PDA

View Full Version : Cooking with weaponry

Occasional Sage
2013-08-12, 07:08 PM
I'm thinking that a Flaming dagger, used to slice meat, would cook it as you cut; select the of the cut to achieve your desired doneness and dinner just became a breeze!

Although to be honest, I'm planning to carve off of newly-defeated foes. Still the idea holds, right? :smalleek:

Galvin
2013-08-12, 07:11 PM
It wouldn't be hot enough to cook in a split second, you would have to place the blade on the meat for an extended period of time.

Waker
2013-08-12, 07:25 PM
Reminds me of the scene here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ttzWuaPGMo) from Hitchhiker's at about 1:05. It's a knife that toasts bread while you cut it!

Togath
2013-08-12, 07:25 PM
still, it'd be great for marshmallows :smalltongue:

Sort of reminds me of the lesser known "30% of all magic weapons glow like a torch" rule, given that I'd imagine even a non-magically glowing flaming weapon would give off at least a bit of light.

Occasional Sage
2013-08-12, 08:17 PM
It wouldn't be hot enough to cook in a split second, you would have to place the blade on the meat for an extended period of time.

It does enough fire damage to kill in half a second of cutting. You don't think it'd cook a sliceof meat in ten? :smallconfused:

Nettlekid
2013-08-12, 08:29 PM
It does enough fire damage to kill in half a second of cutting. You don't think it'd cook a sliceof meat in ten? :smallconfused:

I agree with this. My DM always rules that cold attacks like Cone of Cold or a DFA's Cold Breath aren't cold enough to flash-freeze water, but I think that if a single burst is enough to kill a creature by hypothermia in like three seconds, then it must be enough to freeze a river.

I would say that yes, a Flaming sword could be used to sear meat as you cut it.

ellindsey
2013-08-12, 08:32 PM

It's not the temperature, it's the time. Heat can only propagate through the meat at a certain rate. You'll get meat that's charred on the surface and still raw in the middle.

Blackhawk748
2013-08-12, 08:36 PM

Nope. The extra d6 is from being impaled by said flaming sword and having your innards burned. Now cooking thin layers of meat may happen as you cut it, and you could definitely toast bread as you cut it. Cooking takes a bit of time, burning someone is pretty quick, considering if iirc a torch does 1d6

Inferno
2013-08-12, 09:00 PM
Flaming Dagger? Meet your Meat Sheath! :smallamused:

Nettlekid
2013-08-12, 09:05 PM
Flaming Dagger? Meet your Meat Sheath! :smallamused:

That sounds too rude to imagine.

Togath
2013-08-12, 09:15 PM
It's not the temperature, it's the time. Heat can only propagate through the meat at a certain rate. You'll get meat that's charred on the surface and still raw in the middle.

on the plus side, if it's beef, people'll pay more fer that:smallwink:

Kane0
2013-08-12, 10:01 PM
If its not properly cooked after cutting it why not just throw your flaming +1 knife under a pan or your flaming +1 longsword under a spit and continue that way.

ArqArturo
2013-08-12, 10:10 PM
If that's the case, Evocation would be part of the culinary arts. Or, maybe it is already (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0099.html).

Occasional Sage
2013-08-12, 10:22 PM

For a boss-of-goblins, that's perfect!

Also, have you never had somebody order a steak "cooked" black and blue?

Ravens_cry
2013-08-12, 10:59 PM
Heh, would be great for shish kabobs, if I know my etymology right. And, of course, it's almost a trope for a retired adventurer who becomes a bartender to use their frost enchanted blade in the service of cooling the brew.

Kerilstrasz
2013-08-13, 07:15 AM
Well.. if your intention is to cook meat that you can later eat then i suppose flaming dagger is a no go..
Imagine a red hot frying pan without oil.. if you throw some meat in, the best scenario in that the meat will stick in the pan, it will burn the flesh and leave the "inner" meat raw. Worst case scenario the piece of meat catches on fire almost in seconds..
In order to properly use the flaming dagger to cook you need to use the heat source(fl.dagger) to warm another material and on that cook your meat.
for example get a big qualdron, throw the dagger at the bottom and fill it with water. after a bit the water will boil. place your meat in the water in a way that it doesn't touches the knife (hung it above it).. and voila! Hot stew!

Hmm.. that makes me think...
If we can treat a frying pan as a weapon then we can make it flaming...
we add a activated "fabricate" trigger to fill it with oil... and throw the burning oil on the enemy... hmm.. new class: Angry Housewife!

Chronos
2013-08-13, 08:21 AM
And here, I thought this thread would be about an alternate use for frying pans.

Gigas Breaker
2013-08-13, 08:27 AM
Seared steak that is raw in the middle is awesome and it makes you feel like a man when you eat it with your hands and don't wipe your face.

forsaken1111
2013-08-13, 08:45 AM
I agree with this. My DM always rules that cold attacks like Cone of Cold or a DFA's Cold Breath aren't cold enough to flash-freeze water, but I think that if a single burst is enough to kill a creature by hypothermia in like three seconds, then it must be enough to freeze a river.

I would say that yes, a Flaming sword could be used to sear meat as you cut it.

The way I see it, the sudden shock of the cold would freeze and split the outer skin causing widespread superficial damage, frozen blood, burst blood vessels, etc. It doesn't freeze a creature to the core without extended exposure, but you don't need to freeze a creature solid to kill it.

Imagine someing throwing a bucket of liquid nitrogen on you. Ignore what happens in the movies, that isn't real. In reality your skin would split and fracture and slough off exposing raw meat and causing incredible external damage. Enough to probably send you into shock if it didn't outright kill you. You'd die shortly after that from blood loss.

Calimehter
2013-08-13, 10:20 AM
You need to get some alchemical weapon capsules (CAdv??) and fill them with cooking oil and spices.

Chronos
2013-08-13, 10:33 AM
Imagine someing throwing a bucket of liquid nitrogen on you.
I don't have to imagine it; I've experienced it. It makes you slightly uncomfortably cool for a moment, then it all splashes off with no damage.

forsaken1111
2013-08-13, 10:36 AM
I don't have to imagine it; I've experienced it. It makes you slightly uncomfortably cool for a moment, then it all splashes off with no damage.

Really? I guess that's the leidenfrost effect in action?

Occasional Sage
2013-08-13, 11:25 AM

Story time! How do you get liquid nitrogen thrown at you?

Chronos
2013-08-13, 11:29 AM
Story time! How do you get liquid nitrogen thrown at you? Not much to tell. We use it in demonstrations occasionally. Throwing a bucket of anything at someone is always a crowd-pleaser.

Yuki Akuma
2013-08-13, 12:02 PM
You can pour liquid nitrogen over your hands, too, although try not to let it pool~

Hamste
2013-08-13, 12:20 PM
You can also hold it in your mouth for a bit... swallowing it however is quite dangerous.

Agent 451
2013-08-13, 05:25 PM
You can also hold it in your mouth for a bit... swallowing it however is quite dangerous.

I'd reserve it's use for making instant chocolate ice cream.

Gigas Breaker
2013-08-13, 05:56 PM
I will probably never do any of these things with liquid nitrogen.

Chronos
2013-08-13, 09:32 PM
Not even the ice cream? It's really good for that.

Occasional Sage
2013-08-13, 11:50 PM
Nope. The extra d6 is from being impaled by said flaming sword and having your innards burned. Now cooking thin layers of meat may happen as you cut it, and you could definitely toast bread as you cut it. Cooking takes a bit of time, burning someone is pretty quick, considering if iirc a torch does 1d6

So, flaming can't be applied to a bludgeoning weapon? :smallconfused:

tyckspoon
2013-08-14, 12:04 AM
The variance of a d6 suggests to me that the heat of a Flaming weapon would be too inconsistent and uncontrollable to be a useful cooking tool, especially applied directly to the food - imagine trying to cook on a rangetop burner that randomly and instantly flips between Low and High and all points in between. You'd absolutely need something to moderate that heat output, like boiling water or a steamer setup (or a griddle/grill, but those would probably still be too sensitive to the temperature changes to reliably cook anything more sophisticated than 'scorched chunk of meat'.)

Mr. Mason
2013-08-14, 03:03 AM
Yes, it will cook it -- in that it will heat it up. However, I would try to make a mandolin set up. With the meat cut that thin, the heat should be enough -- in fact, your biggest worry will be burning it. Might I suggest marinating the meat in an oil based mixture, there should still be enough oil left on the meat to aid in heat transference.

I'm not sure which temperature the meat will need to reach, as I'm not sure which meat we're talking about, but that does seem a pressing concern. Also, there's no way to make a sauce with only a knife... you'll miss out on all that good faun...

Have you considered fish? It doesn't need to cook as long, and, if you dress it with some form of acid, it come with a secondary source of cooking.

The biggest issue I'm seeing is that a knife would be to small for most dishes to work; I might suggest getting your hands on the largest greataxe you can find -- the large surface area on the blade should make a much nicer surface upon which to generate you culinary masterpieces.

I recall someone being concerned about the food sticking to the implement, if you were to get an exquisitely well crafted blade designed for the task, it wouldn't stick as badly. Also, after you sear something, it should come off much easier. Don't constantly play with your food -- I know T.V. chefs do it, but they have a good deal more heat than we simple +1 greataxe of steak tartar users.

Where you to get a hat of superb soup instead, it would open up a new world of possibilities -- can you imagine the even heating! Just ensure you get a flat bottom, those cheap pieces of junk with a rounded bottom are useless; it's worth paying more for quality and versatility -- a flat bottom allows for you to utilize pan functions along with pot functions. You could even use your dagger as a, albeit unwieldy, spatula.

I hope this helps

Yuki Akuma
2013-08-14, 03:16 AM
The variance of a d6 suggests to me that the heat of a Flaming weapon would be too inconsistent and uncontrollable to be a useful cooking tool, especially applied directly to the food - imagine trying to cook on a rangetop burner that randomly and instantly flips between Low and High and all points in between. You'd absolutely need something to moderate that heat output, like boiling water or a steamer setup (or a griddle/grill, but those would probably still be too sensitive to the temperature changes to reliably cook anything more sophisticated than 'scorched chunk of meat'.)

Normal fire also deals 1d6 damage, and you can cook with that.

Inuzuka
2013-08-14, 08:19 AM
http://www.mangareader.net/toriko/237/6

First thing I thought of when I read the title.

Chronos
2013-08-14, 09:46 AM
Quoth Mr. Mason:

The biggest issue I'm seeing is that a knife would be to small for most dishes to work; I might suggest getting your hands on the largest greataxe you can find -- the large surface area on the blade should make a much nicer surface upon which to generate you culinary masterpieces.
A shield can be used as a martial weapon, and can have weapon enchantments on it. I think a medium shield would probably make a pretty good griddle, or a large one if you're in a restaurant-like setting.

And Inuzuka, I gather that your link is supposed to show a page from a manga? All I see there is links for previous and next page, and a bunch of ads.

Mr. Mason
2013-08-14, 01:56 PM
A shield can be used as a martial weapon, and can have weapon enchantments on it. I think a medium shield would probably make a pretty good griddle, or a large one if you're in a restaurant-like setting..

That... is a very good point!

Agent 451
2013-08-14, 09:02 PM
A shield can be used as a martial weapon, and can have weapon enchantments on it. I think a medium shield would probably make a pretty good griddle, or a large one if you're in a restaurant-like setting.

Now I have the image of a small band of retired dwarven adventurers that pull a small cart around with a tower shield secured in the center. They pull the cart into local bazaars during market days, block the wheels, and place their flaming swords underneath the shield. Instant mobile dwarven mongolian grill (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_barbecue)!

Hamste
2013-08-14, 09:12 PM
I kind of want to make a character focused entirely on cooking and using magical weapons to do so now.

Humble Master
2013-08-14, 09:23 PM
As a DM I would rule that yes you could use a flaming weapon to cook meat but it would either take longer or have a chance of ruining the food. In general though, I would say that you would be a lot better off just making a campfire or using spells.

Spuddles
2013-08-14, 09:24 PM

Or cut very thin slices of meat. And it being a master work, magical blade, it'd be like having the finest cutlery in the world and never having to sharpen it.

Well.. if your intention is to cook meat that you can later eat then i suppose flaming dagger is a no go..
Imagine a red hot frying pan without oil.. if you throw some meat in, the best scenario in that the meat will stick in the pan, it will burn the flesh and leave the "inner" meat raw. Worst case scenario the piece of meat catches on fire almost in seconds..

You don't need oil to cook meat. That sort of char is a great way to get a nice rare steak with excellent flavor.

That's like saying the variability of dagger is too high for butchering an animal or filetting a fish....

Gigas Breaker
2013-08-14, 09:35 PM
You don't need oil to cook meat. That sort of char is a great way to get a nice rare steak with excellent flavor.This man knows what's up.

Angelmaker
2013-08-15, 01:39 AM
As a DM I would rule that yes you could use a flaming weapon to cook meat but it would either take longer or have a chance of ruining the food. In general though, I would say that you would be a lot better off just making a campfire or using spells.

At first, I wanted to agree, because it somewhat seems logical. But then, I just imaged a dwarv cooking on his axe, with his cold enchanted dagger in his cask of ale. That picture is too awesome to disallow it.

If a player comes up with this kind od ideas, that are cool and add to the flavour of the game, always ask " what is the impact on the game?". In this case, there is next to none, because eating food and camping is usually omitted anyway, so by allowing it, you loose NOTHING and gain a very cool and unique element to the game. So I. STRONGLY advise any GM who hears of this tom ALLOW it and give your player a new creative element to play around with. Let him tell the story of his beardy mc beardfist who is a master dwarven chef with his flaming and cold weapons to serve masterfully crafted meals and ice cold beverages.

In short: SO YES!

Yuki Akuma
2013-08-15, 03:45 AM
At first, I wanted to agree, because it somewhat seems logical. But then, I just imaged a dwarv cooking on his axe, with his cold enchanted dagger in his cask of ale. That picture is too awesome to disallow it.

If a player comes up with this kind od ideas, that are cool and add to the flavour of the game, always ask " what is the impact on the game?". In this case, there is next to none, because eating food and camping is usually omitted anyway, so by allowing it, you loose NOTHING and gain a very cool and unique element to the game. So I. STRONGLY advise any GM who hears of this tom ALLOW it and give your player a new creative element to play around with. Let him tell the story of his beardy mc beardfist who is a master dwarven chef with his flaming and cold weapons to serve masterfully crafted meals and ice cold beverages.

In short: SO YES!

This man speaks nothing but truth.

Occasional Sage
2013-08-15, 07:49 AM

This dagger needs a handguard that curves up from the pommel. Options are now: 1, drop dagger in cask and drink until it's recovered (best in safe places like town); 2, hook the guard over the edge of the cask for easy recovery, and perhaps moderation if the adult beverage is impairingly strong.