PDA

View Full Version : The Zealot; Assassin of the Gods (3.5 Base, WIP)

Antonok
2013-08-10, 08:27 PM
The Zealot
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g430/Antonok/zx9hrnnk1qany6gu_zps5c6b16af.jpg (http://s1101.photobucket.com/user/Antonok/media/zx9hrnnk1qany6gu_zps5c6b16af.jpg.html)

'Hello there! Do you have some time to talk about the benefits of worshipping Vecna?

Adventures: A zealot is not motivated by gold or fame but strive to prove themselves worthy of their Deities favor. They often actively seek out adventures and rarely pass up the chance to further their standing with their Deity.

Alignment: A zealot must always remain within one step of her Deity’s. A zealot who’s alignment no longer qualifies loses all class features until they receive an atonement spell cast by a cleric of their Deity.

Religion: A zealot always worships the Deity that gave them special blessings upon their birth.

Characteristics: A zealot is primarily an assassin. They hide in the shadows and strike with speed and power. If they can’t do that, they stand in the backlines and help support the party with spells.

Background: Once in a while, when a child is born, a Deity takes notice and puts a special blessing on the child.
When the child reaches the age of 5, they are taken to a hidden temple of the Deity that blessed them for training. The child is raised in the teachings and special techniques of the Deity. They are trained to be highly effective assassins to the cause of their patron.
If the child lives to come of age, they are released into the world to go forth and prove themselves to their deity to gain special favor and personal tasks.
Races: Every race is eligible to become a Zealot.

Other Classes: Zealots largely ignore other classes and work well with them. However, they do have a tendency to get into religious debates with worshippers of other Deities, particularly Paladins.

Role: A Zealot can be an ambush fighter, secondary support, secondary blasting caster, or skillmonkey.

Adaptation: As long as the setting has Deific worship, a zealot can fit right in with ease.

Game Rule Information:
Zealots have the following information.

Abilities: Dexterity and Wisdom are the most important abilities for a zealot. Dexterity to help the lightly armored zealot to survive and Wisdom to be able to cast spells. Strength and Intelligence are also good stats to put a few points in.

Alignment: A Zealot’s alignment must be within one step of her Deities. Unlike a cleric, A Zealot may be neutral even though her Deity isn’t.

Hit Die: D6

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5t h

1st|+0|+0|+2|+2|Sudden Strike (+1d6), Trapfinding|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|+1|+0|+3|+3|Evasion, Spellcasting|0|-|-|-|-

3rd|+2|+1|+3|+3|Divine Strike (1/Encounter), Trapsense +1|1|-|-|-|-

4th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Sudden Strike (+2d6), Zealous Mind|2|0|-|-|-

5th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Uncanny Dodge|3|1|-|-|-

6th|+4|+2|+5|+5|Trapsense +2, Poison Use|3|2|-|-|-

7th|+5|+2|+5|+5|Divine Strike (2/Encounter)|3|2|0|-|-

8th|+6/+1|+2|+6|+6|Sudden Strike (+3d6), Redeem the Wicked|3|3|1|-|-

9th|+6/+1|+3|+6|+6|Trapsense +3|3|3|2|-|-

10th|+7/+2|+3|+7|+7|Divine Cascade|3|3|2|0|-

11th|+8/+3|+3|+7|+7|Divine Strike (3/Encounter)|3|3|3|1|-

12th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+8|Sudden Strike (+4d6), Trapsense +4|3|3|3|2|-

13th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+8|Zealous Soul|3|3|3|2|0

14th|+10/+5|+4|+9|+9|Always Sneaky|3|3|3|3|1

15th|+11/+6/+1|+5|+9|+9|Divine Strike (4/Encounter), Trapsense +5|4|3|3|3|2

16th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10|Sudden Strike (+5d6)|4|4|3|3|2

17th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10|Relentless Force|4|4|4|3|3

18th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+11|Trapsense +6|4|4|4|4|3

19th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+11|Hide in Plain Sight|5|4|4|4|4

20th|+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+12|Sudden Strike (+6d6), Embodiment of the Divine |5|5|4|4|4
[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A zealot is proficient with all simple weapons plus the Longsword, Rapier, Scimitar, Kukri, Sap, and Short Sword, and light armor, but not shields.

Skills: The zealot’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Rope (Dex).
Skill Points at 1st level: (6+ Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at each additional level: 6+ Int modifier

Sudden Strike (Ex): If a zealot can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage. Whenever a zealot’s target is denied a Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), the zealot deals an extra 1d6 points of damage with her attack. This extra damage increases by 1d6 points for every four zealot levels thereafter. A zealot can’t use sudden strike when flanking an opponent unless that opponent is denied its Dexterity bonus to AC.

Trapfinding: Same as the rogue ability.

Evasion (Ex): At 2nd level and higher, a zealot can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the zealot is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless zealot does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Spellcasting: Starting at 2nd level, a zealot can cast a small number of divine spells from the cleric spell list (1st through 5th level only).

The zealot’s selection of spells is extremely limited. At most new zealot levels, he gains one or more new spells, as indicated on the table below. (Unlike spells per day, the number of spells a zealot knows is not affected by his Wisdom score; the numbers on the Spells Known table are fixed.)

To cast a spell, a zealot must have a wisdom score equal to 10+ the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a zealot’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the zealot’s Wisdom modifier.

Like other spellcasters, a zealot can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Zealot. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Wisdom score. When Table: The Zealot indicates that the zealot gets 0 spells per day of a given spell level, he gains only the bonus spells he would be entitled to based on his Wisdom score for that spell level.

Divine Strike (Su): At 3rd level, a zealot can use a standard action to call down a beam of divine energy on an enemy or ally within 45ft. This ability can be used once per encounter starting out, but gains an extra use every 4 levels thereafter (2 per battle at 7th, 3 per battle at 11th, and so on). The effect of this ability depends on what is targeted, as described below.

Enemy: If a zealot targets an enemy, this attack deals 1d6 damage/4 levels (minimum 1d6 damage) as divine damage.
Ally: If this ability is used on an ally, it heals the target for 1d8+1 per zealot level.

Any creature struck by this ability is marked by a weak aura only the zealot can see, for 1 round per 4 zealot levels. The aura is harmless but lets the zealot use other abilities.

Trap Sense (Ex): At 3rd level, a zealot gains an intuitive sense that alerts her to danger from traps, giving her a +1 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps. These bonuses rise to +2 when the zealot reaches 6th level, to +3 when she reaches 9th level, to +4 when she reaches 12th level, to +5 at 15th, and to +6 at 18th level.
Trap sense bonuses gained from multiple classes stack.

Zealous Mind (Ex): At 3rd level, a zealot gains the ability to shrug off mental effects that would normally harm her. On a successful save that would normally inflict half damage, she instead takes no damage at all. Only spells and abilities that have a Saving Throw entry of 'Will Partial' or similair entries canbe negated with this ability.

In addition, the zealot gets a +2 bonus to save against mind-affecting abilities, possession, or effects that cause loss of control of the character.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex) Starting at 5th level, a zealot can react to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so. She retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if she is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, she still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

Poison Use Zealots are trained in the use of poison and never risk accidentally poisoning themselves when applying poison to a blade.

Redeem the Wicked (Su): At 8th level, a zealot can use a move action to instantly teleport next to a creature marked by thier Divine Strike ability, up to 60ft away.

Enemy: If the creature marked is an enemy, the zealot catches it flatfooted for the next single attack. (This ability can proc Sudden Strike)

Ally: By taking a ready action, the zealot can teleport next to a marked ally and intercept the next attack made against them, causing the attack to deal only half damage to the zealot.

Divine Cascade (Su): At 10th level, a zealot may expend a Divine Strike use to have it effect up to 5 enemies and/or allies within 45ft. This can be split between targets (say 2 allies and 3 enemies) as long as the total affected does not exceed 5.

Zealous Soul (Ex): At 13th level, a zealot gains spell resistance equal to her current zealot level + 10. In order to affect the zealot with a spell, a spellcaster must get a result on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) that equals or exceeds the zealot’s spell resistance. A zealot can suppress this ability at will.

Always Sneaky (Ex): At 14th level, a zealot can always take 10 on hide and move silently checks, unless the zealot wants to be heard.

Relentless Force (Su): At 17th level, a zealot can channel divine energy to kill her target down even after suffering mortal wounds. Activating this ability is an immediate action and lasts for 1+ Wisdom mod rounds.
While active, the zealot ignores the effects of being reduced to 0 hit points or less. However, if the zealot is brought below -20 she dies immediately. When the effect ends, the normal effects of damage apply immediately.

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): While in any sort of natural terrain, a zealot of 19th level or higher can use the Hide skill even while being observed.

Embodiment of the Divine (Ex): At 20th level, a zealot can channel power directly from her deity to become a living avatar.
Three times per day, as a standard action, a zealot transforms, giving her:

+5 divine bonus to all saving throws
+20 base land speed
Immunity to death effects
Resistance to Acid, Cold, Fire, and Electricity 15
Damage Reduction increases to 15/Magic
+4 Str, +4 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Wis as a divine bonus

for a number of rounds equal to her (new) will modifier.

In addition, the zealot’s type changes to Outsider (Native) though she can still be raised or ressurected normally, and damage reduction 10/magic.

Spells Known:
{table=head]Level|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th
1st|-|-|-|-|-
2nd|2|-|-|-|-
3rd|3|-|-|-|-
4th|3|2|-|-|-
5th|4|3|-|-|-
6th|4|3|-|-|-
7th|4|4|2|-|-
8th|4|4|3|-|-
9th|4|4|3||-|-
10th|4|4|4|2|-
11th|4|4|4|3|-
12th|4|4|4|3|-
13th|4|4|4|4|2
14th|4|4|4|4|3
15th|4|4|4|4|3
16th|5|4|4|4|4
17th|5|5|4|4|4
18th|5|5|5|4|4
19th|5|5|5|5|4
20th|5|5|5|5|5
[/table]

Zealot specific feat:
Extra Divine Strike:
Prereq: Zealot level 9
Benefit: A Zealot can use Divine Strike 2 extra times per battle.

Antonok
2013-08-11, 12:47 AM
Ok, think the fine tuning is finished.

Changed the spellcasting. Gave them an extra spell level, and opened it to the full cleric list, but they now have to prepare spells.

Added in ranges/durations on the abilities

Added concentration to the skill list and dropped it down to 6+ instead of 8+

Silva Stormrage
2013-08-11, 02:06 AM
Evasion: You mention rogue instead of zealot.

Spellcasting: Your blurb mentions bard a couple times, also you mention cantrips but you have no cantrip slots per day.

Divine Strike: Make a minimum (1d6) damage for the enemy version as right now it deals 0d6 damage at 3rd level. Also what is a weak aura? Also use encounter rather than battle as thats the standard phrase.

Zealous Mind: Specifiy that it works on only a successful will save.

Punish the Wicked: I assume this is what the aura does for divine strike?

Divine Cascade: Can you target say 3 enemies and 2 allies with this?

Zealous Soul: Let him suppress it as a free action off his turn so his allies can heal him without trying to beat SR.

Embodienment of the Divine: Just make it permanent rather than make a zealot use this ability every time it runs out (Since its at will). Its just a hassle to keep track of otherwise and its not that strong if its permanently up.

Looks like a cool class though, fix some of the wording issues and it would definitely be a class I would play.

Antonok
2013-08-11, 09:38 AM
Evasion: You mention rogue instead of zealot.

Spellcasting: Your blurb mentions bard a couple times, also you mention cantrips but you have no cantrip slots per day.

Divine Strike: Make a minimum (1d6) damage for the enemy version as right now it deals 0d6 damage at 3rd level. Also what is a weak aura? Also use encounter rather than battle as thats the standard phrase.

Zealous Mind: Specifiy that it works on only a successful will save.

Punish the Wicked: I assume this is what the aura does for divine strike?

Divine Cascade: Can you target say 3 enemies and 2 allies with this?

Zealous Soul: Let him suppress it as a free action off his turn so his allies can heal him without trying to beat SR.

Embodienment of the Divine: Just make it permanent rather than make a zealot use this ability every time it runs out (Since its at will). Its just a hassle to keep track of otherwise and its not that strong if its permanently up.

Looks like a cool class though, fix some of the wording issues and it would definitely be a class I would play.

Fixed/clarified most of it. I meant to have Embodiment of the Divine only be usable 3 times a day though (had issues with copy/paste cutting stuff off of it).

Cheiromancer
2013-08-11, 10:42 AM
Does the zealot use the full cleric list, or do they have their own list of spells? I think a specialized spell list might make sense. Particularly to unify the class and make sense of it as a stealthy, magic using assassin. (Come to think of it, what's wrong with the assassin spell list? Add a couple of 5th level spells and you're all set.)

I like the divine strike/marking mechanic. However, I am not sure that punish the wicked makes sense mechanically. Being struck by a bolt from the blue should alert the victim that something was up, which makes it hard to catch them by surprise when you teleport in on them. Also, it would be nice if there were things you could do for allies - like teleport them out of combat into safety, say.

Can any zealot use poison? Even ones that are lawful good? Given the abilities, it almost looks as if "any non-good" would be a better fit for this class.

Antonok
2013-08-11, 11:10 AM
Does the zealot use the full cleric list, or do they have their own list of spells? I think a specialized spell list might make sense. Particularly to unify the class and make sense of it as a stealthy, magic using assassin. (Come to think of it, what's wrong with the assassin spell list? Add a couple of 5th level spells and you're all set.)

They use the full cleric list. I had originally had a set list, but outside a few spells (create undead, blindness/deafness, and the like) and with the limited amount they know/can cast its not all that greatly different, just gives them a bit more leeway for multiple ones in the party to be different frome ach other.

I like the divine strike/marking mechanic. However, I am not sure that punish the wicked makes sense mechanically. Being struck by a bolt from the blue should alert the victim that something was up, which makes it hard to catch them by surprise when you teleport in on them.

Think of it like this:

You're a guard in a small outpost. Its a quiet, crisp, peaceful night, a night like any other. You stop and listen to the critters of the nearby forest, you close your eyes and take a deep relaxing breath, and resume your rounds.

As you're walking, out of nowhere, a sudden flash of light messes up your vision and searing pain runs through your body. You stagger back, blinking furiously to remove the spots from your eyes, when you notice a humanoid shape in front of you that wasn't there just 6 seconds ago, as an intense burning pain shoots from your stomach to your back as the zealot plunges his blade into your midsection.

Also, it would be nice if there were things you could do for allies - like teleport them out of combat into safety, say.

I had originally thought of having it to where the zealot could take a ready action to teleport to a marked ally so he could intercept the next attack made against the ally. But with his squishiness (and my reluctance to give them a form of mitigation for it), I decided against it.

Edit: Think I might go ahead and add that in.
Edit 2: Ok, its added in. Also renamed it to Redeem the Wicked since punish no longer fits right.

Can any zealot use poison? Even ones that are lawful good? Given the abilities, it almost looks as if "any non-good" would be a better fit for this class.

Yes they can. There are good and evil forms of poison (BoED for the good), so its entirely between the player and his DM to decide what is considered good and evil/lawful and chaotic. I just gave them the option.

Jarrick
2013-08-11, 01:46 PM
Just about right on power level. Doesn't step on the rogue's toes or those of other casters while still having a great deal of options and customization. This is a highly adaptable class both mechanically and from a roleplaying perspective. It can be used to represent fanatics, cultists, priests, assassins, and even gritty greyguard-like characters of almost any diety or alignment.

It's a flavorful class too. A religious fanatic who assassinates targets and undertakes missions to advance his deity's goals at any cost. Questionable morals, enough spellcasting to be considered a priest or cultist, skilled enough to be dangerous and hard to track down, and deadly with a little planning.

This class also fills a role that is overlooked in homebrew a lot. There arent any published divine-inspired skillmonkey classes that im aware of, aside from a few prestige classes.

With some slight changes, you could do this with druid spells too and make them hunters, wardens, survivalists, and eco-terrorists.

Cheiromancer
2013-08-11, 02:10 PM
I agree with Jarrick's assessment.

My only complaint is that the image is too wide for my display.:smallannoyed:

But yeah - this is a keeper.

Antonok
2013-08-11, 05:07 PM
My only complaint is that the image is too wide for my display.:smallannoyed:

I've tried to get teh stupid thing to go smaller but even after going into paint and shrinking it when I post it to the forums it resizes itself.

Cheiromancer
2013-08-11, 05:18 PM
I've tried to get teh stupid thing to go smaller but even after going into paint and shrinking it when I post it to the forums it resizes itself.

That's odd. According to this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246643), photobucket (your hosting site) should allow you to resize the image when you upload it.