PDA

View Full Version : Circus Ringmaster build?

PangolinPie
2013-08-12, 08:14 PM
Yeah this character idea I've been developing keeps on evolving mentally. I kind of have a track record of playing very over the top and memorable personalities and yet have never played a Bard-based build that would really take advantage of such bravado. What originally started as a standard battle bard gish has become something rather unique...

The idea currently is for a street performer who is more or less a one man circus. Obviously Bard would still be involved and am considering Sublime Chord for access to more conventional "stage magic" aesthetics but there are so many other directions I could go like acrobatic abilities, animal training and of course some sort of gish/offensive touch (maybe whip tricks?). There was a class from Dragon Magazine called "Jester" that had some interesting features...

So yeah I'm stumped at the moment O_o

Numen Wraith.
2013-08-12, 08:17 PM
Open up Complete Scoundrel and look at the Tricksters. Their skill tricks could provide a way to bring your stage act onto the battlefield.

PangolinPie
2013-08-13, 08:16 AM
Yes I see that...excellent. I was also considering the Savage Bard variant as a starting point with maybe an animal companion. Also debating if throwing daggers are the way to go as they tend to work really well with the whole performance angle although I didn't want to make him all ranged capabilities.

Telonius
2013-08-13, 09:14 AM
Make it a Gnome or a Halfling. Ringmasters are usually short, to make the "giants" that they stand next to seem bigger.

Bard sounds like a terrific start, although Beguiler might work too. Push comes to shove, a Killer Gnome build could probably make his own "Cirque du Ombre."

PangolinPie
2013-08-13, 10:32 AM
Make it a Gnome or a Halfling. Ringmasters are usually short, to make the "giants" that they stand next to seem bigger.

Bard sounds like a terrific start, although Beguiler might work too. Push comes to shove, a Killer Gnome build could probably make his own "Cirque du Ombre."

Killer Gnome?

Rebel7284
2013-08-13, 10:39 AM
A shadowcraft mage can conjure up some pretty epic mind****s. :smallamused:

Wild Cohort is a nice feat to get a scaling animal.

Telonius
2013-08-13, 01:23 PM
Killer Gnome?

Behold the horror (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5638.0). Built right, its illusions become more than 100% real.