PDA

View Full Version : Animal Companions

Ruethgar
2013-08-12, 10:40 PM
If I take druid, shaman, natural bard, ranger 4, wild cohort would I have 5 animal companions?

LTwerewolf
2013-08-12, 10:42 PM
No, your levels stack for a single animal companion. The only way i know of to get multiple is 1) wild cohort feat, or 2)beastmaster PRC, or 3) thrallherd, although that's not really the same thing.

Fyermind
2013-08-13, 12:31 AM
Also Peregrine Runner from Races of stone, although it is permanently weak and has to be a falcon.

SolioFebalas
2013-08-13, 01:16 AM
Druid 5/Beast Master 10/Beast Heart Adept 5 + Wild Cohort => 5 animal companions + 1 wild cohort + 2 monstrous companion = 8

Sephoris
2013-08-13, 01:50 AM
If 3.P is okay, there's an archetype for both Druids (Pack Lord (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/archetypes/paizo---druid-archetypes/pack-lord)) and Rangers (Beast Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo---ranger-archetypes/beastmaster)) That let you divide up your levels between multiple animal companions.

Ruethgar
2013-08-13, 07:17 AM
I can see where the levels stack, but I can't find where it prohibits the multiple class features from taking effect. Would someone care to explain where it prohibits each companion from taking effect?

Urpriest
2013-08-13, 09:59 AM
I can see where the levels stack, but I can't find where it prohibits the multiple class features from taking effect. Would someone care to explain where it prohibits each companion from taking effect?

That's what levels stacking means. If the levels stack, it means they add together and make one companion.

Palanan
2013-08-13, 10:09 AM
I think what Ruethgar means is the lack of specific text in the druid or ranger classes prohibiting a second animal companion acquired from another class.

That's what I'm looking for and not seeing, anyway. The text for the Beastmaster PrC has some implications, but I don't see anything in the PHB per se.

LTwerewolf
2013-08-13, 10:48 AM
The abilities are called the same thing. The precedent for that is that it's the same ability. So the answer is either 1) it stacks, or 2) it doesn't stack at all and the other sources give you nothing. Just go with #1.

Karoht
2013-08-13, 11:08 AM
Be a Summoner with and Eidolon
Get an Animal Companion. Oracle combo's somewhat with Summoner. Just take Nature Mystery.
Use Eldritch Heritage (Arcane Bloodline) to get a Familiar, possibly combo with Improved Familiar.
3 pets. Go nuts. The familiar scouts, the Animal Companion is the flanking buddy for the Eidolon, the Eidolon is the Striker.

mattie_p
2013-08-13, 11:23 AM
I think what Ruethgar means is the lack of specific text in the druid or ranger classes prohibiting a second animal companion acquired from another class.

That's what I'm looking for and not seeing, anyway. The text for the Beastmaster PrC has some implications, but I don't see anything in the PHB per se.

In the PHB it is in the sidebar describing the animal companion. In the SRD it is here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm#theDruidsAnimalCompanion).

Class Level
The character’s druid level. The druid’s class levels stack with levels of any other classes that are entitled to an animal companion for the purpose of determining the companion’s abilities and the alternative lists available to the character.

Palanan
2013-08-13, 11:54 AM
...So I see. Now.

*facepalm*

Thank you. That right there is a nat 1 on a spot check.

:smallannoyed:

Ruethgar
2013-08-13, 02:22 PM
So, Dogs of War, Beastmaster 1, Natural Bard and Wild Cohort. 4 beasties, one with horrible health.

Palanan
2013-08-13, 04:44 PM
Granted my reading skills have come into question recently, but I'm not sure the beastmaster would get you another animal companion with a one-level dip:

"If a beastmaster already has an animal companion from another class, her beastmaster levels stack with class levels from all other classes that grant an animal companion."

Looks to me like the first level of beastmaster enhances an existing animal companion, but doesn't add another one. The beastmaster doesn't get an additional one until the fourth level of the PrC.