PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Versus Thread: Jack Rakan (Negima!) vs Goultard (Wakfu)

Shadow of the Sun
2013-08-11, 05:28 PM
This is one I've had kicking around in my mind for a while.

Mahou Sensei Negima and Wakfu are both stellar works, if you like the genre that they fit into; Negima (which will be how it's referred to for the rest of the post) is an excellent hybrid harem-shonen manga by the author of Love Hina!, while Wakfu is along with Code Lyoko one of the most visible (and enjoyable!) of the French anime scene.

The two characters being compared today are both very similar; they're both periphery characters, mentors to one of the main characters, and they are both extremely powerful (and kind of goofy). The first thing we see Jack Rakan do in the manga is summon a sword the size of a skyscraper, whereas we see similar feats from Goultard in Wakfu (although I won't go into more depth!)

While the most likely answer too what would happen if these characters met up would be knocking off to the pub for a beer together, I'm asking you, playgrounders, what you think would happen were they to fight each other, one on one, in a serious conflict.

The stipulations are:
- This is one-on-one; the appearance of allies does not impact the results. (Although the ability of either to summon is fair game)
- The integral metaphysics of each universe is true; the existence of Negima's magic system and universe does not impact on the Wakfu system, or vice versa.

And with that, let's get off to the races!

Geostationary
2013-08-13, 01:09 AM
I think the main problem is that it's revealed that Goultard is
the new Iop god,
which leads to questions of power and metaphysics I personally can't answer as I don't play Wakfu and can't speak French (it's hard to find the lore in English).

What sorts of things does Jack Rakan actually do?

Shadow of the Sun
2013-08-13, 01:21 AM
I'll say these in spoilers, but:

Jack Rakan does a lot of insane stuff.

For example, he manages to destroy a pocket dimension by flexing his muscles at it really hard, basically, which is supposed to be against the metaphysics of the setting.

He also throws a sword a Mach 3 and jumps on it to get around because he can't fly.

Oh, and one of the villain's erased him from existence. He turned up again later to punch things.

All of which strike me as things Goultard could also do.