PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Build an Optimized Blaster (Sorc or Wiz)

savior indra
2013-08-10, 02:53 PM
So some friends of mine have decided to run a Pathfinder game. There are currently going to be 5 or 6 people in the party. We've been told its going to be a low magic world (one arcane and one divine spellcaster in the group no one else is allowed to have spells and each character gets one magic item at character creation even if you could purchase more.)

We are all starting at 12th level. I know the divine spellcaster is going to be a Fighter/Barbarian/Cleric with 6 levels in cleric but he's taking no healing spells. Just what he wants to play. From what we have been told the game will mainly hack n slash. Kill, kill, kill some more grab loot and go.

With that in mind I managed to grab the arcane spellcaster slot and I've decided I want to play a blaster arcane class. Now given that I know that the rest of the party is going to range from terribly built to reasonably optimized, I would prefer to make an optimized blaster sorc and/or wizard to play. I have never played pathfinder before so Im here asking for some help on how to optimize my mage but I have played 3.5 so I have some experience with the game system.

We've been given standard 12th level gold so something like 100K gp, and my stat rolls are 18, 16, 16, 15, 13 ,13. All official pathfinder books are allowed but the DM has been ambiguous about 3.5 material and 3rd party material but for the sake of not having to remake the character I would rather stick with the official pathfinder books.

Thanks!

Hylas
2013-08-10, 03:17 PM
Well I know the most blastiest of blasty sorcerers usually take a crossblooded orc/dragon for +2 damage per die rolled. Personally I like the bloodlines that let you switch any elemental type to another (such as Marid), but they aren't really optimized for damage, but they're good for avoiding energy resistance.

For Wizard you'll want to take Evocation (Admixture) so you can really avoid energy resistance. Their damage boost isn't as good as sorcerer, but I think there was a way to boost it even more.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-08-10, 04:18 PM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15046971&postcount=10) is the most optimized PF blaster I've seen. 12th level might be a bit early to pull it off, since a lot of it hinges on Spell Perfection at 15th. But perhaps if you can afford a rod of Dazing Spell it can work for you right away.

Otherwise, Snapdragon Fireworks (Heightened so the daze lasts longer and energy type changed from fire or using the Havoc of the Society trait), Magic Missile (again, heightened), Stone Call, Aqueous Orb, and Ball Lightning are all excellent spells to make dazing.

Blyte
2013-08-11, 12:37 AM
My advice is don't optimize too much, because you will reduce the game to "super wiz and his monkeys with sticks"

have your blast and utility too!

make a party friendly item creation/know-it-all wizard with staff like wand.

you will never run out of blasty spells, and the melee will love you for doubling their gold.

Human
Wizard lvl 12 [Diviner(Foresight)]

Int: 24/26 (depending on +4 or +6 item)

Traits:
Reactionary (+2 initiative)
Hedge Wizard (-5% item crafting cost)
(human alt racial) Focused Study (bonus skill focus 1/8/16)

Feats:
1 Scribe Scroll
1 Improved Initiative
1B Skill Focus (Spell Craft)
3 Craft Wonderous Item
5 Craft Arms and Armor
5B Arcane Discovery (Arcane Builder: Wonderous Item)
8B Skill Focus (Knowledge Arcana)
7 Forge Ring
9 Craft Rod
10B Arcane Discovery (Arcane Builder: Arms and Armor)
11 Staff Like Wand

Skills:
Spell Craft
Linguistics
Knowledge (Arcana)
Knowledge (Planes)
Knowledge (Dungeoneering)
Knowledge (Religion)
Knowledge (Nature)
Knowledge (Local) (human bonus)
Knowledge (History) (+2 headband bonus)
Knowledge (Engineering) (+4 headband bonus)
Knowledge (Geography) (+6 headband bonus)

Familiar:
scorpion with "valet" archetype (does all the fine detail work for you)

you will be able to hastily craft just about any item you can think of, while adventuring, in nearly no time.

Items:
assorted meta magic rods: piercing spell, quicken spell, extend spell, etc..
assorted pearls of power
headband INT +4-6
belt CON+DEX +4-6
bracers of armor enchanted with breath of life
mithril light shield enchanted with breath of life
cloak of resistance
assorted cheap wands for blasting all day

keep up greater false life and "get away" ... gain initiative (shouldn't be hard) and cast quickened buff spells for the melee like (communal resist energy, haste, communal stone skin, etc..) then blast with your wand or cast a 2nd buff or control spell. You can also simply double blast a bunch, depending on how many quicken rods you can afford.

BWR
2013-08-11, 03:38 AM
Otherwise, Snapdragon Fireworks (Heightened so the daze lasts longer and energy type changed from fire or using the Havoc of the Society trait),

Snapdragon Fireworks dazzles, not dazes.
Important difference that makes it interesting, not absurdly overpowered.

olentu
2013-08-11, 04:28 AM
Snapdragon Fireworks dazzles, not dazes.
Important difference that makes it interesting, not absurdly overpowered.

Presumably he was talking about applying the dazing spell metamagic.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-08-11, 09:03 AM
Presumably he was talking about applying the dazing spell metamagic.

Yes, Snapdragon + Dazing Spell. And Heighten to make it last more than 1 round and Elemental Spell or Havoc of the Society trait because EVERYTHING resists fire...

Thought it was obvious, what I meant.

jaybird
2013-08-11, 11:52 AM
I'd like to suggest Crossblooded Sorc 1/Admixture Wizard 19. Same casting advancement as Sorc 20, but with a significantly improved casting system. +1 damage/dice on Admixed spells, +2 damage/dice on your core energy spells.

Also keep in mind Wayang Spellhunter and Magical Lineage (?). Each one of them gives you a total -1 metamagic adjustment to a spell, but Wayang Spellhunter only works on spells of 3rd level or lower. What's particularly fun would be applying both of them to Fireball, using Admixture to change energy types on the fly, and attaching Dazing Spell to it for a 4th level Reflex or Daze for 3 rounds.

Psyren
2013-08-11, 12:24 PM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15046971&postcount=10) is the most optimized PF blaster I've seen. 12th level might be a bit early to pull it off, since a lot of it hinges on Spell Perfection at 15th. But perhaps if you can afford a rod of Dazing Spell it can work for you right away.

Otherwise, Snapdragon Fireworks (Heightened so the daze lasts longer and energy type changed from fire or using the Havoc of the Society trait), Magic Missile (again, heightened), Stone Call, Aqueous Orb, and Ball Lightning are all excellent spells to make dazing.

I couldn't tell from the build, how is he getting Cha to initiative?

I like the concept a lot but there's several elements in there that don't come online until late game.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-08-11, 01:28 PM
I couldn't tell from the build, how is he getting Cha to initiative?

Noble Scion feat.

savior indra
2013-08-11, 06:42 PM
Okay so what Im coming up with so far is

12th level human sorcerer (Bloodline : Draconic [Gold])

STR 13
DEX 16
CON 16
INT 16
WIS 13
CHA 22

Magical Lineage(Fireball)
Wayang Spellhunter (Fireball)

Spell Focus (Evocation)
Spell Specialization (Fireball)
Mage's Tatoo (Evocation)
Intensify Spell
Empower Spell
Leadership (have cohort craft wonderous items etc)
Quicken Spell
Imp Init (bloodline bonus)

Ill be able to get either a rod of quicken or maximize spell and I've been told I can immediately have my cohort start crafting in game. Ill be getting around 100K gold when we start so just give that to my cohort to craft metamagic rods and Robes of Arcane Lineage.

I know its not completely optimized but should it work in a party that ranges from not optimized to reasonably optimized? Also, any other suggestions?

I was thinking of dumping a feat to get Greater Spell Specialization to spontaneously cast Fireball and then quicken a pair of scorching rays?

Spuddles
2013-08-11, 07:22 PM
You can take a drawback (avarice is probably the best) to get another trait. Finding Haldeen gives you +1 hp & +1 skill point per level.