PDA

View Full Version : Help with character

ThatGuyOvaThere
2013-08-11, 04:05 PM
I am currently (right now for the next 3 hours) playing a campaign in which we have 0 options. I mean we can use only small sized races, magic doesn't work on the island we are on, I can not play as any of my favorite things, or my weird "this seems like fun" concepts.

I need to know how the f##k to make a f##king character, for this game.

Oh also as a little side note what I need to play has to be reasonable because the dm kinda hates me.

eggynack
2013-08-11, 04:17 PM
Have you considered building a not-character? You appear to not be having fun, and assuming that your goal is fun rather than some sort of odd D&D oriented masochism, that's a bad thing. In any case, when in doubt, I figure that the best option is a druid. They adapt to craziness pretty well, though this is apparently a lot of craziness.

ThatGuyOvaThere
2013-08-11, 04:20 PM
Have you considered building a not-character? You appear to not be having fun, and assuming that your goal is fun rather than some sort of odd D&D oriented masochism, that's a bad thing. In any case, when in doubt, I figure that the best option is a druid. They adapt to craziness pretty well, though this is apparently a lot of craziness.

HAh, but not even the mighty druids magic will work in the anti-magic field.
also, I am not having fun, my dm is an idiot and has again outlawed every fun in DnD

eggynack
2013-08-11, 04:25 PM
Well, that's what your riding dog animal companion is for. While everyone else is reliant on magic items, the dog is not, so he's more powerful than normal. Later, if magic returns to your life, you can just start doing that. Druids adapt like crazy.

Nettlekid
2013-08-11, 04:29 PM
*sigh* This sounds like a difficult situation, and playing in a heavily limited campaign where the DM hates you does scream "Go play Super Smash Bros instead," but if you're dead-set on this, then why not?

I might suggest a skillmonkey. Perhaps a Whisper Gnome for stealth, Kenku for Aid Another boost (or get someone else to be a Kenku), or Air Goblin for high Dex. Warforged Scout is also a good universal race for its immunities. I'm assuming you're first level, let me know if I'm wrong. I think go with a high Int Whisper Gnome Factotum. Those Inspiration points and Int to attack will go a long way toward giving you disproportionately large attack rolls at level 1, and between 4 ranks, +3 or so Dex, and +4 Racial bonus to Hide and Move Silently (and an additional +4 Size bonus to Hide) means that if you go with Darkstalker at first level, you'll be pretty darned hard to find, especially without magic. If you don't have the upper hand, stay out of trouble, and this will go just that.

Valanarch
2013-08-11, 04:37 PM
I am currently (right now for the next 3 hours) playing a campaign in which we have 0 options. I mean we can use only small sized races, magic doesn't work on the island we are on, I can not play as any of my favorite things, or my weird "this seems like fun" concepts.

I need to know how the f##k to make a f##king character, for this game.

Oh also as a little side note what I need to play has to be reasonable because the dm kinda hates me.

I'd just not play. I might understand the Antimagic Field, but the small sized races thing really pushes it. If you are not having fun, don't play. And if the DM is going to do this and will stop whatever you do because he hates you, don't come back.

ThatGuyOvaThere
2013-08-11, 04:38 PM
I have decided to play as a halfling druid thanks eggy

Nettlekid
2013-08-11, 04:41 PM
I have decided to play as a halfling druid thanks eggy

I don't get it, a Druid without magic? So you're playing a dog, basically, if the bulk of your character's power comes from its (unaltered by magic) animal companion?

EDIT: In fact, assuming 4 ranks, and +0, maybe +1 to Cha because I don't think Druids use Cha for much, you'll be lucky if you can get your animal companion to do what you want it to half the time. It's not specially intelligent like a Familiar, it is as low-Int as a regular animal. If you try to go Tier 1 in this way, you'll end up playing a Riding Dog struck by Bestow Curse's 50% no-actions clause.

eggynack
2013-08-11, 04:47 PM
I don't get it, a Druid without magic? So you're playing a dog, basically, if the bulk of your character's power comes from its (unaltered by magic) animal companion?
Eh, basically. The way I figure it, you need room to maneuver in case things change arbitrarily. Besides, you're basically acting twice a round, even without magic, and animal companions are reasonably powerful when everyone is magicless. You want to be reasonably powerful when magic is off, because that's the current state of things, and you want to be extremely powerful when magic is on, because that's a potential future state of things. Druids adapt, and when a DM is erratic, and a little crazy, you need to be able to adapt.

Nettlekid
2013-08-11, 04:57 PM
Eh, basically. The way I figure it, you need room to maneuver in case things change arbitrarily. Besides, you're basically acting twice a round, even without magic, and animal companions are reasonably powerful when everyone is magicless. You want to be reasonably powerful when magic is off, because that's the current state of things, and you want to be extremely powerful when magic is on, because that's a potential future state of things. Druids adapt, and when a DM is erratic, and a little crazy, you need to be able to adapt.

The OP said that he'll be playing for the next 3 hours, so I think it's short-term rather than long-term planning that will pay off. It's true, Druids are powerful and versatile, but since the DM has stuck them on Antimagic Island, I strongly suspect he plans to keep them on Antimagic Island. You are quite right that he basically acts twice a round, but how effective will those actions be? Free action for the DC 10 Handle Animal check to get the dog to attack (do animal companions come pre-trained? I hope he won't have to spend time training it to know how to attack), DC 25 to do something it's not trained to do. Assuming that goes off without a hitch, the dog will go up and do a 1d6+3 melee attack (quite decent, worse than any melee character at your same level) while you do...what, go around and flank with a dagger? The Halfling himself isn't going to add much to this dynamic duo.

eggynack
2013-08-11, 05:03 PM
The OP said that he'll be playing for the next 3 hours, so I think it's short-term rather than long-term planning that will pay off. It's true, Druids are powerful and versatile, but since the DM has stuck them on Antimagic Island, I strongly suspect he plans to keep them on Antimagic Island. You are quite right that he basically acts twice a round, but how effective will those actions be? Free action for the DC 10 Handle Animal check to get the dog to attack (do animal companions come pre-trained? I hope he won't have to spend time training it to know how to attack), DC 25 to do something it's not trained to do. Assuming that goes off without a hitch, the dog will go up and do a 1d6+3 melee attack (quite decent, worse than any melee character at your same level) while you do...what, go around and flank with a dagger? The Halfling himself isn't going to add much to this dynamic duo.
I dunno if it's the best option, but it's significantly better than you're making it out to be. You don't need to make handle animal checks to make your animal companion move, and you get at least one bonus trick for free. You can also presumably have it come to you as a war trained riding dog, which is the goal. As for druidic actions, I'd presumably just have the halfling use a sling from behind the dog, with maybe a spear for melee combat.

Edit: Actually, I can't tell if you need to use handle animal or not. It's a pretty trivial check for known tricks though, and a riding dog with a bonus trick has plenty to pick up war training.

ThatGuyOvaThere
2013-08-11, 05:08 PM
I misunderstood the no mahic, we start on doing a trial in wich we can't use magic

eggynack
2013-08-11, 05:10 PM
Ah, so you generally do have magic. Druids are absolutely the best option then. They're probably the class most capable of handling massive amounts of DM craziness.

Nettlekid
2013-08-11, 05:18 PM
I misunderstood the no mahic, we start on doing a trial in wich we can't use magic

Ah, so you generally do have magic. Druids are absolutely the best option then. They're probably the class most capable of handling massive amounts of DM craziness.

Ah, yeah, that changes a huge amount. With the threat of no magic ever, a Tier 1 caster strikes me as less effective than a more mundane Tier 4 martial character. But if you get magic at any point, then of course a Tier 1 beats all.

ThatGuyOvaThere
2013-08-11, 05:35 PM
yeah so i decided to ,because of the trial, to wield axe-chucks, what are the stats on that

Nettlekid
2013-08-11, 05:43 PM
yeah so i decided to ,because of the trial, to wield axe-chucks, what are the stats on that

As far as I'm aware, axe-chucks aren't a thing. So they have no stats. You could make some up. But your DM would have to tell you the stats are okay.

And I am really very extra-certain that Druids do not have proficiency with axe-chucks, so remember that you'll be taking -4 on all attack rolls unless you take the feat Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Axe-Chucks.

ThatGuyOvaThere
2013-08-11, 06:28 PM
As far as I'm aware, axe-chucks aren't a thing. So they have no stats. You could make some up. But your DM would have to tell you the stats are okay.

And I am really very extra-certain that Druids do not have proficiency with axe-chucks, so remember that you'll be taking -4 on all attack rolls unless you take the feat Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Axe-Chucks.

Dm said that all of us that the item we make on the trial we are proficient, with them.

Nettlekid
2013-08-11, 06:53 PM
Dm said that all of us that the item we make on the trial we are proficient, with them.

Could you please tell us all the little caveats and special rules of this expedition, so we can cut to the chase and not have to keep going back and forth like this?

In any case, regardless of proficiency or not, axe-chucks don't exist, so make up the stats for yourself or use one of the many items that do exist. Spiked Chains sound a bit axe-chuck-ish, are an Exotic Weapon that you'll get proficiency with, and people regard them as very useful. They are made of metal though, so as a Druid you'll need to do something about that.