PDA

View Full Version : Defense Damager Build

Arkusus
2013-08-11, 03:13 AM
Since the party was a bit thin, I'm letting some players make a second character to help add some muscle to the party, and one of them was looking to make a character who's primary purpose is to basically make certain enemies more vulnerable.

Essentially, he wants to focus on having attacks or abilities that lower the enemies AC when he hits, allowing the other party members who use physical attacks to have a better chance at hitting.

Is there any particular class that is good at de-buffing enemies? No evil classes are allowed. Also, the player has stated he is not interested in the Cleric.

geekintheground
2013-08-11, 03:16 AM
a rogue using ambush feats could lower dex and/or con lowering saves. might even be one for wis

Devronq
2013-08-11, 04:30 AM
Hmm well could you ask to use an evil class and fluff it as a good one? Just throwing this out here the Paladin of slaughter gets an aura that lowers ac. Also warlock has a familiar type thing that makes everyone close to it have -2ac and -2 saves cant remember what its called dark familiar or something and i dont beleive you have to be evil. You could also check out hexblade its ok at debuffing depending on hoe flexible the DM is theres some hexblade homebrew that are quite balanced... or atleast nicer that the real thing and not broken the hexblade could have used a little buff

IronFist
2013-08-11, 05:47 AM
Binder and/or Hexblade should work. Binder can even make use of the Sneak Attack debuff feats, such as Staggering Strike. It's pretty much what Dulcinea (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9321125&postcount=154) does.

Failing that, any spellcaster with adequate spell selection would do. Maybe a sorcadin.

Eldariel
2013-08-11, 06:07 AM
Most spellcasters have a good selection of spells to this effect. If Cleric isn't his thing, a Wizard would work just as well. All the run of the mill debuffs (stun, blind, ensnare, etc.) available with low level spells drop a person's AC (or give anyone attacking him bonuses; same difference).

EDIT: Yeah, that.

Medic!
2013-08-11, 07:12 AM
In addition to the Ambush feats already mentioned, rogues can also use the ACF from PHB II to lower an opponent's AC by 5 1 round at a time.

Crusaders from ToB can grant attack bonuses to allies while imposing penalties on foes.

A monk could trade his Stunning Fist for Soulwarp Strike from Complete Mage (ACF), to sicken or (on a failed save) nauseate foes.

Hexblades have been mentioned, with a nice ACF also from PHB II that trades their familiar for a Dark Companion that debuffs AC and saves of adjacent foes.

I'm sure there's a lot more.

Xerlith
2013-08-11, 08:27 AM
I don't know, if I may self-promote so much, but if homebrew is allowed, I think I have some nice things for the chap:
The tank (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292636)
The debuffer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292349) - this may as well get the curses per encounter, if it's more your style.