PDA

View Full Version : Invocations for a Melee Eldritch Disciple

ArqArturo
2013-08-10, 02:53 PM
For quick game I'm playing this week, I decided to make an Eldritch Disciple. Basically an Illumian Cleric 3/Warlock 2/Eldritch Disciple 4, and I have the War Domain, so that means I have the proficiency with a martial weapon (warhammer), and the Weapon Focus Feat. Now, I'm asking this because of Eldritch Glaive/Claws are better than Hideous Blow... But, War Domain benefits, plus I'm thinking of getting Sanctify Martial Strike (I'm Chaotic Good, and we're using the Asgardian Pantheon in Deities and Demigods, so my cleric's deity is Thor) because, well, I kind of qualify for the feat already.

So, under these circumstances, is Hideous Blow better than the Glaive, or screw everything and get glaive instead?.

The build is as goes (stats rolled):

Illumian (Hoon, Krau) Cleric of Thor (Domains: Strength, War) 3/Warlock 2/Eldritch Disciple 4

Str 16
Dex 14
Con 16
Int 14
Wis 17
Cha 14

Feats:

1.- Sanctify Martial Strike (Warhammer)
3.- Enhanced Power Sigils
6.- Battle Caster/Power Attack*
9.- Zen Archery/Divine Might*

*Still deciding what to pick instead. The campaign setting is a D&D version of Attack on Titan, so we'll be facing more giants than undead

Psyren
2013-08-10, 04:25 PM
No, Hideous Blow still blows. It only applies to one attack, whereas Claws and Glaive can get iteratives, bonus attacks from Haste etc.

Why War specifically?

ArqArturo
2013-08-10, 05:02 PM
The spells from the War domain are good, plus it gives you weapon proficency (warhammer) and Weapon focus, also, the domains that Thor has a Strength, War, Weather, Protecion, Chaos, and Good.

I could take both, but that would be a waste of invocations :smallannoyed:, so I might as well take glaive? Also, Is the Weather domains better than War?.

thethird
2013-08-10, 05:10 PM
So... are you going to hit people with a warhammer? If so what's the point of being a melee warlock?

ArqArturo
2013-08-10, 05:13 PM
It was the idea to combine a warhammer with Hideous blow, and maybe turn it into a Good weapon (sanctify), but, since Hideous blow is only one hit, I'm starting to think that I might ditch the War Domain, and hit people with Thor's lightning at melee/range. But still, the idea of hitting things with a warhammer is still tempting.

Psyren
2013-08-10, 05:14 PM
Competition works as well (e.g. Divine Power) and arguably Thor should get it since he's very similar to Kord. I'd ask about adding that one.

Weather is more casty than gish. Strength is a decent alternative if Competition is denied.

AmberVael
2013-08-10, 05:20 PM
Don't use Hideous Blow. Its name is appropriate only in reference to itself. I would further advise against Sanctify Martial Strike- the damage bonus is minimal and also very limited in scope.

With this build, I would likely go with Eldritch Claws. One of the major draws of Glaive is numerous eldritch essence hits, but this build isn't going to be very good with that- your charisma isn't very high, and you're getting access to your invocation grades later, which means lower DCs and a longer time getting out the good essences. In addition, claws can be used as a standard action for at least one attack, unlike Glaive (but without the difficulties of Hideous Blow), and can be neatly supplemented with other natural attacks (see here on how to get more natural attacks (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7066595)).

As for what invocations to actually take, and trying to keep in mind your fluff... how about Baleful Utterance? Fluff it not as dark speech, but basically Thunder- very appropriate for a cleric of Thor. Similarly, perhaps Entropic Warding could be represented by some deflecting winds? Both are decent invocation choices too.

Also, probably don't get Zen Archery. The difference between your Dexterity and Wisdom doesn't really make it worth it.

ArqArturo
2013-08-11, 04:41 AM
Ok, so Hideous Blow is ruled out. So far the build goes like this:

Illumian (Hoon, Krau) Cleric of Thor (Domains: Protection, Strength) 3/Warlock 2/Eldritch Disciple 4

Str 16
Dex 14
Con 16
Int 14
Wis 17
Cha 14

Feats:

1.- Power Attack
3.- Enhanced Power Sigils
6.- Battle Caster/Divine Might
9.- Eldritch Claws

And yes, I've been mindful of the fluff to keep the character interesting (his eldritch blast looks like thunder, as well as his healing blast).

Psyren
2013-08-11, 10:44 AM
Between Divine Might and your Healing Blast you're going to burn through your turn attempts quickly, and you haven't even gotten to DMM yet. Are Nightsticks allowed, and how do they work in your campaign? (i.e. do you need to hold them in your hand to use them?)

ArqArturo
2013-08-11, 01:00 PM
Well, I can only get three nightsticks, the DM is rather picky about the rules, since I couldn't get the Competition Domain, or a Celestial Domain, and another player that wanted to be a Beguiler/Rainbow Servant also got the 'Rainbow Servant can't add cleric spells into the spellbook' rule rather quickly, so she might build a dream dwarf CoDzilla with one ninja level and VoP.

Maybe I could hold on Divine Might to get Extra Turning, and ditch Enhanced Power Sigils (at the expense of caster level, though) for Divine Might?.

Vortenger
2013-08-11, 01:24 PM
you may want to stick with the war domain if you go eldritch glaive. the holy warrior feat (C Ch.) is of the few extraneous sources of damage that applies to each hit on a blast/glaive attack. gauntlets of war allow for another untyped +3, and the only other source of typeless bonus applicable is knowledge devotion... access to 2-3 (via cloistered cleric?)of these and a decent spell list doesn't seem that bad...