it.

If you want to make a new class that does stick closely to those elements of M:tG, I suggest you include some sort of request for help of M:tG fans in the title and perhaps drop by in the M:tG thread in the Gaming forum. :smallsmile:

qwertyu63
2013-08-12, 08:57 PM
Check my homebrew. I have a planeswalker class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263326) that might work as what you want. They actually have to manage mana, although they can cast any of the spells I've made that they can afford (The colors of mana taken act as the biggest limiter).

Tvtyrant
2013-08-12, 09:02 PM
If you use a Crusader mechanic for casting you would have a fair approximation of a Planeswalker IMO. Monsters are summoning spells, etc. Use 5 limited spell lists (red, green, blue, white, black) and have them know only 1 list and access spells as cards readied.

Green might be Summon Nature's Ally and some other Druid spells, Black would have Summon Undead and the kill spells, etc.