PDA

View Full Version : "Making Comics" by Scott McCloud; Any good?

SacredStorm
2006-12-15, 08:17 PM
Okay, so I saw Scott McCloud's latest book settled on a shelf at my nearby bookstore. His book called, Understanding Comics, was truly brilliant in my opinion. However, before I pay twenty something dollars on the book, I am going to ask those who have read it if it's any good.

Is it worth buying and keeping?
Is it worth just borrowing for a week?
-Or-
Should I just pass it by?

Information about myself...
Loves art.
Loves reading comics.
Dreams of making a comic for no reason just for the heck of it.

Shazzbaa
2006-12-15, 08:37 PM
Hi! Information about myself: I'm currently in college working towards a major in Sequential Art! Yup, I'm going to college for comicking. :smallbiggrin:

I borrowed Making Comics from another Sequential major friend, and I loved it, but I don't know how much of it I'd particularly *use*, as far as an instructional text. I'll vote for "borrow from a friend" if that option's available, and see if you like it before you buy it. :3

Myself, I'll probably buy it as soon as I have some extra monies. =P

As far as the content goes, it's interesting because while it was more in depth as far as the various elements of a comic go (actually looking into how to make them do what they do, rather than just observing what they do), it's also a bit more speculative than Understanding Comics was (which I consider an essential read for anyone who's into comics as an art), and Scott openly admits that he's merely hypothesizing in a few places. However, as before, I found his observations to be pretty insightful. There's also a section of notes at the end of each chapter where he goes a bit more in-depth, or adds a caveat or some of the thoughts behind something that he'd mentioned in the actual chapter.

Interesting, though not terribly important, to note that Scott's "character," has a few more hints at a personality of his own in this book, which I found awfully amusing.