PDA

View Full Version : Anyone speak Arabic? Simple translation need!

TimeWizard
2013-08-11, 10:06 PM
I received a text message saying "She she knee, [my name] pongyo".

The speaker lived in Cairo, not sure if that changes anything in the translation. I can't google it because its phonetic and not in arabic script.

TaiLiu
2013-08-11, 11:37 PM
This has nothing to do with Arabic, - or even the topic at hand - but "She she knee, pongyo" sounds like a really bad transliteration of "Thank you [very much], friend" in Mandarin Chinese.

TimeWizard
2013-08-12, 07:51 AM
Actually, that makes sense. My friend speaks both languages, but I just assumed it was Arabic because I told her "happy birthday" in Arabic. Mystery Solved, thanks Tai Lu!

Traab
2013-08-12, 10:45 AM
This has nothing to do with Arabic, - or even the topic at hand - but "She she knee, pongyo" sounds like a really bad transliteration of "Thank you [very much], friend" in Mandarin Chinese.

HAH! I knew watching the various Rush Hour movies would pay off! Thats exactly what Tucker was saying on the plane ride! Well, the first part at least. Heh, I only remember that line because it was also in the blooper reels as chris messes it up over and over again until jackie chan finally busts loose with something like, "See? Now you know how I feel! Its not so easy, is it?!"

TaiLiu
2013-08-12, 02:16 PM
Actually, that makes sense. My friend speaks both languages, but I just assumed it was Arabic because I told her "happy birthday" in Arabic. Mystery Solved, thanks Tai Lu!
Excellent; happy to be of assistance.

HAH! I knew watching the various Rush Hour movies would pay off!
Ah! They are educational movies?

Brother Oni
2013-08-13, 06:03 AM
Ah! They are educational movies?

For a given value of education.

Traab
2013-08-13, 08:26 AM
For a given value of education.

As long as that given value is > 0 it educates us and is therefore educational. So NYAH!