PDA

View Full Version : Persona Tabletop?

Philemonite
2013-08-12, 08:41 AM
Anyone interested in making a tabletop based on Persona? I have some ideas, I don't want to start a project like this on my own. I hope someone wants to help with mechanics.

Thunderfist12
2013-08-12, 09:50 AM
My friend Trevor is making a Persona tabletop. I'll see if I can get the basics, if it'll help at all.

Ionbound
2013-08-12, 09:57 AM
The main thing I can think of right off the top is to make a clear line between what are the Persona's abilities and what the human can do by themselves.

Philemonite
2013-08-12, 10:10 AM
My friend Trevor is making a Persona tabletop. I'll see if I can get the basics, if it'll help at all.

Any help would be welcome, I'm looking forward to it.:smallwink:

The main thing I can think of right off the top is to make a clear line between what are the Persona's abilities and what the human can do by themselves.

I was thinking about that. The Persona Users can have a skill trees that give various boosts to Personas(Personae), while Persons do the actual fighting. My idea would be not giving Users combat stat, during battle they would basically be ghosts that support their Persona, but they can not be interacted with. That's just one of many ideas, I'm still opened to any suggestion.

Loki_42
2013-08-12, 10:37 AM
I think you could probably do an interest job on it by hacking Apocalypse World, especially with its History Mechanics. I haven't really thought a lot about how to do it yet, though.

ScrambledBrains
2013-08-12, 01:26 PM
I was thinking about that. The Persona Users can have a skill trees that give various boosts to Personas(Personae), while Persons do the actual fighting. My idea would be not giving Users combat stat, during battle they would basically be ghosts that support their Persona, but they can not be interacted with. That's just one of many ideas, I'm still opened to any suggestion.

I would oppose that idea, actually. As someone who's never played Persona 1 or 2, but has played and beaten to the True End(And with all S-Links Maxed.) both 3 and 4, take what I say with a grain of salt, but I've always wanted the system to reflect that it's not just the Persona that are powerful. I mean, picking from only 3, we have an Anti-Shadow Weapon, a boxer, a fencer, and an archer. And it was entirely possible to beat Shadows with not a one of them unleashing their Personae.

Quite frankly, coming from a DnD 3.5 perspective as I do, what I feel a Persona emulating system should be is either a Feat chain(And if emulating 4 more than 3, maybe some form of Flaw should also get mixed in there.), or some Gestalt thing, where one half is any particular class, with the other half being the Persona summoning thing.

Of course, if you wanna go another direction, I'd understand. These are just my ideas and feelings about the concept of a Persona Tabletop. :smallsmile:

Philemonite
2013-08-12, 01:39 PM
Persona Users are powerful, Personas are basically how they channel their power.

Problem with that is that D&D is too complicated, I think it would be easier to make a simple tabletop system than homebrew Persona into 3.5.

I'm leaning towards something like Devil Survivor.

I think you could probably do an interest job on it by hacking Apocalypse World, especially with its History Mechanics. I haven't really thought a lot about how to do it yet, though.

Never heard of it.:smallamused:

Nerd-o-rama
2013-08-12, 01:59 PM
Geist: The Sin-Eaters is heavily influenced by Persona 3 (and Persona in general with the idea of Geists)...but being a (New) World of Darkness game, it's pretty heavily invested in its own fluff.

You can hack it decently with Mutants & Masterminds (with everyone's superpowers deriving from their Persona, whether it's Enhanced Strength or a Lightning Blast), though the rules there are geared more toward a freeform expression of super-abilities than a traditional Japanese RPG set of skills and spells and levels.

Still, you might want to look at one of those two for inspiration.

Grinner
2013-08-12, 08:00 PM
A basic question: What about the series do you want to emulate?

The superpowers? The reliance of those powers upon your relationships? The urban fantasy dungeon-crawling?

Also, unless you're aiming for intensively tactical gameplay, I think most d20 variants are unsuitable. I've never played Mutants & Masterminds though.