PDA

View Full Version : Tristalt generalist: what third class?

qwertyu63
2013-08-12, 09:26 AM
I am making a character around the theme of being halfway decent at everything. It is a tristalt game, and my classes are Factotum//Bard//???

What should I make that third class be?

Yuki Akuma
2013-08-12, 09:32 AM
Rogue, then replace it with Chameleon as early as possible.

Ceaon
2013-08-12, 09:32 AM
I'd say any full BAB class with a good fortitude progression and passive abilities would serve. E.g., barbarian, fighter, maybe crusader or ranger, or even duskblade.
Edit: unless by "half-way decent" you mean "deliberately not the best", in which case... full BAB classes with fortitude still seem the way to go, really.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-12, 09:35 AM
I am going to suggest Duskblade 3 / Spellthief 2 / Chameleon 10 / Abjurant champion 5.

You get more spell options than anything, the ability to use those spells through a melee attack, swift action abjurations, and other cool stuff.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-08-12, 09:59 AM
Something divine? Favored Soul, Spirit Shaman, even Paladin?

EDIT: Oh man, Fax is right. Incarnate all the way-- it's one of the best utility types in the game, and it can load up on passive abilities.

Fax Celestis
2013-08-12, 10:01 AM
My vote's for Incarnate.

Rebel7284
2013-08-12, 10:07 AM
Warblade has nice Int synergy with Factotum and a great chasis.

For best strategic flexibility, wizards are unmatched.

gorfnab
2013-08-12, 01:22 PM
Warblade or Crusader would work nicely. I would suggest on the Bard side going for Sublime Chord to get full casting. Bardic Knack ACF combined with the feat Jack of All Trades could make interesting combo wit Factotum.

Usually for gestalt or tristalt I would suggest going as SAD as possible. For a generalist build I would recommend the following:
Bard // Crusader //Binder
Bard // Crusader // Wilder
Bard // Crusader // Dragon Shaman
Bard // Crusader // Warlock
Factotum // Warblade // Wizard
Factotum // Warblade // Artificer
Factotum // Warblade // Psion

Rebel7284
2013-08-12, 01:31 PM
Warblade or Crusader would work nicely. I would suggest on the Bard side going for Sublime Chord to get full casting. Bardic Knack ACF combined with the feat Jack of All Trades could make interesting combo wit Factotum.

Usually for gestalt or tristalt I would suggest going as SAD as possible. For a generalist build I would recommend the following:
Bard // Crusader //Binder
Bard // Crusader // Wilder
Bard // Crusader // Dragon Shaman
Bard // Crusader // Warlock
Factotum // Warblade // Wizard
Factotum // Warblade // Artificer
Factotum // Warblade // Psion

The bolded are certainly the most powerful options.

I have heard several times the summary to playing gestalt as "Factotum, Warblade, Wizard, pick two!" picking all three (or similar int based tier 1 casting class) should lead to some pretty epic power.