PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to cast spells on allies without LoE?

Nettlekid
2013-08-11, 12:43 AM
I have a War Weaver that I want to connect many allies to via his Eldritch Tapestry, and I expect that some of the time, if we're split up down corridors or just in different rooms, I won't have LoE to them. Is there any item they could hold or I could use or spell effect to keep on them that would make them count as being nearby for me to buff them? Something like what Greater Status does, but with higher level spells than that.

Splendor
2013-08-11, 07:59 AM
Unfortunately the Eldritch tapestry ability doesn't change the range on spells, only allows you to affect more people than normal. And maxs out at 5th level spells.
"To cast bull’s strength, for example, you must touch all your allies. You can touch as many willing targets as you can reach as part of the casting, but all targets must be touched in the same round you finish casting the spell." - Heroes of Battle pg 112

The 'Insignia' spells in the Races of Destiny allow you to cast on everyone bearing a badge.

The 'Chain Spell' metamagic feat allows you to affect a bunch of people with non-touch spells. Combined with the 'Reach Spell' metamagic feat you could affect alot, but it still has LOE.

There is a 3rd party feat called 'Remote Spell' in a AGE book, which eliminated some LOE.

The magical item 'Ring Gates' in the DMG allow you to cast spells through them. This is probably your best bet, but their 40,000gp.

Nettlekid
2013-08-11, 11:00 AM
Unfortunately the Eldritch tapestry ability doesn't change the range on spells, only allows you to affect more people than normal. And maxs out at 5th level spells.
"To cast bull’s strength, for example, you must touch all your allies. You can touch as many willing targets as you can reach as part of the casting, but all targets must be touched in the same round you finish casting the spell." - Heroes of Battle pg 112

The 'Insignia' spells in the Races of Destiny allow you to cast on everyone bearing a badge.

The 'Chain Spell' metamagic feat allows you to affect a bunch of people with non-touch spells. Combined with the 'Reach Spell' metamagic feat you could affect alot, but it still has LOE.

There is a 3rd party feat called 'Remote Spell' in a AGE book, which eliminated some LOE.

The magical item 'Ring Gates' in the DMG allow you to cast spells through them. This is probably your best bet, but their 40,000gp.

I'm using a bit of cheese with the Eldritch Tapestry, in that having three Bloodline Levels makes you count as an 8th level War Weaver for effects based on class level, so I should be able to send up to 8th level spells through the weave. As for the range limitation, it's true that's troublesome, but the 5th level of War Weaver lets you expand the range, so touch becomes close, etc. My CL is very high, so close range is still a couple hundred feet, which is big enough to get to everyone in like, a ship, which is where I'll likely be casting it.

Those Insignia spells are exactly the kind of thing I wish I could find a general purpose item for, since they work just the way I want this to work. If there was an item that was like "As a full-round action, a character may attune himself to this item. Any number of characters may be so attuned. A spellcaster holding this item may cast any spell on the attuned creature(s) as though that creature was standing next to him, regardless of any impediment between them. A spell still cannot function if the target is outside the designated range of the spell." Or something like that.

Chain Spell doesn't really help with this, since War Weaver's spells are basically all chained anyway.

Hmm, do you know what book that Remote Spell is in? My DM is using some 3rd party stuff already, and he might be okay with me slipping this in, especially if it serves my purposes.

I'd thought about Ring Gates, and they would make it quite easy to cast at any range (just have one Ring Gate on the hip of each of the recipient(s), and have a Servant Horde hold up all the other halves of the Ring Gates in front of the caster), but I have about 25 targets that I want to keep buffed, so that puts the Ring Gates well out of price range. If there was a smaller, cheaper version, that would be ideal (like a pair of Ring Gates the size of a pinhole.)

Splendor
2013-08-11, 08:19 PM
I don't remember, but looking online I found that someone else said it is in "D20 Feats book, two Sword and Sorcery books, and an AEG book".

Nettlekid
2013-08-11, 08:23 PM
I don't remember, but looking online I found that someone else said it is in "D20 Feats book, two Sword and Sorcery books, and an AEG book".

I found that as well, and I don't know which AEG book, which two Sword and Sorcery (there are a lot, aren't there?) or what the D20 Feats book even is.

Splendor
2013-08-12, 04:33 AM
My guess the d20 feats book would be this....
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/d20-feats-aeg/1005907902?ean=9781887953733