PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #390 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2006-12-16, 12:33 AM
New comic is up.

GM West
2006-12-16, 12:34 AM
I'm loving this air pirate! Looks like there's big changes in store for Elan. Explains his 'swashbuckler-style' entrance at the scene of the impending crime, though! Man... another cliffhanger weekend!!! Thanks, Giant!

Winged One
2006-12-16, 12:35 AM
It's true! Elan did take a level in Badass! :biggrin:

Zangor
2006-12-16, 12:36 AM
I can't wait to see some Elan's witty lines; this should be great!

Hario
2006-12-16, 12:36 AM
w00t elan finally got a prestige class, though I would like to see what it actually looks like... I might play one later..

Guildorn Tanaleth
2006-12-16, 12:38 AM
And so the forum prophesies are fulfilled. This ought to be good.

merric101
AWSOME! i love it, though im not so happy that you gave us another cliff hanger... This is going to make me think all weekend, and i dont like to think... more than i have to atleast...:smalleek:

Nerd-o-rama
Hmm...the advent of Prestige Classes. And non-Core material. New rules jokes, ahoy!

And what self-respecting Cleric would take a PrC? Totally unnecessary. Except maybe Hospitaler. Or Thaumaturgist, maybe.

FlyingCow371
Do any of the others have prestige classes? They seem to be using fairly standard abilities. Elan is a fun character.

Jonathan327
...it's the perfect Elan class. Good god.

brionl
2006-12-16, 12:40 AM
Hoody Hoo!
So, not a swashbuckler then. Good, I didn't think that was right. Anybody care to identify Julio's book though?

TakZero
2006-12-16, 12:40 AM
Huh. I guess Elan'll be the first one of the OotS to take a prestige class, then.

fruityjanitor
2006-12-16, 12:41 AM
Haha! Gogo prestige classed Elan! Sweet!

Bronzeevil
Woah, a class Elan is good at? The apocalypse is upon us!

StickMan
Yes oh my god yes that was pure gold. Elan is going to be good. Thats just odd.

Deathcow
2006-12-16, 12:42 AM
Hmm...the advent of Prestige Classes. And non-Core material. New rules jokes, ahoy!

And what self-respecting Cleric would take a PrC? Totally unnecessary. Except maybe Hospitaler. Or Thaumaturgist, maybe.

Elemental Savant for the win!

Stop looking at me like that.

Angela Christine
Heeeee!

So is that a real prestige class, or a homebrew?

musicnerd
ooh, i'm liking this development!

kenjigoku
Amazing simply amazing

Lord Edward
Great comic! And now we know how Elan's going to defeat Nale.

Aerysil
:elan: "There is something I must tell you... I am not left handed!"

*skewer* :nale:

theKOT
2006-12-16, 12:43 AM
Awesome!

This comic is good. While it is just a dialogue strip, the jokes and plot points are perfectly balanced in such a way that keeps it from dragging at all. This prestige class is a very cool idea and I really like the degree and manner of the 4th wall breaks. I can't find much wrong with this one, but it lacks importance and/or degree of hilarity to be a ten 9/10

I wonder what witty one-liners Elan will use to defeat Nale. Anyone have some ideas?

Gopher
2006-12-16, 12:46 AM
Well, the class certainly fits Elan, munchkiny or not. Great comic as usual.

Sekko
2006-12-16, 12:47 AM
I can see Elan not being able to think of any "witty one liners" when it is time. LOL

SalSar_Thiran
2006-12-16, 12:48 AM
This si perfect and suddenly Elan competance seems much more appropriate

Leo_Forestclaw
2006-12-16, 12:48 AM
You gotta love those discount bins and third party source books... ;-)

And anytime you can fit in a Star Wars reference into DnD is a golden moment for me. :-D

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-12-16, 12:49 AM
Hah! That's perfect for Elan! In fact, I really want to play that class...but I think anyone I'd play with would get a damage bonus against ME, in real life, thanks to how bad the puns would get...

Anyway, now he gets to show what his 18 Charisma is worth OVER the hood!

The Giant
2006-12-16, 12:50 AM
So is that a real prestige class, or a homebrew?

It is an invention of mine, though I won't rule out that there might be some similar class in a third-party sourcebook somewhere, since I have hardly read all such books that have come out since the advent of Third Edition. Basically, the Duelist PrC wasn't good enough because it used Intelligence too much to be useful to Elan, so I invented one more appropriate.

Atheist_Cleric
2006-12-16, 12:51 AM
Alright! The OOTS member least proficient in combat scored a prestige class that will allow him to be devastating with his weapon of choice! Sweet. Man, I hope one of the next comics is a big one of Nale and Elan fighting, with Elan totally wasting Nale with his new ability.

Wolfie_1066
2006-12-16, 12:51 AM
It's true! Elan did take a level in Badass! :biggrin:

horay for Elan! i wonder what all the abilitys will be like...i bet Roys just going to loooovee this :smallamused: and by that i mean that were going to ahve a repeat of this strip: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0141.html HORAY FOR ELAN!

(PS: im not sure if the link is working right and i dont know how to make it so that theres a quote where the link is)

Sky_Schemer
2006-12-16, 12:52 AM
The giant crossbows on the side of the airship are a nice touch. :smallsmile:

Bruenor
2006-12-16, 12:52 AM
Awesome!

:elan: Whats a Padawan?

:Pirate: You're better off not knowing...

brionl
2006-12-16, 12:53 AM
It is an invention of mine, though I won't rule out that there might be some similar class in a third-party sourcebook somewhere, since I have hardly read all such books that have come out since the advent of Third Edition. Basically, the Duelist PrC wasn't good enough because it used Intelligence too much to be useful to Elan, so I invented one more appropriate.

Argh, brain burning, must see OGL writeup for Dashing Swordsman...
Tastes like vermillion,:eek: losing conscious...

mikeejimbo
2006-12-16, 12:53 AM
Awesome! A class that attacks with PUNS.

And Elan DID take a PrC! Wow!

Or, he might have, anyway...still, it's neat.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2006-12-16, 12:56 AM
Elan multiclassed? Oh, wow.

So does this mean that Elan's not going to be wearing the cape-and-chain-shirt outfit any more? I'd imagine such a prestiege class would have an armor restriction...

Mr._Wilson
2006-12-16, 12:58 AM

I'm half tempted not to ask for the write up to be published on the site, seeing as that might take away some of the suprise features of the class at higher levels in the comic itself, but I admit I'm very interested in seeing a work up on this class, for purely selfish reasons as I tend to play high Cha characters.

Do you have any plans to put your write up for the PrC on the website, Giant?

The comic itself was very good as well, and I agree, it's probably for the best Elan not understand what a padawan is.

Sky_Schemer
2006-12-16, 12:58 AM

It's a fabulous concept.

Of course, now you've made more work for yourself. You have to think of a bunch witty lines for Elan when he's in combat. :smallbiggrin:

Jades
2006-12-16, 01:02 AM
There's a feat in a book written by Mongoose called Weapon Pinachee, that allows you to use CHA instead of STR with Rapiers.

I love how this is working out.

Lex Sandar
2006-12-16, 01:05 AM
Well, there's always Arcane Duelist. Charisma bonus to AC, a number of potentially useful abilities... too bad it has the Attack Bonus of a mage, but since it adds more to the magic of your weapon, makes up for it.
And it's WoTC. Go Web Enhancement. Easy enough to do a search and find it, it's on the WoTC site.

yuccadude
2006-12-16, 01:06 AM
I think everyone was better off not knowing what a padawan was...

Yendal
2006-12-16, 01:08 AM
:thog: Yay for not-nale!

Tomada
2006-12-16, 01:08 AM
dashing swordsman? Who woulda think that?

Suki_the_Pure
2006-12-16, 01:09 AM
There's a feat in a book written by Mongoose called Weapon Pinachee, that allows you to use CHA instead of STR with Rapiers.

Pinachee doesn't sound as heroic as Dashing Swordsman

Levels in Badass, indeed.

THIS RAWKS SO HARD! Is it Monday yet?

Solmage
2006-12-16, 01:09 AM
Oh My God.

Can the world continue to exist with a pseudo-competent Elan in it? Tune in next week to find out! ;)

PS: Wohooo for obscure bard-ideal prestige class :)

Angela Christine
2006-12-16, 01:11 AM
It's a fabulous concept.

Of course, now you've made more work for yourself. You have to think of a bunch witty lines for Elan when he's in combat. :smallbiggrin:

A witty pun, or a catchphrase. If the puns get too difficult to come up with on the spur of the moment he can always invent a catch phrase. How hard can it be?

Spoon!
I like squirrels!
Go for the eyes, Boo. Go for the eyes!
You are the weakest link. Goodbye.
By the power of Greyskull!
Kiss my grits!

Even Elan is smart enough to come up with a catchphrase.

Leo_Forestclaw
It's a fabulous concept.

Non, non - "witty line or Chat Phrase." The Gian't has given himself a sneaky out for those horrid nights or writer blockage.

I can't wait to hear what Elan would choose as his catch phrase...
Whenever Haley is in need, Elan will heed!
Banjo's Lute guide me!
Smite uggieness!

OK, I'm more of a fanatic druid/ranger (I still love the ol' Shadoweir specialty priest kit from v2.5), catch phrases ain't my thing.

OK, AC, get off my brainwave... ;-)

Charity322
Wonder what Thog's getting up to while left alone. :smalleek:

What is a third party sourcebook? One not approved by wizards of the coast?

gadren
Hmmm... Is there any chance you will be posting this prestige class like other gaming materials you have published under the gaming section?

Tomada
2006-12-16, 01:12 AM

There ARE classes that use charisma for basically everything. Saves (don't remember), AC (snowflake wardance), attack and damage (don't remember as well) and much more...

If you just ask around nifty (wich you don't do for a lot of time) or in the char op boards in wizzies this should that about 5 minutes to get an answer.

Wolfie_1066

Levels in Badass, indeed.

THIS RAWKS SO HARD! Is it Monday yet?

I cant wait to see the Competent Elan in action! its a repete of comic 141!!! whoopieee!!!! *watches clock* come on...come on....come on...GET TO MONDAY ALREADY!

DGM
"or spout a catch-phrase when you attack." Hmm... Maybe Inigo Montoya was a Dashing Swordsman?

So now Roy has to not only has to cope with Elan becoming almost as useful as himself in a fight, but also with Elan either chanting the same catch-phrase again and again or making horrible puns with every attack. I wonder how long he can take the pun-ishment.

Blaznak
2006-12-16, 01:14 AM
Wheeeee! A prestige class? Nifty! Is this the first one for an OOTS party member?

Not that I'm convinced it will work out the way it suggests... This is ELAN after all that we are dealing with! Still, a nifty plot twist once again!

I can't wait for this story to continue!

Hmmm... well, actually, I think I have to. I mean, I don't write this strip so I guess I do have to wait! ACK! Too confusing....

Later!

Tomada
2006-12-16, 01:14 AM
"or spout a catch-phrase when you attack." Hmm... Maybe Inigo Montoya was a Dashing Swordsman?

So now Roy has to not only has to cope with Elan becoming almost as useful as himself in a fight, but also with Elan either chanting the same catch-phrase again and again or making horrible puns with every attack. I wonder how long he can take the pun-ishment.

Or how long before their enemies surrender...

brionl
2006-12-16, 01:15 AM

I sure hope you mean Panache and not Pinachee. Cyrano de Bergerac has panache. Julio has panache.
:smallwink:

Suki_the_Pure
2006-12-16, 01:15 AM
I imagine Elan will drop the Prestige class for some reason after rescuing his friends.

But one day, when Elan must once again save the day, he shall take up the rapier and again become... the Dashing Swordsman!

Nerd-o-rama
2006-12-16, 01:18 AM
It's a great idea, Giant. For your future reference, there are a couple feats out there that add CHA to damage, and at least two of them are designed for Bards. One requires allies, and one requires it to be snowing, though. Plus, neither are OGC, so it's good you made something up anyway.

Silly Spooky Lawyers.

Holy_Knight
2006-12-16, 01:19 AM

Not just puns--it can be a catch-phrase, too. Anyone else see something along the lines of "SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!" coming?

As for Elan taking a new class in general... honestly, I have mixed feelings about it. Part of me would have liked to see him save the day using just his abilities from before. On the other hand, I do have to admit that from the looks of it, this Dashing Swordsman class would just be an extension of part of who he is already. To be very literal about it, he's always been both dashing and a swordsman. To be less literal, he always was a finesse combatant who was fairly proficient in agile maneuvers. So I guess all in all I think it will be good, although I have a few reservations. Mostly I just hope that he doesn't change too much, since that would be a little sad.

"Continue, continue, continue, continue to be a bard at heart!"

Also, who else thinks that Elan's catch phrase of choice will end up being something totally ridiculous that drives Roy up the wall?

Or what about something which incorporates his transformation from his seemingly weak, use-impaired self to a powerful force to vanquish evil?

Mild-mannered Elan draws his rapier, and:

:elan: By the power of Banjo... IIIIIIIII HAAAAVE THE POWERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He can even do his own theme music!

Lauren
2006-12-16, 01:20 AM
Brilliant. Yay for random mentor-type bloke!

Rusty
2006-12-16, 01:20 AM

Radiant Servant of Pelor is nice, as it's just regular Cleric with even more benefits. :) (though you DO only have d6 for HD with it)

Combat Medic (Heroes of Battle) is also an awesome Cleric PrC, though it also only gives d6 for HD.

Anywho, nice comic. Gotta love those third-party Prestige Classes!

Suki_the_Pure
2006-12-16, 01:21 AM
Hey, you think that since he seems to have realized his love for Haley, the +2 Circumstance bonus will kick in?

Maybe it already has. What are the odds of meeting a Dashing Swordsman in a bar while looking for a corkscrew?

Wolfie_1066
2006-12-16, 01:25 AM
i agree i think the Circumstance bonus has been driveing his skills up the wall! ...btw i love the thing BANJO IS MY GOD OF CHOISE!

GenericFighter
2006-12-16, 01:25 AM
...Basically, the Duelist PrC wasn't good enough because it used Intelligence too much to be useful to Elan...

Yes, I think we can all see how that would be a big stumbling block for him. Or rather, a gigantic wall he runs into, falls on his back and then the wall falls on top of him.

Now, Elan trying super witty catchphrases?

:elan: "SPOON!"

EDIT: Gah! Beaten to the punch by Angela Christine. I am filled with shame...

Lycar
2006-12-16, 01:26 AM
:elan: Me ? Take a prestige class ? But i thought they were only for munchkins ! Or maybe clerics !

Oh that one SO made my day !:smallbiggrin:

No, no i don't have anything against clerics. Especially not against DMMing persistant Divine Favoured and Righteous Mighted clerics.

Nothing effective that is. Thats the problem. :smallfrown:

Oh and to everybody who does not know who or what a padawan is: If you really don't know, you are indeed better of remaining blissfully ignorant. :smallamused:

Lycar

PS: And Elan always filled the bill for Dashing Swordman: Just look back at comic No 61 ! There you have it all.. catchphrase, feinting, tumble check... what more do you want ?

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-12-16, 01:30 AM
The giant crossbows on the side of the airship are a nice touch. :smallsmile:

Hah, I missed that, that's awesome! Thanks for pointing it out!

Also, I have this random vision of Julio dying soon as a parody of mentors who always have to die. Elan'll be standing over his dying body, swearing oaths & saying how important Julio's influence was, totally missing his pleas for Elan to bring messages to his family & friends.

But that's a little morbid, so nix it. Also, the availability of resurrection (especially considering I'm sure he's got a huge stockpile of wealth, as a pirate) makes the scenario doubtful.

Winged One
2006-12-16, 01:30 AM
I just thought of something...
Now that Elan has a PrC(or will soon), that means Nale might get one as well, in the interest of maintaining evil oposition. Blackguard, anyone?

eilandesq
2006-12-16, 01:31 AM
Of course, this raises the problem of Elan not *having* a new level right now to devote to the new nifty prestige class. However, I suspect that Elan will quickly come up with the appropriate solution:

:elan: "Re-train, re-train, re-train during the thrilling montage!"

Wolfie_1066
2006-12-16, 01:40 AM
I just thought of something...
Now that Elan has a PrC(or will soon), that means Nale might get one as well, in the interest of maintaining evil oposition. Blackguard, anyone?

Yes but theres a problem with that...you cant multiclass for more then 3 classes at once (as far as i know) and he is already a well...
fighter/rogue/sorcerer but we all know that already im just doing this so that new readers dont get this :smallannoyed:
this means he will not be able to presease class...besides taht he might not ahve the proper skills and/or feats

and also i noticed those antics in strip 61 i thought that might come in to defeat name but now we have a new route to add with it

Laman_Stahros
2006-12-16, 01:41 AM
Wonder what Thog's getting up to while left alone. :smalleek:

What is a third party sourcebook? One not approved by wizards of the coast?
Third party sourcebooks are any book published for D&D by a company other than WotC.

Laman_Stahros
2006-12-16, 01:42 AM
Yes but theres a problem with that...you cant multiclass for more then 3 classes at once (as far as i know) and he is already a well...
fighter/rogue/sorcerer but we all know that already im just doing this so that new readers dont get this :smallannoyed:
this means he will not be able to presease class...besides taht he might not ahve the proper skills and/or feats
There are no limits to the number of classes you can have.

Wolfie_1066
2006-12-16, 01:44 AM
lol really? i dident know...i guess i play NWN too much ive never played 3.5 rules in P&P. i want to play P&P more but...there are no groups that i know about in my area

PS: please do NOT double post...its anoying and your acting like a spammer...no offence but jsut edit a post when you need to say something again

it17
2006-12-16, 01:46 AM
I was going to ask how charisma could be used do deal extra damage.

I came up with two possable answers:

Like a Bard the dashing swordsman picks up tips from its mentors and contacts about how do to more damage with a sword or rapier.

My other theory is that Puns are a new form of energy type and damage. The next new thing will be a Ring of Energy Resistance: Puns.
(quickly runs to seceret magic lab to make new product.):smallsmile:

Helgraf
2006-12-16, 01:47 AM

and also i noticed those antics in strip 61 i thought that might come in to defeat name but now we have a new route to add with it

Blatantly incorrect. You can add as many classes as you want as long as you keep the levels of your non-favored classes within 1 level of each other - otherwise you take -20% penalty per class out of 'alignment'.

Additionally, prestige classes ignore this rule entirely. As long as you make the prerequisities you can enter a PC without any fear of taking a penalty for multiclassing.

Cybren
2006-12-16, 01:49 AM
I'd say it might not stick considering how most authors don't like locking characters into a repetitive "schtick" after a while, and forcing him to use 'witty' dialogue too often can just get boring, but look how long Haley-Speech is lasting..

ARMOURERERIC
2006-12-16, 01:51 AM
Catchphase:

"I am the terror that raps in the night"

For you padawan's out there:

Enlightened in combat skills our favorite bard becomming she is.

(Yoda, get back into the dog carrier)

MY DOOM IS USING TIN FOIL IN THE MICROWAVE

Jades
2006-12-16, 01:54 AM
I sure hope you mean Panache and not Pinachee. Cyrano de Bergerac has panache. Julio has panache.
:smallwink:

Yep, Its midnight here, so my error is forgivable. *hypnosis rays*

Wolfie_1066
2006-12-16, 01:55 AM
Technically they were useing the padawan thing as a Starwars joke :smallwink:

but i dont think you want to know what a RL padawan is...otherwise i would be labeld as a sicko

Jades
2006-12-16, 02:00 AM
Catchphase:

"I am the terror that raps in the night"

Darkwing Duck??? NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Magnavolt! Save me! Liquidator! Bushwack'd!?! Where are you???

J_Muller
2006-12-16, 02:01 AM
Excellent comic. Nice job Giant.

Ainr
2006-12-16, 02:07 AM
Retracted.

Pigeon
2006-12-16, 02:14 AM
I smell Monkey Island references coming up.

You fight like a cow!

Nikolai_II
2006-12-16, 02:17 AM
:elan: Me ? Take a prestige class ? But i thought they were only for munchkins ! Or maybe clerics !

Oh that one SO made my day !:smallbiggrin:

No, no i don't have anything against clerics. Especially not against DMMing persistant Divine Favoured and Righteous Mighted clerics.

:roach: How about sorcerers? Has anyone ever seen a sorcerer without a prestige class?

:durkon: Aye. Thar be reasons, even if not many, tha a cleric would nae get a prestige class, but sorcerers? Nae any.

Delgarde
2006-12-16, 02:18 AM
Elan multiclassed? Oh, wow.

So does this mean that Elan's not going to be wearing the cape-and-chain-shirt outfit any more? I'd imagine such a prestiege class would have an armor restriction...

Not necessarily. The Duelist class has that restriction, but that's balancing the fact that they add their intelligence bonus to defense.

While not a prestige class, Swashbuckler is probably a better example - it adds intelligence to damage but not defense, and has only the same restriction as a bard already has (nothing more than light armor). It also has some other features that'd be useful to Elan, like reduced restrictions on charging (e.g down stairs, leaping from balconies). If Dashing Swordsman is similar to that, it'll be pretty cool.

AtomicKitKat
2006-12-16, 02:19 AM
So, does Spider-man have levels in an Unarmed variant of this class? :P

This comment will probably get ignored(plus I seldom check these comic threads more than once after the new one gets posted), but Charisma to damage already exists, in the form of Smite. I think. Ok, so only as a bonus to hit. Charisma affects "Turning Damage" though, right? :P

hgtff
2006-12-16, 02:19 AM
I wonder what witty one-liners Elan will use to defeat Nale. Anyone have some ideas?

:elan: "You fight like a dairy farmer"

Aidan305
2006-12-16, 02:23 AM
I confess myself as to being curious as to wether or not the giant has written this class up and intends to put it on the website. I'd certainly be interested in it.

denelian
2006-12-16, 02:24 AM
i SAID Dread Pirate Roberts, did i not?????????

and haley can even play buttercup. only a buttercup who does more than whine like a little... brat.

which makes thog fessic and roy inigo... except the kobald was inigo. but roy ALSO went for the whole "you killed my father" thing...

but this all only works if you picture Belkar as the Albino..........

pita
2006-12-16, 02:34 AM
I'm just hoping it gets posted on these forums or in the gaming articles.
Or in a Legends and Lairs book.

Felinoid
2006-12-16, 02:38 AM
Bleh. A couple smirks at the jokes, but otherwise unimpressive. Not the worst Rich has ever done (which is still miles better than this Erfworld thing), but pretty close.

Mathias_Tanavar
2006-12-16, 02:42 AM
I have played a very similar class to this 'Dashing Swordman' (I think it may have been heroic or romantic swordsman)... but i won't write any of the class features down for fear of

SPOILERS

Zebasiz
2006-12-16, 02:50 AM
Awesome! Pure awesome in Webcomic form. :D
Will the class be posted for viewing pleasure?

Ragamuffin
2006-12-16, 03:08 AM

You fight like a cow!

QFE on that, man.

Ghull_Ka
2006-12-16, 03:10 AM
Awesome strip!

I must say that I'd somewhat lost interest in following the OotS lately, but this one made me smile, and for the first time, really view Elan as someone with more potential than just being... well... what he's been thus far. That's worth a lot, I think.

pita
2006-12-16, 03:16 AM
Now a new thread is going to start. It will when Nale is defeated by Elan. It will be called "Who is a better warrior: Elan or Roy or Belkar?"

Niveus Candidus
2006-12-16, 03:42 AM
Have you played World of Warcraft Rich? If not...

Nocens! Dashing Rogue and intrepid Adventurer, greets you! I see you have found the secret to my success, mon ami. Use it wisely, and it will take you far. Au revoir... au revoir...

Holy_Knight
2006-12-16, 03:47 AM
Have you played World of Warcraft Rich? If not...

Nocens! Dashing Rogue and intrepid Adventurer, greets you! I see you have found the secret to my success, mon ami. Use it wisely, and it will take you far. Au revoir... au revoir...

I've played World of Warcraft, but I don't get this reference.

robinmotion
2006-12-16, 03:52 AM
Now a new thread is going to start. It will when Nale is defeated by Elan. It will be called "Who is a better warrior: Elan or Roy or Belkar?"

Nah, I bet Elan will end up as his normal self after this arc. 'Cause Elan as a tough fighter just isn't funny. And this is how it'll probably happen:

Sabine has an energy drain attack. So Elan kicks Nale's butt, rescues Haley, but gets tagged by Sabine and loses a level. He has to make a Fort save 24 hours later, and fails miserably. Back to the lovable but useless Elan we all know.

Atalan
2006-12-16, 03:58 AM
So am I the only person thinking less Inigo Montoya and more Guybrush Threepwood for this new class?

:nale: - Soon you'll be wearing my sword like a shish kebab!
:elan: - First you'd better stop waving it around like a feather duster!
:nale: - :O *PWND*

~The Patriots~
2006-12-16, 04:24 AM
This is great! Elan is now usefull! Punchline made me laugh too

Elurindel
2006-12-16, 04:25 AM
The Giant is awesome! I so love this new character.

Persil the White
2006-12-16, 04:42 AM
I wonder if the giant reads a magazine called Private Eye - I doubt it but in PI therer is a running joke about stories that continue on p94 - only page 94 doesn't exist. Or maybe it was just coincidence. Gave me an extra (english) joke to laugh at even if unintentional :smallsmile:

Ronald_saveloy
2006-12-16, 04:48 AM
I know this kind of PrC from a different System, where we use it as a houserule. If your Character is in a cloak-and-dagger-style melee, you can try to insult your oppenent by verbally formulating the insult and then make a roll on Charisma. If you succeed, the opponent will temporarily loose some skill points in fighthing, thus giving you an advantage in the next rounds. Heck, if you roll a natural 20, the opponent might even run away, screaming like a little girl! It's definitely worth in swashbuckling campains.

JoeKano
2006-12-16, 05:03 AM
I like Elan and Belkar strips, they my two favourites so I gotta say im loving this current story arc....ooooh who am I kidding Ive loved the whole thing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Halcyon
2006-12-16, 05:09 AM
Of course, no-one said the puns or catchphrases have to be appropriate to the situation:

:nale:: Ah! So my brother returns! I won't let you deny my this time, Elan!
:elan:: How appropriate! You fight like a cow! *STAB*

Pantler
2006-12-16, 05:11 AM
Hah! For the first time I can actually say I DID see more Monkey Island references coming :elan: GO ELAN!! As well as - go home-made prestige classes and house-ruled in spells! :smallbiggrin:

Adeptus
2006-12-16, 05:33 AM

Good call.

Poor Elan has to get (a bit) more serious, but then the whole world is under threat (not to mention his friends).

I sure hope he also get's a fighting-skill bonus. It's not much help to make more damage on a hit, if you can't score a hit to begin with...

Adeptus
2006-12-16, 05:35 AM
Nah, I bet Elan will end up as his normal self after this arc. 'Cause Elan as a tough fighter just isn't funny. And this is how it'll probably happen:

Sabine has an energy drain attack. So Elan kicks Nale's butt, rescues Haley, but gets tagged by Sabine and loses a level. He has to make a Fort save 24 hours later, and fails miserably. Back to the lovable but useless Elan we all know.

But Elan as a wisecracking Eroll Flynn type is pretty hilarious. He doesn't have to change that much. He will still be silly and annoy Roy with the bad puns.

Anthea
2006-12-16, 05:38 AM
Yes, that was my first thought in that. Pirate? Learning swordfighting from a "swordmaster"? Use a Pun with each attack?
At least Elan can put afterwards the airship into his pocket :smallbiggrin:

Demented
2006-12-16, 05:40 AM
He'll annoy Roy all the more BECAUSE he's useful.
More or less.
He's probably still more useful to the party as a bard, when they're not trying to do something that requires discretion.

Kaerou
2006-12-16, 05:47 AM
Awesome comic Rich, and hahaha.. i cant wait to see Roy's face when Elan becomes a great warrior too!

Also.. i love the sound of that prestige class! Do you think you can write it up for us? :D

Estelindis
2006-12-16, 05:51 AM
Definitely! No two ways about it.

I wonder how long [Roy] can take the pun-ishment.
Arrghh! Welcome to the House of Pun?

In any case, that was a great strip. Not as lough out loud high-larious as some of the others, but very witty - and it really furthered the plot. Now I can't wait to see how Elan deals with Nale and saves Haley...

Selvan
2006-12-16, 05:51 AM
This is gonna be fun!

Swordmaster: I will milk every drop of blood from your body!
Guybrush: How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

Arancaytar
2006-12-16, 05:52 AM
as long as you spout a witty pun or catchphrase when you attack

*stab* "Ha! Naled you!"

TreesOfDeath
2006-12-16, 05:54 AM
Elan already defeated Nale in a duel

battleburn
2006-12-16, 06:00 AM
Exactly, my young padawanCould this be foreshadowing on the abillities that come with the prestige class?
I liked this one. It explains a lot about the way Elan entered in 386 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0386.html). I'm starting to understand why we got this flashback. In the discussion in 386 I was on the side of the people that didn't want an interruption of the storyline. I'm starting to slide to the other side now.

Great work Rich,
-Battleburn

kaairn
2006-12-16, 06:02 AM
Great comic giant, this one kept me quite amused, and YAY for Elan, I just knew he'd be getting a Duelist style PRC. This has made me a very happy man and roll on those monkey island references :smallbiggrin:

divine
2006-12-16, 06:06 AM
Elan is finally going to come into his potential and be a badass.. nice <3

warmachine
2006-12-16, 07:19 AM
Prestige classes can be for clerics as well as munchkins. I play a cleric. I wish to learn more.

Manga Shoggoth
2006-12-16, 07:28 AM
A Prestige Class on Page 94...?

I found that funny for what I suspect are all the wrong reasons. In the UK we have a (satirical) magazine called "Private Eye", which uses the phrase "Continued on Page 94" in the middle of long, rambling articles. There is, of course, no Page 94 in the magazine.

Of course, I doubt that the Giant reads Private Eye...

Edit: Blast! Persil got there first!

Sebastian
2006-12-16, 07:36 AM
...it's the perfect Elan class. Good god.

I don't know, there is that part about "witty puns" that worry me a little.

Xenon
2006-12-16, 07:43 AM
is anyone else seeing elan in a spiderman outfit? illusion?

puns +4 damage though... im a bit worried. puns tend to do that damage to everyone in earshot, or able to read. my god, what if a first level wizard with low con is reading this comic?!?

KIDS
2006-12-16, 07:45 AM
zomg, nerf elan!

seriously, this was one of the best ever. Average str and dex, my precious? :) Plus, with his int score, I think that Elan won't always be able to utilize "witty remarks", unless he learns them by heart. I smell something like Monkey Island combat!!!

Azukar
2006-12-16, 07:51 AM
Is it just me, or did other people get warm fuzzy feelings at the end of this strip? I just feel all of a sudden like the comic is at a turning point!:smallbiggrin:
</overexcitement>

Sebastian
2006-12-16, 08:00 AM
Even Elan is smart enough to come up with a catchphrase.

Catchprases are all about theatrics, and if there is a thing Elan knows is theatrics, so, yeah, those should works fine for him.

teratorn
2006-12-16, 08:03 AM

Elan is not gifted for puns or even catch phrases. The only remarkable thing I remember him saying was the "Roy has boobies." thing. His catch phrase will probably be something like "I don't get it."

This is just so not Elan-ish.

smellie_hippie
2006-12-16, 08:07 AM
Tee hee! I loved the Star Wars joke at the end. "You're better off not knowing..." Priceless! With witty comebacks, :elan: will become a force to
be reckoned with!

Skydiving_Ninja
2006-12-16, 08:14 AM
If Elan doesn't say "How appropriate, you fight like a dairy farmer" sometime in this story arc, I will be gravely disappointed.

Otherwise, I hope the Giant posts the Dashing Swordsman class on his site sometime soon.

nadira
2006-12-16, 08:18 AM
Oh my this is truly GREAT!
Does this class sound like Monkey Island duels only to me?
Awesome, Elan is so Guybrush :biggrin:

edit: Indeed I should have checked pages 3-4. Yay for all you fellow MI fans out there! (and how about Xykon = LeChuck? Kinda far-fetched but I love 'em undead)

Blood
2006-12-16, 08:18 AM
Good, good. Elan gets to be more useful and gets witty lines!

charik
2006-12-16, 08:39 AM
OK, five pages and no one's said this yet: who'd'a thunk Rapier Wit would be a class ability? :elan:

Zasheir
2006-12-16, 08:41 AM
Mmmm...That PrC kinda reminds me of Monkey Island 1 :amused:

:nale: "I'm not going to take your insolence sitting down!"

:elan: "Your hemorrhoids are flaring up again, eh?"

Oh my. Now I *have* to take levels in that class.

But then, can't help but notice I've said nothing new on this thread. Oh well. I'll just sit here in this corner with my tiny little piece of personal nerdish amusement until Monday. :|

kerberos
2006-12-16, 08:56 AM
Elan already defeated Nale in a duel
No he hasn't, he has fought a couple of inconclusive rounds with Nale. Something else entirely.

Grumblin
2006-12-16, 09:02 AM
pffft to Monkey Island..

I see Princess Bride coming up :tongue:

kerberos
2006-12-16, 09:05 AM
pffft to Monkey Island..

I see Princess Bride coming up :tongue:
Been done once already, Monkey Island FTW!

TroyXavier
2006-12-16, 09:54 AM
Elan prestige classing....cool...now of course I wanna see the PrC as I want to use it for a character concept I have. Great comic btw.

skinkatlarge
2006-12-16, 10:19 AM
Elan is not gifted for puns or even catch phrases. The only remarkable thing I remember him saying was the "Roy has boobies." thing. His catch phrase will probably be something like "I don't get it."

This is just so not Elan-ish.
Oh, dear. As you point out, Elan already has a catch phrase. You people who are predicting that Roy will be annoyed by Elan's new fighting skillz and puns - how do you think Roy'll be when he finds out that "Roy has boobies!" has become Elan's default when he can't come up with a witty remark in combat? :smallbiggrin:

And charik, yeah, I was thinking of the Rapier Wit GURPS advantage too, if that's what you were referring to.

PhoenixRising
2006-12-16, 10:26 AM
I DM a campaign which is higher on roleplay than rollplay, and I just added a Prestige Class. Hellz yeah! (Sorry, mods, not sure if I can say that, but I couldn't resist) :biggrin:

PhoenixRising
2006-12-16, 10:33 AM
Catchprases are all about theatrics, and if there is a thing Elan knows is theatrics, so, yeah, those should works fine for him.

I'd make one addition to this, that the Dashing Swordsman gets a bonus if they attack at the (CRITICAL MOMENT) or something similar, like when they waited until the explosion was right there, then he/(she) gets a special bonus to everything as if they'd made the witty pun or catchphrase. The same should be true of dramatic moves that are described as to look impressive. I also added a special class ability:

Only in Hollywood
The Dashing Swordsman has the ability to do anything necessary to advance the plot or save his/her lover(s) (be they male or female). This ability may only be used once per week, or against ECLs 5 greater than the party. The character automatically hits, may roll d20 against taking damage, moves at 40 feet per round, and gains Jack of All Trades for the duration of the effect. The duration varies based on situation. If the character is dying, they are immediately restored to full HP.

You can tell from all the necessary parentheses that I have an odd group, and I know the rule sounds overpowered, but I'll be making the group get permission to use it. Anyone who has played Gears of War knows it is somewhat like the Hammer of Dawn. Limited in its use, but amazing when it comes.

kerberos
2006-12-16, 10:34 AM
Basically, the Duelist PrC wasn't good enough because it used Intelligence too much to be useful to Elan, so I invented one more appropriate.

Thanks. *runs of happily to smack the "Elan is smarter than Roy" crowd with Giant quote*

Deckmaster
2006-12-16, 10:34 AM
Is anyone else hearing Sean Connery whenever Julio speaks?

Sky_Schemer
2006-12-16, 10:40 AM
but look how long Haley-Speech is lasting..

Uh. That's not a good example. There are a significant number of people posting on the forums who are tired of this.

LurkerBeneath
2006-12-16, 10:44 AM

Weapon Panache might sound better when spelled correctly.
-LB

Edit: Oops, I missed brionl's post. Sorry for the duplication.

LurkerBeneath
2006-12-16, 10:47 AM
You are the weakest link. Goodbye.

Anne Robinson for the win!
-LB

KeiranHalcyon
2006-12-16, 10:51 AM
Bleh. A couple smirks at the jokes, but otherwise unimpressive. Not the worst Rich has ever done (which is still miles better than this Erfworld thing), but pretty close.Oh come on, it was at least better than the string of Final Fantasy references I didn't get. (And although I'm tempted to agree about Erfworld, I don't think it's had time to come into its own yet.)

And since this happens every time there's a reference to something real-world in the comic: What's Monkey Island, and how's it relevent to the current happenings?

Ronald_saveloy
2006-12-16, 11:01 AM
This all sounds a lot like Feng Shui - Action Movie Roleplay. (http://www.atlas-games.com/fengshui/)

Big_Red_Bird
2006-12-16, 11:01 AM
Very good comic. More than made up for the whole un-funny string of Elan and Thog comics.

Taffer
2006-12-16, 11:13 AM
The Monkey Island games were a series of old LucasArts adventure games. Really fun and funny, the swordfighting system was basically an insult fight. To attack, you would choose from a list of openers, and to defend you would need to match the appropriate retort to your opponent's insult. A few examples:

<insult> Nobody´s ever drawn blood from me and no body ever will.
<comeback>You run THAT fast?

<insult> You fight like a dairy farmer.
<comeback>How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

<insult> There are no clever moves that can help you now.
<comeback>Yes there are. You just never learned them.

LurkerBeneath
2006-12-16, 11:14 AM
What's Monkey Island, and how's it relevent to the current happenings?

Monkey Island games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_Island_series)
-LB

Jefepato
2006-12-16, 11:25 AM

The WotC website had something called the Arcane Duelist, which was Charisma-powered, but frankly it's not very powerful.

Jefepato
2006-12-16, 11:32 AM
By the way, Giant, is there any chance we'll see the Dashing Swordsman class written up? (Maybe as a bonus in whatever book this story arc is printed in?)

mikeejimbo
2006-12-16, 11:48 AM

Yes, I think Inigo Montoya was a Dashing Swordsman. It seems fitting, he is dashing.

And ouch, I take pun damage.

Radiant Servant of Pelor is nice, as it's just regular Cleric with even more benefits. :) (though you DO only have d6 for HD with it)

Combat Medic (Heroes of Battle) is also an awesome Cleric PrC, though it also only gives d6 for HD.

I'm going to take two levels of Heirophant as a Cleric, myself.

Hey, you think that since he seems to have realized his love for Haley, the +2 Circumstance bonus will kick in?

Maybe it already has. What are the odds of meeting a Dashing Swordsman in a bar while looking for a corkscrew?

Well considering that it's Elan, pretty good. He's all about awesome coincidences.

Also, I have this random vision of Julio dying soon as a parody of mentors who always have to die. Elan'll be standing over his dying body, swearing oaths & saying how important Julio's influence was, totally missing his pleas for Elan to bring messages to his family & friends.

But that's a little morbid, so nix it. Also, the availability of resurrection (especially considering I'm sure he's got a huge stockpile of wealth, as a pirate) makes the scenario doubtful.

It could make a funny scene though, he's dying and Elan is making vows and monologuing over his body, and then he says "Um, you can just get me resurrected, you know."

Tariskat
2006-12-16, 11:55 AM
This is probably obvious to the rest of you- there's more D&D players than anything in this corner of the web. But, because I am not, I don't see how Elan can get a whole new class in the time it takes the airship to get to the city. Doesn't he need to fight or defeat something to be able to get new ranks and classes and things? Could someone explain this to me (in a non-malicious way)?

Thanks

Lord Zentei
2006-12-16, 11:55 AM
Heh, Errol Flynn style heroism ftw. :smallwink: Now I want to try out this prestige class too.

PLZ post details in the gaming forum. :smallbiggrin:

Nightfall
2006-12-16, 12:19 PM
...and Elan's only got three days, tops, to become adept in this new PrC? Heh heh heh...this should be good...

:nale: "You are without doubt the worst Swashbuckler I've ever heard of."

:elan: "But you HAVE heard of me!"

nadira
2006-12-16, 12:28 PM
Is anyone else hearing Sean Connery whenever Julio speaks?

There you go, the reference I couldn't pinpoint! Highlander! :smallbiggrin:

Ing
2006-12-16, 12:55 PM

Any chance of you actually posting up the stats to it? It sounds great.

brionl
2006-12-16, 01:01 PM
This is probably obvious to the rest of you- there's more D&D players than anything in this corner of the web. But, because I am not, I don't see how Elan can get a whole new class in the time it takes the airship to get to the city. Doesn't he need to fight or defeat something to be able to get new ranks and classes and things? Could someone explain this to me (in a non-malicious way)?

Thanks

You don't just get exp for killing monsters:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0125.html

You also get story awards for completing objectives and forwarding the plot. So Elan should have got some exp for escaping from jail. And we've also seen that after they get enough exp for leveling they have some time to pick a new class (same sequence).

morbiczer
2006-12-16, 01:20 PM
I didn't like the Elan - Thog strips so far much, but this new plot twist really rocks.

Felistor
2006-12-16, 02:00 PM
Well, there's always Arcane Duelist. Charisma bonus to AC, a number of potentially useful abilities... too bad it has the Attack Bonus of a mage, but since it adds more to the magic of your weapon, makes up for it.
And it's WoTC. Go Web Enhancement. Easy enough to do a search and find it, it's on the WoTC site.

Arcane Duelist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030224a) is 100% badass, (I know ... I've played one that really abused it) but the class abilities don't fit Elan as well as this new class, and
proper minmaxing/number crunching for the Arcane Duelist's the best ability (Dextrous attack) is well beyond what I think Elan's player is capable of.

Brother_Hood
2006-12-16, 02:01 PM
This should be good. :D

teratorn
2006-12-16, 02:09 PM
I'm divided, there might be something in terms of good jokes but it won't be the Elan we all know and love **. As someone put it

:roy: : the bard is as dumb as a box of moldy carrots!

Of course the Giant may be thinking on giving us some very very bad puns.

** in a strictly heterosexual "buddies" kind of way. Not that there is anything wrong with the alternative

Ing
2006-12-16, 02:19 PM
Elan's catch phrase

Roy has boobies

plainsfox
2006-12-16, 02:35 PM
i SAID Dread Pirate Roberts, did i not?????????

and haley can even play buttercup. only a buttercup who does more than whine like a little... brat.

which makes thog fessic and roy inigo... except the kobald was inigo. but roy ALSO went for the whole "you killed my father" thing...

but this all only works if you picture Belkar as the Albino..........

:elan:: Thog, jog his memory!
:thog: : *Thwamp* *sound of Belkar's body hitting the ground* Thog jog little man's memory too hard.

works for me.

Bilbo27
2006-12-16, 03:05 PM
I didn't know Jedi Knight was a prestige class as well. But where will he get that lightsaber from?

cucchulainnn
2006-12-16, 03:16 PM
Hi
I’m new here, been reading the back story for a few days now and have finely come to the newest one. Short term I could easily see the fight between Nale and Elan going something like this.
Elan: I am Elan, You put Healy in danger prepare to die.

Stab

Stab

Stab

Nale: DAM IT, WILL YOU STOP SAYING THAT!!!

metalphil
2006-12-16, 03:18 PM
:elan: "Me? Take a prestige class? But I thought they were only for munchkins!"

That's classic. :smallbiggrin:

Hyrael
2006-12-16, 03:27 PM
I'm divided, there might something in terms of good jokes but it won't be the Elan we all know and love **. As someone put it

:roy: : the bard is as dumb as a box of moldy carrots!

Of course the Giant may be thinking on giving us some very very bad puns.

** in a strictly heterosexual "buddies" kind of way. Not that there is anything wrong with the alternative
Actually, I have an idea on that score
While it is possible that elan
s character will change, and this will be a permanent alteration of our favorite bard, there is a way to make this temporary, and haveelan afterward go back to his old self. Death. In the prcess of defeating nale, elan is killed. Durkon raises him back a few rounds later, no problem, but that prestige class level is gone. and he might not want it back. Just an idea

Drraagh
2006-12-16, 04:10 PM
Oh my this is truly GREAT!
Does this class sound like Monkey Island duels only to me?
Awesome, Elan is so Guybrush :biggrin:

Now, for those of you who don't know Monkey Island, here's a list of all the insults, sorted by game. http://www.milegend.com/insults/

Manga Shoggoth
2006-12-16, 04:17 PM
I am surprised that nobody has cited the old "Charles Atlas" ads yet...

Marller
2006-12-16, 04:19 PM
Oh, let me add my favorite:

:nale:: My last fight ended with my hands covered with blood.
:elan:: I hope now you've learned to stop picking your nose.

Wolfram
2006-12-16, 04:20 PM
Regarding the punchline... Mr. Berlew, I find your lack of faith... disturbing.

silvadel
2006-12-16, 04:48 PM
Me wonder if thog took Dashing Warrior Also. Thog too pretty for jail. Thog actually have charisma of a cute poodle who pees on the rug. Certainly NOT a negative charisma for Thog.

DGM
2006-12-16, 04:51 PM
Arcane Duelist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030224a) is 100% badass, (I know ... I've played one that really abused it)

I just glanced at this sucker, and I have to say I agree. One combo immediately leaps out: Dextrous Attack + Power Attack. DA for as much as you can and PA for the same amount. Your chance to hit doesn't change, but you'll do max damage every time you connect.

And is that unlimited uses of Mirror Image at level 9?

Felinoid
2006-12-16, 05:03 PM
Oh come on, it was at least better than the string of Final Fantasy references I didn't get.
As I said, not the worst. :smallwink: Though the thing that concerns me most (since this will probably flow better in the book) is possible changes to Elan. I'm not sure this is a good direction, but I suppose I'll have to have faith that the Giant either knows where he's going with this or that he has a plan to reverse it when it's run its course.

teratorn
2006-12-16, 05:21 PM
Hi
I’m new here, been reading the back story for a few days now and have finely come to the newest one. Short term I could easily see the fight between Nale and Elan going something like this.

You mispelled Haley's name. Prepare to die!
STAB!

Alysar
2006-12-16, 05:27 PM
Oh, let me add my favorite:

:nale:: My last fight ended with my hands covered with blood.
:elan:: I hope now you've learned to stop picking your nose.

Actually, they were (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0069.html)

Noneoyabizzness
2006-12-16, 05:29 PM
elan is the msot prestigious one of the party (next to belkar who is a serial killer and that has its own infamy rather than prestige) so it's nice he is the first to get a prc

Hariman
2006-12-16, 06:07 PM
Let me cut to the point:

Bard+Dashing Swordsman+Eagle's Splendor + 18 Charisma = running Nale.

And don't forget, good is a cut above evil.

Nightmarenny
2006-12-16, 06:25 PM
i find it disturbing that a bunch of you want OotS to be a sitcom. Where's the fun in static charecters?

PirateMonk
2006-12-16, 07:06 PM
"A true hero makes his own luck, Elan."
-Julio Scoundrel

This seems strangely similar to a bit of The Halfling's Gem, by R.A. Salvatore.
Explanation: Wulfgar, barbarian from Icewind Dale, trained by Drizzt Do'Urden (dark elf renegade ranger) is battling wererats in the Calimport Thieves' Guild.

"What was it Drizzt had told him about luck? That a true warrior always seemed to find the proper route-the one open path that casual observers might consider lucky?"

See the similarities?

Enlong
2006-12-16, 08:18 PM
Not just puns--it can be a catch-phrase, too. Anyone else see something along the lines of "SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!" coming?

As for Elan taking a new class in general... honestly, I have mixed feelings about it. Part of me would have liked to see him save the day using just his abilities from before. On the other hand, I do have to admit that from the looks of it, this Dashing Swordsman class would just be an extension of part of who he is already. To be very literal about it, he's always been both dashing and a swordsman. To be less literal, he always was a finesse combatant who was fairly proficient in agile maneuvers. So I guess all in all I think it will be good, although I have a few reservations. Mostly I just hope that he doesn't change too much, since that would be a little sad.

"Continue, continue, continue, continue to be a bard at heart!"

Also, who else thinks that Elan's catch phrase of choice will end up being something totally ridiculous that drives Roy up the wall?

Or what about something which incorporates his transformation from his seemingly weak, use-impaired self to a powerful force to vanquish evil?

Mild-mannered Elan draws his rapier, and:

:elan: By the power of Banjo... IIIIIIIII HAAAAVE THE POWERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He can even do his own theme music!
You mean.... he'd be a CHampion?! Rich made that class! He could be the avatar of Banjo!

Cifer
2006-12-16, 08:19 PM
@PirateMonk
Nah, the idea of "lucky" men fabricating their own luck springs up in too many sources to be directly pinpointable.

baerdith
2006-12-16, 08:27 PM
No he hasn't, he has fought a couple of inconclusive rounds with Nale. Something else entirely.

Kerberos: president of the "I hate Elan" club.....

TigerHunter
2006-12-16, 08:40 PM
Anyone else thought that we might have Julio crashing through the window next, evening out the teams? (Assuming Thog fights with Nale)

:thog: thog help nale. thog not want to nail not-nale, but nale tell thog to nail not-nale, so thog nail not-nale.
:elan: Crap, we're outnumbered!
:julio: *swings in through the window*
:nale: Bah, I don't care how many of you there are. I'll skewer you like a sow at a buffet!
:julio: When I'm done with YOU, you'll be a boneless fillet!

plainsfox
2006-12-16, 09:06 PM
*dons a Salamander suit before making a comment*

I don't want Elan to go back to being *just* a bard. He's changed and his role in the story has changed. Bards are a supporting character and Elan needs to come into his own light.

Solara
2006-12-16, 09:29 PM
Well, I was late reading the comic and at the moment I don't have time to read all seven pages of this thread. How many Guybrush Threepwood jokes did I miss?

Can't wait till the fight with Nale starts. Elan's already proven himself to be shockingly competent when put to the test, with this new prestige class he might actually be formidable.

Mad Scientist
2006-12-16, 09:47 PM
Where's :thog:? I hope he isn't taking some obscure leprechon prestige class to go with the costume :yuk:

:elan: Stab! Stab! Stab my evil brother!

Azzurus
2006-12-16, 10:04 PM
I get a new favorite quote every week!
"You're better off not knowing"
ROFL!

Alysar
2006-12-16, 10:20 PM
*dons a Salamander suit before making a comment*

I don't want Elan to go back to being *just* a bard. He's changed and his role in the story has changed. Bards are a supporting character and Elan needs to come into his own light.

I agree. There are too many comics out there, web and otherwise, where nothing ever changes. Where the characters are always in the same position. Some of the best comics are by cartoonists that realize that change happens, that change is a part of life. The fact is that it's a part of D&D too. RPG characters change as well, or at least they do in the games that are most worth playing.

I, for one, want to see Elan stay a Dashing Swordsman.

I've said this a few times already, and I'll say it again. The Order needs a lovable idiot. If it isn't going to be Elan any more, I'd like it to be Thog.

Edit:

Salamander suit?

archon_huskie
2006-12-16, 10:25 PM
As to where Elan gets his next level for this class, I remind you that we do not know if Elan ever actually assigned a class for the one he gained in 124.

teratorn
2006-12-16, 11:25 PM
I've said this a few times already, and I'll say it again. The Order needs a lovable idiot. If it isn't going to be Elan any more, I'd like it to be Thog.

The order already has someone amoral (Belkar). They are supposed to be the good guys, you know. Having one member who doesn't care about inflicting pain and killing innocent people is enough. Thog is childish but he is an evil child.

The Giant made Elan too much of an idiot (see "Origin"). Not even with OWL's WISDOM he would stop being one.

Alysar
2006-12-16, 11:31 PM
The order already has someone amoral (Belkar). They are supposed to be the good guys, you know. Having one member who doesn't care about inflicting pain and killing innocent people is enough. Thog is childish but he is an evil child.

The Giant made Elan too much of an idiot (see "Origin"). Not even with OWL's WISDOM he would stop being one.

I'm not convinced that Thog is CE, he may be CN and has just been hanging around Nale too long.

As for Origin, my copy should be arriving in a couple days *glee* :smallbiggrin:

CynicalFelidae
2006-12-17, 12:17 AM
Salamander suit?

For protection from incomming flames, I'd guess.

Xi-1
2006-12-17, 01:17 AM
Alright! Like a lot of people here I anticipate lots of Monkey Island-style fighting, but of course since Elan will be the only Dashing Swordsman for a while, who can possibly respond to him? This'll be fun!

And I think Nale just took a level either in Bard or Prestige Class (Dark Seducer) for his plans regarding Haley. And again, he has a dinky little dagger and Charisma-based spells against Elan, his rapier, and a brand new Prestige Class. And Haley's probably gonna Sneak Attack him for what he's done anyway. She may not be able to talk straight, but she hits well. And HARD.

From Monkey Island 2:
Taunt: I hope you have a boat to run away in,
Response: Why, do you wanna borrow one?
Used With Taunt: I hope you're wearing a diaper,

And the Swordmaster goes back from her advantage to mine. Nice!

Or:

:nale:A Prestige Class? You can't match my witty repartee!
:elan:I could, if you would use some breath spray.
:nale:Nothing on this earth can save your sorry hide!
:elan:The only way you'll be preserved is in formaldehyde.
:nale:Aagh... Hey! Look over there!
:elan:Ungh! Yes, yes, I know: It's a three-headed monkey.
:nale:I'm going to put your arm in a sling!
:elan:Why, ya studying to be a nurse?

:haley:[Kiss of Opportunity]Weren't you worried you were gonna lose?
:elan:Not really - the one who goes second ALWAYS wins.

Guybrush 'Fancypants' Threepwood, now there's a pirate. No one else has ever defeated a ghost pirate... how many times has it been now?

plainsfox
2006-12-17, 02:08 AM
For protection from incomming flames, I'd guess.
Yes. I'm hopelessly addicted to Battletech and anything that can resist fire the way the Salamander Power Armor suit can is a very useful thing on a forum. I'm sorry if I confused anybody.

And what if the amoral characters switched places? I see Belkar and Thog being opposites if the Linear Guild should survive this one.

Alysar
2006-12-17, 02:16 AM
:nale:A Prestige Class? You can't match my witty repartee!
:elan:I could, if you would use some breath spray.
:nale:Nothing on this earth can save your sorry hide!
:elan:The only way you'll be preserved is in formaldehyde.

Remember that rhyming insults are only required in ship-to-ship combat.

Holy_Knight
2006-12-17, 02:34 AM
I, for one, want to see Elan stay a Dashing Swordsman.

I'd like him to stay one too, but in a way that preserves his typical Elan-ness and bard-ness from before, also. Fortunately, I don't think Elan gaining a prestige class has to involve him doing a complete 180 in terms of his role in the party; I think it can and will turn out to be more of a matured extension of what he's always been. That is, he's always been this really good-natured guy who wants to help and protect the people he cares about; now he'll be able to do that in a more direct way, instead of being mostly limited to doing it indirectly. I wouldn't be surprised if he continues to use his old abilities in conjunction with his new one, or even at the same time. Just off the top of my head, if you saw your teammate deftly strike an enemy while exclaiming a witty remark, wouldn't it raise your morale and inspire you? (And in fact, we've already seen him do that sort of thing (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0061.html).) Besides all that, adding a prestige class wouldn't alter Elan's entire personality. I'm sure we'll still be treated to a lot of the same hijinks from before, even if he is a more capable swordsman from now on. So he'll stay the same lovable idiot he always was, just in addition he'll also be a heroic, damsel-rescuing dynamo whose latent power has finally been unsealed by the combined powers of love and prestige classing.

Alysar
2006-12-17, 03:04 AM
I'd like him to stay one too, but in a way that preserves his typical Elan-ness and bard-ness from before, also. Fortunately, I don't think Elan gaining a prestige class has to involve him doing a complete 180 in terms of his role in the party;

Oh, I wouldn't want him to. Maybe a 30, possibly a 45 but no more than that. Maybe idiot isn't the right word. Use-impared is closer to what I mean.

I think it can and will turn out to be more of a matured extension of what he's always been. That is, he's always been this really good-natured guy who wants to help and protect the people he cares about; now he'll be able to do that in a more direct way, instead of being mostly limited to doing it indirectly. I wouldn't be surprised if he continues to use his old abilities in conjunction with his new one, or even at the same time. Just off the top of my head, if you saw your teammate deftly strike an enemy while exclaiming a witty remark, wouldn't it raise your morale and inspire you? (And in fact, we've already seen him do that sort of thing (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0061.html).) Besides all that, adding a prestige class wouldn't alter Elan's entire personality. I'm sure we'll still be treated to a lot of the same hijinks from before, even if he is a more capable swordsman from now on. So he'll stay the same lovable idiot he always was, just in addition he'll also be a heroic, damsel-rescuing dynamo whose latent power has finally been unsealed by the combined powers of love and prestige classing.

I agree completely. I'm saying that I would like to see Thog take over the role of (for lack of a better term) incompetent screw-up.

If Roy feels that he can talk (fast or otherwise) Thog into following the OotS, he would probably do so instead of leaving Thog to his own devices. I think that at this point Elan would try to stop Roy from killing Thog or turning him over to the city guards.

I can see it now

:elan:: Can I keep him? Huh? Can I? Please? Please Roy?
:thog:: please roy?

Sesquedoodle
2006-12-17, 05:10 AM
Elan's new prestige class makes me think of the Monkey Island games...
"Oh yeah? Well... you fight like a cow!"

Movoza
2006-12-17, 05:43 AM
it is an invention of mine, though I won't rule out that there might be some similar class in a third-party sourcebook somewhere, since I have hardly read all such books that have come out since the advent of thirD editioN. basically, the duelisT PrC wasn't good enough because it used intelligencE too much to be useful to elaN, so I invented one more appropriatE.

cant know everything, get used to it :smalltongue:.

about the comiC: heH

Amon Star
2006-12-17, 06:35 AM
Darkwing Duck??? NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Magnavolt! Save me! Liquidator! Bushwack'd!?! Where are you???

Hey! I liked that cartoon!

Charisma affects "Turning Damage" though, right? :P

Yes it does.

I didn't know Jedi Knight was a prestige class as well. But where will he get that lightsaber from?

Light spell on the blade, followed by Ghost Sound for the noise.

Unfair. :nale: backed out of that fight because, in his own words, "I prefer something a little more one sided." We've no way of knowing who would have won a fight to the death.

denelian
2006-12-17, 08:29 AM
:elan:: Thog, jog his memory!
:thog: : *Thwamp* *sound of Belkar's body hitting the ground* Thog jog little man's memory too hard.

works for me.

YAY! i'm not alone!!!

the_tick_rules
2006-12-17, 12:39 PM
So now elan might gain some ability in battle, cool. plus that explains his apparent new swashbucklerness

Hilbert
2006-12-17, 02:04 PM
WHOOO, I love it very much! :smallbiggrin:

There was one thought that came up when reading the second last panel:

How approriate, you fight like a cow.

/edit:
I just see, the connection to MI duels has been noted a couple of times in this thread already. *gg*

Bluesilver
2006-12-17, 04:31 PM
:elan: "What's a padawan?"

"You're better off not knowing..."

Nightfall
2006-12-17, 06:55 PM
Me wonder if thog took Dashing Warrior Also. Thog too pretty for jail. Thog actually have charisma of a cute poodle who pees on the rug. Certainly NOT a negative charisma for Thog.

Actually, I think Thog's Charisma is pretty high, for a half-orc. Look at how many of us love him! And I don't think he's evil, per se. He might be Chaotic Neutral, and just likes to go with the flow.:smallbiggrin:

GAZ
2006-12-17, 07:01 PM
Everybody's going on about how awesome Elan is going to be with his new prestige class, but is anybody stopping to consider that its main power requires Elan to come up with a witty pun or catch phrase. I love Elan, but the guy is not really know for his wit, unless it's in the context of only having half of one.
Plus there's no way to know if he actually gained a level in anything between busting out of jail and busting into Nale's room.

JosephSmidgens
2006-12-17, 07:06 PM
True, but as we have seen, Elan is a bit of a drama queen, so while he lacks wit, he is in tune with the art of theater, so he knows all about puns and irony.

SiD
2006-12-17, 08:02 PM
As Elan said: if there's one thing he does know, it's theatrics.

Zephra
2006-12-17, 09:26 PM
Can you learn a prestege class in only (I think it's been a day already, so) 2 and 1/2 days? especially if you're Elan? I love the idea, though, it's perfect for Elan.

Zephra
2006-12-17, 09:34 PM
I'm not sure how to quote, so all I can do to answer GAZ is to copy and paste:

Everybody's going on about how awesome Elan is going to be with his new prestige class, but is anybody stopping to consider that its main power requires Elan to come up with a witty pun or catch phrase. I love Elan, but the guy is not really know for his wit, unless it's in the context of only having half of one.

Of corse elan can come up with a witty pun or quote! he's a bard, and he loves that kind of thing. see comic........well, durn. I just looked through a ton of them and couldn't find anything...still, though. what is the definition of "witty pun" where is the line between witty and dumb. and anyone can have a good catchphrase.

Wiione
2006-12-18, 01:10 AM
Another great comic! Thank you, Giant! :biggrin:

Krytha
2006-12-18, 02:27 AM
I wonder if the catchphrase has to be good for the damage modifier to apply?

:elan: Prepare to steel yourself Nale!
:nale: That was... so lame...

Sol
2006-12-18, 03:22 AM
so...All Elan has to do to nail Nale is to use his rapier wit to make cutting remarks?

[/hide]

On a more serious note, do you think Elan's standard formulaic songs (verb verb verb, verb the adjective noun) count as catch phrases for the function of his new charisma attack bonus?

That would kill two birds with one stone, without changing his personality at all.

Amon Star
2006-12-18, 04:55 AM
Can you learn a prestege class in only (I think it's been a day already, so) 2 and 1/2 days? especially if you're Elan? I love the idea, though, it's perfect for Elan.

If you've the exp to gain a level, then you can learn anything for your next level as long as you meet the prerequisites. Remember when :elan: was planner to be a Wizard, even though he had no training in that area?

so...All Elan has to do to nail Nale is to use his rapier wit to make cutting remarks?

[/hide]

On a more serious note, do you think Elan's standard formulaic songs (verb verb verb, verb the adjective noun) count as catch phrases for the function of his new charisma attack bonus?

That would kill two birds with one stone, without changing his personality at all.

I like that idea. :elan: "Stab, stab, stab, stab the evil twin!"

kerberos
2006-12-18, 06:00 AM
I just glanced at this sucker, and I have to say I agree. One combo immediately leaps out: Dextrous Attack + Power Attack. DA for as much as you can and PA for the same amount. Your chance to hit doesn't change, but you'll do max damage every time you connect.

And is that unlimited uses of Mirror Image at level 9?
Also while I'm not an very knowledgable about D&D it seem to me there's nothing to stop you from making an arcane dualist using a 2 handed weapons and possibly plate armour. Sure you have to be proficient with a rapier, but it doesn't say you have to use it as your prefered weapon.

kerberos
2006-12-18, 06:13 AM
Actually that would be that "I actually read the comic club". Just because I remember (correctly) that Elan never won any duel against Nale (or AFAIR any fight whatsoever) doesn't mean I hate him.

Daibhid C
2006-12-18, 06:30 AM

I don't think Elan's going to stop being a loveable idiot. He's just become a loveable idiot with some cool abilities.

consul
2006-12-18, 06:19 PM
Alright! The OOTS member least proficient in combat scored a prestige class that will allow him to be devastating with his weapon of choice! Sweet. Man, I hope one of the next comics is a big one of Nale and Elan fighting, with Elan totally wasting Nale with his new ability.

But we have to find the comedy in such a situation. It may be there, it may not. We may get up to it, but at the moment that he can shine, Sabine teleports Nale away to give the whuppin. The joke would be that no one knows how much effort he did.

consul
2006-12-18, 06:31 PM
I know this kind of PrC from a different System, where we use it as a houserule. If your Character is in a cloak-and-dagger-style melee, you can try to insult your oppenent by verbally formulating the insult and then make a roll on Charisma. If you succeed, the opponent will temporarily loose some skill points in fighthing, thus giving you an advantage in the next rounds. Heck, if you roll a natural 20, the opponent might even run away, screaming like a little girl! It's definitely worth in swashbuckling campains.

Sounds like the Dragonlance Kender with their "Taunt" skill.

consul
2006-12-18, 06:38 PM
By the way, Giant, is there any chance we'll see the Dashing Swordsman class written up? (Maybe as a bonus in whatever book this story arc is printed in?)

That is a great idea for a bonus to the book. Not needed for the storyline, but relevant.

consul
2006-12-18, 06:41 PM

Thanks

Not really, and there is precedent for this in the comic, when ... was it Belkar, I think, that when he leveled up, he was thinking of trying out for Wizard. V complained that he can't and if he wanted to, he would need to spend decades of research and study. Belkar said that if he _was_ going to do it, it would automatically be implied that V had been helping him over the past few months on becoming a Wizard, even though so far, as it was, he hadn't.

Felinoid
2006-12-19, 12:35 AM
Not really, and there is precedent for this in the comic, when ... was it Belkar, I think, that when he leveled up, he was thinking of trying out for Wizard. V complained that he can't and if he wanted to, he would need to spend decades of research and study. Belkar said that if he _was_ going to do it, it would automatically be implied that V had been helping him over the past few months on becoming a Wizard, even though so far, as it was, he hadn't.
Elan wanted to, was discussing it with Belkar, and then V overheard and had an anneurism. #126 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0391.html)