PDA

View Full Version : Flash Frost Blizzard and cover

Fyermind
2013-08-11, 03:27 PM
So let's say my druid wants to kill a lot of people. I am a druid 12. I cast Flash Frost Blizzard and the surrounding 1200 feet are now slippery, deal 10 cold damage per round, and have a foot of snow falling every round for the next 12 rounds. Mission accomplished. But what about things that might provide cover? Can anything provide cover? What direction does it have to provide cover from? How high is this blizzard anyway? I think it should be a sphere...

Basically, can someone better at piecing together how blizzard works explain to me how to avoid being killed by it?

Crake
2013-08-11, 03:39 PM
if you want to kill people with a blizzard and it's winter currently, I'd suggest instead using control weather. Lasts longer, is less obviously magical (so less likely to be traced back to you) and covers a much larger area. It also provides quite a decent amount of snowfall, so people can get snowed into their homes and starve to death.

Fyermind
2013-08-11, 03:44 PM
I really want to know what a mundane would have to do to survive this. (assuming less than 60 HP and unable to simply walk out of the area due to snow and ice)

mattie_p
2013-08-11, 04:02 PM
Mundanes can stay indoors, or, for that matter, bury themselves in the snow to survive.

Line of Effect
A line of effect is a straight, unblocked path that indicates what a spell can affect. A line of effect is canceled by a solid barrier. It’s like line of sight for ranged weapons, except that it’s not blocked by fog, darkness, and other factors that limit normal sight.

You must have a clear line of effect to any target that you cast a spell on or to any space in which you wish to create an effect. You must have a clear line of effect to the point of origin of any spell you cast.

A burst, cone, cylinder, or emanation spell affects only an area, creatures, or objects to which it has line of effect from its origin (a spherical burst’s center point, a cone-shaped burst’s starting point, a cylinder’s circle, or an emanation’s point of origin).

An otherwise solid barrier with a hole of at least 1 square foot through it does not block a spell’s line of effect. Such an opening means that the 5-foot length of wall containing the hole is no longer considered a barrier for purposes of a spell’s line of effect.

Note that as a spread, blizzard will wrap around corners, but it cannot penetrate solid barriers. Any mundane indoors with the windows closed should be fine. Any mundane that survives the first round of blizzard can bury themselves in the snow completely and not take flash frost damage.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-08-11, 05:55 PM
Mundanes can stay indoors, or, for that matter, bury themselves in the snow to survive.

Note that as a spread, blizzard will wrap around corners, but it cannot penetrate solid barriers. Any mundane indoors with the windows closed should be fine. Any mundane that survives the first round of blizzard can bury themselves in the snow completely and not take flash frost damage.

Because suffocation is infinitely preferable to freezing.
If it's winter Blizzard (preferably extended or with boosted CL) will cover houses in enough snow to practically ensure any mundanes inside will suffocate before they get out. The same goes for creatures that get buried.
If it's not get a Bead of Karma, cast Control Winds and wipe the whole town of the map. :smallamused:

Being a druid is fun. :smallsmile: