PDA

View Full Version : How do you view a high level warlock?

CyberThread
2013-08-11, 12:53 AM
Do you view a high level warlock more like image 1 or image 2?

http://plusxp.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/kamehameha.jpg

http://images.myfavoritegames.com/gallery-db-z-gt-x/Screenshots/Dragonball_Z/10._Cell_Games_Saga/165._The_Fight_Is_Over/165-28.jpg

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-08-11, 12:56 AM
Neither of those are forsaking their class features to UMD staff/wand spam.

In all fairness though, Warlock can't really do multiple shots unless they're all at different targets, so it really depends on the situation. Only one opponent he only gets one shot, multiple opponents he gets up to one shot per opponent.

Devronq
2013-08-11, 12:56 AM
I dont understand what you asking? Are you asking if you see warlocks as using a single powerful attack instead of many weaker ones?

herrhauptmann
2013-08-11, 01:43 AM
Neither of those are forsaking their class features to UMD staff/wand spam.

In all fairness though, Warlock can't really do multiple shots unless they're all at different targets, so it really depends on the situation. Only one opponent he only gets one shot, multiple opponents he gets up to one shot per opponent.

Wait, what?
Only one attack per person? Doesn't the glaive thing allow full attacks on a single target?

AntiTrust
2013-08-11, 01:48 AM
Wait, what?
Only one attack per person? Doesn't the glaive thing allow full attacks on a single target?

they do allow full attacks, but both pictures are ranged attacks

Lateral
2013-08-11, 02:05 AM
They're more like the first one, but I wish I could picture them as something other than a nerdy fat guy in a black cloak waddling around a battlefield pointing a laser pointer into people's eyes.

Lord Haart
2013-08-11, 02:15 AM
In fact, this is what i prefer to see when i think of a high-level warlock:
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/216/6/0/Silence_Glaive_by_Reiranna.png

Feralventas
2013-08-11, 02:40 AM
In fact, this is what i prefer to see when i think of a high-level warlock:
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/216/6/0/Silence_Glaive_by_Reiranna.png

I haven't seen Sailor Moon or its kin very much, but for what I know of the Magical Girl Genre, Warlock is my go-to for such character types.

It's essentially a fighter with magic item crafting feats and invocations instead of combat feat trees. It's simple, and you can build a lot of concepts off of spamable invocations.

For example,
>Leaps and Bounds
>Spider Walk
>Eldritch Glaive
>Flee the Scene

You now have a character that can leap and run around over buildings all day, pulling off matrix-like stunts with impunity, flash-step via FTS and wields an energy weapon with the fluff of their choice; light-saber, blade of light as per tenchi-muyo, spiritual weapon, or hearts and bubbles in a whip.

Alleran
2013-08-11, 02:54 AM
I haven't seen Sailor Moon or its kin very much...
It's Sailor Saturn. Basically, she's all about absurd amounts of damage - she can destroy a planet or even at her apex a star system. It's a one-shot nova attack that brings ruin to everything, but kills her in the process. A bit like Kali, the destroyer of worlds (allowing for a later rebirth, which use of her power also does).

[/whydoIknowthis]

Erik Vale
2013-08-11, 04:18 AM
Both, depending on the warlock, but only because the second depicted picture shows multiple arms [because thats the only way non-epic warlocs are getting multiple blasts without homebrew]. [[Edit, yes I know it's Goku who doesn't have multiple arms, but is just moving really really fast]]

Plain 3.5 warlock without homebrew, I imagine a powerful magical beacon, almost a planar breach contained within one person, that was sometimes allowed to blast things into oblivion over extended periods.

Fluff of the warlock, I imagine a beacon of arcane energy so powerful that they make the most powerful wizard look like a child with a sling shot compared to a tank, yet they lack much of the versatility of the wizard, being more battle mages who can turn the tides of galactic/multi-dimensional wall. And their lack of versatility they make up for by having thousands of outsiders to their beck and call, of their number being his old boss were he not born with his own power.
Of course, that might be a little high level...

JellyPooga
2013-08-11, 04:34 AM
I've tend to imagine high level Warlocks being somewhat like this guy:

http://www.chadgibbs.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/emperor3-jpg.jpeg?w=150

He could zap one guy, several guys, zap a rapid succession of bolts, one long, drawn out energy arc, etc. etc...it's all the same to him. That, however, is the least of his powers...we're talking about a character with a Charisma score somewhere in the stratosphere; dude rules an Empire despite being blatantly evil (just listen to that theme music...anyone who hears that has to know the guys evil, right?). If guile and presence don't work, then he has a slew of mysterious and unknowable powers to back him up.