PDA

View Full Version : Betrayal at Krondor Campaign?

Cozod
2013-08-10, 12:54 PM
I couldn't find anything online for adapting Midkemia to 3.5. I'm assuming nearly zero magic items, but how would I handle magic in general? Would adept be a good class for the lesser path? Or would a modified spell list for wiz/sorc be better? I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this, so if any one could provide a link maybe? Thanks in advance.

magwaaf
2013-08-10, 02:20 PM
as great as it would be, the world would have to curb back arcane magic alot. i would literally be able to play my jimmy the hand build and it wouldnt be evil! its a very talkie rogue that midsentence can max damage sneak attack lol.

i llove this world. the first 4 books are some of the best books i've ever read and would drool over playing in this world. they would need to flesh out more about the deities and if its post riftwar or not or any of the other wars.

Amphetryon
2013-08-10, 02:49 PM
I couldn't find anything online for adapting Midkemia to 3.5. I'm assuming nearly zero magic items, but how would I handle magic in general? Would adept be a good class for the lesser path? Or would a modified spell list for wiz/sorc be better? I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this, so if any one could provide a link maybe? Thanks in advance.

Honestly, you could reflavor the whole "Lesser Path/Greater Path" dichotomy as Sorcerers/Wizards without a whole lot of fuss. Require Sorcerers to have some sort of prior exposure to the magic they wish to cast (which would curb their power a fairly large amount unless such exposure is allowed via background), make Pug into a, Ultimate Magus Character by the end of the Riftwar, and be good to go.

Cozod
2013-08-10, 02:51 PM
The magic is the trickiest part to handle. I could just limit magic to npc's, but that seems like a cheap work around. Maybe a hybrid wiz/sorc. Still need scrolls to learn spells (so I can limit what they know) but still spontaneous cast? Either the serpentwar or the riftwar legacy trilogy. Those two practically scream d and d group. I would love for the crimson eagles to fly again.

Cozod
2013-08-10, 02:55 PM
Honestly, you could reflavor the whole "Lesser Path/Greater Path" dichotomy as Sorcerers/Wizards without a whole lot of fuss. Require Sorcerers to have some sort of prior exposure to the magic they wish to cast (which would curb their power a fairly large amount unless such exposure is allowed via background), make Pug into a, Ultimate Magus Character by the end of the Riftwar, and be good to go.

Yup, I agree. Only let them know spells I give them, but allow them to research New spells.

Have to fiddle around with the cleric spell list too. Maybe only domain spells, but access to all domains for their god.

Amphetryon
2013-08-10, 02:59 PM
Yup, I agree. Only let them know spells I give them, but allow them to research New spells.

Have to fiddle around with the cleric spell list too. Maybe only domain spells, but access to all domains for their god.

Why limit the Cleric spell list? We saw very few Cleric casters actually front and center in the Riftwar; you could simply say they were attending other important matters or working behind the scenes.

Druids, IMHO, would be harder to import.

Cozod
2013-08-10, 03:27 PM
Why limit the Cleric spell list? We saw very few Cleric casters actually front and center in the Riftwar; you could simply say they were attending other important matters or working behind the scenes.

Druids, IMHO, would be harder to import.

My thought process behind limiting clerics is based off a few instances from the books;

At the end of Kronor: the Assassins when Jimmy and the gang stop the assassination of the crown prince of roldem, the priest of prandur mentions only his order can create/manipulate fire and flames. I think only Ishap can banish demons (same book when they stop some nighthawks summoning a demon under an inn). Also when Caleb gets jacked up in flight of the nighthawks, Magnus had to take him to a temple of lims-kragma (spelling?) Because only her priests could heal that much damage.

Edit: having a heck of time with my phone letting me delete sentences. Ignore the lims-kragma part, that was not the priests that healed him.

magwaaf
2013-08-10, 06:08 PM
id just need to have the world fleshed out better. i want more details on the cities and the people of the areas. the deities need to be detailed. then we need to fluff up the elves, the dwarves and the valheru. then theres the issue of kelewan and if its when pug has the rifts open.

Chronos
2013-08-10, 07:23 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to just find out what system Feist was using, and then play that system?

And yes, the Riftwar books originated from a role-playing game.

Cozod
2013-08-10, 07:30 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to just find out what system Feist was using, and then play that system?

And yes, the Riftwar books originated from a role-playing game.

The system they played was called Midkemia and it was a varient of 2nd ed. I've been able to find a module for it, but nothing regarding the rules. Another issue is the Midkemia in the books was expanded upon ever book he wrote, the game system was a rough template they used.

Elvandar.com has some good maps for the continents, but not krondor or kesh. Don't really need accurate city maps though. The Wikipedia entries help with the gods to an extent. There's also the midkemia online wiki, but I don't know how much of that is "official".

Was hoping it had been done before, guess I'll have to do the work myself, lol.