PDA

View Full Version : Psionics and Magic Transparency Question

sabelo2000
2013-08-11, 10:29 PM
Since Psionics-Magic Transparency is the default rule in core D&D, does psionic Manifester Level equate to Caster Level for such purposes as, for instance, qualifying for feats?

I'm referring to "caster level" specifically, as in "Caster level 3rd" but not "able to cast 3rd-level spells".

Yuki Akuma
2013-08-11, 10:39 PM
Nope. Caster level and manifester level are different things. This is why Practiced Spellcaster and Practiced Manifester are different feats.

I can't think of any cases where ML qualifying for feats that call for CL would actually be useful, though.

Eric Scott
2013-08-11, 10:42 PM
I could see some DMs being ok with that... but, as is, I don't think so...

Big Fau
2013-08-11, 10:44 PM
A common misconception is "Transparency=Everything". Transparency only extends to a small set of rules. Specifically:

Psionics-Magic Transparency
Though not explicitly called out in the spell descriptions or magic item descriptions, spells, spell-like abilities, and magic items that could potentially affect psionics do affect psionics.

When the rule about psionics-magic transparency is in effect, it has the following ramifications.

Spell resistance is effective against powers, using the same mechanics. Likewise, power resistance is effective against spells, using the same mechanics as spell resistance. If a creature has one kind of resistance, it is assumed to have the other. (The effects have similar ends despite having been brought about by different means.)

All spells that dispel magic have equal effect against powers of the same level using the same mechanics, and vice versa.

The spell detect magic detects powers, their number, and their strength and location within 3 rounds (though a Psicraft check is necessary to identify the discipline of the psionic aura).

Dead magic areas are also dead psionics areas.

Caster Level is separate from Manifester Level as a result.

Edit: Also, the MiC added in another category. For the purpose of crafting magic items, Psionic Powers, Manifester Level, and the Craft Universal Item feat count as Spells, Caster Level, and the Craft Wondrous Item feat.

Rubik
2013-08-12, 01:23 AM
The Magic Mantle from CPsi equates caster level to manifester level exactly, which allows you to qualify for both using either your CL or ML.

Nope. Caster level and manifester level are different things. This is why Practiced Spellcaster and Practiced Manifester are different feats.

I can't think of any cases where ML qualifying for feats that call for CL would actually be useful, though.There are cases where it's useful, especially with the mind mage prestige class (Dr 313) to explicitly give you spell slot-to-power point conversions.

For instance, if you're high on HD and low on ML, you can take both Practiced Spellcaster and Practiced Manifester on the same class. You can also take metamagic feats for your psionics and just convert the slots over.

JusticeZero
2013-08-12, 02:12 AM
CL and ML are different things, much like divine CL and arcane CL are not interchangeable if one is specified. That said, a number of things are reasonable to just say "there is an identical version that is " and have no issues.