PDA

View Full Version : Ground Sundering Build

Arkusus
2013-08-12, 06:49 PM
So, in my game, I mentioned an idea that one of my player's liked, and they have picked up two feats and a special weapon that make them particularly good at sundering things. (I told them they are the party's rouge now, and it's their job to deal with locked doors and chests)

But that got me thinking... What all can you do to make a sundering build possible? The basic idea being, you're in a typical stone floored dungeon/castle/whatever.

Obviously, ray of disintegrate is the best. It automatically destroys 10 cubic feet of whatever, meaning it destroys 8 cubes on a typical D&D map. But for now we're looking at a melee build that hinges on the character physically hitting the floor to destroy it. Best expectation I hope to achieve would be to create a small pit that a monster would take a penalty to try and leave while players are adjacent.

Stone has Hardness 8, and 15 hitpoints per inch of thickness.

So, let's treat this build as a level 10. The best I can come up with so far basically goes as follows:

Half Orc (Any 0LA race with an STR bonus)
Base strength 18, +2 racial, +1 lvl 4, +1 lvl 8, +6 from Gauntlets of Ogre Strength

Classes: Fighter 5, Kensai 5

Kensai class provides a +5 enchantment to your Greataxe.
I figure since accuracy isn't an issue here, and no crits can be hit, a +2 flaming frost shock adamantine greataxe is the best. Adamantine to ignore the hardness of the stone, and everything else to add to the damage.

Then the Power Attack feat, and the Leap Attack feat, allowing for additional damage equal to 4x the BAB sacrificed (which would be 8 in this case, meaning a 32 bonus)

After that, I really don't know what to do.

I know a few tricks to add a few points of damage here or there, like the fighter's weapon specialization, but after that... I don't know what else would help.

So far this build should average damage equal to 64 (13 from STR bonus, 6.5 from greataxe, 10.5 from elemental enchants, 2 from enhancement bonus, 32 from leap attack)

This is good enough to power through 4 inches of stone... Not terribly impressive.

Waker
2013-08-12, 06:58 PM
Stone Dragon maneuvers might be useful for reducing a dungeon to rubble. And then reducing that rubble to dust.

Hytheter
2013-08-12, 08:32 PM
Classes: Fighter 5, Kensai 5

Isn't that impossible?
You need 5 ranks in Diplomacy and Concentration to become a Kensai, both of which are cross-class skills for a Fighter. At level 5, you can have a maximum of 4 ranks in any cross-class skill. For 5, you'd have to be level 7 at minimum.

Not to mention that half-orc lowers your intellegence, making it harder to get combat Expertise, and to afford all the skills you need.

SowZ
2013-08-12, 08:35 PM
Don't forget Battlejump to double your damage again. Honestly, you are better off going human for extra skill points. Further, don't ever plan to take your build Fighter 5. It's like Meth. Not even once. You are far better off going Fighter 4/Barbarian 1. Then you can do Kensai 5 if you wish.

I wouldn't, though. I'd go Dungeoncrasher Fighter 6/Ape Totem Barbarian 4.

Feats: Power Attack (bonus,) Destructive Rage, Reckless Rage... I'll think on it. But a +1 Adamantine Greatsword with valorous and some other damage enchantments will be a good bet.

Arkusus
2013-08-12, 08:36 PM
Isn't that impossible?
You need 5 ranks in Diplomacy and Concentration to become a Kensai, both of which are cross-class skills for a Fighter. At level 5, you can have a maximum of 4 ranks in any cross-class skill. For 5, you'd have to be level 7 at minimum.

Not to mention that half-orc lowers your intellegence, making it harder to get combat Expertise, and to afford all the skills you need.

Meh, he took skil focuses to cover the stat penalties, and prioritized Int after Str.
Not the best build, but it was a speculative build for sundering. Once I know things that help, I can alter my build to be more sane.

Hytheter
2013-08-12, 09:10 PM
Meh, he took skil focuses to cover the stat penalties, and prioritized Int after Str.
Not the best build, but it was a speculative build for sundering. Once I know things that help, I can alter my build to be more sane.

Skill focus doesn't give you more skill points though
It's still literally impossible to qualify for Kensai as a level 5 Fighter unless you have levels in another class with Diplomacy and Concentration as class skills.

SowZ
2013-08-12, 09:11 PM
Without using TOB, (because I don't really understand it, not because I don't like it...)

Assuming 32 PB.
Str 18 (+2 levels) (30 in rage)
Dex 8
Con 12
Int 10
Wis 8
Cha 16

Illiterate for +1 Iaijutsu Focus

Class Samurai 1/Dng. Fighter 8/Barb 1

Feats: Power Attack, Skill Focus (Iaijutsu Focus,) Destructive Rage, Reckless Rage, Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Melee Weapon Mastery, Leap Attack, Battlejump, Able Learner (Iaijutsu Focus)

Items: +1 Large Adamantine Vicious Valorous Greatsword, +4 Str. Gauntlet, +10 Iaijutsu Focus Item

13 ranks in Iaijutsu, +10 Item, +3 Cha, +3 SF, +1 Illiterate +10 for taking 10=40. Which means +7d6 against an inanimate object.

Weapon deals 5d6+1 damage

Power Attack deals 30 damage.

Destructive Rage=+8 Str to break inanimate.

Weapon Spec/Mast. does +4 damage

Dungeoncrasher Fighter does +10 to inanimate

Str does +15

x2 Battlejump, x2 Valorous

Total damage? 12d6+66 (104) times 4=440 damage

About 29 inches of stone is the most I can manage, but that seems respectable to me. I doubt many floors will be three feet thick. It could hew through 10 inches of Adamantine, which no reasonable structure/safe would ever have.

EDIT: Wait, you can't use Iaijutsu in a rage.

koboldish
2013-08-12, 10:02 PM
Obviously, ray of disintegrate is the best. It automatically destroys 10 cubic feet of whatever, meaning it destroys 8 cubes on a typical D&D map. But for now we're looking at a melee build that hinges on the character physically hitting the floor to destroy it. Best expectation I hope to achieve would be to create a small pit that a monster would take a penalty to try and leave while players are adjacent.

I hate having to be the one that points this out, but 10 cubic feet is not 8 5 foot cubes. That would be 1000 cubic feet. It literally means 10 cubic feet, Like, a 1 by 1 by 10 hole.

Sorry about that.

Arkusus
2013-08-12, 11:05 PM
I hate having to be the one that points this out, but 10 cubic feet is not 8 5 foot cubes. That would be 1000 cubic feet. It literally means 10 cubic feet, Like, a 1 by 1 by 10 hole.

Sorry about that.

Actually it does work like that. I admit I typed it out wrong on my opening post.

When used against an object, the ray simply disintegrates as much as one 10-foot cube of nonliving matter.

So, that's not 10 cubic feet like I said, but one 10 foot cube, which is 8 cubes on a d&d map.

Flickerdart
2013-08-12, 11:10 PM
Turning into a Treant will double your damage against objects.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-13, 06:53 AM
Both concentration and diplomacy can be gained as class skills with martial study to resolve the max rank issues. I would also consider a dip in warblade at 5th level for mountain hammer for an extra 2d6 damage and ignoring hardness and punishing stance for an extra 1d6 damage at the cost of def.