PDA

View Full Version : Where is pompey? (spoiler)

Querzis
2006-12-16, 02:00 AM
He was supposed to guard Elan and Thog, where the hell is he? Maybe he took a break when they escaped but how could he not realize that Thog and Elan were gone in 3 days? The police is probably gonna be after them so even if he dont actually guard the prison, he is gonna know they escaped! Except if he slept 3 days, I just really dont know where he could be and what the hell is he doing.

Angela Christine
2006-12-16, 03:06 AM
He probably wasn't actually watching the jail 24/7, he doesn't seem like he'd be good at staying on task without supervision. He needs to eat, sleep, and study his spell book -- even if he was trying to be diligent he'd need to be away from the jail for at least 10-12 hours a day. More than likely he didn't learn about the escape until the next day, possibly not until after Elan left on the sky ship. If he was really lax and was just checking in every few days, it could have taken even longer for him to hear about the escape.

At that point, how is Pompey supposed to contact Nale? Leaving him behind wasn't part of the grand plan, there was just no way to bring him along in a timely manner. Nale says to "tell him to use a sending scroll if anything happens" but do they even have any sending scrolls left? If so, did they make sure that Pompey possesses one of the sending scrolls? If he doesn't he probably can't buy one anywhere in town, because they already bought every Sending scroll in town back in #258, and those things take a while to restock. Pompey may legitimately have no way to contact Nale.

Alternately, like many an evil lackey he doesn't want to be the one who delivers bad news. Evil guys have a bad habit of killing the messenger. So maybe Pompey just gave up and went back to school.

Learnedguy
2006-12-16, 03:12 AM
No, when the flashback returns to the present state, the next character to apear will be the sending of Pompey, telling nale that Elan has escaped, humourusly unbeknowns of the fact that Nale already has meet Elan.

Blackeyed1981
2006-12-16, 04:05 AM
No, no... after Nale has been defeated, Pompey will come tell Elan that Elan has escaped, thinking that Elan is Nale.

Querzis
2006-12-16, 07:11 PM
He probably wasn't actually watching the jail 24/7, he doesn't seem like he'd be good at staying on task without supervision. He needs to eat, sleep, and study his spell book -- even if he was trying to be diligent he'd need to be away from the jail for at least 10-12 hours a day. More than likely he didn't learn about the escape until the next day, possibly not until after Elan left on the sky ship. If he was really lax and was just checking in every few days, it could have taken even longer for him to hear about the escape.

At that point, how is Pompey supposed to contact Nale? Leaving him behind wasn't part of the grand plan, there was just no way to bring him along in a timely manner. Nale says to "tell him to use a sending scroll if anything happens" but do they even have any sending scrolls left? If so, did they make sure that Pompey possesses one of the sending scrolls? If he doesn't he probably can't buy one anywhere in town, because they already bought every Sending scroll in town back in #258, and those things take a while to restock. Pompey may legitimately have no way to contact Nale.

Alternately, like many an evil lackey he doesn't want to be the one who delivers bad news. Evil guys have a bad habit of killing the messenger. So maybe Pompey just gave up and went back to school.

Even if he didnt realized they escaped soon, if he is still in Cliffport its impossible that he didnt realized they escaped in 3 days and a half.

Beside if Nale said: «Tell him to use a sending scroll if anything happen» its probably because they still had sending scroll. They just used 8 sending scrolls last time and there is bound to be more then 8 sending scrolls in the entire city. Beside he can pay a wizard who got the spell if he really need it.

Evil guys like Xykon have the bad habit to kill the messenger but its not the kind of thing Nale would do and Pompey know it. Beside, he could make it sound like Elan had to fight him to escape but spared is life (after all, Pompey isnt strong and Elan already spared Nale life so Nale would believe him). And Pompey already risked is life in the Linear Guild so he woudnt go back to school just because he dont want to contact Nale. Even if he did, the Giant should show it in a strip.

Angela Christine
2006-12-16, 08:55 PM
Even if he didnt realized they escaped soon, if he is still in Cliffport its impossible that he didnt realized they escaped in 3 days and a half.

Yeah, something really weird would have to happen for him not to have heard about it. Nale and Thog were accused of being spree killers responsible for the deaths of hundreds of people, including a few police officers. You'd think news like that would be all over town by the next day.

Basalock
2006-12-16, 09:04 PM
They told the cop's they died remember.

Mewtarthio
2006-12-16, 09:12 PM
I can see it now: Pompey picks up the paper and sees that Elan and Thog have died of the vaporizing flu. Satisfied that the evil plan is successful, he wanders off and does whatever it is that creepy apprentice wizards do with their time. Probably trying to make the CL check on a scroll of Arcane Eye outside the girl's locker room or something.

Querzis
2006-12-17, 01:52 AM
They told the cop's they died remember.

Elan told two really stupids guards he died from vaporizing flu but the warden and the rookie are gonna realise they escaped, especially since Elan told the two guards that Thog was being transfered to another cell.

charles
2006-12-17, 07:05 AM
Heck, he probably got side-tracked and started perving in on the women's prison, or decided that spying on Julia was a higher priority.

I'm sure the Giant will suprise us with something elaborate or something so simple it causes us to bash our heads in to the keyboard.

Amon Star
2006-12-17, 07:23 AM
It's possible Pompey has been arrested. While he was spying on the prison he may have been spotted by the Rookie, who recognised him and promptly arrested him.

the_tick_rules
2006-12-17, 12:52 PM
well maybe nale doesn't need him right now so he doesn't care what he's doing. nale pretty much uses people while they're useful then forgets about them.

Duffren
2006-12-18, 01:11 AM
Pompey doesnt seem like the type to do something when theres noone around to make sure hes doing it. He probably wandered off somewhere convinced that the police could hold Elan and Thog. And even if their escape was in the news Pompey might not have read it.

Amon Star
2006-12-18, 07:07 AM
well maybe nale doesn't need him right now so he doesn't care what he's doing. nale pretty much uses people while they're useful then forgets about them.

Doesn't mean he would ignore a Sending from Pompey. :nale: isn't stupid.

GSFB
2006-12-18, 03:22 PM
He's a teenager, and therefore unreliable. Or, perhaps he will appear after Thog and Not-Nale with his own 3 day flashback story. Or...

Maybe Thog is still in Cliffport and Pompey, disguised with a crafty illusion, is with Elan right now...

Wrecan
2006-12-18, 04:43 PM
I'd like Pompey to interrupt Nale's battle with Elan at a crucial moment with a Sending spell.

Bluesilver
2006-12-18, 05:43 PM
Uhhh, who cares about Pompey?

Wooter
2006-12-18, 05:48 PM
He's a teenager, and therefore unreliable.

Dude, he's 43.

Demented
2006-12-18, 05:52 PM
It's not the years, kid, it's the mileage.

Pompey prolly died of the vaporizing flu.

Epix
2006-12-18, 05:54 PM
I'd like Pompey to interrupt Nale's battle with Elan at a crucial moment with a Sending spell.

That would be in the character of The giant, but i dont think that he would do that. The nale/elan battle is to crucial for the plot.

Zephra
2006-12-18, 06:39 PM
Either he will come back just when we don't expect it, or he's gone.

Epix
2006-12-18, 07:12 PM

Im willing to bet that he will be gone.

GSFB
2006-12-19, 01:13 AM
Dude, he's 43.

Put that into human years. He's an awkward 15 or so.

Wooter
2006-12-19, 12:51 PM
Yes, that would make him an adolescent, but not a teenager. You have to be in your teens to be a teenager, and that means real years, not virtual ones.

GSFB
2006-12-19, 01:09 PM
Considering that "years" are an artificial unit of time based on the orbit of the Earth around the Sun, considering that OotS takes place on some fictional world, where such things as solar orbits could have completely different properties, considering different races have different concepts of time, the notion that an arbitrary figure like "43" has ANY meaning is ludicrous. The number is there as a joke, poking fun at people who try to put our human values onto everything, even where they clearly do not apply.

"Teenager" has more than one meaning. In one sense, it literally means "something older than 12 but younger than 20." But in another sense, it means "having the properties of a teenager." A teenager has properties other chronological age, such as awkwardness and immaturity. A 20 year old who is immature could be "acting like a teenager." Then, so could a precocious 10 year old.

If a movie is rated PG-13, is it impossible for a 10 year old to see it and have a mature reaction? Is it impossible for a 20 year old to enjoy such a juvenille experience?

"Teenaged" is, in our culture, as much a state of mind as a marker of time. Applying the word "teenage" to an alien culture to describe an awkward adolescent, even if such a being is two weeks or two centuries old, is perfectly valid use of the English language.

Bluesilver
2006-12-19, 06:02 PM
Considering that "years" are an artificial unit of time based on the orbit of the Earth around the Sun, considering that OotS takes place on some fictional world, where such things as solar orbits could have completely different properties, considering different races have different concepts of time, the notion that an arbitrary figure like "43" has ANY meaning is ludicrous. The number is there as a joke, poking fun at people who try to put our human values onto everything, even where they clearly do not apply.

"Teenager" has more than one meaning. In one sense, it literally means "something older than 12 but younger than 20." But in another sense, it means "having the properties of a teenager." A teenager has properties other chronological age, such as awkwardness and immaturity. A 20 year old who is immature could be "acting like a teenager." Then, so could a precocious 10 year old.

If a movie is rated PG-13, is it impossible for a 10 year old to see it and have a mature reaction? Is it impossible for a 20 year old to enjoy such a juvenille experience?

"Teenaged" is, in our culture, as much a state of mind as a marker of time. Applying the word "teenage" to an alien culture to describe an awkward adolescent, even if such a being is two weeks or two centuries old, is perfectly valid use of the English language.
That's kind of confusing...

I think he's gone. Still, who cares about Pompey.

Alysar
2006-12-19, 06:17 PM
I think we've heard the last of Pompey. The Giant simply won't have him in the story any more.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Mewtroid
2006-12-19, 06:21 PM

Dear god, you are a master of the long-winded over-explanation of insignificant facts. Teach me, o master.

On a more serious note, Pompey's probably busy trying to FIND a damn sending scroll to use when something happens, since they bought them all.

GSFB
2006-12-19, 06:53 PM
Dear god, you are a master of the long-winded over-explanation of insignificant facts. Teach me, o master.

I had to survive three years of law school to get where I am. Are you prepared for that sort of commitment?

We may see Pompey again. We may not. I don't think his absence at this juncture is significant.

The more important question is: who should play Pompey in the movie?

Morty
2006-12-20, 04:39 AM
Did anyone notice that Nale's plan about Pompey has serious flaw? Pompey can't use Sending scrolls if anything happens, because he can't cast Evocation spells- i.e Sending.

Amon Star
2006-12-20, 06:49 AM
I think we've heard the last of Pompey. The Giant simply won't have him in the story any more.

Of course, I could be wrong.

The Giant won't have a character disappear for no reason, he's to good a writer for that.

Did anyone notice that Nale's plan about Pompey has serious flaw? Pompey can't use Sending scrolls if anything happens, because he can't cast Evocation spells- i.e Sending.

I think you may have just hit the nail on the head. Nale's instructions were an afterthought, so he probably said them and forgot about them. After all, he wasn't really expecting anything to actually happen at the jail.

Epix
2006-12-20, 06:48 PM
Pompey will show up. I know it. Hes the antithesis to Var.

Mapmaker
2006-12-24, 01:30 PM
Maybe Pompey is like a familiar (Nale's familiar?), and will only show up to warn Nale when Nale remembers him. :)

SteveMB
2006-12-24, 02:29 PM
Evil guys like Xykon have the bad habit to kill the messenger but its not the kind of thing Nale would do and Pompey know it.
The description of the way he kept pestering Julia for a date and his quick surrender to Roy gives me the impression that he has a few self-confidence issues. That would make it difficult for him to work up the nerve to inform Nale of the bad news (especially if he found out some time later and expected Nale to chew him out for not keeping a closer watch on the situation).

Copacetic
2006-12-24, 02:29 PM
I think pompey is off somewhere( possibly Xykon) getting more powerful to wipe out V

SteveMB
2006-12-24, 02:38 PM
Well, that didn't happen, but
it might be amusing for Nale to dodge every which way, trying to escape from Elan, running into the other OotS (with Elan close enough to identify him as Nale) and trying to escape from them, heck, perhaps running into Miko (who would detect him as Evil and chase after him while smugly telling herself "I knew it!") -- and then being interrupted by Pompey while desperately trying to think of a way out of the mess. Bonus points if he chews out Pompey at the top of his lungs and thereby gives away his position.

Copacetic
2006-12-25, 02:30 PM
He *IS* ay Xykon i know it it would be an intresting twist and the Giant knows it.

When he gets turned into a minnion be Xykon and tries to kill the Order I want to watch him die:smallwink:

Epix
2006-12-26, 02:31 PM
... Maybe, but Nale has a few issues which would not allow him to be a Xykon. Hes alive, for one.

Mauril Everleaf
2006-12-26, 02:53 PM
also he knew nothing of the gates or xyklon's attempt to take over azure city. plus having a minor antagonist and the major antagonist is just too plot twisty, even for the Giant.

Epix
2006-12-30, 01:12 PM
Meh, maybe, maybe not.

PaladinFreak
2006-12-31, 12:43 PM
I don't know where he is, but I want him to die ASAP.

Epix
2007-01-05, 12:43 PM
Nah, i would like him to stick around. After all, he's the antithesis to Var. Wouldn't be good for story plot.

TheAnimal
2007-01-05, 01:36 PM
Warning: horrible pun follows.

Has anyone else noticed that the name "Vaarsuvius" sounds a bit like "Vesuvius"?
Same goes for "Pompey" and "Pompeii"...

...so, if the Giant is into puns, this will spell a somewhat grim future for the evil half-pointy-eared wizard.
I don't know whether the V-man will "erupt" in the near future, but I'm guessing the Linear Guild will be needing a new mage sooner or later.

TigerHunter
2007-01-05, 05:47 PM

Has anyone else noticed that the name "Vaarsuvius" sounds a bit like "Vesuvius"?

...so, if the Giant is into puns, this will spell a somewhat grim future for the evil half-pointy-eared wizard.
I don't know whether the V-man will "erupt" in the near future, but I'm guessing the Linear Guild will be needing a new mage sooner or later.
Yes. It was all over the discussion thread when we first met him, and has been mentioned a million times since.
It's even mentioned in the Wikipedia article on him. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_Guild#Pompey).

It is speculated that his name is a reference to the city of Pompeii (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pompeii), which was destroyed when the volcano Vesuvius (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vesuvius) erupted; the similarity between the names Vesuvius and Vaarsuvius could foreshadow Pompey's death at the hands of Vaarsuvius. It has also been proposed that he is named for the Roman leader Pompey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pompey), based upon the fact that the historical Pompey married Julius Caesar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Caesar)'s daughter Julia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_%28daughter_of_Julius_Caesar%29), and the OotS's Pompey had a crush (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/../comics/oots0257.html) on Roy's sister Julia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characters_of_the_Order_of_the_Stick#Julia_Greenhi lt).

Azukar
2007-01-06, 06:34 AM
Pompey prolly died of the vaporizing flu.

Gold. 5 points, Demented.

Kish
2007-01-06, 12:34 PM
Still, who cares about Pompey.
Obviously, the person who started this thread. Why do people ask questions like that?

Pompey can't use Sending scrolls. Sending is an Evocation spell and Pompey barred Evocation.

Jewel Thief
2007-01-06, 01:35 PM
Pompey will return in OOTS - there's a reason The Giant made sure Sabine got him out of the clutches of the Cliffport police - but for now, he's done his part. How he's been delayed/tricked (I agree, the Rookie should figure out that Elan and Thog escaped) will be interesting, but not vital to the story line.

Epix
2007-01-06, 04:01 PM
Pompey will return in OOTS - there's a reason The Giant made sure Sabine got him out of the clutches of the Cliffport police - but for now, he's done his part. How he's been delayed/tricked (I agree, the Rookie should figure out that Elan and Thog escaped) will be interesting, but not vital to the story line.

I agree much.

Kilbia
2007-01-09, 06:06 PM

Personally, I think Giant came up with the name Vaarsuvius on his own, maybe inspired by the volcano, maybe not, and then when he was trying to come up with a good name for the new antithesis, Pompey made more sense than, say, Mazama or St. Helens. :smallwink:

Captain Marvel
2007-01-10, 09:52 AM
Pompey is probably trying to rescue the gnomish druid rather than alerting Nale to Elan's escape. They'll show up at some point to rescue the Linear Guild.

Although, I'm betting a few gold pieces that when Vaarsuvius and Pompey meet, it will go something like...

:vaarsuvius: "Son!!!"
Pompey "Hello Vaarsuvius"
:vaarsuvius: "Still showing me disrespect by calling me by my name rather than as your..."
Pompey "Oh! Like you ever showed me any respect!"
:vaarsuvius: "Not this old argument again...."

mockingbyrd7
2007-01-10, 10:51 AM
I doubt that we've seen the last of Pompey. Rich isn't running a soap opera here, he's running a D&D-based comic strip. I don't think characters simply disappear. Is Roy going to come back? Of course he is! But he's been gone for almost 20 strips. See? Besides, if he's going to not be involved in the comic any more, Giant would have to show like a cut to Pompey showing his humorous demise, or what distracted him, or whatever.

mockingbyrd7
2007-01-10, 10:59 AM
PLUS, Pompey has too good of a name to throw him away. Here's why:

:vaarsuvius: could be his father/mother.
The city of Pompeii was destroyed by Vesuvius, a volcano.
The Roman general Pompey fell in love with Julia Caesar. (aka Julia GREENHILT, anyone?)
The Roman general Pompey led a rebellion against Caesar. Think that maybe he and Julia could lead a rebellion against Nale?
Pompey's demise might be a fireball or something like that, from the hands of :vaarsuvius: (Reversed Star Wars!)
:vaarsuvius: I am your father!
BOOM! ULTIMATE POWER!
:vaarsuvius: METEOR SWARM!
BAM! Pompey, who was about to do something like destroy a gate, is buried under a mountain of ash and fire and rock.
:vaarsuvius: (with a tear in his/her eye) It had to be done...

Green Bean
2007-01-10, 11:14 AM
He'll be back. But not right now. If he showed up now, he'd get his half-elven butt handed to him

MaxKaladin
2007-01-10, 12:55 PM
The Roman general Pompey led a rebellion against Caesar. Um, actually, it was Caesar who led a rebellion. The Senate had Pompey lead the armies that were intended to oppose Caesar.

Plus, Julia was dead by that point. She died in childbirth having Pompey's child. Somehow, I don't see Julia Greenhilt and the OotS version of Pompey having such a relationship...

Mad Scientist
2007-01-10, 03:00 PM
Maybe it was finals week at wizard school. Pompey was too busy studying to bother to check the jail.

krossbow
2007-01-10, 05:24 PM
Larry gardner, being totally immune to death by ANY means, will have survived thog in a ridiculous and stupid way; he has of course tracked down pompei and is torturing him with bad latin and his stupid "I'm rich and from good parents, and therefore inherently better than you!" style of heroic wizardry.
________
Drugtest (http://drugtestingkit.org)

Levant
2007-01-10, 07:29 PM
Thog and Elan were only in jail for forty minutes or so, for all we know they had escaped before Pompey got the orders to watch the jail.

Epix
2007-01-10, 08:25 PM
Thog and Elan were only in jail for forty minutes or so, for all we know they had escaped before Pompey got the orders to watch the jail.

This is very true.

Xanthos
2007-01-11, 02:27 AM
Well, I guess #399 answers that question. :)

Epix
2007-01-11, 05:35 PM
Woootttt, end of endless debating. Cya all. Nice talkin to ya.

Mad Scientist
2007-01-11, 09:50 PM
Very funny that he ended up with Leeky. Maybe this is the start of another group of bad guys?

MReav
2007-01-11, 09:52 PM
Well, does that mean Leeky is going to declare a personal vendetta vs Durkon?

MinusInnocence
2007-01-11, 09:54 PM
Maybe. Or Pompey will goad the druid into helping him stick it to Nale... I imagine working for that jerk must be unbearable. This would be neat because it also touches on V's idea of getting the villains to fight each other.

Or nothing will come of it and this was just a funny punchline to Nale's egomaniacal inner soliloquy.

Demented
2007-01-11, 10:27 PM
Spoiler is as spoiler does....
Badly written spoiler too.
Shush.
A certain school for wizardry and sorcery is probably going to get attacked by trees, a good 60 strips later. They are just too many named characters not to make a story arc out of it again.

Borris
2007-01-11, 11:39 PM
My take is that we'll simply never see Pompey and Leeky again, or maybe as a minor cameo in a very long time. Comic # 399 nicly wraps things up, with both NPCs leaving the stage at the beginning of a beautiful friendship.