PDA

View Full Version : Pebbles the Ogre Bouncer 3.5 Peach

Debihuman
2013-08-11, 05:45 PM
With my tongue firmly in cheek, I am working on a tavern and monastery encounter. Cardboardeux is done (see my creations). The bouncer prestige class was made by Dspeyer and you can see the original here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15782844&postcount=813

I have made a few changes to the bouncer's abilities (mostly regarding how far he can throw an opponent to match falling damage) and changed the name Multigrab to Multigrapple to avoid confusion with the feat of that name in Savage Species.

The bonus feats are Pebble's fighter bonus feats.

Pebbles the Ogre
Large Male Giant, Fighter 5, Bouncer 5
Hit Dice: 4d8+11 plus 5d10+10 plus 5d10+10 (104 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30 ft. in hide armor (6 squares); base speed 40 ft.
Armor Class: 20 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +5 natural, +4 +1 hide armor, +1 insight (from ioun stone), touch 11, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +13/+28
Attack: Large +1 defending greatclub +21 melee (2d8+8) or javelin + 14 ranged (1d8+7)
Full Attack: Large +1 defending greatclub + 21/+16/+11 melee (2d8+8), or javelin +14 ranged (1d8+7) or unarmed strike +19/+14/+11 melee (1d4+7) or improvised weapon +15/10/+5 melee (damage depends on item’s size), or improvised weapon +11/+6/+1 melee (damage depends on item’s size) and unarmed attack +11 melee (1d4+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Grab and throw, multigrapple, out the window, out the window and down the street, pull punch
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/-, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, stare ’em down, thick skin
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +7, Will +3
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 13, Con 15, Int 8 (10 with ioun stone), Wis 10, Cha 7
Skills*: Climb +12, Listen +5, Spot +5, Intimidate +12, Sense Motive +5
Feats: Toughness, Weapon Focus (greatclub), Improved Unarmed StrikeB, Improved GrappleB Deflect ArrowsB, Power Attack, Cleave, Improved Bull Rush
Environment: Rustic Pelican
Organization: Solitary, pair, gang (3-4), or band (5-8)
Challenge Rating: 13
Treasure: +1 hide armor, Large +1 defending greatclub, scarlet and blue sphere ioun stone (+2 Int) and dusty rose prism ioun stone (+1 insight to AC)
Alignment: Neutral Good
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +2

Pebbles (real name Bort) is an ogre bouncer at the Rustic Pelican. His parents were killed by adventurers but they took pity on the infant ogre and brought him to a local monastery where he was raised.

Despite his size, he was ungainly and a slow learner compared to the other orphans. The monks quickly procured a scarlet and blue sphere ioun stone for the young ogre in hopes that not only would he understand his adopted parents but also that he’d grow accustom to their ways.

Like the other orphans, Pebbles longed to escape the routine of the monastery for life of adventure. For a while, he took to adventuring to find the culprits who murdered his parents but they had died in an unfortunate accident. In the course of his journey, he found his extended family but their brutish ways repulsed him. Dejected, he returned to the monastery but was bored and frustrated until Cardboardeaux arrived.

When the golem was sent to the local tavern, Pebbles asked to be taken in as well. In exchange for room, board, and earned time off, Pebbles works as the inn’s bouncer.

Pebbles stands 10 feet tall and weighs a svelte 600 lbs. His tanned skin is scrubbed clean and so he lacks the repellent odor that mars most of his kind. His hide armor is expertly made and is attractive even by human standards. He takes his job as bouncer seriously and is never far from the trusty magical greatclub he fondly calls Bam-bam.

Pebbles speaks Ogre and Common with the help of one of the ioun stones that always circle his head and from whence he gained his nickname.

Combat

Pebbles always uses improvised weapons and unarmed strikes against the drunken patrons as he doesn't want to kill them just subdue them. When adventuring or truly threatened, he relies on Bam-bam and javelins.

Pull Punch (Ex): Knowing the importance of repeat customers, a bouncer learns to deal nonlethal damage at no penalty.

Out the Window (Ex): If a bouncer succeeds on a grapple check he may choose to throw an opponent who is no larger than the bouncer is. A flung creature travels 1d6x 10 feet and takes 1d6 points of damage per 10 feet traveled. A flung creature falls prone where it lands. The bouncer must succeed on an opposed grapple check to do this, and must make a ranged touch attack if he wishes to send the creature through an actual window or similar opening.

Stare ’em Down (Ex): If a bouncer succeeds in demoralizing an opponent through Intimidation, the opponent immediately ends any rage or similar state. Furthermore, if the Intimidate check succeeds by 8 or more, the target is frightened, and by 16 or more panicked.

Multigrapple (Ex): A bouncer may grapple two opponents at once, and may initiate two grapples as a single standard action. This imposes a -4 penalty on the grapple checks.

Thick Skin (Ex): A bouncer gains DR 5/-

Grab and Throw (Ex): A bouncer may initiate grapple and use the Out the Window ability as a single standard action.

Out the Window and Down the Street (Ex): When a bouncer successfully uses Out the Window, he may choose to fling an opponent at either another creature or at an object. Not only does the opponent take damage from being flung, but anything the opponent hits also takes the same amount of damage. If the object or creature being crushed is more than two size categories smaller than the flung opponent is, it takes an additional 1d6 points of crushing damage.

Skills: All of Pebbles' skills are related to the ioun stone he received as a child. Without the ioun stone, he cannot speak Common and he has the following skills: Climb +10, Listen +3, Spot +3, Intimidate +5, Sense Motive +3

Debby

Palanan
2013-08-11, 07:52 PM
Between this and the cooties, I can tell someone's been in a silly mood lately. Pull Punch had me laughing out loud.

:smalltongue:

My only comment is minor and editorial: in the last line of the entry, in Skills, I would suggest adding an apostrophe after Pebbles' name to indicate the possessive.

Debihuman
2013-08-12, 04:39 AM
I'm beginning to think i'm better at the silly stuff than I am at the serious stuff lately. The bouncer prestige class worked out beautifully (great big thanks to Dspeyer for an excellent job).

Fix the possessive now. That's what I get for writing late at night.

And I just noticed he's a feat short. Will fix that. I added Improved Bull Rush to his feats.

Debby

vinihigino
2013-08-12, 07:50 AM
Are you aware about the HoN hero with the same name and similar ability or was it a supreme coincidence?

Debihuman
2013-08-12, 08:00 AM
What's HoN? Never heard of it.

Pebbles and Bam-Bam come from the cartoon the Flintstones. I think HoN used the same source material that I did.

And while I'm giving credit out: Bort comes from the Simpsons and the Rusty Pelican is actually a beautiful seaside restaurant in Tampa Florida.

The ioun stones were just there to give credibility for taking the name Pebbles. A club named "Bam-bam" was hardly more than serendipity.

Debby

Cheiromancer
2013-08-12, 08:13 AM
He is very svelte, indeed. If Pebbles were 6 ft. tall (but with the same proportions and density) he would weigh only 130 pounds.

I like the Bouncer prestige class too. Do you think it would be too much if the DR stacked with DR/- from other sources?

Debihuman
2013-08-12, 08:18 AM
Actually Damage Reduction never stacks, you use the highest one. It's in the rules here:

If a creature has damage reduction from more than one source, the two forms of damage reduction do not stack. Instead, the creature gets the benefit of the best damage reduction in a given situation

Pebbles is even skinnier than I expected. I think the weights in the ogre's description is off: "Adult ogres stand 9 to 10 feet tall and weigh 600 to 650 pounds."

Debby

Cheiromancer
2013-08-12, 08:23 AM
Actually Damage Reduction never stacks, you use the highest one. It's in the rules here:

If a creature has damage reduction from more than one source, the two forms of damage reduction do not stack. Instead, the creature gets the benefit of the best damage reduction in a given situation.

Debby

Yes, I know it doesn't stack by default. I was wondering if it would be too good if text were added to the Thick Skin ability, allowing it to stack with, say, the DR that Barbarians get.

Debihuman
2013-08-12, 08:54 AM
There is no reason to have DR 10/- for an 8th level character. I don't think it's really fair since a barbarian gets DR 5/- at 19th level and already gets it much sooner taking the bouncer prestige class.

Debby

Cheiromancer
2013-08-12, 09:00 AM
Yeah, I think you are right about the DR.

I was wondering if this build would synergize with dungeoncrasher, but I see that Out the Window is a grapple, not a bull rush, so no.

What happens if a character would have been thrown 60 ft., but a wall gets in the way, and he only travels 10 ft.? As written he takes 1d6 damage rather than 6d6 damage. (This is nitpicky - I should probably write it in gray text!)

Debihuman
2013-08-12, 09:06 AM
The math is there for being thrown. If you are stopped by a wall or another person you take damage based on how far you were actually thrown not on how far you could have been thrown.

If you fall out of an airplane but are caught by a balloonist would you take the same falling damage as if you had hit the ground because you could have fallen that far? Nope. It's called catching a lucky break.

Debby

vinihigino
2013-08-12, 02:52 PM
What's HoN? Never heard of it.

Pebbles and Bam-Bam come from the cartoon the Flintstones. I think HoN used the same source material that I did.

And while I'm giving credit out: Bort comes from the Simpsons and the Rusty Pelican is actually a beautiful seaside restaurant in Tampa Florida.

The ioun stones were just there to give credibility for taking the name Pebbles. A club named "Bam-bam" was hardly more than serendipity.

Debby

HoN (heroes of newerth) is a moba game. Like DotA.

Here's pebbles and his signature move (throwing people in another people)

http://www.gamereplays.org/community/uploads/post-154602-1296182861.jpg

Rephath
2013-08-12, 03:44 PM
The math is there for being thrown. If you are stopped by a wall or another person you take damage based on how far you were actually thrown not on how far you could have been thrown.

If you fall out of an airplane but are caught by a balloonist would you take the same falling damage as if you had hit the ground because you could have fallen that far? Nope. It's called catching a lucky break.

Debby

Your analogy is faulty. As you fall, you accumulate speed because the earth/gravity spirits are accelerating you. When thrown, you start at full speed and slow down. You should take more damage if your journey is shortened, because the air hasn't slowed you down as much. Also, the target may rebound off the wall, for an equivalent total travel distance. He's a bouncer. Why can't he bounce people?

Debihuman
2013-08-12, 06:14 PM
Your analogy is faulty. As you fall, you accumulate speed because the earth/gravity spirits are accelerating you. When thrown, you start at full speed and slow down. You should take more damage if your journey is shortened, because the air hasn't slowed you down as much. Also, the target may rebound off the wall, for an equivalent total travel distance. He's a bouncer. Why can't he bounce people?

Actually, you aren't throwing someone "at full speed" because that would require a magnitude of strength that characters wouldn't likely have. Plus, people aren't aerodynamic and they tend to go "splat" when they land rather than bounce.

The mechanics are for distances being flung (mostly horizontal rather than vertical), I lifted from the Snatch Feat. You could also replicate some of this in other ways. Races of Stone has the Fling Ally and Fling Enemy feats. The problem was they both have Rock Hurling feat as a prerequisite and that would eat up too many feats. Pebbles actually qualifies for the Rock Hurling feat, but it didn't fit conceptually. Plus drunken patrons at the bar don't necessarily qualify as either allies or enemies. There's no "Fling Customer" feat.