PDA

View Full Version : Melee version of Sorcerer? (fluff)

danzibr
2013-08-11, 09:37 PM
A Wizard spends years and years studying what a Sorcerer just *gets*. Granted it's due to draconic blood, but that's not the point.

Fighters spend (presumably) years training with all types of weapons and armor. And sparring. Barbarians likewise learn weapons and master their ability to rage (no idea how long this takes). ToB for sure takes lots of learning (no pun intended).

Is there any melee class which just *gets it*? Like Berseker from Shijou Saikuou Deshi No Kenichi or Tawara Bunshichi from Tenjou Tenge? Or likely many others who I can't think of?

Or even feats to emulate this. I was thinking luck feats but that's not really appropriate. These people are just born good.

Crasical
2013-08-11, 09:52 PM
In pathfinder, at least, the starting age of your creature is modified by dice depending on if your class is 'Intuitive', 'Self Taught', or 'Trained'. Sorcerer, obviously, is in the formermost category, along with barbarian.

So pathfinder barbarians don't have formal martial training as we'd think of it, at least.

Psyren
2013-08-11, 10:41 PM
In pathfinder, at least, the starting age of your creature is modified by dice depending on if your class is 'Intuitive', 'Self Taught', or 'Trained'. Sorcerer, obviously, is in the formermost category, along with barbarian.

So pathfinder barbarians don't have formal martial training as we'd think of it, at least.

I always saw this as the intent behind the starting age by class system, showing the classes that require extra training time. The Giant makes similar jokes in OotS - Roy has to go to "Fighter College" for advanced training and V spends a century learning his first level 1 spell, meanwhile Elan cruises through the simpler Bard camp for "a few weeks."

HylianKnight
2013-08-11, 10:46 PM
I often have flavored Rogues to be along these lines. No one gave them disciplined training on how to go for the exposed areas (sneak attack), most Rogue-types didn't spend hours a day mastering their craft. Nope, circumstances thrust them out onto the rough-and-tumble streets. If they wren't able to just "pick up" the skills they needed to survive they wouldn't be here right now.

danzibr
2013-08-12, 07:07 PM
I like the Rogue idea, combat-wise. But I imagine they'd spend a lot of time getting that 8+Int skills.

Hmm. Maybe there is no way to do this in D&D.

Narren
2013-08-12, 07:33 PM
I like the Rogue idea, combat-wise. But I imagine they'd spend a lot of time getting that 8+Int skills.

Hmm. Maybe there is no way to do this in D&D.

You can really fluff it either way. You can even do so with a wizard, if you want. Fiction (and reality, to a lesser extent) is filled with examples of people that breeze through higher education like it's nothing.

IdleMuse
2013-08-12, 07:36 PM
I pretty much imagine Barbarians this way.

INoKnowNames
2013-08-12, 07:48 PM
I'll always imagine the Barbarian to be like this compared to the Fighter or Warblade. Learn sword technique and fighting and spend your life studying the way of the blade, almost like a Monk... or just get pissed off and smash people in about 2 seconds.

Blackhawk748
2013-08-12, 07:53 PM
Rogues nine times out of ten are like this, some obviously are taught but the reason they have six million skills is because they need them to survive. The rogue is supposed to be they self taught gutter kid who is, or at least was, a thief.