PDA

View Full Version : Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Giggling Ghast
2013-08-12, 12:32 PM
Did anyone else play this game? I finished it last night and found it to be immensely satisfying.

The game's premise is simple: two brothers must go on a long journey to find a cure for their father's illness. The setting is your fairly standard fantasy setting, albeit one that borrows heavily from Nordic myth. To progress, you control both brothers with one controller, which can get a bit complicated. The brothers themselves speak entirely in Simlish (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpeakingSimlish), so the plot is conveyed through tone and visual cues.

The environments in this game are really stunning, and there's some fantastic action sequences. The story is genuinely touching and even heart-rending towards the end; the phrase "OH GOD WHY" was loudly uttered a few times at my TV screen last night. It's surprisingly dark; the first third of the game lulls you into thinking this is a happy fairy tale, but it sours pretty quick. And some of the puzzles are inspired.

I came across a few irritating glitches and the gameplay is kind of hard to get a knack for. Moving two people with one controller is like rubbing your belly and your head at the same time, except you have to do it for 3-4 hours in pressure situations. There were a lot of times where I released the wrong trigger and got one of the brothers killed. Oh, and it's a bit pricey.

Anyone else play Brothers? It's only on XBox Live right now but comes out for PS3 in September.

Airk
2013-08-14, 09:48 AM
It's gotten very positive press from Penny Arcade, but I haven't picked it up yet. My copy of Tales of Xillia just finally arrived Monday, so it may be a bit. :P

John Cribati
2013-08-14, 09:49 AM
The brothers themselves speak entirely in Simlish (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpeakingSimlish)

Not really. A lot of the simpler commands are in actual languages. For example, when Big Brother points out the direction, he says "alli" which is Spanish for "there."

Giggling Ghast
2013-08-14, 11:59 AM
I seemed to think "Alli" was the younger brother's name, as the mother also uses the word during his visions. But I can't say that with certainty.

In any case, the TV Tropes article informs me that Simlish does borrow a little from RL languages, so I think my description still fits.

Domochevsky
2013-08-15, 12:09 AM
This game is a weird one... I watched a LP of it (gamefront, Mitch) and had an surprisingly hard time suspending my disbelief for it. Has been ages since I last got janked out of the story at every turning point as things went on, going "wait a minute... why is X Y? What is that doing here? How'd it get here? Why'd he/she/it do that?". Everything about what happens in the game is so... convenient.

Quite a bummer, so I started to MST3K halfway through, as relief from all the questions. :smallsigh:

Longes
2013-08-15, 12:16 AM
I would have, if only it was out for PC:smallfurious:

Airk
2013-08-16, 08:25 AM
I would have, if only it was out for PC:smallfurious:

Quit yer grousin', it comes out on Steam in two weeks.