PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] 'Paladin/Ranger/Spellthief' Archetype characters, Guide and Feats [WiP]

Xuldarinar
2013-08-11, 11:01 AM
We are all familiar with them. Masters of martial combat, dabblers in magic. In the player's handbook we see the paladin and ranger, roughly mixes of the fighter with the cleric and druid respectively. Well, why stop there? The idea should become pretty clear.

To create a character of this archetype, you need to select two classes, one of each category.

Martial: Barbarian, Battle Dancer, Dragon Shaman, Expert (generic), Fighter, Knight, Monk, Ninja, Rogue, Samurai, Scout, Soulknife, Swashbuckler, Warrior (generic)

Caster: Archivist, Artificer, Beguiler, Binder, Cleric, Death Master, Dragonfire Adept, Dread Necromancer, Druid, Erudite, Favored Soul, Incarnate, Psion, Shadowcaster, Sha'ir, Shugenja, Sorcerer, Spirit Shaman, Spellcaster (generic), Totemist, True Namer, Urban Druid, Warlock, Warmage, Wilder, Wizard, Wu Jen

Table 1-1
{table=head]Level|Class Advancement
1st|Melee 1
2nd|Melee 2
3rd|Melee 3
4th|Melee 3/Caster 1
5th|Melee 4/Caster 1
6th|Melee 4/Caster 2
7th|Melee 5/Caster 2
8th|Melee 5/Caster 3
9th|Melee 6/Caster 4
10th|Melee 6/Caster 4
11th|Melee 6/Caster 5
12th|Melee 7/Caster 5
13th|Melee 7/Caster 6
14th|Melee 7/Caster 7
15th|Melee 8/Caster 7
16th|Melee 8/Caster 8
17th|Melee 9/Caster 8
18th|Melee 10/Caster 8
19th|Melee 11/Caster 8
20th|Melee 12/Caster 8 [/table]

Table 1-2:Example for comparison
Class levels|Attack Bonus|Caster Level
Paladin 10|+10/+5|5th
Knight 6/Cleric 4|+9/+4|4th
-|-|-
Paladin 20|+20/+15/+10/+5|10th
Knight 12/Cleric 8|+18/+13/+8/+3|8th

At this point, it's not looking as good. You have more versatility, as opposed to the single class, but you are lacking a little bit in some areas. This, is where new content comes in. Either, a single feat or a whole collection of feats, devoted to this formula of class progression. Once I have an idea as to approach the feat, either on my own or provided by someone else, there will be a feat section added.

Why, you may ask, would someone follow this? Well, its simple. As the hexblade, paladin, ranger, and spellthief classes have their own distinct flavors, combining two classes in similar fashions could also prove to have a similar effect, simulating existing flavors or creating new ones. Lets say you want a paladin, without using paladin. You could be: Fighter/Archivist, Fighter/Cleric, Fighter/Favored Soul, Fighter/Shugenja, Knight/Archivist, Knight/Cleric, Knight/Favored Soul, Knight/Shugenja, Samurai/Archivist, Samurai/Cleric, Samurai/Favored Soul, Samurai/Shugenja, ect. Each different combination potentially providing the paladin flavor, but with different twists.

Amnoriath
2013-08-11, 11:17 AM
We are all familiar with them. Masters of martial combat, dabblers in magic. In the player's handbook we see the paladin and ranger, roughly mixes of the fighter with the cleric and druid respectively. Well, why stop there? The idea should become pretty clear.

To create a character of this archetype, you need to select two classes, one of each category.

Martial: Barbarian, Battle Dancer, Dragon Shaman, Expert (generic), Fighter, Knight, Monk, Ninja, Rogue, Samurai, Scout, Soulknife, Swashbuckler, Warrior (generic)

Caster: Archivist, Artificer, Beguiler, Binder, Cleric, Death Master, Dragonfire Adept, Dread Necromancer, Druid, Erudite, Favored Soul, Incarnate, Psion, Shadowcaster, Sha'ir, Shugenja, Sorcerer, Spirit Shaman, Spellcaster (generic), Totemist, True Namer, Urban Druid, Warlock, Warmage, Wilder, Wizard, Wu Jen

Table 1-1
{table=head]Level|Class Advancement
1st|Melee 1
2nd|Melee 2
3rd|Melee 3
4th|Melee 3/Caster 1
5th|Melee 4/Caster 1
6th|Melee 4/Caster 2
7th|Melee 5/Caster 2
8th|Melee 5/Caster 3
9th|Melee 6/Caster 4
10th|Melee 6/Caster 4
11th|Melee 6/Caster 5
12th|Melee 7/Caster 5
13th|Melee 7/Caster 6
14th|Melee 7/Caster 7
15th|Melee 8/Caster 7
16th|Melee 8/Caster 8
17th|Melee 9/Caster 8
18th|Melee 10/Caster 8
19th|Melee 11/Caster 8
20th|Melee 12/Caster 8 [/table]

Table 1-2:Example for comparison
Class levels|Attack Bonus|Caster Level
Paladin 10|+10/+5|5th
Knight 6/Cleric 4|+9/+4|4th
-|-|-
Paladin 20|+20/+15/+10/+5|10th
Knight 12/Cleric 8|+18/+13/+8/+3|8th

At this point, it's not looking as good. You have more versatility, as opposed to the single class, but you are lacking a little bit in some areas. This, is where new content comes in. Either, a single feat or a whole collection of feats, devoted to this formula of class progression. Once I have an idea as to approach the feat, either on my own or provided by someone else, there will be a feat section added.

Why, you may ask, would someone follow this? Well, its simple. As the hexblade, paladin, ranger, and spellthief classes have their own distinct flavors, combining two classes in similar fashions could also prove to have a similar effect, simulating existing flavors or creating new ones. Lets say you want a paladin, without using paladin. You could be: Fighter/Archivist, Fighter/Cleric, Fighter/Favored Soul, Fighter/Shugenja, Knight/Archivist, Knight/Cleric, Knight/Favored Soul, Knight/Shugenja, Samurai/Archivist, Samurai/Cleric, Samurai/Favored Soul, Samurai/Shugenja, ect. Each different combination potentially providing the paladin flavor, but with different twists.
How is this different than a simple multi-class and making an appropriate character bio? I think maybe you should have started with making some multiclass feats.
I do think you brought up something which always nagged me about those classes in that in being hodge-podge mixes they never really recieved features that waranted an entirely different class.

Xuldarinar
2013-08-11, 03:51 PM
How is this different than a simple multi-class and making an appropriate character bio? I think maybe you should have started with making some multiclass feats.
I do think you brought up something which always nagged me about those classes in that in being hodge-podge mixes they never really recieved features that waranted an entirely different class.

Perhaps you are right in that I should have started with multi class feats, but I wanted this much information already up so I'd have a frame of reference to keep in mind.

If I try individual multi-class feats, It may just turned out to be a lot of copy paste. A one size fits all one, however, may turn out as incredibly wordy. Then again, considering the point you brought up, maybe I should have a primary multi class feat, and some feats to bestow features, based on the classes they have taken.

Amnoriath
2013-08-11, 05:08 PM
If I try individual multi-class feats, It may just turned out to be a lot of copy paste. A one size fits all one, however, may turn out as incredibly wordy. Then again, considering the point you brought up, maybe I should have a primary multi class feat, and some feats to bestow features, based on the classes they have taken.

I think it may be easier than you think. A lot of the work is done for you it just has to be reorganized and tweak the abilities to give the ones that lacked a little of an edge. First you need a base feat that requires a caster level and a level in the martial class. I am not sure what to call it but I think a generic ability that amounts to counting your martial class level as half caster level will suffice but also have a contingent bonus feat to allow you to take up an archetype feat once you qualify without taking up so much feat space. These archetype feats would have relevant skill requirements and more martial class levels(3 more at least). In return they would gain a star active ability, a star passive ability set, relevant skill bonuses(or add skills) and a list of their own spells. A spell caster adds these spells to their list known when they can cast them. If a caster can't actually cast spells they gain the ability to cast them using the combined caster level with the spells given. As such these spells will have designated caster levels in which they can be cast. There would be an archetype feat for each 1/2 caster type in the game. This may sound like a lot but as I said a lot of the work is done. The goal here is to make the 1/2 caster more malleable to the player's liking and maybe redeem a couple of abilities/mechanics of the originals.

Amnoriath
2013-08-16, 12:11 AM
Sorry for the wait, but allow me to give me an example of an archetype.

Yamabushi(Archetype)

Prerequisities: Concentration 8 ranks, Sense Motive 5 ranks, 4 levels of a martial class, 1 level of a caster class, (multiclass feat), kiai smite class feature

Benefit: Upon taking this feat you can now call yourself a Yamabushi which allows you choose to instead align yourself with a particular religious organization or monastery instead of your lord when you were just a Samurai. When doing this you do not lose any features of the Samurai class. You can also forge a mystical connection with your diasho or any weapons of your choice so long as they are no more than what you can wield. As a 30 minute ritual you can beseech the power of your ancestors by sacrificing a single spell in order to gain enchantment property levels of your choice equal to the level of the spell. This can be done once for each weapon and lasts for 24 hours. You only can sacrifice a spell level equal to 1/3 your martial class levels(minimum 1). An example would be a level 9 samurai/4 sorcerer could sacrifice a fireball spell to gain enchatment properties worth up to a +3 price equivalent.

You learn to use the Concentration skill in a new way. Upon reaching martial level 7 when using a Kiai smite you may make a concentration check as a free action against a DC equal to the enemies AC-1(for every minimum number less than 20 as a critical threat), unlike other skill checks this will fail on a natural 1. If they succeed they may treat their attack roll as a confirmation roll, also you may gain additional uses of Kiai smite from the extra smite feat. When you attain martial level 14 you can also ignore any concealment if successful, however you must still know where the target is.

You gain fast movement 10 when this feat is taken and at martial level 16.
You also gain mettle at martial level 8.

Skills: You gain a class bonus to Balance, Jump, Knowledge(religion), and Tumble skills equal to 1/3 your martial class levels(minimum 1). You can also use these skills untrained and do not suffer the double point cost of being cross-class skills.

You also add these spells to your class list. Spontaneous Casters may add one spell known from each level on this list that doesn't count against their normal limit. If a caster class cannot cast spells they may select their caster level's+casting stat worth of levels as spell-like abilities in which you can cast each one a number of times of equal to you caster level divided by three. You must have twice caster level to select an appropriate spell to be a spell-like ability. Any save DC equals 10+spell level+casting stat.

1st: Accuracy, Backbiter, Beastland Ferocity, Bless, Cure light Wounds, Detect chaos, Detect evil, Detect good, Detect law, Dispel Magic, Endure Elements, Faerie Fire, Hail of Stone, Heart of Air, Iron scarf, Jump, Magic Weapon, Lesser Vigor, Lion's Charge, Obscuring Mist, Resist Planar Alignment, Shield, Stretch Weapon, See Invisibility, True strike, Whirling Blade

2nd: Alter self, Avoid Planar Effects, Balor Nimbus, Bear's Endurance, Bull's Strength, Brambles, Cat's Grace, Cure Moderate Wounds, Dimension Hop, Eagle's Splendor, Entangling Scarf, Fire Shuriken, Flame Blade, Fog Cloud, Fox's Cunning, Greater Magic Weapon, Keen Edge, Heart of Water, Lightning Blade, Owl's Wisdom, Protection from Energy, Thornskin, Vigor

3rd: Air Breathing, Align Weapon, Blinding Beauty, Commune with Lesser Spirit, Cure Serious Wounds, Dancing Blade, Earthbolt, Fireball, Good Hope, Gust of Wind, Haste, Heart of Earth, Icelance, Magic Circle against Chaos, Magic Circle against Evil, Magic Circle against Good, Magic Circle against Law, Meld into Stone, Spike Growth, Walk the Mountain's Path, Water Breathing, Wreath in Flames

4th: Air Walk, Arc of Lightning, Bear's Heart, Boreal Wind, Call of Stone, Commune with Greater Spirit, Death Ward, Elemental Eye, Greater Dispel Magic, Dimension Door, Fire Sheild, Haboob, Heart of Fire, Lay of the Land, Mass Vigor, Metal Skin, Meteoric Strike, Polymorph Self, Posion Needles, Shout, Spirit Self, Solid Fog, Rain of Spines, True Seeing

Special: A character can only take one Archetype feat in pre-epic levels.