PDA

View Full Version : class question for Pre Bone Knight

JungleChicken
2013-08-12, 05:29 PM
Hello all.

I've been planning on making a Bone Knight and had spent the last few days planning on Paladin into Bone Knight after level 4. I just really like the Bone Knight theme and flavor.

Recently I have been thinking of Cleric into Bone Knight. I like the idea of mounted combat and the synergy of the paladin there is really pulling at me.

On another note the 9/10 spell progression tells me to go cleric even though I won't be able to enter the class for awhile. (We should be starting the campaign at level 4 or 5)

I was toying with cleric domain idea like darkness, war, fate, and sloth

thoughts or opinions?

Rebel7284
2013-08-12, 05:48 PM
Planning and Undeath are always popular if you want some all-day buffs. :) In this case, super flavorful too!

JaronK
2013-08-12, 06:28 PM
I'm a fan of Ur Priest/PrC Paladin of Tyranny/Bone Knight, if you can make that work. Makes it very easy to get full casting out of it. You'll need a few other levels to fit the prerequisites... Fighter works, but Hexblade 4 is also worth considering.

JaronK

JungleChicken
2013-08-12, 11:40 PM
Yeah, my original plan was Paladin of tyranny to bone knight as soon as possible.

I have been just scrolling through Domains and Hatred, Undeath, and Hunger all look fun. I haven't seen planning yet.

My friends and I all like Eberron and I just plain like Karnath. I like the idea of being a true patriot willing to met out retribution. I also am not sure if anybody is leaning toward a cleric, although healing won't be my thing. That could be a problem in the long run.

Rebel7284
2013-08-13, 12:00 AM
Yeah, my original plan was Paladin of tyranny to bone knight as soon as possible.

I have been just scrolling through Domains and Hatred, Undeath, and Hunger all look fun. I haven't seen planning yet.

My friends and I all like Eberron and I just plain like Karnath. I like the idea of being a true patriot willing to met out retribution. I also am not sure if anybody is leaning toward a cleric, although healing won't be my thing. That could be a problem in the long run.

Planning Domain is in the Spell Compendium, page 278.

It's good because extend spell, while being a reasonably good feat to begin with, is a prerequisite to Persistent Spell.

Divine Metamagic feat allows you to spend turning attempts to apply metamagic feats. Therefore, after taking the planning domain, you are only two feats away from making a few of your personal range buffs last all day by applying persistent spell to them. =)

Ur Priest is an interesting alternative because, even though it can only be entered after level 5, it has its own divine casting that progresses faster than a clerics. If you think the campaign will last for a while, Ur Priest is going to reach peak power faster.

CyberThread
2013-08-13, 12:37 AM
Wouldn't a Paladin of Tyaranny Disqualify itself for Ur-Priest, or the very least, break the code of conduct for the paladin.

Either way, you are stealing power from that which is granting you it, or you are not being very lawful from no longer the god that sponsers you and just siphoning his power anyways.

JungleChicken
2013-08-13, 01:31 AM
Wouldn't a Paladin of Tyaranny Disqualify itself for Ur-Priest, or the very least, break the code of conduct for the paladin.

Either way, you are stealing power from that which is granting you it, or you are not being very lawful from no longer the god that sponsers you and just siphoning his power anyways.

I have to agree thematically. While I like the Ur priest it just doesn't fit thematically. I have been looking and a thinking definitely a cleric of War and maybe undeath or retribution...although force looks very fun but not a thematic fit.

The theme is a military guy from a nation that has seen more years of war than peace....and from a nation that has huge armies of conscripted undead

Rebel7284
2013-08-13, 07:22 AM

Paladins go off of a code of conduct. I see nothing wrong with a code of conduct including disdain for the divine. They would lose any divine casting, so 1-2 level 1 slots if you take it to 4. :)

JaronK
2013-08-13, 12:26 PM

Paladins don't have to be devoted to a god do they? Just an idea. You're a paladin devoted to your own tyrannical rule over the world, and as such would never bend a knee to a god for hand outs. Others bend their knees to you.

And note that I was saying PrC Paladin of Tyranny, as in the PrC Paladin from UA. So your build looks something like Hexblade 4/X1/Ur Priest 2/PrC Paladin of Tyranny 3/Bone Knight 10.

You end up being something like an undead centric Dr Doom.

JaronK

CyberThread
2013-08-13, 12:55 PM
Depends, what seeing Eberron no, forgotten realms You need to

I guess if your a evil pally, the ur priest could be stealing power from good gods and not ruin your code of conduct as a evil pally.

Am curoius though if your a CE pally, what code of conduct do you have when your an outright lunatic ?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-08-13, 01:02 PM
Depends, what seeing Eberron no, forgotten realms You need to

I guess if your a evil pally, the ur priest could be stealing power from good gods and not ruin your code of conduct as a evil pally.

Am curoius though if your a CE pally, what code of conduct do you have when your an outright lunatic ?

Given as the OP has specifically stated that he's using the Eberron Campaign Setting...

Also,
A paladin of slaughter must be of chaotic evil alignment and loses all class abilities if she ever willingly commits a good act. Additionally, a paladin of slaughter's code requires that she disrespect all authority figures who have not proven their physical superiority to her, refuse help to those in need, and sow destruction and death at all opportunities.

CyberThread
2013-08-13, 01:22 PM
<-< the fact that is missing the S, makes that quotation all the more funny,and, disturbing.

True bone knight is from eberron so that was a silly statement on my part.

JungleChicken
2013-08-13, 03:43 PM
hey who that guy on the horse laughing?

SHH!! he might hear you.
That's that slaughter guy I was telling you about.
He really takes to heart that saying "You can't spell slaughter without laughter."

Real creepy dude

Rebel7284
2013-08-13, 03:47 PM
I wish Paladin of Tyranny 4/ Bone Knight 1 qualified for Ur priest. Would be a great way to make a gish that doesn't lose any Ur Priest caster levels. Alas, not enough base will save.

JungleChicken
2013-08-13, 03:58 PM
I do love how the Paladin of Tyranny just lends itself to the Bone Knight fluff.

I just can't decide if the extra utility of a being a cleric and waiting those extra levels to get into Bone Knight are worth it. Just so torn on the issue.

if I go Pal/4 Bone Knight and we ever play to high level then I was thinking consecrated harrier for the last few levels. It just seems to fit the theme. That or finish with cleric

JaronK
2013-08-13, 04:48 PM
I wish Paladin of Tyranny 4/ Bone Knight 1 qualified for Ur priest. Would be a great way to make a gish that doesn't lose any Ur Priest caster levels. Alas, not enough base will save.

Hexblade gives you the will save, and with the Dark Companion substitution it also adds on more stacking save debuffs. So, Ranger 2/Hexblade 4/Ur Priest 2/PrC Paladin of Tyranny 2/Bone Knight 10 should work nicely. You get full casting from Ur Priest (in fact you overdo it). And you become a nice hunter of the weak character.

JaronK

Rebel7284
2013-08-13, 06:34 PM
Hexblade gives you the will save, and with the Dark Companion substitution it also adds on more stacking save debuffs. So, Ranger 2/Hexblade 4/Ur Priest 2/PrC Paladin of Tyranny 2/Bone Knight 10 should work nicely. You get full casting from Ur Priest (in fact you overdo it). And you become a nice hunter of the weak character.

JaronK

Right, there are a bunch of ways to do this. I was attempting to remove the lost caster level by taking it before Ur Priest while not delaying Ur Priest.

JungleChicken
2013-08-13, 07:44 PM
I like a little simplicity in my overall character. By that I mean I don't usually like more than 2 or 3 classes total.

I mean many classes have to do with ways of life, initiations into secret orders, devotion to a god,cause, concept.

When I read some of the 5-6 class characters I just have to wonder what was the character thinking. I get that you can get some good optimization out of it all but it's just not for me.

JungleChicken
2013-08-15, 01:04 AM
Think I have finally made up my mind.

Cleric into Bone Knight as soon as possible, which I believe is lvl 6 or 7 off the top of my head.
Domains of War and Undeath. Not sure if a single deity fits this but I'm more than sure the GM will agree that a Karnathi soldier Cleric would naturally lean toward those domains and allow them as the basis for my belief system. This ties right into the flavor of the Bone Knight as well. Was thinking Great Flail as my weapon because who wouldn't want to see a guy in heavy bone armor flinging a bowling ball on a chain around?