PDA

View Full Version : Help increasing a rat swarm

Invader
2013-08-10, 09:28 PM
I need to increase a rat swarm from whats listed in the MM to something suitable for a 5th - 6th level party to face and I'm not exactly sure the best way to do it.

I'm not over concerned with skill increases, basically just HD, size, and damage. While I have no problem just increasing those to the levels I feel appropriate for my party I was curious about doing it the right way. Any suggestions?

Humble Master
2013-08-10, 09:35 PM
The basic way is to increase the hit dice of the swarm. The hit dice increase also improves their BAB, abilities, saves and potentially size.

Edit: There are rules on page 291 of the Monster Manual for how to do this. Here it is on the SRD. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#increasingHitDice)

Invader
2013-08-10, 09:55 PM
The basic way is to increase the hit dice of the swarm. The hit dice increase also improves their BAB, abilities, saves and potentially size.

Edit: There are rules on page 291 of the Monster Manual for how to do this. Here it is on the SRD. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#increasingHitDice)

I was going to use those but I didn't notice swarms listed with the creatures so I wasn't sure if they had separate rules somewhere I just wasn't seeing. I also need the swarm to be larger that the standard 10ft space. I'm really looking to increase its size to effectively cover more of a 50x50 area so when my PC's end up fighting it, they'll all be effectively occupying the same space.

Humble Master
2013-08-10, 09:56 PM
I was going to use those but I didn't notice swarms listed with the creatures so I wasn't sure if they had separate rules somewhere I just wasn't seeing. I also need the swarm to be larger that the standard 10ft space. I'm really looking to increase its size to effectively cover more of a 50x50 area so when my PC's end up fighting it, they'll all be effectively occupying the same space. Swarm is a subtype. You would advance the rat swarm based on it's monster type which is vermin.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-08-10, 10:30 PM
The Ephemeral Swarm in MM3 can get pretty nasty, and it's right in the CR zone that you're looking for.

Invader
2013-08-11, 06:36 AM
The Ephemeral Swarm in MM3 can get pretty nasty, and it's right in the CR zone that you're looking for.

That's absolutely perfect!

You win 1 internets sir!

Kuulvheysoon
2013-08-11, 07:04 AM
Not a problem - glad I could help.