PDA

View Full Version : Necro/Bard/Gish? Can it be done?

PangolinPie
2013-08-10, 11:10 PM
The idea I have in mind is a creepy necro/bard style build. Going to be utilizing Dirgesinger and possibly Dread Witch in the build; both being only 5 levels. Still trying to find the stats for that dark Bard "Harbinger" variant from Dragon Magazine. For the gish aspect I thought about adding a few levels of Warblade with focus on White Raven maneuvers...it would stack well with the Bard buffing/debuffing and be enough to at least make him a good backup melee if needed.

So what I'm thinking overall right now is Bard 5/Warblade 2/Dirgesinger 5/Dread Witch 5/Warblade 3

I also had this idea in mind...its more of a humorous aesthetic and in game would be a lot of fun. This tall, shadowy, spindly fellow, who carries around a full sized Cello made of Ironwood and crafted to resemble a coffin. The instrument weighs as much as it appears unless its being wielded by him.

I know with high enough strength and monkey grip he could wield such an instrument as a rather effective bludgeoning weapon (or possibly slashing if I added blades to the design), but his rather slender, effeminate appearance is part of his whole theme, emphasizing Dex and Cha more than anything else. My DM said if I can figure out a way to make it work, that he would allow it especially since I wouldn't be a primary melee fighter.

So is there some kind of spell with permanency that would make it so in the bard's hands, he could wield the cello as if it weighed less?

I could of course just go with the Crystal Echoblade as I've seen around being a standard choice for a martial bard.

Silva Stormrage
2013-08-11, 01:50 AM
Hm, dirge singer isn't the best PRC. You might be better off if you go with Sublime Chord for animate dead + command undead etc and then dual progress it and warblade with Jade Phenoix Mage

Get the requiem feat and pump inspire courage + dragonfire inspiration and that could be pretty deadly.

PangolinPie
2013-08-11, 09:56 AM
Now you see, I keep seeing people say that Sublime Chord is the only way to go for a Bard. But to me that seems like you're completely abandoning the Bard all together and going full arcane caster which kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? Its like

Q: "What do I do with this Bard?"

A: "STOP being a Bard!"

What really inspired this idea was another player who claimed that a Bard couldn't really be that menacing or intimidating so I came up with this build idea and if I opt for Sublime Chord he'll just claim "Well of course now he's awesome because he's not a bard anymore." At least something like Dirgesinger or Virtuoso would emphasize the Bardic music aspect more. I liked the Dread Witch because it allows for Bardic spell progression, is Cha based and has a lot of fear buffs that synergizes well with the spell selection.

Any other options that wouldn't take me to far away from what a Bard is? Maybe Seeker of the Song?

In the end I'm not so much looking to be a power player; I have no problem doing what a Bard does best as a buffer/backup but I just want to add more flare and creepiness factor to create something more memorable than anything else.

And yeah...I'm liking the Jade Phoenix Mage :D

Silva Stormrage
2013-08-11, 02:34 PM
Eh it still progresses both bardic music and bardic knowledge, it just changes the spells. The main reason I suggested it is because bard doesn't have animate dead or command undead, key spells for any necromancer. I suppose you could UMD rune staff them (I believe that works. If anyone would like to confirm this that would be great) with a custom rune staff. Otherwise hard to be a necromancer without them.

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-08-11, 02:55 PM
You are trying to do too many things at a time in one build.

Being a Bard focusing on IC/DFI eats up most of your feats. Being a Necromancer with a focus on Minionmancy eats up most of your feats. You just don't have the character resources necessary to do both justice.

PangolinPie
2013-08-11, 05:17 PM
I see your points. Okay what if we got rid of the necromancy angle all together and just did a creepy bard gish with maybe an emphasis on fear effects and illusions?

Maybe Bard 7/Warblade 2/Crusader 1/Dread Witch 5/Jade Phoenix Mage 5?

Malroth
2013-08-11, 06:04 PM
Crusader with song of the white raven instead of warblade and you can get decent undead related casting with Arcane Desciple:death