PDA

View Full Version : Face-Off (Season 5)

MikelaC1
2013-08-12, 01:54 PM
I just got finished watching, over the weekend, the entire season 4 of Face-Off and am now looking forward to season 5 starting this week on Space. Not only is this series really interesting in showing how some of the movie monsters are made, it is SO refreshing to see a competition show on TV that is not filled with backstabbing, petty jealousy, evil alliances and all the other crap that dominates reality TV. These people are competing with each other for sure, but they dont indulge in the cattiness, and in fact they help out their oppponents on numerous occasions. Someone is having a hard time getting a mould apart or handling a too huge piece, they come in and give a hand; when they walk past someone else's station, they give constructive criticism and useful advice. Its about the only show of its kind in that regard.
Anyone else watch this series?

Morph Bark
2013-08-12, 02:00 PM
Nope, but now I kind of want to see at least one episode of it.

Mando Knight
2013-08-12, 02:12 PM
They have it on Hulu.

I've been meaning to watch more of it, I caught a couple episodes on Syfy and then streamed another, but I haven't watched much more than that.

t209
2013-08-12, 02:18 PM
So Syfy's getting back on its genre track? I kind like these shows instead of whinning toddlers and TLC shows (luckily TLC Asia is a bit more like cooking show and travel channel). Strange thing that why I like Pawn Stars (probably my hatred for Item Shop Economy in RPG Games).

Mordar
2013-08-12, 07:15 PM
So Syfy's getting back on its genre track? I kind like these shows instead of whinning toddlers and TLC shows (luckily TLC Asia is a bit more like cooking show and travel channel). Strange thing that why I like Pawn Stars (probably my hatred for Item Shop Economy in RPG Games).

Sad, isn't it, that so many channels have fled the purpose that drove their inception. Consider that TLC ("The Learning Channel" now really only features opportunities to learn about the value of enforced contraception... er..dysfunctional 'families' with money, small children in "beauty" contests or rubes getting bilked) set the standard in this regard, but we now get to "Discover(y)" everything we wanted to know about a backwoods moonshiner named Tickle...don't get me started on the History Channel... :smallannoyed::smalleek::smallmad:

Anyway, some of the costumes look very very cool...does the show focus on the competition (which I would prefer) or is it rife with the "human interest" element that taints so many of these kinds of shows?*

- M

* - Is it a competition with a winner determined on the outcome of the event alone, or is a voting contest where that fact that "Mary's mother is in rehab for the fourth time and Mary is taking care of her 17 brothers and sisters while making costumes for MangaGrrlsOnline to pay for diapers" will carry the day?

MikelaC1
2013-08-12, 08:20 PM
Anyway, some of the costumes look very very cool...does the show focus on the competition (which I would prefer) or is it rife with the "human interest" element that taints so many of these kinds of shows?*

- M

* - Is it a competition with a winner determined on the outcome of the event alone, or is a voting contest where that fact that "Mary's mother is in rehab for the fourth time and Mary is taking care of her 17 brothers and sisters while making costumes for MangaGrrlsOnline to pay for diapers" will carry the day?

There is no voting, the winner is decided by the opinion of 3 judges, one of whom owns an optical studio, one who is a 3 time Oscar winner for make up and a creature designer.

Lateral
2013-08-12, 10:55 PM
There is no voting, the winner is decided by the opinion of 3 judges, one of whom owns an optical studio, one who is a 3 time Oscar winner for make up and a creature designer.

Well, occasionally there's voting. I think season 3 had a vote for the finale, while I don't remember there being one in season 4.