PDA

View Full Version : The Dashing Swordsman

Hario
2006-12-16, 12:43 AM
In 390 of OoTS Elan gets a prestige class called the "Dashing Swordsman" Which Sourcebook is it in? I'm just curious because I've always wanted to play a well rounded swashbuckler with good charisma. If its not maybe its a PrC Rich just though up. In any case thanks for looking!

Rama_Lei
2006-12-16, 12:44 AM
I'm guessing it doesn't exist.

Collin152
2006-12-16, 12:51 AM
Oh, Im sure its a joke on some obscure prestige class that is vaguely similar.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-12-16, 01:00 AM
Nothing comes to mind, although a couple of feats (Battle Dancer, PHB2; Snowflake Wardance, Frostburn) spring to mind as adding CHA to damage.

I'd assume it's a completely fictitious class to get around copyright issues, since most Prestige Classes (with a few exceptions (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/classes.htm)) are non-Open Gaming Content.

Hario
2006-12-16, 01:03 AM
Nothing comes to mind, although a couple of feats (Battle Dancer, PHB2; Snowflake Wardance, Frostburn) spring to mind as adding CHA to damage.

I'd assume it's a completely fictitious class to get around copyright issues, since most Prestige Classes (with a few exceptions (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/classes.htm)) are non-Open Gaming Content.

I think its a homebrew take on the swashbuckler seeing as we all know that elans best stat is Charisma and not Intelligence, I think Cha to Damage is pretty powerful especially if you can take swashbuckler AND Dashing Swordsman for extra damage onto that, though it will never fully compete for the Frenzied Beserker/Leap attack/Shocktroopers combo.

bosssmiley
2006-12-16, 01:04 AM
It's mentioned as a third party sourcebook. Could be from anywhere (if it even exists outside the imagination of TheGiant).
Try "Swashbuckling Adventures" (the d20 version of "7th Sea").

Thomas
2006-12-16, 01:39 AM
Gee, total shot in the dark, but maybe Rich made it up on the spot as a bit of a joke?

Folie
2006-12-16, 01:54 AM
Well, he better give us the rules for it, that's all I have to say!

AtomicKitKat
2006-12-16, 02:41 AM
Well, he better give us the rules for it, that's all I have to say!

You never know. He could very well be hammering out the last details before it shows up to your left.

Thomas
2006-12-16, 05:18 AM
Not exactly difficult to make one of your own. A ton of classes get Int or Dex to damage (on top of Str, not instead of).

Tokiko Mima
2006-12-16, 05:23 AM
It's probably going to have a 'convert Bard levels to Dashing Swordsman' clause as well ala Ronin for Samurai, or Blackguard for Paladin levels. Otherwise there wouldn't be a tremendous change in Elans fighting ability with only a single level.

JaronK
2006-12-16, 05:53 AM
Arcane Duelist adds charisma to AC at level 2, if that helps...

JaronK

Closet_Skeleton
2006-12-16, 06:03 AM
Arcane Duelist adds charisma to AC at level 2, if that helps...

JaronK

Where is that class exactly? It was in the NWN Players Resource Consortium I haven't seen the original.

Thomas
2006-12-16, 06:25 AM
Arcane Duelist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030224a).

Skydiving_Ninja
2006-12-16, 08:17 AM
I think Rich just took the duelist prestige class and replaced the INT bonus with CHA bonus. I think thats what he said in the discussion thread.

Either way, I can't wait to see it!

Kaerou
2006-12-16, 08:32 AM
He said that he made it up for the comic.

I hope he makes it and adds it to the left though!

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2006-12-16, 08:52 AM
Here is what he said:

It is an invention of mine, though I won't rule out that there might be some similar class in a third-party sourcebook somewhere, since I have hardly read all such books that have come out since the advent of Third Edition. Basically, the Duelist PrC wasn't good enough because it used Intelligence too much to be useful to Elan, so I invented one more appropriate.

clarkvalentine
2006-12-16, 12:36 PM
The Game of Thrones OGL game (which I'm running in a FTF campaign), by default, doesn't add strength to any melee attacks. You just use your BAB plus any bonuses from feats or weapon enhancements. There are five feats that allow you to add your Str, Dex, Int, Wis, or Cha bonus to hit with a particular weapon. This allows many different types of characters to be effective combatants. Strength still adds to damage, so it does help, but add in that you don't need to cause much damage to take someone out in that rule set and you don't need high Str to be an effective combatant.

It's not damage, but it's a similar idea.

Dakmor
2007-04-12, 05:02 PM
It should have been more than obvious that the Dashing Swordsman was a Burlew-ism; if it was not, then considering Burlew's sense of humor, Scoundrel would undoubtedly have cited the exact page and book to reference the class. I myself am considering creating a Dashing Swordsman class (as a base, of course, so that I can start it ASAP) for my next escapade(sp?). If anyone else has made a Dashing Swordsman, please, feel free to save me the trouble! :elan:

Fax Celestis
2007-04-12, 05:07 PM
D1 made one already. You can see it here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29882).

asqwasqw
2007-04-12, 09:25 PM
Do you have to use bad puns to be effective?

Hario
2007-04-12, 09:36 PM
Oh god thread necromancy of my own thread! Also this topic was made after the comic the dashing swordsman came into the comic and that was before complete scoundrel