PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian tristalt multiclass help

Vixsor Lumin
2013-08-12, 06:43 AM
Hello Playground! Ive been working on a Tristalt build for an upcoming game, and ive decided to play a Barbarian//psion//???

I need to figure out the third side, and thats why im asking you fine people for help :smallsmile: the barbarian is going into frenzied zerker and the psion is going into constructor, so i can use and abuse the Astral construct power armor trick. im having trouble figuring out what to do with my third side.

A few notes!

1. please dont try to talk me out of taking berserker levels. Im taking the precautions and my group is okay with it.

2.LA is going to affect all the sides so filling it up with templates isnt going to work.

3. Ive been considering taking rogue with the fighter feat ACF to get some bonus help in the feat department but it seems like a bit of a waste to me.

4. The DM is pretty accepting but hes shot down a few things that were close to the cheese side of things.

We are starting at level 6 so any Prc's i can start there are open to

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-12, 07:03 AM
Well, cleric goes well with lots of stuff. In this build though, I would nab expansion as a power and go Fighter 7 / Warhulk 10 / X 3 for massive strength.

You also cannot go wrong with wizard 5 / swiftblade 10 / Abjurant champion 5

Jack_Simth
2013-08-12, 07:33 AM
Well, cleric goes well with lots of stuff. In this build though, I would nab expansion as a power and go Fighter 7 / Warhulk 10 / X 3 for massive strength.

You also cannot go wrong with wizard 5 / swiftblade 10 / Abjurant champion 5
Combat casting goes poorly on a rage-based build. Cleric with DMM(Persistent Spell) for pre-battle buffs and post-battle healing makes a hefty amount of sense, though.

BWR
2013-08-12, 07:46 AM
There is no such thing as 'tristalt'. 'Gestalt' is also a poor term for what you actually do, but once chosen it applies to all numbers beyond 1.

Yuki Akuma
2013-08-12, 07:58 AM
There is no such thing as 'tristalt'. 'Gestalt' is also a poor term for what you actually do, but once chosen it applies to all numbers beyond 1.

And yet, you probably knew exactly what he meant the moment you read "tristalt". Don't nitpick.

Radar
2013-08-12, 08:08 AM
What about a Totemist (from Magic of Incarnum)? It could give you a lot of interesting abilities which would synergise well with the Barbarian/Berserker. It is also a CON based class, so it would not force you to max yet another stat. Soulmelding allows for some much needed flexibility and is a fairly balanced mechanic. I never used this class myself, but there are plenty of hanbooks around - like this one (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2943.0). It looks like the Totem Rager PrC would be right up your alley.

visigani
2013-08-12, 08:11 AM
Beguiler.
Gets you tons of skills, skillpoints, melee based special abilities, and has a spell list that compliments shaper rather well.

Greater Invisible Frenzied Barbarian for the win, yo.

Vixsor Lumin
2013-08-12, 08:28 AM
What about a Totemist (from Magic of Incarnum)? It could give you a lot of interesting abilities which would synergise well with the Barbarian/Berserker. It is also a CON based class, so it would not force you to max yet another stat. Soulmelding allows for some much needed flexibility and is a fairly balanced mechanic. I never used this class myself, but there are plenty of hanbooks around - like this one (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2943.0). It looks like the Totem Rager PrC would be right up your alley.
This is an interesting idea. Ive never used incarnum, but it would give me an excuse to crack opent that book. Ive heard good things about totemist so ill definitely look into this.

Beguiler.
Gets you tons of skills, skillpoints, melee based special abilities, and has a spell list that compliments shaper rather well.

Greater Invisible Frenzied Barbarian for the win, yo.

As awesome as that would be, the DM is making me take an 80% spell failure chance for my power armor. arcane casting is not gonna help me out much :smallfrown:

And for the people suggesting cleric we already have one that im gonna tie backstories with.

ordinarily i would love to put war hulk on a barbarian, but with psion mixed in the INT loss would hurt alot.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-12, 08:33 AM
You don't loose int, just access to int skills, and only when you qualify for the class. Be a medium race and use expansion to get large. When large, you qualify for war hulk and can smash and rage. When medium you don't and loose all the drawbacks.

It basically adds +20 str and whirlwind strikes onto your expansion power at the cost of using int based skills when large.

Vixsor Lumin
2013-08-12, 08:38 AM
i like that :smallbiggrin: ill have to see what he thinks of that interpretation, but if he allows it, i would really like that :smallbiggrin:

Alright so conditional warhulk and totemist seem like my best options. Thanks everybody!

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-12, 09:04 AM
Note there is nothing stopping you from going

totemist 7 / warhulk 10 / totemist 3.

Totemist is a class that is very dip friendly. Your caps are based on HD, and your signature meld comes at 2nd level.

EDIT - just another thought - if you took the shapeshift ACF for egoist as your psion levels you qualify for warshaper. Then a cool build becomes...

Totemist 5 / warshaper 4 / War hulk 10 / totemist 1

And while we are stacking on silliness and PRC's go

Psion 5 / crystal master 10 / meditant 5 for another untyped +12 to strength and con, half all day, half on demand. And Dr6/-. And +6 insight to saves and AC.

Jack_Simth
2013-08-12, 05:41 PM
And for the people suggesting cleric we already have one that im gonna tie backstories with.
You're merging three classes, and you have multiple players. There is going to be role overlap regardless.