PDA

View Full Version : 3.P Oracle build. Help please.

Vortenger
2013-08-12, 03:13 AM
My DM pulled me aside last week and told me my unseelie fey magic blooded summoner was too much. The group wants me to tank, but the summons were stealing some of the group's thunder. I'm still supposed to provide the tank though. I'd like to try grarrg's famous Oradin, but with a 3.5 twist. All WotC, most Dragon and all of PFSRD are open game. 3.5 35 pt. buy for stats, one flaw, two traits. Campaign runs from 1-16ish (Jade Regent) and I'll be bringing the new guy in at level 4.

I was thinking: Oracle 7/Prestige Paladin 3/Fist of Raziel 5-7 (End of Campaign)

Half Elf Lore Oracle 1-7- revelations are Sidestep Secret (Cha replaces Dex for AC and Refl.), Lore Keeper (Cha replaces Int for knowledge), and Channel (from Life mystery, obtained via Strange Revelation feat at 7).
Prestige Paladin 3 (8-10)- grants +Cha to saves, continues channel grants a wimpy Lay on Hands and a wimpy mount (beats walking), some minor tanking abilities and full BAB. Loses a CL but is still 1 ahead of a regular oradin
Fist of Raziel for the rest (11-16)- fast tracks Smite Evil (way cooler in Pathfinder) uses and stacks with paladin, also gives full BAB and Magic Circle vs. Evil for 1 CL, putting us in line with a regular oradin.

Feats: grab Noble Scion (Cha replaces Dex for Initiative) and Weapon Trickery (Cha to hit w/ 1 handed weapon instead of strength, available through bluff trait) at level 1. Power Attack at 3, Mounted Combat at 5, Strange Revelation:Channel at 7, Servant of the Heavens at 9, Eldritch Heritage:Arcane at 11, and I can't decide between knowledge devotion or force of personality for 13 and 15. Extra Smite if 17 is achieved, maybe?

When this build reaches its zenith at level 15 its boasting the following features: Cha becomes the active stat for AC, Reflex, To-Hit, Will Sves vs Mind Affecting, Knowledge checks (granting further hit and damage bonuses),and gives a bonus to all saves. Against smite target add +Cha to hit again and Cha+2d6+11 to damage as a free combat long effect. Missing 2 levels of spells known but thanks to a trait has a virtual practised spellcaster effect for full CL. Also, have a cosmo-whatever or hummingbird familiar for a free +4 to init, 10th level Channel, and 6th level Lay on Hands (for easy heals)

For utility spells grab Guidance of the Avatar and Divine Insight as 2nd lvl spells and Paragon Surge as 3rd to cover almost all skill needs and thanks to Eldritch Heritage instant access to all spells from the cleric and wiz/sorc list. That about covers basic versatility, I think. Otherwise the usual melee divine spells apply.
----------
I think the idea has merit buts its still pretty rough. I'm looking to see if anyone can help me polish it up. I don't have any divine feats or metamagic feats, but any would cost Cha synergy. I'm also wondering how liberally that half elves count as human s and elves for all affects relating to race clause is. Can a half elf take human preferred class options? That human 1 spell known per level of oracle feature looks mighty tasty even if the spells are lower level. Note: Its late and I'm tired, so I apologize for poor syntax

Vortenger
2013-08-12, 03:28 AM
I had originally proposed running Tibbit Thrallherd with Thogaturge as my first thrall, and running the barbarian as though it was my character most of the time. The idea had been to see how long the group would take to figure out the character was really the cat 'familiar'. The DM thought the idea was cool, and then read thrallherd. Then he said no. Can't say I blame him.

Aemoh87
2013-08-12, 04:12 AM
My DM pulled me aside last week and told me my unseelie fey magic blooded summoner was too much.

Who would have thought.

Psyren
2013-08-12, 09:04 AM
@ OP: Note that you actually need the Turn Undead feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/turn-undead--final) in PF to gain Turn Undead; merely having Channel Energy isn't enough unless your DM is willing to waive that requirement.

Who would have thought.

Ah ha ha ha ha :smallbiggrin:

Vortenger
2013-08-12, 12:08 PM
Hey now, no need to be snide. At least I didn't start another 'My DM doesn't like my character so how can I screw him over' threads. There's been several in the last few weeks. I always wanted to try a templated character, haven't you? The DM and I discussed the concept pre-play, but my skill-dolon and disposable combat meat made the other characters feel unneeded. Thats ok, we're switching it up amicably. I'd have thought Playgrounders could appreciate that...

@ OP: Note that you actually need the Turn Undead feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/turn-undead--final) in PF to gain Turn Undead; merely having Channel Energy isn't enough unless your DM is willing to waive that requirement.

Ah ha ha ha ha :smallbiggrin:

Thanks for the feedback, Psyren. I had thought that Channel was analog to Turn when porting 3.5 forward into PF. It is for the purpose of using and taking divine feats (I think?) and I assumed it must work for class qualification as well. I take it that is not the case? I haven't actually seen a conversion page to explain it completely. That would make this build even more feat starved. Darn, I had hoped to squeeze in a bit more Cha synergy. Are any prestige classes better for Cha synergy than Fist of Raziel? Smite is really good in PF but certainly not mandatory. I know of Agent of the Grave, but want to stay on the good alignment spectrum.

Psyren
2013-08-12, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Psyren. I had thought that Channel was analog to Turn when porting 3.5 forward into PF. It is for the purpose of using and taking divine feats (I think?) and I assumed it must work for class qualification as well. I take it that is not the case? I haven't actually seen a conversion page to explain it completely. That would make this build even more feat starved. Darn, I had hoped to squeeze in a bit more Cha synergy. Are any prestige classes better for Cha synergy than Fist of Raziel? Smite is really good in PF but certainly not mandatory. I know of Agent of the Grave, but want to stay on the good alignment spectrum.

Because there is a Turn Undead in PF, requirements that say "Turn Undead" (e.g. like the one on the Prestige Paladin) are still there. Your DM can overlook this if he wants to, certainly, I was just giving you a heads up. Considering that PF gives more feats than 3.5, it's a small tax to pay.

Vortenger
2013-08-12, 04:19 PM
Because there is a Turn Undead in PF, requirements that say "Turn Undead" (e.g. like the one on the Prestige Paladin) are still there. Your DM can overlook this if he wants to, certainly, I was just giving you a heads up. Considering that PF gives more feats than 3.5, it's a small tax to pay.

I was aware of the feat,and I do appreciate the heads up, I had simply thought the conversion to PF obviated the need for turn undead (feat) for most build choices. I guess not. The wording on the conversion guide implies that Channel replaces Turn undead as a class feature and for feat purposes (ie. extra channeling, divine might). Assuming qualification for prestige seemed a logical leap. I suppose it would at that, if turn undead didn't exist in feat form. :) As it stands it says turning, it means turning.

Thanks for enlightening me.

Also, I dig the new avatar.