PDA

View Full Version : how would you make these characters?

jlousivy
2006-12-16, 02:59 AM
Vash - Trigun
Goku - DBZ
Ed - Full metal Alchemist

preferably playable from level 1, if not no later than 5.
i know they simply cannot be AS GOOD as they are in the animes, but... the same flavor would be great.
any and all help is of course appreciated :smallsmile:

icke
2006-12-17, 10:45 AM
I don't think You need to invent special classes or something for these guys.
Try out the Gaming (d20 and General RPG) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30) forum and post your idea there.

fangthane
2006-12-17, 12:58 PM
Dunno about the first and third, but for Dragonball it's easy...
Constipation
By acting as if constipated as a full round action (grimacing, grunting and standing perfectly still) Goku is able to grant himself a temporary transformation to Saiyan which carries with it +8 bonuses to armor, natural armor, attack and damage rolls, and unnamed bonuses of +4 to all ability scores, skill checks and saving throws. This transformation lasts for two minutes and leaves Goku fatigued
Special: at level 5, Goku is able to trigger an additional, secondary transformation to super-saiyan and receives identical, but fully stacking, bonuses.

And the one word to describe DBZ?

Camembert. :smallbiggrin:

jlousivy
2006-12-17, 01:21 PM
Constipation.
classic.

as for moving it to the Gaming(d20 and General RPG) forum i thought since a few of the characters would have abilities/qualities not in standard d&d, it'd be here
ie: Ed's Metal Arm that he can transform
also, that none of them use armour, but i can't really see ed or vash as a monk

Triaxx
2006-12-17, 05:18 PM
Could the arm act as if under a 'Magical Weapon' Spell?

Gnomick
2006-12-18, 02:31 PM
Without creating new material, you can only approximate those characters.

Edward and Alphonse Elric -
Set FMA in Karnath, during the last few years of the Last War. The boys grew up in a remote corner of the Karnathi country side. Even the great plague that swept Karnath took it's time getting to their doorstep, but when it did it took their mother.

Edward and Alphonse practice wizardry. When they attempt to bring their mother back, they use a powerful necromantic spell. They botch the casting (they were using a scroll left hidden in their father's desk) and the backlash kills Al, takes Ed's arm, and gives Ed a glimpse of Dol Ur. Using the knowledge of life and death gleaned by seeing into Dol Ur, Ed binds Al's soul to a "dead" warforged.

Automail is replaced by warforged-grafts (Faiths Of Eberron). Pinako and Winry are human artificers.

Ed goes and signs up with the Karnathi military in order to gain access to the research materials needed to learn the spells which can get Al his body back. Ed is a human wizard/fighter/eldritch knight with a warforged-graft arm and leg, specializing in transmutation and barring enchantement and illusion. Al is a warforged wizard/fighter/spellsword/eldricht knight, and doesn't specialize.

Scar is a Valenar elf monk/ranger/occult slayer with a DM-granted plot-device/magic-item in his arm (touch range disintegrate x/day). You could replicate it with a convoluted combination of psionic tatoos (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20031225a), but KISS.

Red stones are cursed pearls of power.

The Day Of Mourning can be an attempt to create the true philosopher's stone (magic item of wish with a dozen charges). The terrible secret of furher Bradely and Dante can be replaced with the terrible secret of king Kiaus and Errandis d'Vol. Dol Ur can replace the gate, and the other side can simply be another campaign setting.

Son Goku -
Goku is not human. I can't quite recall if there's a race that looks nearly human, but has a nice bonus to strength, dexterity, and constitution.

Regardless of class, Goku is very high level by the middle of Dragonball Z. He could be a warlock. He could be a monk10/psychic warrior 10. He could be a monk10/wilder 10. He could be a monk4/sorcerer6/enlightened fist 10. He could be a swordsage10/wilder10. He could be a monk10/fist of zuoken 10. There are a suprisingly large number of ways to be a blaster that flies around and can also punch the daylights out of things.

Vash The Stampede -
Vash is also not human. Half celestial kind of works, if you ignore the wings.

Vash is also very high level. He's been around for almost a century, and has a lot of experiance fighting. He can be easily built in D20 Modern, using the D20 Future supliment for cybernetics rules. However, in D&D he could be a monk/rogue, or a swordsage/rogue. The master thrower prestige class fits him well, if you assume in the absence of guns he uses thrown weapons. He probably has multiple warforged grafts. His angel arm can be a warforged graft with a wand sheith and a wand of maximized empowered enlarged widened explosive sonic substitution sonic admixture fireball. The big glowy-ness is just flavor text.

StickMan
2006-12-18, 04:40 PM
For Ed I would use the artifice from Ebberon, there is a warforge arm graph from Faiths of Ebberon or Arm of Nyr from one of the 3ed class books. Goku I would have to say Monk/ Sorcerer/Enlightened Fist. Goku would be Epic Level of course. And I don't know the other one.

Darth Stabber
2009-03-26, 12:32 PM
Goku would require a wilder/monk PrC.

What adds up to what
Lightning fast attacking and moving = Flurry of blows + TWF couting both fists + monk speed increases

Sizable energy attacks, that can very, but not that many variations = Wilder Powers

Channeling lifeforce into attacks = Wild surge or Overchannel.