PDA

View Full Version : The world in the rift - theory and possible spoiler

GSFB
2013-08-12, 03:00 PM
When Blackwing sees into the rift, he sees a world. Looking into the rift now, the Order sees an ocean. Why the difference? I have a theory. As the gates are destroyed, whatever power was holding the snarl at bay is weakened - meaning the snarl is able to come closer. If the snarl's form is a world, then we see an ocean now because the snarl-world is closer to the OotS world than before. So if the last gate is destroyed, the snarl-world can come close enough to spill into the OotS world - worlds colliding could certainly destroy each other and all life on them. I know there needs to be more to it than this, so any additional thoughts?

Thrax
2013-08-12, 03:51 PM
I think the gates are just kind of "wormholes". Different gates lead to different points around the world inside the rifts. What it means for Snarl, I have no idea - it can mean anything.

Solse
2013-08-13, 11:12 AM
I think that it means that the Snarl was able to take all of the threads of reality that it was comprised of and form a new world with it.

Trisk
2013-08-13, 11:13 AM
It's us, we're the snarl. It's the 'real world' and things are all very meta.

(or it's just a modern earth in general and slightly less meta)

NerdyKris
2013-08-13, 11:24 AM
It's us, we're the snarl. It's the 'real world' and things are all very meta.

(or it's just a modern earth in general and slightly less meta)

It is not our earth. The Giant has explicitly stated that.

David Argall
2013-08-13, 03:44 PM
When Blackwing sees into the rift, he sees a world. Looking into the rift now, the Order sees an ocean. Why the difference? I have a theory. As the gates are destroyed, whatever power was holding the snarl at bay is weakened - meaning the snarl is able to come closer. If the snarl's form is a world, then we see an ocean now because the snarl-world is closer to the OotS world than before. So if the last gate is destroyed, the snarl-world can come close enough to spill into the OotS world - worlds colliding could certainly destroy each other and all life on them. I know there needs to be more to it than this, so any additional thoughts?
The worlds collide idea is possible, but we have two books to go. So if one is on the destruction of the last gate, the last will be stopping the collision, or making it survivable. How we will have to wait about 300 strips to find out.

GSFB
2013-08-13, 07:32 PM
Even if not "worlds collide," is there merit to the notion that the reason there an ocean view now but an outer space view before is that breaking the gates has allowed whatever-the-world-is to come closer to the rifts?

Tock Zipporah
2013-08-14, 12:09 AM
Maybe the world we see is just the OotS world, and space is being folded into itself, so they're looking down on the very world they're standing on. If the universe is an "infinite expanse," but that expanse is shrinking and collapsing upon itself, then a rift inside the planet could lead to the outside and let you look back down on the world itself.

Shred-Bot
2013-08-15, 05:28 AM
*Gasp*

Perhaps the snarl is Ego the Living Planet! (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ego_the_Living_Planet)

DeliaP
2013-08-15, 06:20 AM
*Gasp*

Perhaps the snarl is Ego the Living Planet! (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ego_the_Living_Planet)

Just so long as it ain't the Mortiverse (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?164660-Why-did-I-do-this-Because-I-could).

drazen
2013-08-15, 06:44 AM
Perhaps the gates are not keeping the Snarl out, but rather, locking the OOTS world in. The fiends of this world have stated outright that their goal is to increase the "destructive, unnecessary conflict" in the world and then storm the Upper Planes.

What if the Snarl actually became the OOTS world, which is why the laws of physics became the rules of D&D? It was trapped in order, but didn't understand, so instead of physics formulas, it used RPG rules.

The gods themselves could have opened the rifts specifically to trick the Scribble into sealing and defending them. and spread the legend. After all, if they have a total information blackout on the Snarl, how did Soon Kim ever know that it slayed the never-before-known Eastern gods (considering there are seemingly only two continents on the OOTS planet, one of which has North/South gods and the other is West)? Perhaps the real plan of The Dark One isn't to conquer this world, but the other one.

Certainly, something doesn't check out with the Crayons of Time story. I'm inclined to agree with Roy - I think that most or all of what they've been told isn't true at all.