PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXIV

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Roland St. Jude
2013-08-11, 10:38 PM
(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about D&D 3.5. If your question is not about the RAW for 3.5, please look in the appropriate threads in the appropriate forums.

The Procedure:

Do:
Label your questions with bold Q#s.
Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
Answer a question that’s already been answered.
Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
Post to debate the answers given.
Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
Q.1. Are there any Large +0 LA races?
Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?

Please start over with the numbering. When this one reached 50 pages, please report it so that we can start a new one. Thanks.

Fax Celestis
2013-08-11, 11:08 PM
Q1: Why is the thread titled the wrong number?

(I <3 u roland)

NEVER MIND I CAN'T READ

unseenmage
2013-08-11, 11:59 PM
Q1
Does a Gondsman survive the death of it's Techsmith after death? (Faiths and Pantheons)

Q2
Does a Dedicated Wright Homunculus survive it's Artificer after death?

Q3
If one of my players paid in full for a stronghold to be built then their character became unavailable (via death, dismemberment, etc), is there any RAW justification for the project being either abandoned or completed?

Q4
How much damage would 3.5 million 1 oz. vials deal if emptied from an Enveloping Pit onto a character? From what height would they be most harmful?

Q5
Is there a special DC for using the craft Calligraphy skill while both yourself and your materials are invisible?
My Hordificer character enjoys spending the first round of combat whipping out a sheet of canvas and his trusty paintbrush and using Craft (Calligraphy) to produce a blueprint of whatever his constructs are fighting at the time for future immortilization in Effigy form.

Problem is I just got a Ring of Invisibility and am unsure what the DC is to write or draw while invisible.

Q6
Can a Scroll with a 9th level spell be safely folded up and hidden in a Hollow Boot Heel (CS108)?

RFLS
2013-08-12, 12:25 AM
Q 7:

How would Mystic Ranger, Shooting Star Ranger, Sword of the Arcane Order, and Master Spellthief interact when placed in an optimal order for caster level on a Spellthief 1/Wizard 1/Ranger 7?

Added "for caster level" clause to take it from subjective to objective question.

Curmudgeon
2013-08-12, 12:40 AM
A 3 Ask your DM.

What happens to property after the owner's death is a matter for local jurisprudence, and will vary depending on your setting. Some settings books provide existing legal structures for particular regions which would give an answer here, but many (most ?) do not. You'll need to ask your DM what the particulars are for the campaign area.

A 4 None.

Vials are for substances which are imbibed. The RAW gives no damage for such contents dumped on the outsides of creatures.

A 5

The Skills chapter has a list of difficulty class examples here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/usingSkills.htm#tableDifficultyClassExamples). The DC for a task which fits into the "nearly impossible" category is 40.

unseenmage
2013-08-12, 12:45 AM
Q 4 Clarification

A 4 None.

Vials are for substances which are imbibed. The RAW gives no damage for such contents dumped on the outsides of creatures.

Oh, I'm not asking about the contents, that's why I didn't mention them. I'm specifically asking about how much damage is done by the weight of that volume of glass vials.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-08-12, 01:11 AM
A 6

You can only put a scroll, of any level, in the hidden boot heel of a boot made for a creature of large or larger size.

According to the Player's Handbook pg. 166 a scroll is diminutive. According to Complete Scoundrel pg. 108 a hidden boot heel can only hold an object 4 times smaller than the creature the boot is made for.

Edit:
A 4

According to pg. 52 of the Rules Compendium each vial won't do any damage because they are too light so no damage is taken. 3.5 million times nothing is nothing, unless they are somehow bound to be treated as one object.

kkplx
2013-08-12, 02:08 AM
Q 8:

If an Artificer powers his 2 Spare Hands (MoE, 111, rare variant) with a lvl 3 infusion each, he has two weapon fighting and is using both a main- and offhand weapon in his normal hands, how many attacks will he be able to make and at which bonuses, assuming he's lvl 14 with a BAB of 10/5 ?

Telok
2013-08-12, 02:31 AM
A 2: If the Dedicated Wright inherits from the base Homunculus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/homunculus.htm) then it will die and dissolve on the owners death. If it does not inherit from the base Homunculus then it will be listed in the monster stat block and text. If neither of the above cases is true then it is the DM's choice as to what happens.

Norin
2013-08-12, 05:14 AM
Q9a:

Using Dungeonscape ACF Penetrating Strike on a Rogue:

Does Craven damage apply to the damage when flanking a creature that is immune to critical hits and sneak attacks?

The ACF states that you do extra damage equal to half your normal SA dice, but it it not quite clear if the attack is considered a SA still, and thus letting you apply Craven damage.

"Ask your DM"?

Q9b:
Does the above ACF apply to SA damage gained from other classes/features/abilities than the Rogue SA?

Say a Rogue/Swordsage in Assassin's Stance. Would the +2d6 from the stance count as "normal sneak attack dice"?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-12, 05:46 AM
A 9a Ask your DM.

The language in Dungeonscape for Penetrating Strike is unclear, so it will be each individual DM's call whether this alternative class feature delivers sneak attack damage or some other (untyped) damage.

A 9b Ask your DM.

There's no clue in the RAW what makes for "normal" sneak attack dice, so again it will be each individual DM's call whether non-class sneak attack dice count for this ACF.

You might be interested to know that the Lightbringer Penetrating Strike ACF (Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, page 208) lets the Rogue deal sneak attack, with ½ their dice, to foes normally immune when flanking them. There's no DM judgment required, and no limitation to "normal" sneak attack dice. Because this original EtCR ACF has a different name there's no requirement that you use the Dungeonscape Penetrating Strike ACF rewrite with the shorter name and shorter description; you can choose either one. (Personally, I always choose the ACF which avoids DM arguments.)

kkplx
2013-08-12, 07:22 AM
Q 10:

What books have the baselines needed to use another (sped up) plane for crafting and/or aging creatures? Yes, there is Genesis, but genesis can explicitly NOT set a specific time speed.

It might be worth mentioning that said planes would have to be accessible with spells, not supernatural or PrC-Abilities (Planar Shepherd would not be what I'm looking for)

Chronos
2013-08-12, 08:27 AM
A 10 again:

Genesis (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/genesis.htm) (at least, the spell version) makes no mention of not being able to set the time trait, and every plane must have some time trait or another. The spell also says "The spellcaster determines the environment within the demiplane when he or she first casts genesis, reflecting most any desire the spellcaster can visualize.".

All of the relevant rules concerning planes are found in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/planes.htm).

And all planes, unless specified otherwise, are accessible via spells such as Plane Shift or Gate. Even in the rare case they're not accessible via those, they're still accessible via Wish (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wish.htm), which can transport travelers "regardless of local conditions".

RFLS
2013-08-12, 10:24 AM
Q 11a:

Crafting: For the purpose of crafting magic items, it takes 8 hours for every 1000 gp of the base cost. A +2 magic weapon is 8k gp nominal cost. Crafting it would cost 4k gp for the crafter. Which of these values is used to calculate the crafting time (or, does it take 64 hours of work or 32?) ?

Q 11b:

As a follow-up, assume the crafter has the feat Extraordinary Artisan. The feat reduces the base cost by 25%, so said +2 weapon now costs 3k gp to craft. Does this reduce the crafting time? By extension, does it reduce the crafting XP?

kkplx
2013-08-12, 10:39 AM
A 11a&b

Crafting always uses the base value for any calculations.
If the base value of the magical item is 8000gp, that means 8x8 hours, 64 hours.

This is why Extraordinary Artisan would not reduce the time required to craft the item. There's a specific feat, "Exceptional Artisan" that reduces the crafting time by 25%, and the "Magical Artisan ()" Line that applies to one Item creation feat at a time and reduces XP, GP and Time required by 25%.

All these bonuses stack multiplicative, not additive.

cd4
2013-08-12, 10:56 AM
Q12 If I have a weapon that has a threat range 11-20 and use Aura of Perfect Order on the attack roll, do I threaten a critical if I hit?

Chronos
2013-08-12, 01:06 PM
A 12:
The stance lets you treat a potential d20 result as an 11. It does not list any exceptions to this. In this case, one of the effects of an 11 would be to threaten a critical hit, so yes, you would threaten.

Kerilstrasz
2013-08-12, 01:17 PM
Q13
a)
Can i have a LG Paladin that is a member of a guild, follow his guild's laws and not "common" or town's or country's laws to determine if he loses "lawful" due to his actions(or inaction)?
b)
Can the same paladin follow his own set of rules/laws to determine the same thing as above?
c)
Can the same paladin change his "set of laws" according to the town/guild/country he currently is? How often?

Andezzar
2013-08-12, 01:20 PM
A 13

Ask your DM. The rules what constitutes good/evil/lawful/chaotic behavior are sufficiently vague to not give a clear answer.

cd4
2013-08-12, 03:33 PM
Q14 If I am a single classed Warblade, can I take Martial Stance at level 12 and take Aura of Perfect Aura? (Having picked up Two Devoted Spirit Maneuvers with Martial Study earlier)

Arkusus
2013-08-12, 06:01 PM
Q15

What are the rules for identifying a magic item? Spellcraft doesn't seem to be it, same with knowledge arcana (which is what I had THOUGHT was used)

Am I missing something? Or are magic items identified another way?

(I know about the Identify spell, but that doesn't work on artifacts so there must be an ordinary way)

RFLS
2013-08-12, 06:12 PM
Q 16:

Can Shivering Touch be delivered by a Spell Storing arrow?
Can Shivering Touch (or any melee touch attack spell) threaten a critical hit?
What critical range does the spell use, if it is delivered and if it can threaten a critical hit?

I'm fairly confident in the rules here, but I want an unbiased third party so that I can show the player in question.

Chronos
2013-08-12, 06:23 PM
(not certain about a)
A 16b: Anything that uses an attack roll and does damage can score a critical hit.
A 16c: The default crit for anything that doesn't specify otherwise is 20/x2.

Pigkappa
2013-08-12, 06:29 PM
Q 17
If I cast Alter Self and share it with my raven familiar, what can I turn it to?

According to the PHB, my familiar isn't an animal, it's a magical beast. However, ravens are animals. So I would argue that I can't turn my raven into another raven (!), but I can turn it into an Ankheg or something like that.

My aim is to turn it into something which doesn't draw attention (even less than a raven).

Arkusus
2013-08-12, 06:33 PM
Q18

The Kensei class states that your signature weapon becomes magical if it wasn't already...

Does this mean that you can use an already magical weapon as your signature weapon, and get it's bonuses on TOP of your own?

Or alternatively, does it mean that your kensei class levels only let you add on TOP of existing enchantments? (At the usual XP minus existing enchantment cost)

Or do the Kensai's abilities simply replace the weapon's enchantment? (And possibly make a cursed weapon an amusingly useful choice for a kensai)

Curmudgeon
2013-08-12, 06:49 PM
A 15

Analyze Dweomer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/analyzeDweomer.htm) identifies items better than Identify does, but still won't work on artifacts. The Appraise Magic Value feat (Complete Adventurer, pages 103-105) allows you to determine an item's properties with an Appraise check, and artifacts are not excluded.

A 16a No.

Spell Storing can only function when a weapon is wielded. An arrow, once fired, is no longer wielded. Furthermore, any arrow is destroyed on impact, removing all the magic from it. Spell Storing is triggered by a free action, which would necessarily happen a very small amount of time (but still more than none) after the arrow was destroyed.

A 17

Your argument is at odds with the RAW.
A master and his familiar can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the familiar’s type (magical beast). Your familiar cannot take Animal forms.

A 18

Weapon enhancements, from whatever source, will always overlap rather than stack. No replacement occurs.

Arkusus
2013-08-12, 07:11 PM
Q19 (Q18 followup)

If a weapon has multiple enchantments (For this example, lets say +1 Flaming Weapon and a separate +1 Frost enchantment)

What does that weapon do when it hits? I imagine it would only benefit from a +1 bonus, but does it hit with both the flaming and the frost enchantment?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-12, 07:24 PM
A 19 Yes.

Two separate +1 enhancements would overlap rather than stack. However, Flaming and Frost enhancements operate independently. (Your DM might come up with some colorful steam-generating descriptive language to describe the combined result, but both will function in the same weapon.) You could get this result by shooting a +1 Flaming arrow from a +1 Frost bow, for example.

jaydubs
2013-08-13, 12:38 AM
Q20

When using wild shape and becoming a creature with abilities based on "racial HD," what do I input into the formula? The HD of a normal creature of that type, 0 HD, or my character's HD?

Arkusus
2013-08-13, 01:33 AM
Q21

How do you know what size category different items are? Like rings, amulets, and cloaks and the like.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-08-13, 01:56 AM
A 21

Player's Handbook pg 166 table 9-10 lists size modifiers to armor class for objects. It gives examples of object sizes. Estimate based off of this list.

Curmudgeon
2013-08-13, 03:58 AM
A 20
racial Hit Die

The Hit Dice a monster has by virtue of what type of creature it is. Hit Dice gained from taking class levels are not racial Hit Dice. A monster's statistic block will have a Hit Dice entry. That tells you what you need to know, such as this entry for a Leopard:
Hit Dice: 3d8+6 (19 hp) The Leopard has 3 racial hit dice, each a d8 as usual for a creature of the Animal type.

Sith_Happens
2013-08-13, 05:38 AM
A 15 (additional)

The Magic Item Compendium has rules for identifying a magic item by scoring high enough on Detect Magic's "determine the school of magic associated with its aura" check.

kkplx
2013-08-13, 07:54 AM
Q 22

Can a Neutral, Chaotic Neutral or Lawful Neutral Character cast any spell with the [Evil] or [Good] modifier, or none of them?

Chronos
2013-08-13, 08:15 AM
A 19 continued:
"+1 flaming" isn't an item property. +1 is, and flaming is. A weapon needs to be at least +1 before it can have any other item properties, but once it's got that initial +1, it can have as many other properties as you want (up to a maximum of +10 equivalent, and subject to the limits of your budget). So you could have a +1 sword, or a +1 flaming sword (which costs the equivalent of a +2 sword), or a +1 flaming frost sword (which costs the equivalent of a +3 sword), or a +1 keen flaming frost shocking corrosive gnomebane sword (which costs the equivalent of a +7 sword)

A 22:
Divine spellcasters are only limited in that they can't cast spells of an alignment opposed to their own (so, for instance, a good cleric can't cast [evil] spells). Arcane casters aren't even subject to that limit, so a good wizard can cast an [evil] spell. But a neutral caster, of any sort, can cast spells of any alignment.

Note that casting an aligned spell is an act of that alignment, and so if you find yourself often casting spells of a particular alignment, it may cause your own alignment to shift in that direction.

Fax Celestis
2013-08-13, 10:03 AM
Q23 How does Natural Bond interact with multiple animal companions (such as those gained by a prestige class like Beastmaster, where the later animal companions are granted at a lower effective druid level)?

angry_bear
2013-08-13, 10:04 AM
Q 23 Do the Gnome Domain, and Illusion Domain granted powers stack?

Andezzar
2013-08-13, 10:25 AM
A 24

Yes. They are two unnamed bonuses from different sources.

The Viscount
2013-08-13, 10:46 AM
Q 25

Can I use Persistent Attacker to deal sneak attack to a foe every round?

Vaz
2013-08-13, 12:20 PM
Q26 Azurin Cleric's HD is defined as D8 (MoI pg42). A Cloistered Cleric has their HD reduced to d6. As an Azurin Cloistered Cleric, would I have a HD of d8 or d6?

jaydubs
2013-08-13, 12:29 PM
Q27

Was there ever any official word on whether Pearl of Speech lets animals talk? Or is that still up in the air for interpretation?

Fax Celestis
2013-08-13, 12:34 PM
A27 Creatures of Intelligence 3 or more can speak or understand at least one language, albeit poorly. Most animals are in the Int 1/2 range and therefore do not have the ability to communicate via a language.

Khedrac
2013-08-13, 12:39 PM
A 26 RAW no such substitution level exists.

The "Azurin Cleric" racial substitution levels replace Cleric levels and not any other class or variant.

Edit: You can still play an Azurin Cloistered Cleric, but you do not use the MoI racial substitution levels.

erok0809
2013-08-13, 01:02 PM
Q28

How do class levels on an NPC affect its CR? For example, what CR would a Human Druid 9/Cancer Mage 4 be?

Fax Celestis
2013-08-13, 01:08 PM
A28 Associated levels are 1 CR per level, unassociated are 1/2 CR per level. Since an NPC has no fundament, really, to build off of the way, say, a minotaur does, all classes related to the primary focus of the NPC should be considered "associated". Your cancer mage should be CR 13. In practice, however, I would probably peg it closer to CR 10: the action advantage gained by merely having 4 equally leveled characters versus one NPC is massive.

Andezzar
2013-08-13, 01:12 PM
A 25

Kind of. You will be dealing -4d6 damage each round (except the one when the chain ends) and only one attack per round is a sneak attack.

2gig
2013-08-13, 01:43 PM
Q 29

I don't understand how Phylactery of Change works... Can the wearer transform back and forth between the chosen form and natural form at-will all day? Or can it only transform into the chosen form once per day, and must wait until the next day once to transform again after returning to its natural form.

Vaz
2013-08-13, 01:55 PM
Q30
Does Psionic Contingency allow for Magic/Psionic Transparency (assuming Standard) to let it be used with Spells (such as on a Cerebremancer/Psychic Theurge?).

Chronos
2013-08-13, 02:53 PM
Quoth Fax Celestis:

In practice, however, I would probably peg it closer to CR 10: the action advantage gained by merely having 4 equally leveled characters versus one NPC is massive.
This is already taken into account in the CR system. A fight with CR equal to the party's level isn't supposed to be a major challenge to the party. It's supposed to be the sort of thing the party can deal with several times a day, day in and day out.

Andezzar
2013-08-13, 02:56 PM
A 29

Ask your DM. The Arms and Equipment Guide is a 3.0 book and as such any rule within are subject to adjustments by the DM. Even in a strict 3.0 game, the wording is not clear and you should ask your DM. Whether "new form" refers to any form different from the user's natural form, or to a form different from the previously chosen form, the rules don't say.

Zombimode
2013-08-13, 04:04 PM
Q 31

In the Turn Undead section of the SRD it says:

Destroying Undead

If you have twice as many levels (or more) as the undead have Hit Dice, you destroy any that you would normally turn.

There is only the vague mention of "levels" without specifying if those are meant to be effective cleric levels for turning or more general character level.
Is this clarified somewhere else?

cd4
2013-08-13, 04:06 PM
Q32 Is there any way to stop an oppenent using a counter maneuver?

Fax Celestis
2013-08-13, 04:08 PM
A31
No, but the intention is "turning levels".

Vaz
2013-08-13, 04:22 PM
Q33
I pick up the Earth Domain without having any cleric levels, which allows me to Turn Air/Rebuke Earth as a Cleric through some means. Do I have a turning level with which to utilise it?

Arkusus
2013-08-13, 05:12 PM
Q34

Unlike regular constructs, Warforged have a constitution score, however they never sleep.

How does this relate to endurance based checks? Obviously a warforged can never be sleepy, but can he become exhausted?

Specifically, could a warforged run at top speed forever? Or would he have to begin making checks like other living creatures after a period of time?

Fax Celestis
2013-08-13, 05:25 PM
A34

Traits: A living construct possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature's entry).

Unlike other constructs, a living construct has a Constitution score. A living construct does not gain bonus hit points by size but gains (or loses) bonus hit points through a Constitution bonus (or penalty) as with other living creatures.

Unlike other constructs, a living construct does not have low-light vision or darkvision.

Unlike other constructs, a living construct is not immune to mind-influencing effects.

Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, and energy drain.

A living construct cannot heal damage naturally.

Unlike other constructs, living constructs are subject to critical hits, effects requiring a Fort save, death from massive damage, nonlethal damage, stunning, ability damage, ability drain, and death effects or necromancy effects.

Unlike other constructs, a living construct can use the run action.

Living constructs can be affected by spells that target living creatures as well as by those that target constructs. Damage dealt to a living construct can be healed by a cure light wounds spell or a repair light damage spell, for example, and a living construct is vulnerable to a harm spell. However, spells from the healing subschool provide only half effect to a living construct.

A living construct responds slightly differently from other living creatures when reduced to 0 hit points. A living construct with 0 hit points is disabled, just like a living creature. He can only take a single move action or standard action in each round, but strenuous activity does not risk further injury. When his hit points are less than 0 and greater than -10, a living construct is inert. He is unconscious and helpless, and he cannot perform any actions. However, an inert living construct does not lose additional hit points unless more damage is dealt to him, as with a living creature that is stable.

Can be raised or resurrected.

Does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe, but can still benefit from the effects of consumable spells and magic items such as heroes' feast and potions.

Does not need to sleep, but must rest for 8 hours before preparing spells

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_livingconstructsubtype&alpha

TaiLiu
2013-08-13, 05:40 PM
Q35

One of Complete Scoundrel's prestige classes, the Mountebank, has a class ability called Alter Ego:

Alter Ego (Sp): Starting at 3rd level, you establish an alternate identity. This alter ego has its own distinct physical characteristics, quirks, preferred clothing, and so on. At will, you can switch your form between that of your normal identity and that of your alter ego. This ability works like the alter self spell, except that you can assume only the appearance of your alternate identity. Your caster level for this ability is equal to your mountebank class level.
When it says "this ability works like the alter self spell, except that you can assume only the appearance of your alternate identity," does it mean that it gives the Mountebank the appearance and none of the other boosts of Alter Self, or does it mean that it works as Alter Self, except that it only allows you to change into your creature that is the Alter Ego?

Or, in other words: does it work like Alter Self, or more like a Changeling minor shape change ability?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-13, 05:48 PM
A 31

"Levels" refers to effective Cleric levels. In the TURN OR REBUKE UNDEAD rules (Player's Handbook, page 159) this is stated twice:

Turning Check refers to Table 8–9: Turning Undead, where "Cleric level" is specified.
Turning Damage gives the formula in terms of Cleric level.

Turn Undead (Su)

When a paladin reaches 4th level, she gains the supernatural ability to turn undead. She may use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + her Charisma modifier. She turns undead as a cleric of three levels lower would. All turn undead computations are a function of effective Cleric level.

A 33 Yes.

You have an effective Cleric level of 0. (See the above answer.) You can attempt to turn undead (or in this case, air creatures) with an effective Cleric level of 0; you would have some ability with a Charisma check of 13 or higher.

A 35

Alter Ego is a Spell-like ability.
Spell-Like Abilities (Sp)

Usually, a spell-like ability works just like the spell of that name. Given that, it functions just like Alter Self except limited to a single specified form.

Sith_Happens
2013-08-13, 06:07 PM
A 34 (Dispute? Correction? Answering the part of the question that the previous answer technically did not answer?)

While Warforged are indeed immune to fatigue and exhaustion, this does not exempt them from the limitations on the Run action:

You can run for a number of rounds equal to your Constitution score, but after that you must make a DC 10 Constitution check to continue running. You must check again each round in which you continue to run, and the DC of this check increases by 1 for each check you have made. When you fail this check, you must stop running. A character who has run to his limit must rest for 1 minute (10 rounds) before running again. During a rest period, a character can move no faster than a normal move action.

Similarly, a Warforged is still subject to nonlethal damage from hustling or walking too long.

...Which leads me to a question of my own:

Q 36

A character can hustle for 1 hour without a problem. Hustling for a second hour in between sleep cycles deals 1 point of nonlethal damage, and each additional hour deals twice the damage taken during the previous hour of hustling. A character who takes any nonlethal damage from hustling becomes fatigued.

Can a creature that doesn't sleep ever "reset" the number of hours that it's hustled for?

kkplx
2013-08-13, 06:30 PM
Q 37

Is there a spell/ritual/etc. that allows a high level character to freely change races, either by changing himself or by permanently taking over a different body?

Lateral
2013-08-13, 06:59 PM
Q 38

If a creature with vulnerability to fire gains resistance to fire (from, say, the resist energy spell), is fire damage multiplied before or after application of the fire resistance?

For example, say a creature has vulnerability to fire and it has a resist energy spell at CL 7 (for resist fire 20), and it takes 22 fire damage. Do they take (22x1.5)-20 = 11 fire damage, or (22-20)x1.5 = 3 fire damage?

Fax Celestis
2013-08-13, 07:36 PM
A38 Whichever is more beneficial to the player.

Curmudgeon
2013-08-13, 10:10 PM
A 37 No.

You might argue that Reincarnate + Maximize Spell, with a race result of "Other", would allow some specification of the resulting race. However, that's quite a stretch even with an accommodating DM.

mattie_p
2013-08-13, 10:39 PM
A 37 (correction): Yes.

Several methods come to mind. The 3.0 Savage Species book details several major rituals - The ritual of unlearning, the ritual of vitality, and wish - in which your physical body is changed. Do note that as a 3.0 book, the content may require "minor adjustments" to be suitable for a 3.5 campaign. Ask your DM what those adjustments might be.

Another method is to utilize the true mind switch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindSwitchTrue.htm) psionic power. This instantaneously swaps your body with that of your target - you retain your own mind. Read the power description for details.

killem2
2013-08-13, 11:00 PM
Q 39: If you use metamagic twin power on telekensis, and you throw say a dozen Greatswords, do you use the same greatswords for the twinned version, or do you have to have twice as many swords available?

erok0809
2013-08-13, 11:14 PM
Q40

Would a Cloak of Charisma increase the number of bonus spells per day that a Sorcerer gets, since it increases the ability score?

Fax Celestis
2013-08-13, 11:33 PM
A40 As long as he's wearing it when he recovers spells, yes. If he takes it off, they'll go away.

The Underlord
2013-08-13, 11:33 PM
Q 41 Does the necropolitan's increase to HD apply to future HD gained after the template is applied?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-14, 12:52 AM
A 39

Assuming you mean metapsionic (rather than metamagic) feat Twin Power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#twinPower) and power Telekinetic Thrust (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/telekineticThrust.htm) (rather than spell Telekinesis), then you will need twice as many greatswords.

Any variables in the power (such as duration, number of targets, and so on) are the same for both of the resulting powers. The number of greatswords is a power variable and must be the same for the base power and its twin. The greatswords themselves are not power variables.

Do note the following:

Greatswords are not hurled weapons. Your DM decides the damage for non-hurled weapons based on weight and assessed danger.
Other objects deal damage ranging from 1 point per 25 pounds of weight (for less dangerous objects such as an empty barrel) to 1d6 points per 25 pounds of weight (for hard, dense objects such as a boulder). (The power does specify a hurled damage standard for arrows and bolts, but not for any other non-thrown weapon.) Greatswords aren't designed to be hurled; they're more likely to arrive hilt first because that's the denser part, so your DM may decide they're not especially dangerous.
Because greatswords, when hurled, are improvised weapons, you'll have 10' range increments; i.e., you take a -2 penalty to hit at 10', -4 at 20', and so on; 5 range increments (50') is the maximum distance possible. (The maximum range is also limited by the power as a function of manifester level, so you would be limited to the lesser of the two.)
The power does not grant the manifester any weapon proficiencies, so you take the standard -4 nonproficiency penalty to all attacks.

A 41 No.

Unless there's an ongoing specification (such as the two different HD-based schedules for the Feral template in Savage Species), all template changes are done once when the template is applied. Necropolitan has no specification for later hit dice.

2gig
2013-08-14, 01:13 AM
Q42

Does grappling initiated by the spell Tongue Tendrils take into consideration the caster's grapple modifiers such as those from Improved Grapple or Legendary Wrestler?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-14, 01:48 AM
A 42 No.

Tongue Tendrils creates new "tongues" which each grapple as a Small creature with a Strength score of 20. The spellcaster's size and Strength aren't relevant to the tongues' grapple modifiers, nor are their feats.

Aharon
2013-08-14, 03:23 AM
Q43
Does Freedom of Movement interact with nonmagical effects that restrict movement, such as Tanglefoot bags or Nets, and if so, how?

kkplx
2013-08-14, 06:26 AM
Q 44

Is there an Item, Feat or Class feature that lets you not treat rolled 1s as automatic misses?

Khedrac
2013-08-14, 06:26 AM
A 38 dispute

Vulnerability is applied after fire resistance. In your example this is 3 damage.

If you go with whichever is most beneficial to the player it would change depending on whether the player is the target or the source of the fire attack which is flat-out wrong - the results should be consistent given the same circumstances.

Aharon
2013-08-14, 07:20 AM
A44
Better lucky than good from Complete scoundrel is a feat that lets you do this once per day as a swift action.
Otherwise, deities of rank 1 and greater don't fail automatically on a 1. Apart from that, there's only spells like Alter Fortune that also let you reroll.

killem2
2013-08-14, 07:37 AM
A 39

Assuming you mean metapsionic (rather than metamagic) feat Twin Power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#twinPower) and power Telekinetic Thrust (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/telekineticThrust.htm) (rather than spell Telekinesis), then you will need twice as many greatswords.
The number of greatswords is a power variable and must be the same for the base power and its twin. The greatswords themselves are not power variables.

Do note the following:

Greatswords are not hurled weapons. Your DM decides the damage for non-hurled weapons based on weight and assessed danger. (The power does specify a hurled damage standard for arrows and bolts, but not for any other non-thrown weapon.) Greatswords aren't designed to be hurled; they're more likely to arrive hilt first because that's the denser part, so your DM may decide they're not especially dangerous.
Because greatswords, when hurled, are improvised weapons, you'll have 10' range increments; i.e., you take a -2 penalty to hit at 10', -4 at 20', and so on; 5 range increments (50') is the maximum distance possible. (The maximum range is also limited by the power as a function of manifester level, so you would be limited to the lesser of the two.)
The power does not grant the manifester any weapon proficiencies, so you take the standard -4 nonproficiency penalty to all attacks.

Thank you for the additional info, but I dispute it's accuracy. The psion herself isn't physically using the weapons herself or trying to physically throw them. I see nothing in either the wizard version or the psion version that states you must be proficient or apply the rules for throwing and using an improvised weapon. (Proof where it says you do not get strength damage added on).

The text even straight out states, Hurled weapons deal their standard damage. Unless they have an errata this, I don't understand where you are getting so much extra penalty from.

Runestar
2013-08-14, 08:31 AM
Q 41 Does the necropolitan's increase to HD apply to future HD gained after the template is applied?

A39: I don't see why not. Necropolitan is just like lich or vampire template. All your current and future HD from class lvs would automatically be upgraded to d12s.

Chronos
2013-08-14, 09:28 AM
A 44 continued:
Others have covered attack rolls, but if you're also interested in saving throws, the Knight gets the "Impetuous Endurance" ability at level 17 that prevents a 1 from auto-failing on all saving throws, and the feat Steadfast Determination does the same thing for Fort saves specifically.

Ripptor
2013-08-14, 09:37 AM
Q 45:
While wearing an Amulet of Retributive Healing, and casting a Cure spell on an enemy which is healed, do you get healed in return?

Q 46:
While wearing an Amulet of Retributive Healing, and casting a Cure spell on an undead enemy which is harmed, do you get healed in return?

Fax Celestis
2013-08-14, 09:39 AM
Q23 How does Natural Bond interact with multiple animal companions (such as those gained by a prestige class like Beastmaster, where the later animal companions are granted at a lower effective druid level)?

Re-up. Anybody?

Aharon
2013-08-14, 09:46 AM
A23
It's clarified in the errata:

Page 111: Natural Bond
If a character has multiple animal companions, the
bonus granted by this feat applies to one of them.

mattie_p
2013-08-14, 10:03 AM
A39 A41: I don't see why not. Necropolitan is just like lich or vampire template. All your current and future HD from class lvs would automatically be upgraded to d12s.

This is incorrect. Curmudgeon provided the correct answer. Note the difference in text between the lich/vampire and necropolitan.

Hit Dice
Increase all current and future Hit Dice to d12s.

Hit Dice
Increase all current and future Hit Dice to d12s.

Hit Dice:
Increase to d12.

Necropolitans do not advance by hit dice, but by character class, and follow the standard rule for advancing by character class, including gaining the class hit die each level, unless specifically over-ridden (as by the Vampire and Lich templates).

If you believe a posted answer is incorrect, please ensure you check your sources before providing a correction, in accordance with the thread rules.

Vaz
2013-08-14, 10:22 AM
Q30
Does Psionic Contingency allow for Magic/Psionic Transparency (assuming Standard) to let it be used with Spells (such as on a Cerebremancer/Psychic Theurge?).

Hopeful repost.

Aharon
2013-08-14, 10:48 AM
A30
I don't think so. The most restrictive reading of the transparency would yield

When the rule about psionics-magic transparency is in effect, it has the following ramifications.

Spell resistance is effective against powers, using the same mechanics. Likewise, power resistance is effective against spells, using the same mechanics as spell resistance. If a creature has one kind of resistance, it is assumed to have the other. (The effects have similar ends despite having been brought about by different means.)

All spells that dispel magic have equal effect against powers of the same level using the same mechanics, and vice versa.

The spell detect magic detects powers, their number, and their strength and location within 3 rounds (though a Psicraft check is necessary to identify the discipline of the psionic aura).

Dead magic areas are also dead psionics areas.

which doesn't include the transparency you ask about.

But even if we take a less restrictive view and focus on the preceding sentence

The default rule for the interaction of psionics and magic is simple: Powers interact with spells and spells interact with powers in the same way a spell or normal spell-like ability interacts with another spell or spell-like ability. This is known as psionics-magic transparency.

Psionics-Magic Transparency
Though not explicitly called out in the spell descriptions or magic item descriptions, spells, spell-like abilities, and magic items that could potentially affect psionics do affect psionics.

this wouldn't result in the wanted interaction: powers are spell-like abilities, spells aren't. Therefore, you might, under this reading, put a spell-like ability other than a power in a psionic contingency, but not a spell. And since all spell-like abilities except powers lack power levels, those aren't legal, either.

Fax Celestis
2013-08-14, 10:48 AM
A30 No. Transparency only accounts for things like a dwarf's racial save bonus versus spells or spell resistance.

ksbsnowowl
2013-08-14, 11:48 AM
Q 47: Daylight is a touch spell that can affect objects only. If someone were to cast Daylight and touch the water inside a flask, then throw the flask as a splash weapon at a shadow mastiff, targeting not the shadow mastiff himself, but an intersection adjacent to him, causing the shadow mastiff to get hit by the splash, what happens?

The Daylight spell has no effect on the water? (Is it an "object" in the sense of something that can be targeted with a touch spell? If you say yes, then touch spells can't really ever be cast underwater, including healing spells.)

The water will glow with Daylight, but throwing it "breaks" the object, and thus the spell ends? (Just playing devil's advocate, here.)

The shadow mastiff is covered with Daylight-glowing droplets, and his Shadow Blend ability is unuseable?

If the splash works to transfer the Daylight "on to" the Shadow Mastiff, then why couldn't one casting of Daylight on a flask of water be poured into multiple flasks, giving you 10 Daylight effects for the cost of one spell?

Daylight
Target: Object touched
The object touched sheds light as bright as full daylight...
If daylight is cast on a small object that is then placed inside or under a light-proof covering, the spell’s effects are blocked until the covering is removed. So, Daylight could be cast on a large object, or a small object. A Wall of Stone? It's a single object; the whole wall would glow. But allowing Daylight to be cast on "the ocean" is a little outside the scope, I think.

A splash weapon is a ranged weapon that breaks on impact, splashing or scattering its contents over its target and nearby creatures or objects. ...
You can instead target a specific grid intersection. Treat this as a ranged attack against AC 5. However, if you target a grid intersection, creatures in all adjacent squares are dealt the splash damage...

For good measure:

Shadow Blend (Su): In any condition of illumination other than full daylight, a shadow mastiff can disappear into the shadows, giving it total concealment. Artificial illumination, even a light or continual flame spell, does not negate this ability. A daylight spell, however, will.

Curmudgeon
2013-08-14, 02:05 PM
Re: A 39
Thank you for the additional info, but I dispute it's accuracy. The psion herself isn't physically using the weapons herself or trying to physically throw them. "Physically" hurling weapons isn't required for the ranged attack rules to apply, and the power specifically requires you (the manifester character) to succeed with ranged attack rolls.
You can hurl one object or creature per manifester level (maximum fifteen separate targets) ...

You must succeed on ranged attack rolls (one per creature or object thrown) to hit the target of the hurled items with the items, applying your Intelligence modifier to the attack roll instead of your Dexterity modifier.
I see nothing in either the wizard version or the psion version that states you must be proficient or apply the rules for throwing and using an improvised weapon. (Proof where it says you do not get strength damage added on).
The D&D rules don't work that way. It's not necessary for any individual power or spell to tell or remind you of the relevant basic rules; instead, they are only required to state exceptions to those rules.

The text even straight out states, Hurled weapons deal their standard damage.
And what's the standard damage for a hurled greatsword? Here's how we get to the answer:
Improvised Weapons

Sometimes objects not crafted to be weapons nonetheless see use in combat. Because such objects are not designed for this use, any creature that uses one in combat is considered to be nonproficient with it and takes a -4 penalty on attack rolls made with that object. To determine the size category and appropriate damage for an improvised weapon, compare its relative size and damage potential to the weapon list to find a reasonable match. An improvised weapon scores a threat on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a critical hit. An improvised thrown weapon has a range increment of 10 feet. The Player's Handbook follows this rule with an explanation (page 114):
WEAPON QUALITIES
The weapon a character uses says something about who he or she is. You probably want to equip your character with both a melee weapon and a ranged weapon. If you can’t afford both your melee weapon of choice and your ranged weapon of choice, decide which is more important to the character. A greatsword is not crafted to be a ranged weapon; that's why it's got a big dash ("—") in the Range Increment column of the Weapons table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#tableWeapons).
Range Increment

Any attack at less than this distance is not penalized for range. However, each full range increment imposes a cumulative -2 penalty on the attack roll. A thrown weapon has a maximum range of five range increments. A greatsword is only designed to be a melee weapon, and only attacks at less than "—" range are not penalized for range; i.e., there will always be a penalty using one as an improvised hurled weapon. (If you can't afford proper thrown/hurled weapons, and only have greatswords, you can try to make do with them, but they're not going to work as well as if you gave hurled use greater importance in your weapons-buying decision.) If you hurl a weapon designed for such use in combat then the table specifies the standard damage for that use. Additionally, the power description states the standard for hurled damage of arrows and bolts, which are not designed for this use in combat. Beyond that, the power specifies a damage standard for improvised hurled weapons:
Other objects deal damage ranging from 1 point per 25 pounds of weight (for less dangerous objects such as an empty barrel) to 1d6 points per 25 pounds of weight (for hard, dense objects such as a boulder).
I don't understand where you are getting so much extra penalty from. I hope I've cited the rules sufficiently to elucidate that answer for you.

A 47 Nothing happens.

A flask of water is an object suitable for receiving a Daylight spell, but the water itself is not. A pint of water is composed of a huge number of individual water bits, which have no intrinsic connection to each other; that's why the container is necessary. You can't touch all of a quantity of water, and whatever amount you do touch isn't going to stay together separate from the amount you didn't touch. The consequence of this in D&D terms is that liquids, gases, and fine solids (flour, for instance) aren't treated as objects, and your spell will fail.
Spell Failure

If you ever try to cast a spell in conditions where the characteristics of the spell cannot be made to conform, the casting fails and the spell is wasted.

2gig
2013-08-14, 02:26 PM
Q 48

Can Empower Spell be used on Greater Magic Weapon or Ferocity of Sanguine Rage(DM)? I'm confused by what it means by "variable, numeric effects"... Does that mean just XdY?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-14, 02:33 PM
A 48

It's pretty much XdY, but also including formulas with such variables, like (1d4 + 1), and would multiply that total "variable, numeric effect" by 1½. A straight function of caster level isn't considered a variable for purposes of Empower Spell.

Ruethgar
2013-08-14, 03:14 PM
Q 49 If a Domain Sorcerer(Complete Champion variant) takes the undeath domain, do they get the ability to turn/rebuke undead?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-14, 03:33 PM
A 49 No.

The Domain Access ACF (Complete Champion, page 52) gives the Sorcerer the granted power of the chosen domain. The granted power of Undeath (Spell Compendium, page 281) is:
Granted Power: You gain Extra Turning (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#extraTurning) as a bonus feat.
Benefit: Each time you take this feat, you can use your ability to turn or rebuke creatures four more times per day than normal. As a Sorcerer you have no ability to rebuke any creatures. Despite the name, the granted power of Undeath is not specific to undead, nor does this give any ability to turn or rebuke undead. Extra Turning increases any existing abilities to turn/rebuke (without specifying which types), but does not grant them. This combination of class, ACF, and domain choice will be limited to the spells benefit until you somehow obtain the ability to turn/rebuke creatures (not necessarily undead).

killem2
2013-08-14, 03:59 PM
The D&D rules don't work that way. It's not necessary for any individual power or spell to tell or remind you of the relevant basic rules; instead, they are only required to state exceptions to those rules.

I hope I've cited the rules sufficiently to elucidate that answer for you.

I don't think d&d rules have any set way, to be honest :smallbiggrin:. If what you claim is correct, I don't understand the need to even have a break in sentences about "other object", and also talk about weapons. Weapons are objects, so no need to state that weapons deal their own damage.

And, many spells do state that they do or do not grant weapon profs, when relevant, and I don't think this is any case of basic rules in question.

The R.A.I to me is creeping in here, and it seems strange to ignore the fact you don't get to apply strength damage, because it's being hurled via intelligent will of the mind, and being directed by that (thus, no need to physical training to aim it).

Regardless, yes it is very clear, but I'm not convinced. You answered my first question of it all perfectly though :smallsmile: I'll start another thread for debating the rest. Thanks man!

Vaz
2013-08-14, 04:17 PM
Q50
I seem to remember their being a Cleric only spell which granted Proficiency in the weapon I'm carrying. I could possibly be thinking of Wieldskill, or Master's Touch, but the former is an Initiate of Gond only spell, while Master's Touch is Arcane only.

Heroics is one option I'd considered, but that is also Arcane only. (Neither am I thinking of War domain) Am I insane in thinking there is one?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-14, 05:41 PM
A 50

Weapon of the Deity (Spell Compendium, page 237) grants proficiency if you're carrying your deity's favored weapon. It's not Cleric-only; it also works for Paladins and Blackguards. Moon Blade is a Moon domain spell which grants proficiency with the created blade. As a domain-only spell it's pretty much reserved for Clerics.

ksbsnowowl
2013-08-14, 09:09 PM
Q 51: If a party of adventurers have only ever encountered Huge+ mature adult and older dragons, would it be reasonable to allow them to polymorph into any Large or smaller age categories?

mattie_p
2013-08-14, 09:19 PM
A 51: Fortunately for the adventurers (or unfortunately for the DM), there are no rules restrictions on forms for polymorph based on knowledge of the form or creature.

Restrictions exist based on size, type, hit dice, or a few other minor factors.

See the polymorph spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorph.htm) for more details.

ksbsnowowl
2013-08-14, 09:57 PM
A 51: Fortunately for the adventurers (or unfortunately for the DM), there are no rules restrictions on forms for polymorph based on knowledge of the form or creature.

My PC's will love you.

Curmudgeon
2013-08-14, 10:36 PM
Re: A 51
Fortunately for the adventurers (or unfortunately for the DM), there are no rules restrictions on forms for polymorph based on knowledge of the form or creature.
While the Polymorph line doesn't include restrictions on forms, neither does it contain any information on the names or properties of specific forms. The Monster Manual is part of the game rules, not part of the adventurers' knowledge base.

The DM is free to say "You want to Polymorph into a what?" if the desired form is one the adventurers haven't encountered, and cause the spell to fail if the PC has no in-game knowledge of that form. Polymorph does have restrictions on HD, after all, and if the spellcaster couldn't know the HD relative to their caster level (as specified by the questioner) then failure would be likely.
Spell Failure

If you ever try to cast a spell in conditions where the characteristics of the spell cannot be made to conform, the casting fails and the spell is wasted.

Short version: Ask your DM. The rules don't include either restrictions or a path to success for unknown forms with Polymorph.

ksbsnowowl
2013-08-14, 10:47 PM
Re: A 51

Short version: Ask your DM. The rules don't include either restrictions or a path to success for unknown forms with Polymorph.

To make clear, I have no intention of allowing them to pick anything and everything from the books. Many of the monsters in the books don't even exist in my game world.

I'm specifically asking about taking a known older/larger dragon form, and backing it down to a range that they are allowed by the spell to turn into.

mattie_p
2013-08-14, 10:56 PM
To make clear, I have no intention of allowing them to pick anything and everything from the books. Many of the monsters in the books don't even exist in my game world.

I'm specifically asking about taking a known older/larger dragon form, and backing it down to a range that they are allowed by the spell to turn into.

The only way it would be "known" is by having a PC with sufficient ranks in Knowledge (Arcana) to make a successful skill check with the DC equal to 10 + (dragon hit dice) of the encountered dragon. If a PC can identify an advanced dragon of a particular type, it can identify a dragon younger than that, due to the way that dragons age into hit dice.

Please open a new thread if you are interested in discussing imposing house-rule restrictions on polymorph (such as Curmudgeon has suggested).

Lateral
2013-08-15, 02:20 AM
Q 52:

What happens when you use an area dispel on multiple creatures with Haste on them? The way I see it, there are three possibilities:

You get one chance to dispel it per hasted creature in the spell's radius, and any success dispels the whole spell (for everyone).
You only get one chance to dispel it, but it dispels the whole spell.
You check to dispel it once for each hasted creature in the spell's radius, but dispelling it only applies to that creature.

Kred
2013-08-15, 02:26 AM
Q53
Does Warshaper's Morphic Weapons affect Monk's unarmed strike?

Q54
If a wizard become a necropolitan, will he get a d12 HD? And should he reroll his previous HD?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-15, 02:53 AM
A 52

Your option 1. is closest to correct. An Area version of Dispel Magic will dispel at most one spell per creature in the area. If one of those spells affecting a creature in the area is dispelled and it happens to be Haste, that spell is dispelled. If the same casting of Haste applied to multiple creatures in (or out of) the affected area, they are all affected by dispelling that spell. Note also that an Area version of Dispel Magic might end up dispelling some other spells, or none at all, depending on the various dispel check results; there is no guarantee that the casting of Haste would either be dispelled or remain in effect.

A 53 No.
unarmed strike

A successful blow, typically dealing nonlethal damage, from a character attacking without weapons. A monk can deal lethal damage with an unarmed strike, but others deal nonlethal damage. The ability to grow new weapons has no impact on someone who attacks without weapons.

A 54

Yes, the existing hit dice increase to d12. As for how the new HP total is accomplished (re-rolling or adding the average difference), that's up to the DM; the Monster Manual does not provide guidance in its instructions on ADDING A TEMPLATE, STEP-BY-STEP on page 293.

Alokue
2013-08-15, 03:23 AM
Q55: Can the primordial template, through any sort of sorcery (template stacking or otherwise), be applied to a human, strongheart halfling, azurin, or any other race with a bonus feat, without going above LA +1?

Cybris75
2013-08-15, 03:54 AM
Q56

Can a level 1 cleric select the Law domain and the Law Devotion feat instead of selecting two domains?

Aharon
2013-08-15, 04:07 AM
A56 Yes, he can.

Curmudgeon
2013-08-15, 04:12 AM
A 56 Maybe.

Complete Champion allows a Cleric to give up access to a domain they have selected for the corresponding domain feat. However, the player must have previously selected two domains as part of starting the Cleric character at level 1.
A cleric chooses two domains from among those belonging to his deity. A cleric can select an alignment domain (Chaos, Evil, Good, or Law) only if his alignment matches that domain. Thus the Cleric cannot select Law twice, with the aim of subsequently trading in one instance for Law Devotion.

There is another approach which could achieve your goal. Complete Champion lists domain equivalencies for domains which do not have matching domain feats. The Pact domain's equivalent domain feat is Law Devotion. D&D deities Cyrrollalee (Forgotten Realms) and Bralm (Greyhawk) offer both Law and Pact, so a Lawful Cleric worshiping one of these could keep Law and exchange Pact for Law Devotion.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-08-15, 04:14 AM
A 56

No, A cleric selects two domains and then may trade one in for a domain feat.

From the section on domain feats:

Clerics and Domain Feats:
...In addition, you can choose to give up access to a domain in exchange for the corresponding domain feat. Doing so allows you to select up to three domain feats, but you cannot prepare domain spells or use the granted power of the sacrificed domain. In essence, you trade in a domain for an extra feat slot that you can spend only on a specific domain feat. For example, the above cleric of Pelor could choose to give up the granted power and spells of the Good domain for the Good Devotion feat.

Edit: Actually, Curmudgeon may have a point. Ask your DM if the clerics ability to select two domains means two different domains or if you can select the same one twice.

Runestar
2013-08-15, 08:46 AM
This is incorrect. Curmudgeon provided the correct answer. Note the difference in text between the lich/vampire and necropolitan.

Necropolitans do not advance by hit dice, but by character class, and follow the standard rule for advancing by character class, including gaining the class hit die each level, unless specifically over-ridden (as by the Vampire and Lich templates).

If you believe a posted answer is incorrect, please ensure you check your sources before providing a correction, in accordance with the thread rules.

You would all rather believe that the creator intended for a necropolitan wizard to have something like 5d12 +5d4 hp, rather than it simply be a case of poor wording?

Andezzar
2013-08-15, 09:08 AM
You would all rather believe that the creator intended for a necropolitan wizard to have something like 5d12 +5d4 hp, rather than it simply be a case of poor wording?What we believe or what houserules we use at our tables is beyond the scope of this thread.

Q 57

A command activated magic item that can cast a spell infinite times per day neither counts as continuous or use activated, for the purpose of determining the price, right?

Q 58

Do use activated magic items also incur the cost modifier as items with a continuous effect?

Q 59

What's the difference between a use activated magic item that occupies a body slot and one that has a continuous effect?

Vaz
2013-08-15, 09:36 AM
A55
No. The only Primordial Template I know of is the Primordial Giant Template from Secrets of Xen'Drik, which may only be applied to a Giant as an Inherited Template.

kkplx
2013-08-15, 11:45 AM
Q 60

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/zoneOfTruth.htm
I know you can willfully fail your save, but is there a way that the caster or someone else can make sure that everyone is affected? Detect Magic maybe?

Lateral
2013-08-15, 11:53 AM
Q 61

If two creatures are grappling, and one of the creatures is knocked out of the other's square (say, by an attack with the awesome blow feat, or a bull rush), what happens? Does the grapple end automatically?

Q 62

What if they're only partially knocked out of another's square (say, if they're knocked back 5 feet and the grapplers are both Large)? What happens then?

Whisper rider
2013-08-15, 12:02 PM
Q 63.
Does anyone knows how much a +1 Wild dragon hide full plate would cost?? CRAFTED by a 10th level Druid.

Andezzar
2013-08-15, 12:15 PM
A 63

Armorsmiths can work with the hides of dragons to produce armor or shields of masterwork quality.
[...]
Dragonhide armor costs double what masterwork armor of that type ordinarily costs, but it takes no longer to make than ordinary armor of that type.So an unenchanted dragonhide full plate costs 2*(1500gp+150gp)=3300gp
Enchanting it with +1 and Wild costs the equivalent of a +4 armor enchantment or 16000gp.
In total that's 19300gp.
It does not matter whether the creator is a level 10 Druid or any other caster capable of casting Baleful Polymorph and at least CL 9.

Whisper rider
2013-08-15, 12:25 PM
A 63
So an unenchanted dragonhide full plate costs 2*(1500gp+150gp)=3300gp
Enchanting it with +1 and Wild costs the equivalent of a +4 armor enchantment or 16000gp.
In total that's 19300gp.
It does not matter whether the creator is a level 10 Druid or any other caster capable of casting Baleful Polymorph and at least CL 9.

but.. isnt it cheaper if my PC craft it? (im the 10th lvl druid.)

NeoPhoenix0
2013-08-15, 12:31 PM
A 63

3,300 (Dragonhide Fullplate) + 16,000 (+1 Wild (effectively +4)) = 19,300 gp market price
Cost to craft Dragonhide Fullplate using Craft (Armorsmithing) 1,100 gp
Cost to enchant with +1 wild 8,000 gp and 640 xp
Prerequisites to enchant Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat, CL 9, and Baleful Polymorph spell

Does this help?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-15, 12:51 PM
A 60 No.

Detect Magic will only tell you that there's an active spell in the area, not any particulars about whether individual creatures in that area are affected by it.
Succeeding on a Saving Throw

A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack. Likewise, if a creature’s saving throw succeeds against a targeted spell you sense that the spell has failed. You do not sense when creatures succeed on saves against effect and area spells. If you want to determine whether a truth-revealing spell is successful, an individually-targeted spell like Discern Lies (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/discernLies.htm) might be a better alternative than the limited versatility of a low-level area spell.

WhamBamSam
2013-08-15, 01:01 PM
Q64: Can you ignore size penalties on Setting Sun throws using Confound the Big Folk?

Q65 If you have Improved Trip and use Confound the Big Folk or a Setting Sun throw to make it a Dex check instead of a Str check, do you still get the +4 bonus?

I'm guessing the answers are no and no, but thought I'd ask.

Andezzar
2013-08-15, 01:12 PM
but.. isnt it cheaper if my PC craft it? (im the 10th lvl druid.)Sorry I wrote down the market price of that item. NeoPhoenix0 wrote down the correct cost for the raw materials to create such an item.

unseenmage
2013-08-15, 01:15 PM
Q66

Does one personal transformation spell replace another?

Case in point, Megalodon Empowerment spell and that spell that makes the subject into a warforged titan. (Urrgh, cannot remember or find it for the life of me!)

Curmudgeon
2013-08-15, 01:25 PM
A 64 No.

Confound the Big Folk allows three combat maneuvers. Ignoring size penalties is not on the list of what those maneuvers can do.

A 65 No.

Improved Trip gives +4 to your Strength check to trip your opponent. If you do not make a Strength check you receive no benefit.

A 66 Yes.

This is an example of One Effect Makes Another Irrelevant in the magic stacking limits; see Player's Handbook on page 172. Basically, you have only one body, and it can only have one form at a time.

Fax Celestis
2013-08-15, 01:34 PM
Q66

Does one personal transformation spell replace another?

Case in point, Megalodon Empowerment spell and that spell that makes the subject into a warforged titan. (Urrgh, cannot remember or find it for the life of me!)

Body of War in the SpC, FWIW.

kaaskeizer
2013-08-15, 01:43 PM
im trying to build a ultimate monk (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Ultimate_Monk_%283.5e_Optimized_Character_Build%29 #Unarmed_Strike)

Q 67

how did this guy become a dire bear?? O.o

Q 68

can anyone tell me how this build menages to get warshaper perquisites?
(i obviously didnt find out how he became a dire bear)

Urpriest
2013-08-15, 02:02 PM
im trying to build a ultimate monk (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Ultimate_Monk_%283.5e_Optimized_Character_Build%29 #Unarmed_Strike)

Q 67

how did this guy become a dire bear?? O.o

Q 68

can anyone tell me how this build menages to get warshaper perquisites?
(i obviously didnt find out how he became a dire bear)

A 67 and 68

The bear form appears to be gained through the Metamorphosis power, Warshaper is then (incorrectly) qualified for using that power.

unseenmage
2013-08-15, 02:09 PM
Body of War in the SpC, FWIW.
Thank you! Re-written down for future reference.

A 66 Yes.

This is an example of One Effect Makes Another Irrelevant in the magic stacking limits; see Player's Handbook on page 172. Basically, you have only one body, and it can only have one form at a time.
Thank you.

Q69
Is there any way to allow two transmutations to affect the same target?
Again, specifically Megalodon Empowerment and Body of War.

Sylian
2013-08-15, 02:22 PM
Q 70

What happens if you pick the Knowledge domain at level 1 and then trades it at level 2 for Knowledge Devotion? Do you keep the skill ranks spent?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-15, 02:51 PM
A 70 Yes.

Skill ranks are not changed retroactively. Your decision to trade Knowledge for Knowledge Devotion removes the granted power of that domain, so Knowledges are no longer class skills and your maximum skill ranks numbers are lower. You are prohibited from adding skill points if you already at or over the maximum ranks allowed.

Lateral
2013-08-15, 03:08 PM
Reposting, since this is really urgent:

Q 61

If two creatures are grappling, and one of the creatures is knocked out of the other's square (say, by an attack with the awesome blow feat, or a bull rush), what happens? Does the grapple end automatically?

Q 62

What if they're only partially knocked out of another's square (say, if they're knocked back 5 feet and the grapplers are both Large)? What happens then?

The Viscount
2013-08-15, 03:24 PM
Q 71
I know that undead with fast healing only heal when at 1 or more hp, but what about living creatures? Does their fast healing function at 0 to -9hp?

NeoPhoenix0
2013-08-15, 03:31 PM
A 71

Unless otherwise stated, Yes they can heal while at 0 to -9 hp.

kkplx
2013-08-15, 03:56 PM
Q 72

Is there a way for a PC to curse his own items? Can he choose the exact effect of the curse?

I'd like to enchant one of my items with a curse that prevents it from being removed, but resources on the matter seem hard to come by.

Kred
2013-08-15, 04:05 PM
Q73
Does spell slots stack due to multiclass?

Fax Celestis
2013-08-15, 04:29 PM
A73 No. You gain two separate spellcasting slot sets.

2gig
2013-08-15, 06:14 PM
Q 74

Does the extra attack action from Rapid Strikes (DR275 p85) stack with the extra attack action from haste? Haste says it doesn't stack with similar effects, but also explicitly states that it's not an extra action, while Rapid Strikes explicitly states that it is an extra partial action. Oddly, the example in Rapid Strikes is worded to imply that haste proves an extra action...

rockdeworld
2013-08-15, 06:29 PM
A 72
Yes, any of the abilities of Specific Cursed Items (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#specificCursedItems) can be added to a magic item if you meet the crafting prerequisites.

However, I'm not sure of any curse that does what you want. The best I can offer is to hollow out a weapon of some sort, put the item inside, and then attach the weapon to a locked guantlet. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#gauntletLocked)

Q 75
I'm in the bizarre position of taking a ToB PrC that grants maneuvers known before allowing me to ready them (Shadow Sun Ninja), and I don't have any other martial adept levels.

a. Can I ready these maneuvers? The passage here makes me think that I can:

If you have no levels in a martial adept class (if you learned a maneuber by taking the Martial Study feat), you can ready each maneuver you know.
b. If it's the case that I can, is there a recovery mechanic, or do I just get the maneuvers once per encounter, or do I just get them once per day?

c. Once I get at least 1 maneuver readied (SSN 5), what recovery mechanic do I use?

Ruethgar
2013-08-15, 07:06 PM
Q 76 Does having an animal language help with or speed up the use of Handle Animal?

jaydubs
2013-08-15, 07:23 PM
Q77

Is there some convenient way for a dragon to not be naked when it uses alternate form to become a humanoid? Can it become a humanoid with clothes included? Appear with whatever clothes it had on last time it was humanoid, or are those clothes destroyed by the increased size?

Or is it a case where dragons need to either obtain clothes beforehand as a dragon, or wander into a city naked to buy some?

rockdeworld
2013-08-15, 08:46 PM
Q78
SSN says

Your add your class level to your monk level to determine your class-based AC bonus, unarmed damage, unarmored speed bonus, penalty on your attacks when using your flurry of blows ability, and the number of daily attempts of your Stunning Fist feat
If I have no monk levels (or abilities), will this give me any of those?

kaaskeizer
2013-08-15, 09:05 PM
Q 79

im looking for some items that grant you extra power points per day (for psionic powers) i got about 27 500 gold left
whats the best place to look?

Fax Celestis
2013-08-15, 10:22 PM
A78 Depends on your DM. My take is 0+1 = 1, but other DMs might see it as Ø+1 = Ø.

Curmudgeon
2013-08-15, 11:29 PM
A 76
Give the skill user a +2 circumstance bonus to represent conditions that improve performance, such as having the perfect tool for the job, getting help from another character (see Combining Skill Attempts), or possessing unusually accurate information. The standard circumstance modifications for skill checks would seem to apply.

A 77

Creating clothing is not a property of the Alternate Form special ability.

A 78 No.

You have none of these Monk class-based abilities, so adding effective extra levels to non-existent abilities results in nothing. Similarly, if you do have the Stunning Fist feat you would receive the stated benefit, but if you do not then you would also gain nothing from this Shadow Sun Ninja class feature.

Khedrac
2013-08-16, 07:08 AM
A 74

Sorry but this is a DM's call.

The reference to a "partial action" makes Rapid Strikes 3.0 material not 3.5. This is confirmed by the reference to haste which was a very different spell in 3.0.

3.0 material can be used in a 3.5 game with a little conversion - it is the DM's call what conversion is required.

Aharon
2013-08-16, 09:47 AM
Repost concerning FoM

Q43
Does Freedom of Movement interact with nonmagical effects that restrict movement, such as Tanglefoot bags or Nets, and if so, how?

Vaz
2013-08-16, 10:19 AM
Q 79

im looking for some items that grant you extra power points per day (for psionic powers) i got about 27 500 gold left
whats the best place to look?
A79
Manifester Arrows can be enchanted in groups of 50, for cheaper than a comparative amount of weapons. I believe it works out around 8K for 250 PP restored this way. I cannot remember which book the enchantment is wothin: either the XPH, CPsi, or MiC (I doubt the latter, though).

kkplx
2013-08-16, 10:28 AM
Q 80

Can a Dragon in Alternate form (for example the Steel Dragon from Dragons of Faerun) use his breath weapon in his alternate form, if it has a mouth?

kkplx
2013-08-16, 10:45 AM
Q 81

Does a Dragon automatically qualify for Entangling Exhalation (http://dndtools.eu/feats/races-of-the-dragon--83/entangling-exhalation--900/)?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-16, 10:52 AM
A 80 No.

From the Alternate Form special ability description:
The creature retains the spell-like abilities and supernatural attacks of its old form (except for breath weapons and gaze attacks). It does not gain the spell-like abilities or attacks of its new form.

kkplx
2013-08-16, 11:59 AM
Q 82

What (and how many) spells would a Dragon with both the Loredrake Sovereign archetype (Dragons of Eberron) and the feat Draconic Power (http://dndtools.eu/feats/races-of-the-dragon--83/draconic-power--710/) be able to cast, assuming the base creature had Sorcerer CL1?

I'm not sure if he'd be able to cast level 2 spells, basically.

Andezzar
2013-08-16, 12:15 PM
A 82

The feat does nothing to the spells per day or spells known of the dragon. It only increases its caster level. Caster level is just a way to determine certain numerical values of spells (like damage dice, duration etc.). To change the spells per day you would need something that increases the dragon's effective sorcerer (or other spellcaster) level or gain more levels in spellcasting classes.

Adding the Loredrake Archetype to the CL 1 dragon will increase its effective sorcerer level to 3. A level 3 Sorcerer does not get 2nd level spell slots or spells known. If you add the feat, all his level 0 and 1 spells, will be cast at Caster Level 4 (e.g. mage armor lasts 4 instead of 3 hours).

kkplx
2013-08-16, 12:46 PM
Q 83

If a Dragon had both the Flame of the Forge Sovereign Archetype and a Class Level in Artificer, would he effectively be able to craft items at Artificer Level +4? Especially since that Archetype is clearly extremely close to the Artificer class.

Ruethgar
2013-08-16, 12:57 PM
Q 84 If you have damage reduction and cast shield other on yourself, would you apply DR twice per attack since the total damage is coming from two different sources(the attack and the spell)?

Chronos
2013-08-16, 01:12 PM
A 81:
Most dragons will certainly qualify for Entangling Exhalation. Having the dragon type qualifies a creature for things that require the dragonblood subtype, and most dragons have some form of breath weapon or another.

The tricky bit comes with those few dragons without a breath weapon, like wyverns or pseudodragons. By some interpretations, a dragon can ignore all of the prerequisites of a feat or other option that requires the dragonblood subtype: If this is the case, then a wyvern could take Entangling Exhalation (though would still be unable to use it, unless it somehow gained a breath weapon). This was probably not the intended interpretation, however, and many DMs will rule otherwise.

kkplx
2013-08-16, 01:20 PM
Q 85

I am so sorry for all these questions ;_;
How does the casting of Druid spells work that you gain by taking the Sovereign type of "Child of Eberron"?

Can the Dragon spontaneously cast any Druid spell as an arcane spell, using up his sorcerer Spell slots?
Does he get an entirely separate Progression for his druid spells, allowing him to almost double his daily spells?
Wearing Armor would not stop him from casting Druid spells, right? Since that inhibition is specific to the Druid class, not their spell list?

Fax Celestis
2013-08-16, 01:38 PM
A85 He would basically use the same spellcasting, just substituting the druid list for the sorcerer one. And you are correct about the armor thing. Don't listen to me, I'm misremembering.

Ruethgar
2013-08-16, 01:42 PM
A 85 No, by RAW a Child of Eberron cannot use his sorcerer spell slots to cast druid spells. Child of Eborron doesn't grant druid spells or spellcasting in any sense of the word. If you have a way to cast spells from the druid list you can cast them as arcane. Wearing metal armor would not prohibit casting of spells from the druid list unless you were casting them as a druid, however arcane spell failure may apply if you cast the spells as arcane. This allows a 3rd level druid dragon to qualify for Arcane Hierophant without an arcane spellcasting class, but does nothing for an arcane casting dragon apart from giving Druidic as a bonus language and Survival as a class skill.

The druid spell list was likely intended to be added to spells known or at least add to, or replace, the sorcerer spell list and be treated as a normal sorcerer spell, but that's the realm of RAI not RAW.

Whisper rider
2013-08-16, 03:16 PM
Q 86

1. Im a Kobold Sorcerer
2. I Create an Fire Giant Skelleton (animate dead)
3. I Cast Magic Jar

Can i posses the Skelleton? ... Does I get the granted Features of an Undead And the proeficiency of the Receptor body like weapon proeficiency?

kkplx
2013-08-16, 03:33 PM
A 85 No, by RAW a Child of Eberron cannot use his sorcerer spell slots to cast druid spells. Child of Eborron doesn't grant druid spells or spellcasting in any sense of the word. If you have a way to cast spells from the druid list you can cast them as arcane. Wearing metal armor would not prohibit casting of spells from the druid list unless you were casting them as a druid, however arcane spell failure may apply if you cast the spells as arcane. This allows a 3rd level druid dragon to qualify for Arcane Hierophant without an arcane spellcasting class, but does nothing for an arcane casting dragon apart from giving Druidic as a bonus language and Survival as a class skill.

The druid spell list was likely intended to be added to spells known or at least add to, or replace, the sorcerer spell list and be treated as a normal sorcerer spell, but that's the realm of RAI not RAW.

Q 87, followup to A85

Doesn't the ability of dragons to cast cleric spells from the cleric list or certain cleric domains fall under the same rules? They don't get to cast from them unless they actually take class levels in cleric? Because unless i'm misreading something small it's the exact same wording as the Archetypes (DMG 69)

"Spells:A dragon knows and casts arcane spells as a sorcerer of the level indicated in its variety description, gaining bonus spells for a high charisma
score. Some dragons can also cast spells from the cleric list or cleric domain lists as arcane spells" DMG

"All true dragons have the potential to use arcane magic. Most have the ability to select spells from the cleric spell list and certain domains [...] This special ability replaces the optional spell selection abilities a dragon normally possesses"
"A child of Eberron can cast spells from the druid spell list as arcane spells."
"A fortune’s fang can cast cleric spells and spells from the Feast, Luck, and Trickery domains as arcane spells."
etc. DoE

Quite a few of the premade Metallic Dragons have Cure spells in their list. So how would casting those spells work? Spontaneous casting from the entire list, or "only" the ability to spend "spells known" slots of your sorcerer progression on having Druid spells known instead of sorc spells?

Ruethgar
2013-08-16, 03:57 PM
A 87 Yes, the ability for dragons to cast cleric spells do follow the same rules. It was poorly worded and by RAW it functions like a limited Alternate Source Spell (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Alternative_Source_Spell).

Judging from some quick calculations based on the example dragons given in various texts, one can assume that the cleric list and domains are meant to be added to the sorcerer list and you have to spend spells known on them as sorcerer spells. By extension, Child of Eberron dragons would be able to pick spells known from both the druid and sorcerer lists. But that is not how the wording of the ability plays out by RAW.

Khedrac
2013-08-16, 04:27 PM
A 84
It's actually a specious to allow you to cast Shield Other on yourself, yes it does not explicitly prohibit it, bu the wording of the focus component does implicitly state it by stating that the rings must be "worn by both you and the warded creature" - you on your own are not both. That aside as you can disagree over the English so on to part 2.

Damage Reduction does not affect the damage transferred as it is caused by the spell and thus is not subject to DR.

ksbsnowowl
2013-08-16, 05:00 PM

Q 88: Forgive me, but doesn't the Child of Eberron archetype just add druid spells to the list of spells you can choose as known spells (much the same way a Red dragon can choose Cleric spells as known spells)? That doesn't seem to be what you are saying here.

Venger
2013-08-16, 06:08 PM
Q 89 If a master transmogrifist picks an ooze as one of his favored shapes, at level 8 and beyond, when he gets their ex SQs, does he gain the "mindless" ability and thus become immune to mind-affecting effects or not since polymorph and the like allow you to retain your own intelligence?

Ruethgar
2013-08-16, 06:54 PM
A 88 That is what was intended, and what is put into practice in creature entries, but not what it says by RAW. Red dragons cannot choose cleric spells as sorcerer spells known and nor can Child of Eberron dragons choose druid spells as sorcerer spells known by RAW, but they can by RAI.

Curmudgeon
2013-08-16, 07:29 PM
A 89
Manifest Qualities (Ex): At 8th level and higher, a master transmogrifist has all the extraordinary special qualities of any favored shape he assumes. There is no option; the Master Transmogrifist does have all the Extraordinary special qualities of any favored shape assumed. However, that doesn't necessarily mean they have the Mindless trait. Let's step through the rules:

Mindless is an Ooze type trait.
Page 300 of Monster Manual lists type traits under Special Qualities:
—Type traits (for example, construct traits)
These abilities are described in Chapter 7: Glossary.
There is no entry describing Mindless in the Monster Manual Glossary (Chapter 7), though it's mentioned in passing in the Glossary entry for Nonabilities on page 312.
Page 6 of Monster Manual states:
A special ability is either extraordinary (Ex), spell-like (Sp), or supernatural (Su). See the Glossary for definitions of special abilities.
That's as far as the RAW take us. Despite stating in multiple places that the MM Glossary would define special abilities for us, they do not define or categorize Mindless. There is no rule assigning unclassified special abilities to any one of these three categories (Extraordinary, Spell-like, or Supernatural). Furthermore, the Monster Manual doesn't cover any of these categories; instead, that's done in the Dungeon Master's Guide Glossary (page 289). But again, there's no assignment prescription: there is no default category, and no rule telling us to use the category descriptions to attempt to categorize abilities. As a consequence, Mindless remains uncategorized. Manifest Qualities picks up only Extraordinary special qualities, not uncategorized special qualities.

If Mindless is treated as Extraordinary (if your individual DM decides to make a house rule and assign it to the Extraordinary category), the Master Transmogrifist would have it exactly as stated in the Ooze traits:

—Mindless: No Intelligence score, and immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects). The character would be an automaton from that point forward:
A creature with no Intelligence score is mindless, an automaton operating on simple instincts or programmed instructions. Polymorph specifies that the caster retains their own Intelligence score. Manifest Qualities makes a change that goes beyond the described limits of that spell, and Mindless (if treated as Extraordinary) necessarily removes the spellcaster's Intelligence.

The only way the Master Transmogrifist can become immune to mind-affecting effects by choosing an Ooze type Favored Shape is if they become a non-intelligent automaton, and that would require your DM to institute a house rule.

rockdeworld
2013-08-16, 08:22 PM
Repost.

Q 75
I'm in the bizarre position of taking a ToB PrC that grants maneuvers known before allowing me to ready them (Shadow Sun Ninja), and I don't have any other martial adept levels.

a. Can I ready these maneuvers? The passage here makes me think that I can:

If you have no levels in a martial adept class (if you learned a maneuber by taking the Martial Study feat), you can ready each maneuver you know.
b. If it's the case that I can, is there a recovery mechanic, or do I just get the maneuvers once per encounter, or do I just get them once per day?

c. Once I get at least 1 maneuver readied (SSN 5), what recovery mechanic do I use?

mattie_p
2013-08-16, 09:52 PM
A 75:

a. No. From ToB p 96:

If you do not have any levels in a martial adept standard class (crusader, swordsage, or warblade) before gaining levels in a prestige class that improves your martial maneuver progression, some special rules apply. ...

Maneuvers Readied: The number of maneuvers you can ready is equal to the number of maneuvers you have learned by means of the Martial Study feat, plus the number of new maneuvers readied you gain from your prestige class advancement. If the number of maneuvers you know exceeds the number you are permitted to ready, you must choose which maneuvers to ready and which to leave unreadied, just like a standard martial adept.

Martial study has some special rules, though, which do not allow not ready that maneuver in exchange for another maneuver known (but see below).

b. Once per encounter. Again, ToB p96:

Recovery: You cannot recover expended maneuvers in an encounter if you do not have levels in a martial adept class, so each of your readied maneuvers is usable once per encounter. You can recover your expended maneuvers outside combat with 5 minutes of exercise and meditation.

Also (from the same page)

If you gain access to a prestige class by taking the Martial Study feat, and that class has its own progression of maneuvers known, those new maneuvers can be used only once per encounter. You retain the recovery method you previously had.

c. See my answer to part b.

-----------------------

My answer to part b might seem to contradict part a. Here's why it doesn't.

From ToB p 38:

You can only choose to initiate a maneuver that is currently readied and unexpended.

Martial Study has specific rules that allow you to initiate those maneuvers, even though they are not readied. In fact, the feat never indicates those maneuvers are readied. So if you qualified for Shadow Sun Ninja via more than one Martial Study feat, you never have any maneuvers readied.

Andezzar
2013-08-17, 05:48 AM
Q 90

Can you take Martial Stance on the same level as you take your first level in an Initiator class?

Q 91

Which playable races/monsters qualify for rapidstrike?

Arkusus
2013-08-17, 06:33 AM
Q92

Oath of Blood modifies the Geas/Quest spell so it will raise the target as an undead if they die before completing their task.

Question: What happens if the undead is destroyed? Do they raise again and again till the duration wears off or the task is completed? Or are they released then like dying would have originally done anyway?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-17, 08:41 AM
A 90 No.

The Level Advancement rules in Player's Handbook (pages 58-59) set the order in which you perform all the steps of going up a level. Step 7. Feats comes before step 9. Class Features where you make all the decisions regarding features offered by the class. Because Martial Stance requires one martial maneuver as a prerequisite, you can't take the feat before you select the maneuvers granted as a feature of your martial adept class.

Sith_Happens
2013-08-17, 08:51 AM
Q 93

Does a creature need line of effect to a Ghoul Glyph (SpC) to trigger it?

Q 94

Can a Dimensional Anchor cast from the Material Plane hit a creature on the Ethereal?

Q 95

How do you determine which plane a Blinking creature is on at the moment it becomes affected by a spell or effect that blocks planar travel (e.g.- a Dimensional Lock cast to include the space it's Blinking in)?

EDIT:

Q 96

Can negative levels render a caster unable to cast certain levels of spells, separate from the loss of slots (e.g.- can a 5th level Wizard with a negative level still cast 3rd level spells, assuming they still have one left)?

Khedrac
2013-08-17, 10:20 AM
A 96 Yes - this is one of the ways you can end up below minimum caster level. Negative Levels are very clear on the exact effect each level has so if you have a spell still available you can still cast it.

Ossian
2013-08-17, 11:29 AM
Q 97

In the SRD, under the epic base classes (Monk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/classProgressions.htm#epicMonk)), it says:

Stunning Attack
If the monk has the Stunning Fist feat use the monk’s class level when determining the DC to resist this attack, as normal.

The description of stunning fist, however, says 1/2 your character level.

Foes this mean that monks use all their monk levels? Or the monk levels + 1/2 the other character levels? Or does it mean that only the "EPIC" levels in the monk class count as whole?

yugi24862
2013-08-17, 12:06 PM
Q98

Can I TWF with a 2-handed weapons and armour spikes/unarmed strikes?

Chronos
2013-08-17, 12:57 PM
A 98:

Yes.

geekintheground
2013-08-17, 01:01 PM
Q 99

Do Dragon Shamans qualify for draconic feats even without the dragonblood subtype? (see: page 18 of dragon magic)

ZamielVanWeber
2013-08-17, 01:29 PM
Q100
Can I use Versatile Spellcaster to apply a metamagic feat above the current level I can cast?

EX: I am level 2. I use Versatile Spellcaster to try to apply Extend (a +1) to a 1st level spell.

Curmudgeon
2013-08-17, 02:41 PM
A 93 No.

Only proximity is required to trigger a Ghoul Glyph.

A 94 No.
You must make a ranged touch attack to hit the target. You cannot succeed on a ranged touch attack across planar boundaries; another plane is effectively its own universe with its own natural laws.

A 95
A dimensional lock does not interfere with the movement of creatures already in ethereal or astral form when the spell is cast
Physical attacks against you have a 50% miss chance, and the Blind-Fight feat doesn’t help opponents, since you’re ethereal and not merely invisible. A blinking creature is ethereal for the duration of the spell (not just the 50% of the time they're actually on the Ethereal Plane), and thus not affected by Dimensional Lock.

A 97
Special: A monk may select Stunning Fist as a bonus feat at 1st level, even if she does not meet the prerequisites. A monk who selects this feat may attempt a stunning attack a number of times per day equal to her monk level, plus one more time per day for every four levels she has in classes other than monk. It would appear you overlooked the Special section of the feat.

A 99 No.

The special treatment of Dragon Shamans restricts their heritage selection to just the one which matches the totem dragon assigned to their Draconic Aura; it does not provide any benefit.

A 100 Yes.

Ossian
2013-08-17, 03:50 PM
A 93 No.

A 97 It would appear you overlooked the Special section of the feat.

Q 97 my perplexity was on how many levels to count to determine the DC of the fortitude save to resist the stunning fist effects

A.A.King
2013-08-17, 04:19 PM
Q 97 my perplexity was on how many levels to count to determine the DC of the fortitude save to resist the stunning fist effects

Q101
If a monk's prestige classes counts as monk levels for Flurry of Blows, does it also count for the Alternative Class Features which you can get by trading out Flurry of Blows (like Decisive Strike) and which also improves at higher levels?

rockdeworld
2013-08-17, 04:24 PM
Thanks Fax Celestis, Curmudgeon and mattie_p :smallsmile:

A 97
This is a throwback to 3e's Stunning Attack (hence the name). In 3e, the Monk also used 1/2 his level to determine the DC, so it's 1/2 your monk level.

Curmudgeon
2013-08-17, 04:35 PM
The formula is always the same in 3.5: DC = 10 + ½ your character level + your Wis modifier. Epic Level Handbook is pre-3.5 material, and the SRD treatment of the Epic Monk based on this is the source of the confusion.

In 3.0 D&D the Monk had a Stunning Attack class feature; that used only Monk levels to determine the stunning DC, but the Monk did not need the Stunning Fist feat to attempt to stun foes. The Epic Level Handbook treatment of the Epic Monk continues this class feature without change. From page 12 of Epic Level Handbook:
Stunning Attack: Use the monk's class level when determining the DC to resist this attack, as normal. From page 208 of 3.5 Dungeon Master's Guide:
Stunning Attack: Use the monk’s class level when determining the DC to resist this attack, as normal. You will note this is identical, despite the 3.5 Monk no longer having a Stunning Attack class feature. This, of course, is confusing. The SRD addition of a conditional clause dependent on having the Stunning Fist feat merely adds to the confusion.

The bottom line is that Stunning Fist behaves as written. You may ignore the "Stunning Attack" entry for the Epic Monk, in both the 3.5 DMG and SRD, entirely; there is no Stunning Attack class feature for the 3.5 Monk and that Epic class progression "update" does not affect any part of the Stunning Fist feat.

A 101 No.

Decisive Strike is an alternative class feature only for the Monk class, as it's in the MONK section of Player's Handbook II's "Chapter 2: Expanded Classes". Also a prestige class feature which adds to effective Monk levels for determining flurry of blows operation will do nothing if you do not already have flurry of blows.

Vaz
2013-08-17, 04:48 PM
Q102
a) Does a Psionic without Darkvision gain it when using Metamorphosis to transform into a form with Darkvision?

b) Is there any way for a Psion to gain as such?

Andezzar
2013-08-17, 04:55 PM
Q 103

If a character with Telling Blow scores a Critical Hit on a Sneak Attack roll, does he add the Sneak Attack damage twice?

rockdeworld
2013-08-17, 04:56 PM
Q102
a) Does a Psionic without Darkvision gain it when using Metamorphosis to transform into a form with Darkvision?

b) Is there any way for a Psion to gain as such?
A 102
a) No. Darkvision is an Ex special quality, explicitly ruled out by Metamorphosis.
b) There's a power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/darkvisionPsionic.htm) for that.

Curmudgeon
2013-08-17, 04:58 PM
A 102 a) No.
You also gain all extraordinary special attacks possessed by the form (such as constrict, improved grab, and poison) but do not gain the extraordinary special qualities possessed by the new form (such as blindsense, fast healing, regeneration, and scent) or any supernatural, psionic, or spell-like abilities.
Darkvision

Darkvision is the extraordinary ability to see with no light source at all, out to a range specified for the creature.

A 102 b) additional

Metamorphosis, Greater (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/metamorphosisGreater.htm) also provides this capability.

A 103 No.

You also don't add sneak attack three times if you're

flanking the foe,
the foe is denied their DEX bonus to AC, and
you score a critical hit with Telling Blow.
You either enable sneak attack damage or you don't. Telling Blow provides another way to enable sneak attack.

Gnaritas
2013-08-17, 05:45 PM
Q104

[D&D 3.5, Magic of Incarnanum]

When using the Incarnum/Magic-transparency. What exactly does Spell Resistance apply to and why?

- Claw Attacks from Landshark Boots
- Manticore Spikes from Manticore Belt
- Fire damage from Mantle of Fire
- Frost attacks from Frost Helm

I thought it would apply to all of them, but i am not sure....

TuggyNE
2013-08-17, 06:23 PM
A 95 A blinking creature is ethereal for the duration of the spell (not just the 50% of the time they're actually on the Ethereal Plane), and thus not affected by Dimensional Lock.

A95 dispute: The spell text belies this.
Likewise, your own attacks have a 20% miss chance, since you sometimes go ethereal just as you are about to strike.[…]Your own spells have a 20% chance to activate just as you go ethereal, in which case they typically do not affect the Material Plane.[…]You take only half damage from falling, since you fall only while you are material.

It's quite plain that you are only ethereal 50% of the time; therefore, dimensional lock has the usual 50% chance of affecting you while you're on the Material Plane.

Sith_Happens
2013-08-17, 10:19 PM
A 94 No. You cannot succeed on a ranged touch attack across planar boundaries; another plane is effectively its own universe with its own natural laws.

And this is not affected by

Gaze effects and abjurations also extend from the Material Plane to the Ethereal Plane.

?

2gig
2013-08-17, 11:25 PM
Q 105
Does Miser with Magic (Kingdoms of Kalamar Player's Guide) effectively allow Level-0 spells to be cast at-will (assuming the caster succeeds on the DC10 Spellcraft check)?

Q 106
Do Miser with Magic and Sanctum Spell combined effectively allow Level-0 and Level-1 spells to be cast at-will (again assuming the trivial check is successful)?

mattie_p
2013-08-17, 11:28 PM
Q 105
Does Miser with Magic (Kingdoms of Kalamar Player's Guide) effectively allow Level-0 spells to be cast at-will (assuming the caster succeeds on the DC10 Spellcraft check)?

Q 106
Do Miser with Magic and Sanctum Spell combined effectively allow Level-0 and Level-1 spells to be cast at-will (again assuming the trivial check is successful)?

While these are great questions, Kingdoms of Kalamar is not considered 3.5 D&D material, despite any imprint you might see. Please open a new thread to discuss these questions.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-08-18, 12:52 AM
While these are great questions, Kingdoms of Kalamar is not considered 3.5 D&D material, despite any imprint you might see. Please open a new thread to discuss these questions.

Q 107

Why isn't the kingdoms of kalamar player's guide considered 3.5 material?

I thought unupdated material was OK, Or does it have to do with it being produced by a 3rd party even though it has the D&D plaque on the front an the official WotC licensed product seal on the inside?

erok0809
2013-08-18, 02:11 AM
Q108

Does wings of cover waste the opponent's action? Or are they able to change their choice of action after I've cast the spell, even though that doesn't really make logical sense, since I wouldn't actually cast the spell until I knew something dangerous was about to hit me?

Andezzar
2013-08-18, 03:59 AM
Q 109

a) If you have an enhanced INT score (item, spell etc.) while you level up in rogue and take the skill mastery class feature, can you select more than 3+your natural INT modifier skills on which you can take 10 regardless of circumstances?

b) If your INT modifier later changes, does the number of skills eligible for taking 10 change?

Q 110

If an undead character cast Undetectable alignment on himself, would he still show up when someone uses detect evil?

Q 111

If a non-monk character has Improved Unarmed Strike and two claws, what is his attack routine?

Q 112

Are there other items that improve unarmed strikes and natural attacks besides the amulet of mighty fists and the necklace of natural attacks?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-18, 05:07 AM
Re: A 94
And this is not affected by

Etherealness
Gaze effects and abjurations also extend from the Material Plane to the Ethereal Plane.?
No, it's not. If you could initiate the spell, an Abjuration effect could also extend to the Ethereal Plane. However, Dimensional Anchor's effect is conditional upon you succeeding with a ranged touch attack, and rays always are subject to line of effect rules as for a ranged weapon. There is no line of effect from the Material Plane to the Ethereal Plane and therefore you're not allowed by the RAW to make the attack; the spell will necessarily fail.
Effect: Ray

A green ray springs from your outstretched hand. You must make a ranged touch attack to hit the target.
Ray

Some effects are rays. You aim a ray as if using a ranged weapon, though typically you make a ranged touch attack rather than a normal ranged attack. As with a ranged weapon, you can fire into the dark or at an invisible creature and hope you hit something. You don’t have to see the creature you’re trying to hit, as you do with a targeted spell. Intervening creatures and obstacles, however, can block your line of sight or provide cover for the creature you’re aiming at.
Line of Effect

A line of effect is a straight, unblocked path that indicates what a spell can affect. A line of effect is canceled by a solid barrier. It’s like line of sight for ranged weapons, except that it’s not blocked by fog, darkness, and other factors that limit normal sight.

You must have a clear line of effect to any target that you cast a spell on or to any space in which you wish to create an effect. You must have a clear line of effect to the point of origin of any spell you cast.
Total Cover

If you don’t have line of effect to your target he is considered to have total cover from you. You can’t make an attack against a target that has total cover.

A 107

Kingdoms of Kalamar was licensed as a product derived from D&D 3.0, not D&D 3.5. That license has since expired.

A 108 No.

The spell explains exactly what your opponent's options are:
Your foe’s first attack in this round cannot be made and is wasted against you, though he could decide to take any other action, including choosing to attack one of your allies instead, or take a full attack action that grants him additional melee attacks against you in this round (if your foe is of high enough level to have additional attacks). Once you take your immediate action to cast the spell, you're done and the opponent is free to choose any course based on the updated situation after your Wings of Cover come into place. D&D has very few situations where a character must declare their actions and then follow through with that stated plan; instead, characters are free to take any legal actions available to them when it's their turn.

A 109 a) Yes.

Skill Mastery's number of mastered skills is dependent on your INT modifier at the time you select this Rogue special ability. There are no special rule provisos about how that INT modifier is achieved. Do note, however, that there is also no time to "prepare" for any part of the level advancement sequence (see Player's Handbook on pages 58-59); your INT mod is whatever it is at the time the DM awards the XP needed for the character to go up a level, including any transient bonuses or penalties.

A 109 b) No.

Skill Mastery comes into effect once only, at step 9. Class Features of the level advancement sequence. The only way this number can ever change is if you select Skill Mastery again; any later INT alterations have no effect on the skills you have already mastered.

A 110 Yes.

Detect Evil detects Evil alignments, but that's not all it does. It also detects Undead and Clerics of Evil deities without regard to their own alignments. Undetectable Alignment would only bypass the alignment detection part of the spell. An Evil Undead Cleric worshiping an Evil deity would need to bypass three detection mechanisms to avoid having their aura singled out by this spell. An Undead, even if of Good alignment (for example, a character with the Necropolitan template) would still show up to Detect Evil, as would an Undead whose alignment was undetectable.

A 111

The character can attack with a single manufactured weapon or unarmed strike as a standard action. No natural weapon attacks would be allowed in this case.
The character can make a full attack with any combination of unarmed strikes and/or manufactured weapon attacks. The claws could be added as secondary natural attacks, with a -5 penalty to each natural weapon attack.
If the character has claws as a primary attack, they could attack with only their claws, without the secondary attack penalties; no manufactured weapon attacks would be allowed. Most PCs do not have any primary natural attacks, so this is an unlikely attack possibility.

Andezzar
2013-08-18, 05:46 AM
Q 113 follow up to A 111

I'm thinking about a draconic human who takes the Improved Unarmed Strike Feat. So would his Full Attack be:
-0 Unarmed strike, -5 Claw, -5 claw or does he have to choose whether to use the claws or the Unarmed Strike?

Khedrac
2013-08-18, 05:59 AM
A 113
Yes it would and No he doesn't - Unarmed Strike does not require any specific part of the body to use - it can be a kick, a headbutt or a punch or elbow strike. If you have Magic Fang cast on a part of the body (or Greater MF for a bonus of more than +1) then you need to use that part of the body to get the bonus, so you could not get both a claw at +1 and the unarmed strike at +1 from a single casting of Magic Fang.

Equally the part of the body must be free to use - so if using both hands to carry a box you are not making either claw attacks or punch unarmed strikes.

Also when you start using the odder parts of the body for unarmed strikes them DM may impose reach limitations on them though this is dubious by RAW. One's Natural Reach is defined for weapons and what? - hands (punches), feet (kicks) yes, but headbutts? - a human does not naturally have a bite so it is also dubious to argue that a headbutt has any reach... I think anything of this sort is automatically into Houserule territory, but in the absence of any rules to cover it that's all there is.

Urpriest
2013-08-18, 07:51 AM
A 100 Yes.

You changed opinion on this over the course of a day. Clearly it deserves more than a one-word answer. If you could briefly elucidate the cause for your change in ruling that would be very enlightening.

ajfonty
2013-08-18, 01:02 PM
Q114

If a wizard creates a plane (perhaps with a spell like Genesis), what happens if a character/NPC ventures off the edge of it?

In this specific case, the plane is an underground dungeon, and the premise is that an NPC tunneled his way to the edge with a disintegrate/passwall spell.

Urpriest
2013-08-18, 02:02 PM
Q114

If a wizard creates a plane (perhaps with a spell like Genesis), what happens if a character/NPC ventures off the edge of it?

In this specific case, the plane is an underground dungeon, and the premise is that an NPC tunneled his way to the edge with a disintegrate/passwall spell.

A114

Planar boundaries are specified by the creator, and are described here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/planes.htm#shapeandSize)

Curmudgeon
2013-08-18, 02:26 PM
You changed opinion on this over the course of a day. Clearly it deserves more than a one-word answer. If you could briefly elucidate the cause for your change in ruling that would be very enlightening.
Frankly, I don't know what you're referring to.

kkplx
2013-08-18, 02:51 PM
Q 115

If a character takes the Item Familiar Feat at level 3 (or 6), does he have to have a magic item to make his familiar at hand, or can he do so at any time after selecting the feat?

Urpriest
2013-08-18, 04:21 PM
Frankly, I don't know what you're referring to.

I thought I had remembered that you had previously said No on that particular question. Evidently you had edited another part of the post instead.

kkplx
2013-08-18, 05:56 PM
Q 83

If a Dragon had both the Flame of the Forge Sovereign Archetype and a Class Level in Artificer, would he effectively be able to craft items at Artificer Level +4? Especially since that Archetype is clearly extremely close to the Artificer class.

Repost. Does it work as I put it or would it mean you can craft as either Sorc+2 or Artificer +2?

Codyage
2013-08-18, 07:54 PM
Q 116

Does a Rakshasa (The lion people things from the Monster Manual) keep the 7 levels of Sorcerer casting, even if he has his levels of Outsider drained or lost? Such as by a vampire or coming back to life.

Basically I want to know, if the character loses the sorcerer casting or not if he loses a level.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2013-08-19, 04:50 AM
Q 117

If a psion manifests synchronicity and has a psicrystal, does the psicrystal also get a readied action due to shared powers? Does it have to be the same readied action? If yes, what if the psion augments synchronicity so that he doesn't have to specify an action?

ksbsnowowl
2013-08-19, 08:54 AM
Q 118: The spell Decastave from Unapproachable East makes a quarterstaff of force that can be used to make touch attacks for 1d6 damage.

Do you get your Strength bonus to damage? Can you Power Attack with it?

NeoPhoenix0
2013-08-19, 10:01 AM
A 118: Yes

If it was a weapon like spell, the answer would be no. It isn't a weapon like spell, instead the spell conjures a quarterstaff. Unless otherwise stated it acts like a quarterstaff.

Vaz
2013-08-19, 10:44 AM
Q119
What is the Knowledge Check DC to identify if somethings type is a particular type? Does this fall under the most basic application of DC10+HD, or Simple/Basic Question?

Urpriest
2013-08-19, 10:45 AM
Q 116

Does a Rakshasa (The lion people things from the Monster Manual) keep the 7 levels of Sorcerer casting, even if he has his levels of Outsider drained or lost? Such as by a vampire or coming back to life.

Basically I want to know, if the character loses the sorcerer casting or not if he loses a level.

A 116

A Rakshasa's Sorceror casting is a special ability of the race, and is not connected to its hit dice any more than its ability scores or DR.

Andezzar
2013-08-19, 10:56 AM
Q 120

If a character attacks a Remorhaz with a melee weapon, who gets to make the saving throw, the character or the weapon.

Q 121

What is the saving throw bonus of a magical non-intelligent weapon?

mattie_p
2013-08-19, 11:32 AM
A 121: It depends on the item's caster level. From Damaging Magic Items (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#damagingMagicItems):

A magic item’s saving throw bonus equals 2 + one-half its caster level (round down). The only exceptions to this are intelligent magic items, which make Will saves based on their own Wisdom scores.

2gig
2013-08-19, 12:03 PM
Q 122

If I have the metamagic feats Extend Spell and Fell Drain, and I take Easy Metamagic for both of these feats, can I cast Extended, Fell Drain spells at only +1 Spell Level? Would it work the same way with Halruaan Elder's Adroit Casting instead of Easy Metamagic?

Q 123

If I were to apply both Easy Metamagic and Adroit Casting to Extend Spell (if that's even allowed), but neither to Fell Drain, would I be able to cast Extended, Fell Drain spells only +1 Spell Level?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-19, 01:02 PM
A 119

The only way to determine if something is of a particular type is to succeed at a Knowledge (<whatever>) check for that particular creature. There is no assigned priority to any bit of information in a creature's entry, so the sole positive option which will reliably produce the creature's type is by having such a high Knowledge (<whatever>) check that you would elucidate all bits of information about any creature of the associated type(s) regardless of their number of hit dice. A negative option would also possibly work: leave all the Knowledge skills pertaining to other creature types untrained, so it is impossible to succeed at identifying anything. (The check is always 10 + the monster’s HD, so all creature checks are higher than the maximum of DC 10 allowed for any untrained check.) Thus, any success (any bit of useful information) means that it's a creature type associated with a trained Knowledge (<whichever>) skill. Two of these skills (Knowledge (local) and (Knowledge (religion) are each associated with a single creature type. If you train just one of them and have any success at all, you would know any identified creature would always be Humanoid or Undead (respectively).

A 120

Use whichever save is higher: the wielder's or the magic weapon's. (Nonmagical weapons never have their own saves.)
Saving Throws

Nonmagical, unattended items never make saving throws. They are considered to have failed their saving throws, so they always are affected by spells. An item attended by a character (being grasped, touched, or worn) makes saving throws as the character (that is, using the character’s saving throw bonus).

Magic items always get saving throws. A magic item’s Fortitude, Reflex, and Will save bonuses are equal to 2 + one-half its caster level. An attended magic item either makes saving throws as its owner or uses its own saving throw bonus, whichever is better.

Jon_Dahl
2013-08-20, 02:40 AM
Q 124

A lizardman fighter 1 has the Improved Unarmed Strike feat. He kicks as the primary attack and does two claw attacks and bites as secondary attacks.
Is this possible?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-20, 03:39 AM
A 124 Yes.

That's all possible with a full attack for this ECL 4 character.

Jon_Dahl
2013-08-20, 06:38 AM
Thank you again, Curmudgeon, for your outstanding help!

Q 125a

Does attacking (standard attack only) with Fire Lash (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/pyrokineticist.htm#fireLash) (ps) provoke AoO?

Q 125b

Do you get bonus damage from Str when you wield Fire Lash?

Edit:
Q 125c
If you need a concentration check to fashion Fire Lash (a move action psi-like ability), what is the concentration check DC?

PaintByBlood
2013-08-20, 07:57 AM
A 125a Yes. Ranged touch attacks provoke attacks of opportunity, unless stated otherwise by the effect or weapon that grants the attack. (Attacks with standard whips also do this, though they are melee weapons with reach.)

A 125b No. Ranged attacks do not add bonus Strength damage, unless stated otherwise by the effect or weapon that grants the attack.

A 125c No Concentration check is needed to fashion to Fire Lash. Further, nothing indicates that you may make a Concentration check to fashion the Fire Lash defensively - but you also do not need to make one if you take damage.
EDIT: See post #220, below.

kkplx
2013-08-20, 02:15 PM
Q 126

I am a little confused as to whether casting a spell from a Scroll is always a Standard action (or less), or if it takes the same time as the original spell.

The source of my confusion is the DMG, Page 213 (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B45nupMN7PeAT2JWLVBBUWlrWWM/edit?usp=sharing).

"Activating a magic item is a standard action unless the item description indicates otherwise. However, the casting time of a spell is the time required to activate the same power in an item, whether it’s a scroll, a wand, or a pair of boots, unless the item description specifically states otherwise."

"Spell Completion: This is the activation method for scrolls.[...] Activating a spell completion item is a standard action and provokes attacks of opportunity exactly as casting a spell does."

Reading the entire thing I would deduct that casting from any scroll is a standard action - and the "as a spell does" refers only to AoO.

Q 126.5

If scrolls function the way I laid out, would a scroll with a Quickened Spell or one with a standard casting time of swift/free still automatically take a standard action?

PaintByBlood
2013-08-20, 02:52 PM
A 126 Using a spell completion item like a scroll takes the amount of time it takes to cast the spell, whether that is a swift action, a standard action, a full-round action, or something else.
I could not find a place in the DMG, or in the SRD, that clearly stated this (though a WotC article claims as much), but it is clearly laid out in the Rules Compendium on page 85.

TuggyNE
2013-08-20, 11:05 PM
A 125a Yes. Ranged touch attacks provoke attacks of opportunity, unless stated otherwise by the effect or weapon that grants the attack. (Attacks with standard whips also do this, though they are melee weapons with reach.)

A 125b No. Ranged attacks do not add bonus Strength damage, unless stated otherwise by the effect or weapon that grants the attack.

A125a, b additional: Note that whips used to be ranged attacks.

A 125c No Concentration check is needed to fashion to Fire Lash. Further, nothing indicates that you may make a Concentration check to fashion the Fire Lash defensively - but you also do not need to make one if you take damage.

A125c correction: As a psi-like ability, manifesting a fire lash provokes AoOs and requires concentration, which includes the ability to manifest defensively and the need to make Concentration checks if damaged or otherwise distracted.

PaintByBlood
2013-08-20, 11:57 PM
[B]A125c correction: As a psi-like ability, manifesting a fire lash provokes AoOs and requires concentration, which includes the ability to manifest defensively and the need to make Concentration checks if damaged or otherwise distracted.

Oh, quite right. The ability type completely slipped my mind.

One of my own:
Q 127 When a ToB martial adept has Vital Recovery and recovers their maneuvers in an encounter, are they permitted to not trigger the effect of Vital Recovery so it may be used later in the encounter?

NeoPhoenix0
2013-08-21, 12:41 AM
A 127

You can only activate it when you recover a maneuver, but you don't have to use it. You could for example choose to not heal when you recover a maneuver so you can heal when you recover a maneuver latter in the encounter.

Edit: I read the feat wrong. The first time you recover maneuvers in an encounter you must activate this feat, because it says when you recover one or more maneuvers you heal. It does not have voluntary language.

ksbsnowowl
2013-08-21, 03:51 PM
Q 128: A Ranger with Favored Enemy (Dragons) fights a Half-Fiend Dragon, which has the type: Outsider (Augmented dragon).

Does his Favored Enemy bonus apply?

animewatcha
2013-08-21, 05:28 PM
Q 129

Aside from arcane heirophant, are the only classes that advance familiar level ability thinger the arcane base classes or does what determines its 'effective level' for purposes of familiar abilities?

Fax Celestis
2013-08-21, 05:43 PM
A128 No. The Augmented subtype is there to show DMs how its statistics were calculated, but is otherwise completely useless. Also note that the Half-Fiend template does not apply the Augmented subtype to the resultant creature: look at the sample creatures in the MM and in this article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a). In fact, the Augmented subtype does not appear in the Monster Manual at all.

Chronos
2013-08-21, 06:39 PM
A 129:

Alienist (Complete Arcane) also advances the familiar, off the top of my head. Also note that Arcane Heirophant does not, in fact, advance your familiar, and even requires you to give up your familiar. It then grants some but not all of the familiar abilities to your animal companion.

ksbsnowowl
2013-08-21, 08:40 PM
Q 130: Can Spirit Shaman cast Sanctified spells?

Spellcasters prepare sanctified spells just as they do regular spells, and casters who do not prepare spells (including sorcerers and bards) cannot make use of them except from a scroll. Evil characters cannot cast sanctified spells, including ones cast from magic items.

Fax Celestis
2013-08-21, 08:49 PM
A130 As long as the spirit shaman prepares it as a sanctified spell, yes.

ksbsnowowl
2013-08-21, 09:37 PM
A130 As long as the spirit shaman prepares it as a sanctified spell, yes.

No, I'm not talking about the metamagic feat (you are thinking of Purify Spell). I'm talking about the spells that don't actually have any class listed with the level [ie - it is a Sanctified 3 spell, not a Cleric 3 spell], and often do ability damage as one of the components.

Fax Celestis
2013-08-21, 10:07 PM
Spirit shamans prepare spells to cast spontaneously from.

123456789blaaa
2013-08-21, 10:08 PM
Q 131

Can a dragon sneak attack with its breath weapon? The ability says a characters sneak attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC. Using a breath weapon is an attack isn't it?

ksbsnowowl
2013-08-21, 10:12 PM
Q 131

Can a dragon sneak attack with its breath weapon? The ability says a characters sneak attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC. Using a breath weapon is an attack isn't it?

Sneak attack requires an attack roll.

mattie_p
2013-08-21, 10:24 PM
A 130: No.

Spirit shamans do not prepare spells. From Complete Divine:

A spirit shaman casts divine spells from the druid spell list. She can cast any spell she has retrieved, much like a bard or sorcerer can cast any spell she knows without preparing it ahead of time.

According to BoED:

Spellcasters prepare sanctified spells just as they do regular spells, and casters who do not prepare spells (including sorcerers and bards) cannot make use of them except from a scroll.

As a side note, spirit shamans have no list of spells known. The entire druid spell list is available for them daily, but they must retrieve the spells for each day off that list. The number they can retrieve daily is limited, much as the sorcerer or bard spells known list is limited.

Duke of Urrel
2013-08-21, 10:27 PM
Q 132a

If you use any spell with the word "Detect" in its name to examine an object that carries the Magic Aura spell, you get no saving throw to disbelieve the illusion. Is this correct?

Q 132b

If you use any other spell to examine an object that carries the Magic Aura spell, you get a Will save to disbelieve the illusion. Is this correct?

Q 133

Are any divinations powerful enough to defeat the Magic Aura spell without the need to make a Will save, or is this always required?

A_S
2013-08-21, 11:45 PM
Q 134

A Swiftblade 9 gives up their bonus attack from Haste in exchange for their bonus standard action. If they were to use a weapon with the Speed enhancement (which grants an extra attack that does not stack with Haste), would they get it back?

DarkSonic1337
2013-08-22, 12:57 AM
Q 135
Is there a spell that will make my next attack threaten a critical?

123456789blaaa
2013-08-22, 01:49 AM
Sneak attack requires an attack roll.

I'm looking at the ability and all I see is that it says it requires an attack. Unless I've missed a sentence saying so, I don't know of any line which states that an "attack" in dnd requires an attack roll.

Curmudgeon
2013-08-22, 02:20 AM
Re: A 131
I'm looking at the ability and all I see is that it says it requires an attack. Unless I've missed a sentence saying so, I don't know of any line which states that an "attack" in dnd requires an attack roll.
Apparently you missed looking up the definition in the Glossary (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_attack&alpha=):
attack

Any of numerous actions intended to harm, disable, or neutralize an opponent. The outcome of an attack is determined by an attack roll. ksbsnowowl's answer is correct.

geekintheground
2013-08-22, 04:04 AM
Q 136

what size is a raging half-minotaur goliath barbarian treated as?

Curmudgeon
2013-08-22, 04:06 AM
A 136 Large.

unseenmage
2013-08-22, 08:07 AM
Q137

Say there is a Simulacrum or Ice Assassin of a Golem then I use the Awaken Construct spell on it. Who controls the Simulacrum or Ice Assassin; the original caster or is it free-willed now?

Q138

As above only the Rod of Construct Control (AaEG) in place of the Awaken Construct spell.

The Viscount
2013-08-22, 03:50 PM
Q 139

Can Legacy Champion be used to advance a racial template class?

AttilaTheGeek
2013-08-23, 12:24 AM
Q 320

Can a warlock's Eldritch Blast critically hit?

Andezzar
2013-08-23, 12:44 AM
A 320

Yes, it is an attack, it requires an attack roll and it deals damage. Since nothing else is mentioned its crit range is 20/x2

Curmudgeon
2013-08-23, 12:46 AM
A 137 N/A.

A simulacrum has no ability to become more powerful.
An ice assassin has no ability to become more powerful; it cannot increase its level or abilities. The specific limits built into these spells mean that Awaken Construct will not function; giving the Construct an Intelligence score in place of a nonability ("—") would make it more powerful.

A 138 N/A.

See above.

A 139 Yes.

Assuming your racial class still has levels you haven't yet attained, Legacy Champion's "+1 level of existing class features" will advance those class features.

Q 140

Can a warlock's Eldritch Blast critically hit?

A 140 Yes.

From page 71 of Complete Arcane:
(The warlock’s eldritch blast is weaponlike.) Weaponlike spells and Spell-like abilities (those that require an attack roll and deal damage) threaten a critical hit on a natural 20 and deal double damage if the critical is confirmed.

jaydubs
2013-08-23, 01:07 AM
Q140

When a skill says you need X ranks in something, does that include your ability score modifiers?

In particular, I'm looking at balance. Does flat footed apply to monsters with extremely high dex scores but no actual points in the balance skill, if you can make them have to balance on a surface?

Andezzar
2013-08-23, 01:11 AM
A 141

Q140

When a skill says you need X ranks in something, does that include your ability score modifiers?

In particular, I'm looking at balance. Does flat footed apply to monsters with extremely high dex scores but no actual points in the balance skill, if you can make them have to balance on a surface?It requires ranks, not a bonus of a certain amount. So the ability modifier is irrelevant. A character with DEX 1 and 5 ranks in balance would not be flatfooted on slippery terrain.

Curmudgeon
2013-08-23, 01:14 AM
Q141

A 141 No.

Skill modifiers are any contributors to your total skill check. Skill ranks are only the skill modifiers you gain directly by paying skill points. When a requirement is expressed in terms of skill ranks, no other skill modifiers apply.

@Andezzar: Your numbers are off.

DarkSonic1337
2013-08-23, 04:40 AM
Q142

Is there a way for a wizard to gain armor proficiency without losing caster levels?

mattie_p
2013-08-23, 07:03 AM
A 142: Yes. Simply take the armor proficiency feats. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#armorProficiencyLight) Do note that arcane spell failure will still apply. (I'm assuming you mean without losing caster levels. It can be done with losing caster levels by multiclassing.)

There are other ways as well. I recommend you open a new thread to discuss your options (as they are numerous) and your true intent, as the "best" way to get armor proficiency will call for opinion and is outside the scope of the thread. Or start with looking at any thread that says "gish."