PDA

View Full Version : Specialty Templates [Guaging Interest]

SeekerInTheNight
2006-12-16, 12:24 AM
I've been kicking this idea around for a while and I'd like to get a springboard set up before I actually do the grunt work for this one.

We all know what a Template is, but how about one that you can add on to a 1st level character without a change in ECL?

So I view a specialty template as something that would replace a part of your basic class and kinda switch things up a bit. Fill a nitch that isn't occupied, or enhance a party's abilities.

EDIT: So what makes a Specialty Template different from a custom Feat or a new class? Three reasons. First is the fact that it will actually be useful in your first couple of levels, instead of having to blow a whole feat tree to get ahold of the benefits. Second is that its would be more of a commitment for the players. Its like specializing in a caster school, taking your deity's domain, or choosing range vs. 2H for Rangers. Cept... for everyone else. The third reason... who wants a dedicate an entire class to something that you may only use in 10% of the campaigns you play in?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My ideas for "Specialty Templates"
(These are just quick ideas, as the saying goes on the DotA forums the numbers can be changed, vote for the concept. ^^)

Type: Anti-Caster
For: Fighters, Rogues, Rangers, Monks, Barbarians
What it does: Gives early level Spell Resistance, "manaburn" the ability to make wizards forget spells (versus the Spellthief's outright stealing of spells), or temporary disabling of the spell-casting abilities "silence" or "mute" like.
The drawbacks: Exchanging a step of HD, or special abilities, maybe even a bunch of stat points in the Rogue's case.

Type: Anti-Golem/Constructs
For: Any Class
What it does: In my games, Golems are a damn pain in the ass. Even outside my games some Golems are a damn pain in the ass. Don't you think it would be nice to be able to take the bastards apart a little more easily without getting some ridiculously obscure prestidge class?
The drawbacks: Have to dedicate a spell-slot or two, lose a HD step or an extra feat, etc.

Type: Aerial Combat
For: Fighters, Rogues, Barbarians, Bards
What it does: Gives a class that has next to no way of dealing with an enemy on the wing a bit of a fighting chance with abilities that can drop the suckers like a bad date. Net specialization, catch-poles, bolas, wing clippings...
The drawbacks: Same as above. >_>

Type: Seige Engineer
For: Anyone
What it does: My brain is starting to hitch but... it goes like this. Any noob can take potshots with a catapult, anyone can take points in a skill, but who makes a conscious effort to put a ballista spear through the eye of a cyclops without penalty modifiers up the wahoo? No-one that's who. My favorite template, because nothing says overkill like a sneak attack from a seige weapon.
The drawbacks: If you haven't gotten the pattern yet, there's no hope for you.

Mewtarthio
2006-12-16, 09:58 PM
I imagine that the uses of a Seige Engineer would be limited at best. "All right guys, lemme drag this trebuchet into the dungeon, and if we see any monsters the size of castle, they're going DOWN!"

bosssmiley
2006-12-17, 04:42 AM
You might want to look at class substitution levels (from the "Races of..." series and the "Planar Handbook" afaik) which exchange existing class features for new ones dependent upon a character's racial or extraplanar origin. They're simple and intuitive to use. They might make a suitable basis for your 'speciality template' concept.

Cheers

Rama_Lei
2006-12-17, 10:21 AM
I imagine that the uses of a Seige Engineer would be limited at best. "All right guys, lemme drag this trebuchet into the dungeon, and if we see any monsters the size of castle, they're going DOWN!"

Bewtiful. Iagree, though they be good enemies or NPCs, not so much PCs.