PDA

View Full Version : Vampiric Character Help

Ruethgar
2013-08-11, 02:04 PM
I want to make a character that uses vampiric effects to deal most/all of his damage and preferably use his own life to deal damage. I've found several abilities that I really like but I've hit a block as to how I should go about getting them(classes/races etc.).

Assume Supernatural Ability(Javoc Retribution Aura): Problematic because it hits you as well but I want it bad. As such this character needs to be able to shift into a 4hd demon(preferably at will)and have a massive fort save.

Manifest Life: Awesome, with I could have it at level one. Touch attack to drain health, touch again to heal an equal amount to someone else.

Bestow Wounds: Not what I meant when I said I wanted manifest life at level one, but as close as I could find.

Profane Lifeleech: AoE lesser vampiric touch at the cost of a turn attempt.

Sacred Healing: Problematic since it heals enemies as well and I have to have both turning and rebuking for profane and sacred.

Lifeleech: If I get the death domain I can do this to myself and get this neat feat to kill anyone below 0 HP and heal me.

Draconic Vigor+Soulmeld-Therapeutic Mantle: A decent bit of healing if I go arcane.

Soulmeld-Rageclaws: If I am consuming my health to deal damage, may as well have 9 more to work with.

White Dragon Lineage: More health to fuel damage.

Blood Power: 3rd party so a bit iffy, expend 5 health per spell level to not use a slot on an arcane spell(wording suggests you must still have been able to cast the spell so no 45 damage at level 1 to cast a 9th level spell).

Draconic Aura-Vigor: Cancel and eventually heal the effects of Lifeleech on allies.

Aura of Retribution sounds awesome and I definitely want it. Manifest life, hit myself for damage and explode out with 30ft burst of damage, heal it back ASAP. Sounds cool however it would be tricky to balance it out without killing myself.

Silva Stormrage
2013-08-11, 02:36 PM
Just as a suggestion, if you want to focus on the jovok's aura of retribution (It is an awesome ability I just sent one of those little guys against my party XD) you might want to get mettle so you take no damage on a successful save. Maybe hexblade 3? It would help with the fort save as well. Maybe homebrew a ring of mettle like a ring of evasion.

Ruethgar
2013-08-12, 09:34 AM
Thank you, mettle would be nice to outright stop the damage instead of taking 197% each time. But apart from that, what route of classes would be best? I'm thinking an otherworldly deep imaskari for the race. I think I could do without sacred healing and just get profane, the issue I am seeing is that going a cleric route would delay the flavor of the character's abilities. Arcane has a spell from the start, however horrible it is, and healing touch which is the equal to manifest life in damage until epic or Ur-Priest and is a 3rd instead of a 5th level spell. Assume Supernatural ability is also easiest with an outsider and Alter Self, again arcane. But Profane lifeleech is a very nice ability that I wouldn't want to skip if able, and it requires a hefty investment in turn attempts to be viable daily.

If a domain access sorcerer takes the undeath domain, do they get the ability to turn/rebuke undead?

Auramis
2013-08-12, 10:10 AM
This class may greatly interest you! From the Complete Arcane.

http://dndtools.eu/classes/blood-magus/

Ruethgar
2013-08-12, 11:23 AM
Bloodseeking is the only good ability of that class, it is very good though. +1d6/3HP on a spell as a free action rather than the irritating swift. It would increase damage done significantly with AoE spells, but dosen't synergize well with the aura. It does go well with manifest life, however. Granting the ability to do as much damage as will keep you stable and then heal it all back and more.