PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #910 - The Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

The Giant
2013-08-12, 12:41 PM
New comic is up.

<-----Also, new News post about miniatures and GenCon and miniatures at GenCon.

FullStop
2013-08-12, 12:43 PM
Oh. Oh dear.

Bated breath, as ever.

cc_kizz
Someone's learning.

Holy crap! That's a lot of army…

Xianthe
Oh dear...this might not be good.

Carl
Well looks like the army guesser's where right and Tarquin's comment makes me think he knows about Malak. Also isn't that caster one of his party? If so look like for once everyone was right.

Ailowynn
Ohhhh crap.

A lot to talk about? That can only be bad.

Mr. Scaly
2013-08-12, 12:44 PM
That...that was unexpected. I guess this is why Tarquin is running a continent and Nale is a minor, if nasty, recurring villain.

Forikroder
but

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Yana
Anyone else hearing a marching noise in the background?

Just me? Oh dear.

Warren Dew
Nice to see the dinosaurs being put to good use.

Well, impressive use, anyway, as there's no gate left to capture.

One Skunk Todd
2013-08-12, 12:46 PM
Walking with Dinosaurs indeed. :)

ETA: The Rift is looking better and better by the second.

SavageWombat
And that answers the "Where's Tarquin?" question.

Anyone else think this is not going to be resolved by the end of the book?

EDIT: Hey! They looted the body! Hooray!

ChristianSt
I literally LOL'ed at seeing the last panel :smallbiggrin:

But I wonder what Tarquin is up to, only thing I can imagine is invading the planet inside the rift - but how would he have gotten that information? :smallconfused:.

HylianKnight
Sweet, this means that they can stop talking circumstantially about the plans they already all knew about!

Kurald Galain
Whoa! That Tarquin takes no half measures when it comes to preparations!

EDIT::smalleek: how did I manage that timing...
My guess is that this is why (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0882.html).

Porthos
2013-08-12, 12:47 PM
Well looks like the army guesser's where right and Tarquin's comment makes me think he knows about Malak. Also isn't that caster one of his party? If so look like for once everyone was right.

Well, we already knew he 'had forces prepared to secure the Gate' (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0822.html).

*checks size of army*

Saaaaaay. Looks like Operation Leap Into The Rift is back on the table as option. :smalltongue:

Yuki Akuma
I suppose Hayley is going to start using wands, now? :smallwink:

freyathefairy
DINOS! And wow a lot of people.

Coldwind
It seems they have to enter the rift now. There is no escape.

wingnutx
All dressed up with no gate to seize.

RustyVenture
So where is this army marching to, exactly?

Also, that's a gate, is it not? That confirms that Tarquin's spellcaster teammate with the floaty deals is epic, right? I don't recall if we ever got her name or not, but she was with the weepies.

But seriously, the dwarven lands, and the other gate, are on another continent. Is Tarquin marching to the elven lands? There's nothing here for his army to conquer except for the OOTS.

I suppose they could march into the rift...

Pip
Well, if you're going to maintain an army you might as well use it.

:smalleek:

BenjCano
2013-08-12, 12:48 PM
Oooh! That's the fox in the henhouse now, isn't it?

Zolthux
Aww yeah! I was looking forward to this!

RedneckTex95
This is gonna be great!
Can't wait to see what happens! Great job again with surprising us Giant!

ArtisticReality
I friggin LOVE Tarquin!

C'mon! Walking in to the scene on the back of dino! HOW DOES IT GET MORE EPIC! And then an army! And and.. the qoute! Omg the qoute! He is so epic!

LIKE A BAWS!! :smallcool:

*Sqques and runs around in circles!!*

Awesomely done! Just awesomely done!! <3

Forikroder
oh good god... could be planning on trying to conquer the world in the rift?

internisus
Do we see enough here to determine whether Tarquin merely rounded up his Blood army or also brought his old adventuring friends back together as some speculated?

oh good god... could be planning on trying to conquer the world in the rift?

Is there any way that he could have knowledge of it?

Tock Zipporah
Haley looted herself some Chekov's Wands.

Plerumque
That's simply awesome.

Norin Warstone
Ohhhh, crap. And THAT is the danger of a man with (nearly) unlimited monetary resources.

Good job on all those who called Tarquin tagging his old party members.

Turgon9357
2013-08-12, 12:49 PM
Wooo! Called it.

Hard to guess what Tarquin has on his mind. I wouldn't be too surprised if he had a device or something notifying him about Malack, but thus far his reactions to things have been awfully hard to predict.

DASLAYARGH
Ruh roh... I wonder how Tarquin's gonna react when he finds out what happened to the gate? Maybe he suspected that Nale would kill Malack...

Anyways, a teleport spell would be good for the Order right now... or a nice leap into the rift. But will they find V in time?

CoffeeIncluded
Oh my. Well, guess that's one question answered. And hm, I'm guessing just a couple more pages until the book ends, and now it's a mad dash to Kraagor's gate. Or into the rift again? I have no idea...

Porthos
2013-08-12, 12:50 PM
BTW, I know I'm a little rusty on my 3.5 mechanics, but is that spell Gate? :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek:

Checking out the spell description nothing in it says you can't use it for in-plane travel.

One Skunk Todd
And Mr. Scruffy does not like Durkon one little bit.

Forikroder
Do we see enough here to determine whether Tarquin merely rounded up his Blood army or also brought his old adventuring friends back together as some speculated?

Is there any way that he could have knowledge of it?

who knows... he may have been able to scry the other 2 destroyed gates enough to peek inside

Surrealistik
2013-08-12, 12:51 PM
Eager to see what those chekhov's gun wands do.

SavageWombat
I always felt that the Ioun Stones chick was supposed to be a Psionicist. There might be a psi power that works better.

Gift Jeraff
At first I was like, "Aw, it was calling an army of mooks? We already had a whole book about that!" Then I noticed Tarquin's ioun stone ally and was like, "Awesome."

So is she a psion or something? Casters' eyes rarely glow (we've only seen it when V and MitD get really emotional, and the MitD's may not have been magic), whereas the Soulknife from the brunchroom brawl had glowing eyes.

Carl
Also Am i the only one happy we see roy begin both very reasonable about this as well as surprisingly understanding with Belkar here. Also bets on those wands coming in useful in about 5 seconds?

@Porthos: We didn't know it was near enough to get on short notice though.

Also am i the only one getting a palpatine/Dooku vibe out of that last panel with Tarq/Nale. Deliberate maybe?

Now just so long as Belkar doesn't pull a Zack Fair on that army...

Lordchoculla
2013-08-12, 12:52 PM
New comic is up.

<-----Also, new News post about miniatures and GenCon and miniatures at GenCon.

Beautiful, thanks Giant. Both for the new twist and for the miniatures.

Incidentally, odds should be fairly even now, right?
:smallsmile:

King of Nowhere
That last panel...
That was a pretty impressive display.

I felt my mouth hanging open while I stared at the screen.

EDIT:
Also, the "we have a lot to talk about" makes me think tarquin somehow knows about malack.

Giggling Ghast
Well, the plan (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0822.html) always did involve bringing in Empire of Blood troops to secure Girard's gate. But Tarquin doesn't know that the gate has been destroyed, and I suspect Nale is about to feed him a bunch of lies about how the Order wrecked it and then killed Malack.

Belkar raising the moral objection to employing Durkon is a bit surprising.

FullStop
BTW, I know I'm a little rusty on my 3.5 mechanics, but is that spell Gate? :smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek:

Checking out the spell description nothing in it says you can't use it for in-plane travel.

I would imagine so. To my understanding Gate is one of the better options for moving a very large number of creatures long distances.

Say what you will about Tarquin et al, but damn if he doesn't know how to make an entrance.

E^G
2013-08-12, 12:53 PM
"Walk with me."
I can't help but read that with a scarily dispassionate tone of voice.
:smallfrown::smalleek:

Also. What is that spell? Do we think most of Tarquin's group is at least low-level epic?

Edit: suggest spell is the 9th level Gate
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/gate.htm

Malistrae
Tarquin truly made an impressive entrance, as expected. But what he intends to use his dinosaur army for? The Gate is gone, Xykon is gone and the Order is not really the threat level which would require such a force. Also, nice to see that Nale is saved from dehydration and death in the desert, at least for the short-term. I have a suspicion that Tarquin has been monitoring the events somehow and perhaps intends to lead an expeditionary force into the rift as a poster above me said.

DASLAYARGH

OH MAN... what if Tarquin has a portion of his military stationed on another plane!? That'd be...

freakin' epic! :smallcool:

edit: It's stated on the SRD that "A gate cannot be opened to another point on the same plane; the spell works only for interplanar travel."

Miraqariftsky
TAN-tatan-DAN-tan-DADAN-tan-DUNdaDUN-tan-TUN-da-DUN!

Beautifully done, sir Giant. Much appreciated.

Rogar Demonblud
Also, that's a gate, is it not? That confirms that Tarquin's spellcaster teammate with the floaty deals is epic, right? I don't recall if we ever got her name or not, but she was with the weepies.

Empire of Sweat, actually. The strip showed her and the catgirl in a sauna.

Also, I think we can all agree with this: OH, SNAP!!

Coldwind
2013-08-12, 12:54 PM
No restoration potion/spell/etc. for Belkar? oh no :smallfrown:

Commander672
2013-08-12, 12:54 PM
Hum it with me now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bzWSJG93P8

Turgon9357
2013-08-12, 12:55 PM
For the end of the book, I'm guessing the last panel (or at least the last panel featuring the Order) will be them leaping through the rift.

Possibly with a dun dun dunnnnn, although that could distract from the "Ohmanohmanohman" factor.

Caex
"Hello, Nale. Walk with me. We have a lot to talk about."

Chills. Really looking forward to how this plays out.

Tanklin
2nd page, new record!

Chad30
Looks like he brought an army, instead of his adventuring party. I kind of wished for the latter, though I guess it would be incomplete now without Malack. Still an Oh Crap moment. Time to book it, Order!

Imperial March for the win.

Forikroder
2013-08-12, 12:56 PM
Looks like he brought an army, instead of his adventuring party. I kind of wished for the latter, though I guess it would be incomplete now without Malack. Still an Oh Crap moment. Time to book it, Order!

he has one of his party at least

RMS Oceanic
2013-08-12, 12:56 PM
Welp, I know what I'm listening to as I watch this MARCH of an EMPIRE. :smallwink:

Roland Itiative
2013-08-12, 12:57 PM
I came here with a feeling a new comic was up, and it turned out to be right :smalltongue:

I have absolutely no idea of what will possibly happen next.

SaintRidley
2013-08-12, 12:57 PM
Pretty sure that's a Gate.

nonamearisto
2013-08-12, 12:58 PM
Well, if that's an army to fight the OOTS, then it is overkill. Still, that would force the order to either run away overland or (probably) into the rift. If I had to guess right now, I'd say that it is an army that intends to invade the world in the rift. Of course, a gate on that scale is like... Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion huge. Definitely looks like an epic-level spell.

Porthos
2013-08-12, 01:00 PM
Seeing that Ioun Stone Caster is holding the gate open, I think that's pretty strong evideance that this is either Gate (it looks exactly like we've seen Gate before (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0833.html) [and SoD]) or a psionic version of the same spell.

Even if the SRD says you can't do it, homebrewed rules could apply.

Pantler
Awesometastic.

Clovis
Hmm, Xykon will re-invent aerial supremacy again: flying zombie dinosaurs! Tarquin's army--impressive though it looks--is a mere speed bump for an epic magic-user, not to mention a cleric wearing an artifact.

ellindsey
The army can't be intended to invade the world inside the Rift, since Tarquin has no way to know about that. Most likely the army was intended to sieze the Gate, and to defend it against Xykon or anyone else who would claim it. Tarquin probably doesn't know that the Gate has been destroyed yet.

littlebum2002
2013-08-12, 01:01 PM
There's no way my incredibly stupid "wands" thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297098)has anything to do with panel 4, right? It's just a really weird coincidence. I hope.

Chad30
2013-08-12, 01:02 PM
he has one of his party at least

That's true. One of his party plane shifted everyone. Upon closer look, Nale seems to be grinning evilly. I'd be more nervous after I just killed dad's buddy.

SaintRidley
OOTS.

Not epic, but at least 17th level (18th if she's a sorceress).

SavageWombat
There's no way my incredibly stupid "wands" thread has anything to do with panel 4, right? It's just a really weird coincidence. I hope.

I think you should take full credit. Who's going to stop you?

Xelbiuj
Gate, impressive.

The soldiers are still mooks though, just another lacky upgrade like with goblins to hobgoblins.

lol@ marching toward a crater. Less time army building, more time scrying.

Aquillion
The army can't be intended to invade the world inside the Rift, since Tarquin has no way to know about that. Most likely the army was intended to sieze the Gate, and to defend it against Xykon or anyone else who would claim it. Tarquin probably doesn't know that the Gate has been destroyed yet.Amusingly, if Roy hadn't destroyed the gate and Xykon had captured it, Tarquin would probably have a good shot at killing him now -- it's unlikely the big spell can be used that quickly.

Ted The Bug
Weeeeeeell that's something. Probably something bad.

I only wish that this had been a two-pager, just for a full-page splash panel of Tarquin's Army.

Carl
2013-08-12, 01:03 PM
Pretty sure that's a Gate.

:mitd: What Gate?

Sorry couldn't resist.

Crusher
Bang! End of the book, print it.

Would have preferred if Roy had ended that final sentence with "Everyone keep your guard up, but its time to get moving." to make it a clearer transitional moment but this'll do.

Hmm, that having been said, maybe the Giant intends one more strip to really close things out but he'd have lost the punchy visual of the incoming army so I kinda doubt it.

Anyway, the Big Guns are in motion as Team Tarquin is now taking the field providing a real counter-weight to Team Evil. V should be getting back up shortly because the Order needs to step up its game to stay in the picture.

NM020110
Let's see...speculation over the caster being psionic, and what is pretty clearly a gate...I'm going to suggest that we're dealing with a Spell to Power Erudite, possibly at epic level.

The Giant
2013-08-12, 01:04 PM
There's no way my incredibly stupid "wands" thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297098)has anything to do with panel 4, right? It's just a really weird coincidence. I hope.

No, though I admit to being mildly irked when I saw the thread, since this comic was already scripted and halfway drawn and I knew it was going to look like I swiped the idea.

Lordchoculla
2013-08-12, 01:05 PM
Hum it with me now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bzWSJG93P8

Thanks! Just my thoughts. I'd be delighted to hum this alongside you.

Incidentally, RC may end up needing his hobby army.... at least it would be great to have Tarquin/humans vs RC/hobbies vs dwarf king/dwarves vs a couple of other armies vs OotS vs X .... :smallcool:

EDIT: Wonder if the advice (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0901.html) of the MitD actually turns out to be sound? With all these armies approaching something, I mean. Now X has a head-start to Kraagor's Gate.... :smallbiggrin:

Solse
2013-08-12, 01:06 PM
I smell a battle. Even though we don't see an opposing army.

Kurald Galain
But Tarquin doesn't know that the gate has been destroyed, and I suspect Nale is about to feed him a bunch of lies about how the Order wrecked it and then killed Malack.

Wanna bet that Tarquin has good ranks in Sense Motive?

SoC175
OH MAN... what if Tarquin has a portion of his military stationed on another plane!? That'd be...

freakin' epic! :smallcool:

edit: It's stated on the SRD that "A gate cannot be opened to another point on the same plane; the spell works only for interplanar travel."However it can greatly shortening travelling time to just use 2 gates.

In the githyankti invasion story arc in Dragon/Dungeon some years back, the giths achieved surpreme mobility by marching their hoses back and forth through gates to outmaneuver the human armies

F.Harr
2013-08-12, 01:07 PM
Oh, dear. That's going to be very hard for the order to cope with. Even WITH Vaarsuvius.

Faramir
2013-08-12, 01:07 PM
Apologies if this has already been suggested, but it just occurred to me that so long as Durkon is still a vampire the next time he goes home he can still be resurrected afterwards without violating the prophecy.

Math_Mage
2013-08-12, 01:08 PM
Sooooo, that's definitely Gate. Same effect from Redcloak's casting of it. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0833.html) I'd say the mage on Tarquin's team is CL 18+, except that looks like the same desert on the other side, so maybe we're skipping the rule about Gate being unable to teleport on the same plane.

I anticipate Nale trying to lie about Malack, but Tarquin will see right through it and explain patiently that giving Nale the chance to fight it out with Malack was the point.

Question: What can be the narrative purpose of the cavalry arriving after the MacGuffin has been destroyed? The confrontation can only be with the Order, unless Ian has been hiding something crazy in the desert this whole time. But the Order certainly isn't interested in the confrontation, even though they can't run from it.

Question: How will this develop to make V's return from possession dramatically appropriate?

Eager to see what those chekhov's gun wands do.
They serve the important purpose of stopping anyone from complaining the way they did when Nale pulled out his wand of Enervation. :smallwink:

The Zealot
2013-08-12, 01:10 PM
:smalleek: When won't I get to use this face for an update?

In all seriousness though, I wonder what Tarquin is doing, sending his army out to a now destroyed gate.

1. It's likely not for conquering the other world as he doesn't know about that yet.
2. He doesn't seem the type to waste such vast resources on petty revenge for the Order.
3. He seems to know all about what happened between Nale and Malack, indicating that he knows the gate is no longer there. That's more of just my interpretation, however.

:smallamused: I can't wait for this next update.

(Also, great to see the order finally loot a fallen foe!)

Icewraith
2013-08-12, 01:10 PM
So is it a homebrewed gate, or did they just set up two gates right next to each other in some other (presumably benign) plane?

Also.... shouldn't Elan be "dunh dunh dunhhhh"ing right about now?

Forikroder
2013-08-12, 01:11 PM
The army can't be intended to invade the world inside the Rift, since Tarquin has no way to know about that. Most likely the army was intended to sieze the Gate, and to defend it against Xykon or anyone else who would claim it. Tarquin probably doesn't know that the Gate has been destroyed yet.

there are 3 large open rifts he culd look into to find out about the inside world though

Porthos
2013-08-12, 01:12 PM
However it can greatly shortening travelling time to just use 2 gates.

In the githyankti invasion story arc in Dragon/Dungeon some years back, the giths achieved surpreme mobility by marching their hoses back and forth through gates to outmaneuver the human armies

Exactly this.

Step 1: Use Scroll to Gate to somewhere where you won't be bothered for a couple of minutes.

Step 2: Use Scroll/Memorized spell to Gate to your destination.

'Problem' solved. And this is presuming that Gate hasn't been houseruled in OotSWorld.

littlebum2002
2013-08-12, 01:16 PM
No, though I admit to being mildly irked when I saw the thread, since this comic was already scripted and halfway drawn and I knew it was going to look like I swiped the idea.

I figured as much. Now I know how people feel when they just KNOW you took their prediction idea and put it in the comic. Of course it's a coincidence, but it just feels like I hit the nail on the head so perfectly.

Of course, that ignores the thousands of other people who made a WRONG prediction, but still...it was MY prediction, so that makes it DIFFERENT!

Also, I know now why you don't like reading predictions.

Doug Lampert
Exactly this.

Step 1: Use Scroll to Gate to somewhere where you won't be bothered for a couple of minutes.

Step 2: Use Scroll/Memorized spell to Gate to your destination.

'Problem' solved. And this is presuming that Gate hasn't been houseruled in OotSWorld.

Why not just use one Teleportation Circle? Gate is 1 round/level and has to go to another plane, teleportation circle lasts far longer and can go to the same plane.

Ivrytwr
Awesome visual: Tarquin leading a dino-equipped army including air support!

Cannot help but wonder what they will do: stomp OotS into the sand (probably not) or try to enter the rift (and swim in a vast ocean!)

Does Tarquin intend to replace Malack with Nale?
I am not convinced Durkon is 100% with OotS.

Good comic Giant.

RMS Oceanic
2013-08-12, 01:17 PM
If Elan wants to go over that plan of his (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0836.html) with Durkon, I would strongly recommend it. :smallbiggrin:

Roland Itiative
2013-08-12, 01:18 PM
Hmm, Xykon will re-invent aerial supremacy again: flying zombie dinosaurs! Tarquin's army--impressive though it looks--is a mere speed bump for an epic magic-user, not to mention a cleric wearing an artifact.

Xykon is on a whole different continent, no way he'll get to meet this army (for now, at least).

Porthos
BTW, all the nitpicking about Gate aside, if this is indeed Gate, that means that Tarquin has a freakin' caster/manifester who can use ninth level spells/powers.

Yeah. Team OotS ain't standing up to THAT at the moment.

One Skunk Todd
I wonder how many times "GAAH!" has been used as an exclamation of surprise in the comic by now. :)

Alaska Fan
2013-08-12, 01:19 PM
Wouldn't someone as sophisticated and experienced as Tarquin scry before committing a big army like this? So wouldn't he know that the pyramid, gate and all are blown up?

Would scrying show him the planet where the Snarl is supposed to be, so that he is setting out to conquer the planet in the rift? But it's all water, as far as we can see. And would he go there not knowing if he can get back?

The Giant has astonished and bewildered me again. "Marching On." I love it.

Fish
2013-08-12, 01:19 PM
There is the possibility that the army was summoned to defend the Gate. Tarquin has no idea what might pop out of it, after all.

It is also possible that Tarquin knows more about Xykon than Nale told him. The army could be there against the possibility of catching Xykon.

The Zealot
2013-08-12, 01:20 PM
Does Tarquin intend to replace Malack with Nale?

You can't replace a cleric with a rogue/fighter/sorcerer. Heck, Elan would be a better replacement than Nale because at least he could heal!

I will be honest that I have no idea what Tarquin intends, however. He's been shown to be fairly resourceful.

137beth
2013-08-12, 01:20 PM
Bam! Now we have some idea what Tarquin did before he left the city:smalleek:

Porthos
2013-08-12, 01:21 PM
Why not just use one Teleportation Circle? Gate is 1 round/level and has to go to another plane, teleportation circle lasts far longer and can go to the same plane.

The point is more the power level required to pull it off than the actual spell. Teleportation Circle being a 9th level spell as well.

Psyren
I have to admit, it was amusing to watch the Order ransack Z's body like a burlap bag. You can take the murder hobo out of the loot-filled dungeon... :smallbiggrin:

SavageWombat
I'd guess that whatever weird paternal feelings Tarquin has for Nale are keeping him from executing Nale outright. I don't know if he's going to offer him a throne or anything - but I'm betting it's going to be a "here's how it's going to be" speech.

Forikroder
maybe he intends to cast a ritual on the rift itself to get power instead of relying on a third party gate as a medium

Goosefeather
I suppose this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bzWSJG93P8) would be in keeping with previously established themes.

ellindsey
Am I misunderstanding the art, or does the closer (tan, not reddish) allosaur have two left legs?

luc258
2013-08-12, 01:23 PM
Called it with the army :smallsmile: Now where are all the people that made fun of that idea?

Mutant Sheep
2013-08-12, 01:24 PM
While I doubt Tarquin borrowing another country's "advisor" is much of a threat to his plan, I still wonder about the Reptilian ambassadors private conversation with the Empress of Blood...:smallamused: Anything that takes power away from Tarquin would be nice.

I'm leaning towards "Tarquin does something dramatic" as my prediction, though.:smallbiggrin:

Quild
2013-08-12, 01:24 PM
lol, seriously?

Also I have the feeling that Roy is acting as a jerk toward Durkon. Sure, there's no way to rez him right now but still...

Is Haley's loot somehow linked to the topic asking why she isn't using wands? :smallconfused:

Quorothorn
2013-08-12, 01:25 PM
That, uh, that is an army right there...definitely Imperial March listening time.

I see three possibilities regarding headband-person's casting.

1. It's a Gate, the "cannot be opened to another point on the same plane; the spell works only for interplanar travel" clause waived because why is it even there in the first place (I would be tempted to houserule it away in a campaign), or gotten around via casting it twice.

2. This army actually was stashed on a different plane (seems unlikely but including it anyway).

3. It's not actually a Gate, just some other ability that allows for swift transportation of large numbers of creatures via a big gate-like hole in the air.

I, ah, kind of lean to #1, shall we say. Of course, that means they're a 17th+-level Wizard or 18th+-level Sorcerer so, yikes.

Alternatively, the headband-person is actually a channeler from the Wheel of Time 'verse and that's a Travelling weave.

Also am i the only one getting a palpatine/Dooku vibe out of that last panel with Tarq/Nale. Deliberate maybe?

Very very unlikely to be "deliberate" but we shall see if it ends up being somewhat...similar, in at least one or two ways.

cavalier973
2013-08-12, 01:25 PM
Dinosaur Army FTW!!!!

Drakeburn
2013-08-12, 01:26 PM
AAAAAAHH!!!!! OH THE SUSPENSE!!! It's killing me!!!!! :smalleek:

Gift Jeraff
Note she has the same dweomer as Nale, and Rich said casters pick their magic colours. It would make sense if she was the one who taught Nale magic, as people have been speculating that all of Tarquin's party members were Nale's teachers.

Gorgon_Heap
Holy Crap!!!

Henry the 57th
So, now what? The LG is gone, but Tarquin's brought at least one other party member and an army, and Nale will no doubt be healed shortly.

Guess it's time to bail.

littlebum2002
2013-08-12, 01:28 PM
I don't know what to think. It makes sense for T to use his army to control the gate, he even said he would. It doesn't make sense to mobilize an entire legion just to eliminate the Order. But then again, it would make for VERY bad planning (not to mention VERY bad storytelling) for him to have not scried on the area to make sure the objective was still obtainable prior to mobilizing his troops. Can you imagine the next strip? "Oops, sorry guys, turn around and go home".

Also, for all the people posting "Imperial March", this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHJOz_y9rZE) is the ultimate, epic-win Imperial March.

Sir_Leorik
2013-08-12, 01:29 PM
Eep! :smalleek:

Mama mia! That is one huge army! And they have dinosaurs! This looks like it's time for the Order to pull out plan Q! No, not run away (that's plan B), Plan Q: Negotiate! No, wait, Plan Q is where Elan is disguised like a marsupial. Negotiation is Plan L, subsection 1, paragraph e. :smallbiggrin:

I noticed that Mr. Scruffy is hissing at Durkon. Animals are instictively hostile to Vampires.

Porthos
2013-08-12, 01:29 PM
As I said in the CL&G thread, since Ioun Stone Caster is concentrating to hold open the opening into spacetime, I am leaning more and more to Gate.

Either houseruled or two castings thereof.

Toper
2013-08-12, 01:31 PM
This comic is so freakin' awesome.

Looks like Tarquin's been scrying on Nale, most likely. It's possible that he doesn't know what happened to the Gate and wanted to seize it intact, but somehow I think he knows what's going on and has his own plans for the rift.

I noticed that Mr. Scruffy is hissing at Durkon. Animals are instinctively hostile to Vampires.
I liked that detail, too.

Gift Jeraff
As I said in the CL&G thread, since Ioun Stone Caster is concentrating to hold open the opening into spacetime, I am leaning more and more to Gate.

Either houseruled or two castings thereof.

They're teleporting from a pavement in a desert with the same sky as the Western Continent, so I'd rule out two castings.

Hopeless
I have to admit, it was amusing to watch the Order ransack Z's body like a burlap bag. You can take the murder hobo out of the loot-filled dungeon... :smallbiggrin:

Isn't Z a Wizard?
So shouldn't he be carrying a spell book?
Hmmm?:smallamused:

V might not be able to use all of his spells if he's truly her whoops hir opposite but nobody said Hayley couldn't use up or sell off what they can't use?:smallwink:

TRH
2013-08-12, 01:32 PM
Question: How will this develop to make V's return from possession dramatically appropriate?

Answer: It won't. V won't return from possession until after the Order has fled into the Rift, leaving her stranded. Not sure what happens from there, but she for sure isn't going with them.

On an unrelated note: yeah, the "old adventuring party" roundup wouldn't be as cool without Malack, would it? Call this a consolation prize. A damn cool consolation prize. :smallbiggrin:

Shale
2013-08-12, 01:32 PM
Okay, that would be Tarquin's entire friggin' party and, potentially, their associated military forces. If not, it's only the military from a third of the continent instead of the whole thing.

New plan: runawayrunawayrunawayrunaway.

Also, nice exchange between Roy and Belkar there. If even Roy thinks of Durkula as wearing Durkon's body, and Belkar is outright hostile to him (even knowing he's free-willed and feeling helpful), it's going to get pretty unpleasant when those feelings come out into the open.

Jay R
2013-08-12, 01:33 PM

I suspect that you're right, but I'm not prepared to bet against Tarquin already knowing something before we know that he does.

luc258
2013-08-12, 01:34 PM
Somebody has to bring death and destruction to the dwarven homeland. It being Durcula's new domains would have been kind of lame, wouldn't it?

t209
2013-08-12, 01:36 PM
Somebody has to bring death and destruction to the dwarven homeland. It being Durcula's new domains would have been kind of lame, wouldn't it?
Yep, Durkon's Vampire (Death) and his possible power domain (Destruction).
P.S- OOTS are screwed.

Harbinger
2013-08-12, 01:36 PM
Oh. Right. Tarquin has a huge army. This seems so obvious in hindsight. I wonder what he plans to do with it now that the gate is gone, though.

luc258
2013-08-12, 01:38 PM
Oh. Right. Tarquin has a huge army. This seems so obvious in hindsight. I wonder what he plans to do with it now that the gate is gone, though.

He will make the OOTS an offer they can't refuse - again.

Sir_Leorik
No restoration potion/spell/etc. for Belkar? oh no :smallfrown:

Restoration is a 6th level spell. Potions can only be made of spells 3rd level or lower.

Michaeler
Interesting that Belkar seems to be the only one who is actually worried about Durkon instead of just accepting Durkula into the party.

Juggling Goth
2013-08-12, 01:39 PM
Hooooooly crap.

Also, I love the way the Giant draws the big theropods. There's a real air of size and weight about them.

Toper
2013-08-12, 01:39 PM
Tarquin's army continues to be quite racially diverse! It struck me for the first time today that he doesn't seem to employ any lizardfolk, though, which is surprising given their sizable local population. I wonder why?

Vinsfeld
2013-08-12, 01:40 PM
Everytime I think that this book and the whole "desert arc" is going to end, the Giant throws a huge "NOPE!" to my face.

I'm wondering if the Giant has some connection with Chuck Testa.

Icedaemon
2013-08-12, 01:42 PM
:mitd: What Gate?

Sorry couldn't resist.

Fairly sure :mitd: says that line because he's expecting a 'gate' spell instead of one of the gates holding the Snarl in/keeping the two worlds apart.

Fish
Here's a thought on the whole army-transporting spell:

Who cares?

Clearly this is a thing that happened. Now there is an army. One spell, two spells, one plane, two planes... does it matter? It happened. Someone showed up whom we know to be about Tarquin's power level, and did it.

I'm going with "Headband Girl researched an army-moving spell because that's the business they are in." Done.

Shale
Tarquin's army continues to be quite racially diverse! It struck me for the first time today that he doesn't seem to employ any lizardfolk, though, which is surprising given their sizable local population. I wonder why?

He does - maybe not a bunch, but one of the palace guards (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0717.html) is lizardfolk.

Sir_Leorik
Isn't Z a Wizard?

V might not be able to use all of his spells if he's truly her opposite but nobody said Hayley couldn't use up or sell off what they can't use?:smallwink:

A smart Wizard doesn't bring their spellbook with them on adventures; they make a copy of important spells and carry that. Z's spellbook may be in the EoB or in the Drow Homelands.

Or Haley was going for the cool stuff first. Or the Giant is replying to a thread about Haley not using wands. :smallwink:

EDIT:

And there you have it folks!

Gift Jeraff

I think I see some green faces in there.

DolGrenn
2013-08-12, 01:43 PM
I love how Mr. Scruffy is hissing at Durkula!
Also, still waiting for V to be free...

joosy
2013-08-12, 01:44 PM
Well, ...I suspect Nale is about to feed him a bunch of lies about how the Order wrecked it and then killed Malack...

Unless Nale has had some serious character growth, I doubt he would give credit to someone else for his own actions - especially one he is so proud of. It is one of he things that Tarquin would do if it worked in his favor and that is one of the major father/son conflicts those two manifest.

See panel 5 here:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0820.html

exenia
2013-08-12, 01:44 PM
Tarquin is far too savvy to not already know about Malack, the gate, Z, and probably even TE and the sand elemental.

The bigger question is whether he'll want to bring Nale into the strike team, abandon him in the desert, or execute him on the spot. Heck, we can't even tell yet whether he's unhappy at Nale's treachery, or simply that he fumbled it and got chased off instead of working it into total victory.

Fish
2013-08-12, 01:45 PM
Or the Giant is replying to a thread about Haley not using wands. :smallwink:
Or you could read this thread and see where the Giant shot down that theory.

Henry the 57th

He does. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0801.html) Several (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0793.html) of (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0767.html) them. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0768.html)

tzukisan
Wow. Looks like a major confrontation in the next few pages.Unless the order finds V and teleports away:smallcool::smallcool:

joosy
2013-08-12, 01:46 PM
Wow. Looks like a major confrontation in the next few pages.Unless the order finds V and teleports away:smallcool::smallcool:

Assuming Haley has a teleport scroll/wand. V cannot cast teleport as a spell or in wand/scroll/etc. form.

Thokk_Smash
2013-08-12, 01:47 PM
Or Haley was going for the cool stuff first. Or the Giant is replying to a thread about Haley not using wands. :smallwink:

The Giant noted that this strip was already halfway done before that thread had been created. So that's not it. (I know you were joking, but still)

Rosstin
Called it. :smallcool:

Tarquin is gonna be all like "You're stupid but sort-of competent. Nice work."

Shred-Bot
They're teleporting from a pavement in a desert with the same sky as the Western Continent, so I'd rule out two castings.

Unless the army was on vacation in the ELEMENTAL PLANE OF SILICON!

Curse you, Tarquin, and your generous vacation policy towards your henchmen!

ellindsey
2013-08-12, 01:48 PM

Unless one of those wands Haley found is a Wand of Teleport (does such a thing even exist in D&D?) they can't. V can't cast Conjuration school spells, which Teleport is. Even if they found the flying carpet, I doubt they can outrun Tarquin's air support. Into the Rift might be the best plan after all.

Michaeler
2013-08-12, 01:48 PM
Assuming Haley has a teleport scroll/wand. V cannot cast teleport as a spell or in wand/scroll/etc. form.

Also, Tarquin has explicitly noted this fact out loud, so he may be counting on them not having the teleport option.

Arrowstorm122
2013-08-12, 01:49 PM
He will make the OOTS an offer they can't refuse - again.

Let us capture you and tell us where the gate is or we will kill you.

*jumps into the rift*

Nope!

Sir_Leorik
2013-08-12, 01:50 PM

Who cares?

Clearly this is a thing that happened. Now there is an army. One spell, two spells, one plane, two planes... does it matter? It happened. Someone showed up whom we know to be about Tarquin's power level, and did it.

In terms of the narrative it really doesn't matter if Unnamed Wizard cast a Gate spell or some other Open-Portal-And-Teleport-An-Army-Through-It spell. Whatever she cast is at least as powerful as a 9th level spell, since that's the Gate spell's level.

She is basically tearing open a hole in space and moving a ginormous army through it. And judging by the speed and efficiency with which they are marching, Tarquin's forces have clearly been practicing this manuever before. This is important, because I'm pretty sure dinosaurs need to be trained (using the Handle Animal skill) to march through a magic portal. And even regular troops might be averse to marching to a new location sight unseen. This shows us how regimented and efficient Tarquin has made the soldiers in his army (armies?), and that he uses such tactics to move large armies where he needs them to be. (Too bad it doesn't give us insight into his current plans. :smallfrown:)

Porthos
2013-08-12, 01:51 PM
Restoration is a 6th level spell. Potions can only be made of spells 3rd level or lower.

Not that matters since it is higher than 3rd, but Restoration is a 4th level spell.

RMS Oceanic
2013-08-12, 01:52 PM

Unless V has Wish prepared, that isn't likely. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0340.html)

gerryq
2013-08-12, 01:52 PM
That last panel...
That was a pretty impressive display.

I felt my mouth hanging open while I stared at the screen.

I could actually hear martial music!

ArnoudX
2013-08-12, 01:53 PM
Glad to see that I'm not the only one who now has the Imperial March stuck in his head.

On the other hand: would Tarquin have expected to have an army there before the gate went kablooey? I'm not sure, to be honest.

Sir_Leorik
2013-08-12, 01:53 PM
Interesting that Belkar seems to be the only one who is actually worried about Durkon instead of just accepting Durkula into the party.

He's the only member of the party who Durkon did not honestly like. And he remembers Vampire Durkon feeding off of him, when he was unable to resist. Belkar takes that kind of thing personally.

As for Elan, Haley and Roy, they are looking at this pragmatically. Is Vampire Durkon really more dangerous to them than Belkar might be? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0014.html) After all, there are several ways to ward off a Vampire, and very few ways to ward off Belkar. :smallwink:

Shale
2013-08-12, 01:54 PM
Excessive amounts of garlic would work on either.

Morph Bark
2013-08-12, 01:54 PM
We're probably nearing the end of this arc. Not only as gleaned from the story developments, but there have been four books so far and they detail two thirds of the story up until now, not counting book-exclusive bonus strips and the prequel books.

Say, how many bonus strips exclusive to the books does each book get, anyway? Is there a minimum, a set number, or does it vary wildly per book?

DolGrenn
2013-08-12, 01:55 PM
By the way, I believe that we've seen Gate cast before by Redcloak (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0833.html), if it at all matters or makes any difference to the discussion at hand.

elros
Tarquin FTW!!

I bet Tarquin tries to teach Nale the importance of timing, need to bluff, etc. But I also bet Nale is too stubborn to learn anything from him.

Plus we get to see some more of Tarquin's old crew, and I'm sure they won't be too happy about Malack's destruction, either. All in all, I like how the Giant works personal stories in to a big epic plot. And few things are more epic than that army!

Sir_Leorik
Not that matters since it is higher than 3rd, but Restoration is a 4th level spell.

Right. Which 6th level spell am I mixing it up with? I know I saw a 6th level spell mixed in with Lesser Restoration and Restoration while I was paging through "Libris Mortis". Greater Restoration? Mass Restoration?

Vinsfeld
2013-08-12, 01:57 PM
He's the only member of the party who Durkon did not honestly like. And he remembers Vampire Durkon feeding off of him, when he was unable to resist. Belkar takes that kind of thing personally.

As for Elan, Haley and Roy, they are looking at this pragmatically. Is Vampire Durkon really more dangerous to them than Belkar might be? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0014.html) After all, there are several ways to ward off a Vampire, and very few ways to ward off Belkar. :smallwink:

:vaarsuvius: Hold Person!

pendell
Awesome. Truly awesome.

Is it bad of me that my first thought was "why haven't they disposed of zzd'tri's corpse? They'll regret that! "

Looks to me like Tarquin wants to conquer the world through the rift and .. and ... oh it's terrible of me but there's a part of me that wants to enlist in his army instead of stopping him. My gosh, he's the best villain in this strip.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Porthos
Right. Which 6th level spell am I mixing it up with? I know I saw a 6th level spell mixed in with Lesser Restoration and Restoration while I was paging through "Libris Mortis". Greater Restoration? Mass Restoration?

Greater is 7th in the SRD. So, dunno. Sorry. :smalltongue:

SavageWombat

Greater Restoration.

Porthos
2013-08-12, 01:59 PM
Say, how many bonus strips exclusive to the books does each book get, anyway? Is there a minimum, a set number, or does it vary wildly per book?

It varies, but not by too much:

DCF: 18
NCftPB: 12
W&XPs: 14
DStP: 17

Sir_Leorik
2013-08-12, 01:59 PM
Excessive amounts of garlic would work on either.

The only effect too much garlic has on Belkar is a bit of gas. And he'll stab out your kidneys for ruining whatever you cooked by overdoing the garlic.

Solara
2013-08-12, 02:00 PM
I know it's not going to happen, but man, I really want Tarquin to have no clue about the Gate being destroyed.

*makes awe-inspiring entrance with massive army*

"Gate's gone? ...well crap."

Bakkan
2013-08-12, 02:02 PM
Unless one of those wands Haley found is a Wand of Teleport (does such a thing even exist in D&D?) they can't. V can't cast Conjuration school spells, which Teleport is. Even if they found the flying carpet, I doubt they can outrun Tarquin's air support. Into the Rift might be the best plan after all.

Teleport is 5th level, and wands max out at 4th. So I don't think the wands are going to be effective towards escape.

Thokk_Smash
2013-08-12, 02:04 PM
Teleport is 5th level, and wands max out at 4th. So I don't think the wands are going to be effective towards escape.

Unless one of them lets her spam Dimension Door, but even then...:smalltongue:

SavageWombat
2013-08-12, 02:07 PM
What if she casts "3.0 Haste" and "3.0 Fly" on everyone? I mean, if Z can use house rules, Haley can steal them.

Psyren
2013-08-12, 02:08 PM
Unless one of those wands Haley found is a Wand of Teleport (does such a thing even exist in D&D?)

It does actually - wands can hold any level of spell.
Whoops, thinking of dorjes. Well, Dimension Door might be in one, and a few castings of that will get them some distance.

Isn't Z a Wizard?

He should have one, absolutely. Whether it is on his person or stowed somewhere is another question though. After all, he can teleport back home to read it (or summon it to him) while V can't do either of those things.

Sir_Leorik
Or you could read this thread and see where the Giant shot down that theory.

Yeah, I found that quote, and edited my post accordingly. :smallredface:

Sunken Valley
Ioun Stone Lady!

Hope we meet the other 3

Grimly Feendish
Is that Velociraptor cavalry on the flanks?

Thokk_Smash
2013-08-12, 02:09 PM

He should have one, absolutely. Whether it is on his person or stowed somewhere is another question though. After all, he can teleport back home to read it (or summon it to him) while V can't do either of those things.

Wands cap out at 4th level spells. Staffs, on the other hand, can hold any level of spell.

Psyren
2013-08-12, 02:09 PM
Wands cap out at 4th level spells. Staffs, on the other hand, can hold any level of spell.

See my edit (sheesh you people can pounce!)

silvadel
2013-08-12, 02:10 PM
You know I was just thinking. If it were not for the fact that the pyramid has been splattered in all directions, and the gate destroyed, with Durkon's current alignment he would have a lot more success in rezzing one of the mummified corpses.

HandofCrom
The only effect too much garlic has on Belkar is a bit of gas. And he'll stab out your kidneys for ruining whatever you cooked by overdoing the garlic.

That's crazy talk. There's no such thing as overdoing garlic.

WindStruck
I see three possibilities regarding headband-person's casting.

1. It's a Gate, the "cannot be opened to another point on the same plane; the spell works only for interplanar travel" clause waived because why is it even there in the first place (I would be tempted to houserule it away in a campaign), or gotten around via casting it twice.

2. This army actually was stashed on a different plane (seems unlikely but including it anyway).

3. It's not actually a Gate, just some other ability that allows for swift transportation of large numbers of creatures via a big gate-like hole in the air.

I, ah, kind of lean to #1, shall we say. Of course, that means they're a 17th+-level Wizard or 18th+-level Sorcerer so, yikes.

I've got another idea... it's magic!

DoctorIllithid
2013-08-12, 02:11 PM
Could this be more than just a force to secure the gate? What if Tarquin knew there was a world beyond the rift and intends to invade it?

I mean, obviously not feasible considering it's mostly ocean, but I suppose he could only know there was a world and not necessarily that the current gate just happened to open into a stretch of ocean.

Porthos
2013-08-12, 02:11 PM
You know I was just thinking. If it were not for the fact that the pyramid has been splattered in all directions, and the gate destroyed, with Durkon's current alignment he would have a lot more success in rezzing one of the mummified corpses.

You think they'll answer the call of someone Lawful Evil? I doubt it, personally. :smallamused:

Qwertystop
2013-08-12, 02:13 PM
Alternatively, the headband-person is actually a channeler from the Wheel of Time 'verse and that's a Travelling weave.

No, that'd be square from a rotating line, not a circle expanding from a smaller circle.

Thokk_Smash
2013-08-12, 02:14 PM
See my edit (sheesh you people can pounce!)

What can I say? I have Fast Movement infinity :smallbiggrin:

Saturosian
Huh. So much for the streak of luck for the Order. Also, it looks to me like Tarquin was probably aware that he was sending Nale and Tarquin in, and only getting one of them back.

Good strip.

Rakoa
You think they'll answer the call of someone Lawful Evil? I doubt it, personally. :smallamused:

I doubt the Draketooths had a problem with Good, or if they did it was a tiny grudge in comparison to their hatred for Law.

Burner28
That woman who accompanied Tarquin and who we saw in an earlier strip seems interesting. I wonder if her character will be important in the next saga.

Porthos
2013-08-12, 02:15 PM
I've got another idea... it's magic!

We get that. yes. :smalltongue: I even said as much earlier. :smallwink:

It's not like we are critizing The Giant or saying Yer Doin' It Wrong, Rich. In fact, none of us have done that.

It's more a function of HOLY CRAP!!! THAT'S A NINTH LEVEL SPELL THERE!!!

What occured afterwards was some discussion of which ninth level spell it was.

Either way, it's a bad sign for Team OotS. Which was the whole point of the side discussion.

Warren Dew
2013-08-12, 02:16 PM
*checks size of army*

Saaaaaay. Looks like Operation Leap Into The Rift is back on the table as option. :smalltongue:
Yes, that's an interesting option. Presumably the purpose of the army was to defeat Xykon for the gate, but now that the gate is gone and the rift is open, taking over another world does seem to be a possibility, if Tarquin wants to go back to that.

Scary... :)
I did not expected that. Now I believe Tarquin is going to be really angry. I don't think that even him could have predicted the current situation.

So, is the Order really headed into the portal?
The army might go into the portal, but I doubt the Order will. I don't see how it's scary; Tarquin and the Order are not at odds, so there's no real reason for them to fight.

Sir_Leorik
2013-08-12, 02:17 PM

Not in D&D 3.5. In 3.5 a wand is designed to store 50 charges of a single spell of 4th level or lower. You can only activate a wand if the spell stored in the wand is on your class' spell list, or you succeed on a Use Magic Device skill check. A newly made wand has 50 charges; when adventurers find wands they usually have less. Wands can not be recharged.

In AD&D a wand was a specific magic item: a Wand of Fire cast Fireball, Burning Hand and Flaming Sphere spells, and a Wand of Magic Missiles only cast Magic Missile spells. Wands can be recharged in AD&D.

In 4E wands are a type of Implement. Most wands hold an Encounter Attack Spell or Encounter Utility Spell from the Wizard, Warlock or Bard class Powers as a Daily Power. If you are proficient with Wand Implements, you can use a Wand as an Implement for any Power that requires an Implement, regardless of the Power Source (Arcane, Divine, Psionic, Primal or Shadow). Some Wands (usually Rare magic items) have special abilities which enhance a 1st Level At-Will Attack Spell (Magic Missile, Eyebite, etc.) and great the use of that Power as an Encounter Power. Wands have no charges in 4E; they grant a Daily Attack or Utility Power, or an Encounter Attack Power.

Porthos
2013-08-12, 02:17 PM
Yes, that's an interesting option. Presumably the purpose of the army was to defeat Xykon for the gate, but now that the gate is gone and the rift is open, taking over another world does seem to be a possibility, if Tarquin wants to go back to that.

Unless they brought along a lot of water wings, that might not be much of an option for Team Tarquin. :smallwink:

AutomatedTeller
2013-08-12, 02:18 PM
I think Tarquin just wants the biggest force in the area for the gate, since it's clearly important. Overwhelming force, in other words.

Hardcore
I figure Tarquins lines are from those Sci-fi movies, right? V***r I guess, but where and when? And which movies?

gorocz
That was my exact thought. I knew it had nothing to do with your thread, but it was fantastic coincidence that it should happen in such a short succession :smallsmile:

Note she has the same dweomer as Nale, and Rich said casters pick their magic colours. It would make sense if she was the one who taught Nale magic, as people have been speculating that all of Tarquin's party members were Nale's teachers.
Nale's a Sorcerer and I think sorcerers don't learn their spells, their spellcasting ability just manifests itself. At least that's how it went with Xykon. Wizards are the ones that study and learn for years and years to become masters of magic, while sorcerers are sort of idiot savants...

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who now has the Imperial March stuck in his head.
I actually had Ride of the Valkyries in my head. I always have to be a unique snowflake :smallbiggrin:

exenia
You know I was just thinking. If it were not for the fact that the pyramid has been splattered in all directions, and the gate destroyed, with Durkon's current alignment he would have a lot more success in rezzing one of the mummified corpses.I doubt it, accepting a rez from a lawful evil caster sounds like it would pretty much always be a bad idea. The ex-Draketooths may not even know what killed them, only that some sort of death magic wiped them all out. Now that the gate is gone, there isn't much reason to try raising them anyway.

Leirus
2013-08-12, 02:19 PM
So... Tarquin is going to conquest the New World, no?

I mean, I do not see any other reason for such an army. What does Tarquin know and how? The only other "people" who seemed to know about the planet were the IFFC...

Saturosian
2013-08-12, 02:20 PM

Honestly, my first thought was, 'huh, that's exactly how I always imagined traveling to look.' I was kind of hoping for deathgates or a big traveling weave that dropped an entire volcano on the target. (Were any of the channelers dark-haired? I'm sure there was one...) don't traveling weaves start with a line that rotates out, though?

And, yes, I know you weren't serious

Sir_Leorik
2013-08-12, 02:21 PM

Tell that to the 3 & 1/2' tall gourmet chef with the pair of daggers. :smalltongue:

Michaeler
2013-08-12, 02:21 PM
Regarding operation Leap-into-the-rift, what was the last known location of the flying carpet?

Shale
2013-08-12, 02:22 PM

I mean, I do not see any other reason for such an army. What does Tarquin know and how? The only other "people" who seemed to know about the planet were the IFFC...

He knows that there is (well, he thinks it's still there) a magical creation of enormous power situated inside the pyramid, that it can't be moved, and that an epic sorcerer lich is going to try to claim it. So he needs all the force he can muster to hold it. I really doubt he's aware that the gate has exploded.

Carl
2013-08-12, 02:25 PM
Very very unlikely to be "deliberate" but we shall see if it ends up being somewhat...similar, in at least one or two ways.

I was thinking the scene at the end of Attack of the Clones on Coruscant, not episode 3 where dooku get's betrayed;).

Raenir Salazar
2013-08-12, 02:25 PM

Just me? Oh dear.

Sup' Guys. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlTm0KDHbu8)

Porthos
2013-08-12, 02:26 PM
Regarding operation Leap-into-the-rift, what was the last known location of the flying carpet?

Seen being expelled from the pyramid when Team OotS originally tried to evade the Linear Guild's first attack, I believe. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0849.html)

Arkanist
Honestly, I think that it's a Teleportation Circle power, which the army is marching into. The aesthetic may not exactly be what was described in the SRD, though the Giant takes liberties with this stuff. And considering the level of power that has been consistent across Tarquin's party, I'm pretty worried about what might happen if Miron, Cat Girl, and Vest Man show up.

Leirus

Who knows. They were thrown out of it during 849 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0849.html). We do not even know if it just fell over the ziggurat and then was blowed up, so it could still be somewhere around, or if it kept flying and it is lost forever.

However, if Tarquin were to offer them some kind of devilish deal, he can always locate it (it was bugged).

ellindsey
2013-08-12, 02:27 PM

Tarquin started putting together this operation two days ago, before he left the city. He (probably) didn't even know about the Gates before Nale told him, and he almost certainly didn't know there was a world in it. As far as we know, the only people who knew that at the time were Blackwing and V.

I expect that the army was put together to secure the Gate and the region around it. At the time he put the army together and summoned his old adventuring buddies, the Gate hadn't been destroyed yet. He may or may not know as of comic 910 that the Gate has been destroyed, but figured that if he already had the army put together, might as well bring it over and seize control of the area anyway.

Leirus
2013-08-12, 02:29 PM
He knows that there is (well, he thinks it's still there) a magical creation of enormous power situated inside the pyramid, that it can't be moved, and that an epic sorcerer lich is going to try to claim it. So he needs all the force he can muster to hold it. I really doubt he's aware that the gate has exploded.

I do not know, the presence of his companion (maybe the full gang) and all those men make me think that he is going for conquest. Also, the fact that he seems to be about to drop some piece of background on Nale.

Of course, you might be right, and he is just there to hold the gate and he is going to impart Nale some life lesson insetad.

But I kind of like my option better, because it would take the plot to somewhere fully inexpected for me...

Tarquin started putting together this operation two days ago, before he left the city. He (probably) didn't even know about the Gates before Nale told him, and he almost certainly didn't know there was a world in it. As far as we know, the only people who knew that at the time were Blackwing and V.

I expect that the army was put together to secure the Gate and the region around it. At the time he put the army together and summoned his old adventuring buddies, the Gate hadn't been destroyed yet. He may or may not know as of comic 910 that the Gate has been destroyed, but figured that if he already had the army put together, might as well bring it over and seize control of the area anyway.

That is perfectly logical, and maybe it is in fact what it is going on here, but I would not be surprised if Tarquin knew more than what he let on. I kind of want to see him trying to conquer the new world. Although that particular portal opens up over an ocean... so yeah, you both will probably be right.

mucat
2013-08-12, 02:38 PM
I noticed that Mr. Scruffy is hissing at Durkon. Animals are instictively hostile to Vampires.
In this case, I think it's less instinct and more "Mr. Scruffy recently watched Durkon drinking Belkar's blood."

shadowpriest
2013-08-12, 02:41 PM
"Sonny, how many times did I tell you not to bother Uncle Malack?"
"But daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad..."

Fish
2013-08-12, 02:41 PM
Everyone keeps saying, "Tarquin was totally scrying on the pyramid."

How?

Zz'dtri couldn't use divination to find the valley directly. Durkon couldn't use Find Tha Path. Either Tarquin has access to scrying well, well beyond Girard's power to block it, or he wasn't scrying.

eaglewingz
2013-08-12, 02:42 PM
Who cares?

New around these parts, are ya?

Easier to sift the sand of the Great Barren Desert grain-by-grain than win that battle.

Anarion
2013-08-12, 02:43 PM
Very nice comic. "Ooh wands" is the D&D equivalent of hanging a gun on the wall for later and Tarquin's entrance has entered the running for most intimidating splash panel.

I'm wondering what got him to reevaluate his need for an army, though. That's a big enough force that just grabbing it into the middle of the desert is going to require explaining why they're there at some point if Tarquin wants to maintain his political ruse.

SoC175
2013-08-12, 02:43 PM
Why not just use one Teleportation Circle? Gate is 1 round/level and has to go to another plane, teleportation circle lasts far longer and can go to the same plane.To small to take huge siege weapons and dragons with you

Toper
2013-08-12, 02:46 PM
He does. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0801.html) Several (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0793.html) of (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0767.html) them. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0768.html)
Ah, true. I was just about to post with Dave's buddy as well, but you were much more thorough. So it's probably not a prejudice of Tarquin's; lizardfolk just aren't in this particular battalion, perhaps because Rich didn't feel like drawing tiny snouts today. :smallcool:

Amphiox
2013-08-12, 02:49 PM

Once bitten, twice shy.:smallbiggrin:

Ustauk
2013-08-12, 02:51 PM
Ah, true. I was just about to post with Dave's buddy as well, but you were much more thorough. So it's probably not a prejudice of Tarquin's; lizardfolk just aren't in this particular battalion, perhaps because Rich didn't feel like drawing tiny snouts today. :smallcool:

I hope the Giant drew the army panel as a larger image and shrank it; it'd make a sweet background if he released it :)

Kislath
2013-08-12, 02:51 PM
Xykon is probably already at the last gate.
Stopping him is something that the OOTS and Tarquin both want.
The Linear Guild is pretty much finished.
The rift is open, allowing Tarquin his first glimpse inside it.
It's gonna take an army like Tarquin's to stop Xykon.
Tarquin likes Elan and respects Roy.

Prediction time:
I see a team-up happening, one with a lot of internal squabbling and backstabbing treachery.

Amphiox
2013-08-12, 02:52 PM

Who cares?

I'm going with "Headband Girl researched an army-moving spell because that's the business they are in." Done.

Darth V had to use an Epic Teleport to move the Azure City fleet, and supposedly the ability to teleport an entire army around was an epic-level gamebreaking-type ability that was what made that particular Evil Soul so dangerous in life.

Since we are seeing Headband Girl do essentially the same thing with what appears to be "just" a 9th Level spell, there must be some kind of drawback to it compared to Epic Teleport. It probably really does take two castings to move that many forces around.

Peelee
2013-08-12, 02:52 PM
Tarquin is far too savvy to not already know about Malack, the gate, Z, and probably even TE and the sand elemental.

The bigger question is whether he'll want to bring Nale into the strike team, abandon him in the desert, or execute him on the spot. Heck, we can't even tell yet whether he's unhappy at Nale's treachery, or simply that he fumbled it and got chased off instead of working it into total victory.
Please tell me the difference between "genre savvy" and "knowing absolutely everything that happens, up to and including whatever current strip he's on, for no reason whatsoever." Because that seems to be the case more often than not when people call Tarquin "genre savvy," and you have literally exemplified this.

Tell that to the 3 & 1/2' tall gourmet chef with the pair of daggers. :smalltongue:
Any lover of food will tell you there can never be too much garlic, chefs be damned.

FlawedParadigm
2013-08-12, 02:53 PM
Obviously that's a Trump Gate. [/reference]

GSFB
2013-08-12, 02:54 PM
What do we know about Malack's staff? Could it have Word of Recall?

If so, what happens if Durkon uses it? Does it Recall to Malack's quarters?

stsasser
2013-08-12, 02:54 PM
Well, the plan (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0822.html) always did involve bringing in Empire of Blood troops to secure Girard's gate. But Tarquin doesn't know that the gate has been destroyed, and I suspect Nale is about to feed him a bunch of lies about how the Order wrecked it and then killed Malack.

Well, Nale wouldn't actually have to lie about the Order wrecking the Gate.

Belkar raising the moral objection to employing Durkon is a bit surprising.

Besides the whole 'eating me' thing, I've wondered if there is going to be some 'Hey, I've been the OotS' Bad Boy all this time and now Snaggletooth McBandwagon is going to cut into my act?!?' feelings.:smallwink:

Wonderful comic.

SoC175
2013-08-12, 02:55 PM
Everyone keeps saying, "Tarquin was totally scrying on the pyramid."

How?

Zz'dtri couldn't use divination to find the valley directly. Durkon couldn't use Find Tha Path. Either Tarquin has access to scrying well, well beyond Girard's power to block it, or he wasn't scrying.Well, Tarkin has higher level casters than Zz'dtri and Durkon

Porthos
2013-08-12, 02:56 PM
Since we are seeing Headband Girl do essentially the same thing with what appears to be "just" a 9th Level spell, there must be some kind of drawback to it compared to Epic Teleport. It probably really does take two castings to move that many forces around.

It's not instantaneous, it has a limited area of effect (things have to squeeze in a 20 feet diamater hole), and it requires concentration to keep the Gate up.

That is what separates it from Epic Teleport, IMO.

ETA: This spell seems to be half-way between Teleportion Circle and Gate.

If it is a modified Gate spell it would last a less amount of time than Teleportation Circle, still require concentration, but have a larger diameter than Teleportation Circle.

Seems to be in the ballpark of a 9th level spell to me.

Quorothorn
2013-08-12, 02:57 PM
Honestly, my first thought was, 'huh, that's exactly how I always imagined traveling to look.' I was kind of hoping for deathgates or a big traveling weave that dropped an entire volcano on the target. (Were any of the channelers dark-haired? I'm sure there was one...) don't traveling weaves start with a line that rotates out, though?

And, yes, I know you weren't serious

:smallbiggrin:

And yes, there were certainly dark-haired channelers: I mean, Moiraine, obviously. And also yes, travelling weave's appearance is not consistent with the gate shown here, of course, differetn starting points and square versus circle. Though the image "fits" outside that geometric detailing.

silvadel
2013-08-12, 02:58 PM

Yes because that would be the alignment a paladin would least likely have access to.

Shale
2013-08-12, 03:00 PM
And yet they're still evil. Just because Girard hated paladins doesn't mean he thought everybody else in the world was just peachy.

DeadMG
2013-08-12, 03:01 PM
Oh ****. And the Order has no teleportation.

Porthos
2013-08-12, 03:01 PM
Yes because that would be the alignment a paladin would least likely have access to.

No, that would be CE. :smallwink:

Either way, you are presuming they only hate paladins. I don't make that presumption myself. :smalltongue:

Fayolynn
2013-08-12, 03:02 PM
Could this be more than just a force to secure the gate? What if Tarquin knew there was a world beyond the rift and intends to invade it?

I mean, obviously not feasible considering it's mostly ocean, but I suppose he could only know there was a world and not necessarily that the current gate just happened to open into a stretch of ocean.

Based on what Blackwing saw the planet in the rift seems to pretty evenly split between land and ocean.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0672.html

Amphiox
2013-08-12, 03:02 PM
A question now is, has Tarquin gathered his whole team, or is he just with Ioun Stone Girl or one or two others?

I've been thinking for a while that part of Team Tarquin's "standing protocols" is that they should never all be gathered in the same place doing the same thing, that way there is no risk whatsoever of accidentally giving their game away, and they will never be vulnerable to a TPK, and they can act as each other's last ditch fallback if things go fubar, even if it just for one group to recover another group's body parts for Resurrection purposes. (Though that didn't help Malack any....)

It would be a neat subversion of the "don't split the party" standing wisdom, and the kind of pre-planning Tarquin might do.

Amphiox
2013-08-12, 03:04 PM

But what if the member of T's party actually casting the resurrection spell was Chaotic Neutral?

IW Judicator
2013-08-12, 03:06 PM
Oh...my....Thor...

Bear with me for a moment now...but here's what I'm seeing atm:

1. There is a Tarquin. With an Army.
2. There is no Rift Gate here.
3. Tarquin (presumably) knows there's more than one Gate.
4. Specifically, there is one Gate left. In the Dwarven Homelands.
5. It'd be shame to let the mobilizing of a force like that go to waste.

Call it unlikely, but perhaps this is the death and destruction referred to in Durkon's prophecy.

EDIT: *Ninja'ed a couple pages back...

Oko and Qailee
2013-08-12, 03:08 PM
I flat out, Oh my gosh'ed out loud.

Just, wow.

Tarquin, isn't that a bit overkill?

ShadowFireLance
2013-08-12, 03:09 PM
WOOT! Dinosaurs!
He knows whats awesome.

Porthos
2013-08-12, 03:09 PM
Oh...my....Thor...

Call it unlikely, but perhaps this is the death and destruction referred to in Durkon's prophecy.

I'd say he'd have to cross the ocean (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0639.html), but I suppose that is just one more Ioun Stone Caster's Amazing Army Moving Spell away from being crossed in one fell swoop, even if they don't know the exact location of Kraagor's Gate. :smallwink:

Oko and Qailee
2013-08-12, 03:10 PM
It's not instantaneous, it has a limited area of effect (things have to squeeze in a 20 feet diamater hole), and it requires concentration to keep the Gate up.

That is what separates it from Epic Teleport, IMO.

ETA: This spell seems to be half-way between Teleportion Circle and Gate.

If it is a modified Gate spell it would lasts a less amount of time than Teleportation Circle, still require concentration, but has a larger diameter than Teleportation Circle.

Seems to be in the ballpark of a 9th level spell to me.

Epic teleport can also bypass cloister, any non epic teleportation can't.

I know that cloister is homebrewed, but hey, there's a benefit!

TRH
2013-08-12, 03:12 PM
I flat out, Oh my gosh'ed out loud.

Just, wow.

You kidding? Most of those soldiers are probably level one Warriors. Belkar could probably take all of the foot soldiers by himself if he weren't drained. Tarquin and his spellcaster friend, though, they're trouble.

Oh, and since I didn't bring it up before, IT'S ABOUT TIME Tarquin changed his armor away from that garish purple. He actually looks like a general again! :smallbiggrin:

Italian Hippy
2013-08-12, 03:12 PM
Alright... I don't usually post on here, although I should have done so after the latest IMPRESSIVE story twists... but the last panel literally made me cry out loud "HOOOOOOO-LYYYYYYY S**T!!!". Wife actually was worried and asked me "What's the matter, sweetheart?"

Dracon1us
2013-08-12, 03:17 PM
Oh...my....Thor...

exactly my thoughts

that was...unexpected
2 things matters in life: power, and style.

mr T really has both

Shining Wrath
2013-08-12, 03:24 PM
I'm sure they do have a lot to talk about. Such as: what, exactly, is that army marching to attack? And how much does Dad know about what Nale's been up to (my guess: enough)?

And when is V going to show up and put those wands to good use? L15 full caster ought to be able to take out an entire army given enough wands, right?

Oko and Qailee
2013-08-12, 03:25 PM
Inb4Tarquinjoinsthemtotravelnorth

Harry Leipzig
2013-08-12, 03:26 PM
Okay, so here is Tarquin's force as seen from the last panel:
-1 high-level Fighter on a Triceratops
-At least 20 troops (4 groups of 5) on Megaraptors
-At least 2 troops on Tyrannosauruses
-At least 9 troops on Pteranodons
-At least 350 (2 columns, 5 across, 35 deep, more rows visible within portal)
-God only knows how many more Megaraptor teams, Pteranodon squadrons, T. Rex riders, and divisions on the other side of the portal
-1 arcane spellcaster with the levels, spell, and feats necessary to make a portal large enough for all of them to get through at a standard march pace

I think the evidence is sufficient to prove the assertion that the Order is up a creek of hellfire without a paddle. Oh good Lord.
:smalleek:

Rogar Demonblud
2013-08-12, 03:27 PM

[Hannibal Smith]Overkill is underrated.[/Hannibal Smith]

Also, am I the only one wondering if Durkon's deal with the barbed devil includes it summoning f(r)iends if ordered?

noesis
2013-08-12, 03:27 PM
Holy cow I love this dialogue:

Roy: Look, we're shorthanded and he wants to help. We could use it.

Belkar: What about Durkon?

Roy: That IS Durkon.

Belkar: No it isn't!!

Roy: It's Durkon enough for our purposes.

To me that last line just screams the kind of compromise-for-the-sake-of-expediency that tends to bite the heroes in the end. I kind of hope it turns out that way, too, because even though Roy goes on to express a desire to resurrect Durkon later (and makes the sensible case that having Durkon's body around casting spells is good in the meantime), in the immediate context his expressed view is that what's "Durkon enough" is determined by the contents of a stat sheet. That doesn't reflect well at all on Roy, IMHO, at least in the context of the story, even if it is a pretty common attitude for gamers to have about the characters of the members of their party (that is, generally speaking, we don't mourn our fallen comrades' absent foibles and personal strivings; we mourn their missing spell slots).

At this point, Belkar and Scruffy's suspicions of Durkula are unfounded (I mean, Durkula attacked Belkar, but as a thrall, not as the free-willed vampire he is now). But there is so much potential for Durkon to become a quasi-antagonist within the party. That would make for awesome sub-plot material, imho. My fingers are crossed that Belkar and Scruffy aren't wrong.

Admittedly, though, some other developments in this most recent strip suggest that the plot may be a bit preoccupied in the short term. :smallwink:

Greatmoustache
2013-08-12, 03:31 PM

Just me? Oh dear.

well, i heard imperial march in my head. does that count?

Ellye
2013-08-12, 03:31 PM
Loved the dialogue between Roy and Belkar.

Edit: If Tarquin decides to go North after he finds out that this gate was destroyed, what are the chances that he would invite the Order of the Stick to tag along with him?
Without some sort of teleportation, the Order would be waaay behind Team Evil. Tarquin can offer the Gate that they need.

Harry Leipzig
2013-08-12, 03:32 PM
To me that last line just screams the kind of compromise-for-the-sake-of-expediency that tends to bite the heroes in the end.
Good, I'm not the only one who got a queasy feeling in their stomach when Roy said that. This smells too much like the flying-by-the-seat-of-our-pants style that has lead to bad, bad, situations for the team. Like, oh I don't know, Roy deciding that he may as well go after Xykon when he was on a zombie dragon? :smallmad:

This rationale will have bad consequences. Who wants to bet that in the Dwarven homeland, Durkon loses control of his hunger and fully drains somebody he cared about? :smallfrown:

ellindsey
2013-08-12, 03:32 PM
-At least 2 troops on Tyrannosauruses

Nitpick: Those are probably Allosauruses (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0784.html).

Caesar
2013-08-12, 03:33 PM
Dinosaur Army!!!

I just knew we would see one, because all great and epic tales get to that point at some.. point.

I LOVE YOU, GIANT!!!!
(that panel with elan running in to see the dinosaur stables? thats me)

Jordan Cat
2013-08-12, 03:35 PM
Dang, Tarquin knows how to come back in style.

well, i heard imperial march in my head. does that count?

YES! I'm not the only one :smallsmile: