PDA

View Full Version : Template Shapeshifter [3.5e class]{PEACH}

Milo v3
2013-08-12, 10:49 PM
Another Class based around shapechanging. Like basically every single other shapeshifting class in existance, this will remind a rather large amount of book keeping, seriously… 17 stat blocks once you reach level 20…

Note, I made this class while crushdrunk and sleep deprieved in only one sitting.... So it's probably very very very bad class

Shifter
AAAAAAH! I'm on fire! I'M ON FIRE! Hey, I'm on fire, and.... I'm okay!

Through understanding, arcane accident, or a gift from a more powerful being, the shifters possess the ability to change their forms. This gives them huge verstitility, but because these forms are specific they can't just turn into anything.

Role: Shifters are generally physical combatants because of the nature of their transformations. But they can also be skilled in other roles depending on what forms they create; allowing them to support their allies, be scouts, and reach places others cannot.

Alignment: Shifters can be of any alignment, but individuals with a chaotic bent are more common. It is important to note that some forms will cause the alignment to temporarily change.

Hit Die: d10

Starting Gold: As monk.

Class Skills
The Shifter's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana, local, nature) (Int), (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Skill Ranks per Level: (6 + Int modifier)

SHIFTER
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Forms|Level Slots

1st|
+0|
+2|
+2|
+0|Shift|3|1

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+3|
+0|Bonus Feat|4|1

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+1|Mobile Transformation|4|2

4th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+1|Bonus Feat, Shifter's Weaponry|5|2

5th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+1|Improved Control|6|3

6th|
+4|
+5|
+5|
+2|Bonus Feat, Quick Transformation|6|3

7th|
+5|
+5|
+5|
+2|Racial Adjustment|7|3

8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+6|
+2|Bonus Feat, Defensive Shift|8|4

9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+6|
+3|Swift Transformation|8|4

10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+7|
+3|Bonus Feat, Greater Control|9|5

11th|
+8/+3|
+7|
+7|
+3|Shifter's Movement|10|5

12th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+8|
+4|Bonus Feat, Freedom of Form|10|6

13th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+8|
+4| |11|6

14th|
+10/+5|
+9|
+9|
+4|Bonus Feat|12|6

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+9|
+9|
+5|Master Control|12|7

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+5|Bonus Feat, Immediate Transformation|13|7

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+5| |14|8

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+11|
+6|Bonus Feat|14|8

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+11|
+6| |15|9

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+12|
+6|Bonus Feat, True Shapeshifter|16|9[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Shifter.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A shifter is proficient with all simple weapons and with light armor.

Shift (Su): A shifter has a number of alternate forms he can enter into as a full-round action. The specific number of forms a shifter possesses is shown on the above table. Each form is a specific set of templates which are applied to the shifter, with the LA of the form equal to their Level Slots.

These templates can be any template of the shifters choice that they could apply to themselves (or to the current stats of the form if applying multiple templates), with the rest of the Level Slots converted into additional HD of the appropriate creature type. Additional HD functions as normal, granting skill points and feats etc. These skill points and feats need to be selected when the form would gain additional HD and cannot be changed.

When you use shift, select three forms that you possess. Each form is then assigned to a number between 0 and 4, though one of the three forms is also assigned to the number four (your choice). Roll 1d4, the form assigned to the rolled number is the form you take.

The shifter may remain in this form for up to 10 minutes, though can be ended as a free action. After the shifter returns to their natural form, the shifter may not use shift again for 10 minutes, though it can otherwise be used at will.

Any abilities possessed by a form that have a limited number of uses are reset as if they were always being used. They don't refresh when you use shift. Example: A celestial form can use Smite Evil once per day. Once used when in this form, you can't use it till the next day regardless of how many times you use the form.

If a shifter would die in a form, they revert back to their natural form instaneously. This is fast enough that if a humanoid died as an outsider the transition back to humanoid they still possess their proper afterlife rather than being difficult to resurrect and similar issues.

Bonus Feat: At every even level, a shifter grants a Bonus Feat to each of his forms that they would met the prerequisites of. Any forms gained after gaining this feature automatically gain a number of bonus feats as if you had the form from second level. Once a form has selected it's bonus feats it cannot be changed.

Mobile Transformation: Upon reaching 3rd level, a shifter can use Shift as a standard action.

Shifter's Weaponry (Su): A shifter of 4th level may select a single natural weapon possessed by any of his forms at the start of each day. He gains that natural weapon while in his natural form. If the natural weapon would have additional properties such as dealing fire damage because of the Burn ability, such traits are retained when used this way.

Improved Control: Whenever a shifter of 5th level uses shift, they select two forms that they possess. Roll 1d4; with a result of 1-2 meaning you take your first selected form, while 3-4 means you take your second selected form.

Quick Transformation: Upon reaching 6th level, a shifter can use Shift as a move-action.

Racial Adjustment: After attaining 7th level, your forms can start to be much more varied from you. Whenever you gain a new form, you may choose for the race of the form to be different to your race. This race must have a listed LA that isn't designated for use as a cohort only.

If the race possesses a higher LA to your natural race, then apply the difference to the amount of LA allowed by your Level Slots. If the race possesses a lower LA to your natural race, then add the difference to your Level Slots.

You do not gain any racial hit dice from the change in race and retain any racial hit dice you naturally possessed.

Defensive Shift (Su): A number of times per day equal to a quarter of your class level, you may use Shift as an immediate action.

Swift Transformation: Upon reaching 9th level, a shifter can use Shift as a swift action.

Greater Control: Whenever a shifter of 10th level uses shift, they select two forms that they possess. Roll 1d4; with a result of 1-3 meaning you take your first selected form, while 4 means you take your second selected form.

Shifter's Movement: A shifter of 11th level may select a single movement mode possessed by any of his forms at the start of each day. He gains movement mode while in his natural form, though the speed is halved.

Freedom of Form: Upon reaching 12th level, a shifter can use Shift as a free action.

Master Control: Whenever a shifter of 15th level uses shift, they simply select whichever form they desire rather than having to roll.

Immediate Transformation: Upon reaching 18th level, a shifter can use Shift as an immediate action. This renders defensive shift redundant.

True Shapeshifter: Upon attaining 20th level, a shifter gains the Shapechanger subtype, stops aging (though they still acquire mental bonuses from aging), and need not wait 10 minutes after returning to normal to use shift again.

Amechra
2013-08-12, 11:15 PM
Quick question:

Would having a Feral Phrenic Saint form be a valid form? As in, can your forms include multiple templates? From the wording, I assume that's the case, but I wasn't exactly sure.

Just be aware that every form has 100' flight and the fey type. :smallwink:

Milo v3
2013-08-12, 11:25 PM
Quick question:

Would having a Feral Phrenic Saint form be a valid form? As in, can your forms include multiple templates? From the wording, I assume that's the case, but I wasn't exactly sure.

Just be aware that every form has 100' flight and the fey type. :smallwink:

As long as you can still meet the prerequistes for each template in the right order, then you can have as many as you want like a standard creature can.

So... Half-Everything's are actually a possiblity for forms :smallbiggrin:

bekeleven
2013-08-13, 12:06 AM
The speed of a shifter's shift progresses from full round, to move, to standard. I assume this is a copy-editing mistake?

Also, later, shift goes from a free action to an immediate action. Free actions are strictly better, as they can be used at the same time as immediates, but do not use up your swift for the next round.

From here on in, I'm going to get rules-heavy and kind of nitpicky, so be warned. I also made a class called the shifter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297550), and by coincidence posted it on the forums within hours of yours, so I'm pretty well versed on shapeshifting mechanics in 3.5 for the next couple of hours until it all leaves my head.

A shifter has a number of alternate forms he can enter into as a full-round action. The specific number of forms a shifter possesses is shown on the above table. Each form is a specific set of templates which are applied to the shifter, with the LA of the form equal to their Level Slots.

Most shapeshifters have creatures as the things they turn into. For isntance, a human turning into a crocodile or whatever.

This class is designed around turning from human to, say, winged human?

In other words, unlike most shapeshifters:

The shifter keeps his STR and DEX scores, although they may be modified
The shapeshifter can never turn into an animal, a construct, or anything else that's not playable (LA - ), as well as anything that has a level adjustment but is only a single type of creature, like most intelligent outsiders.
Presumably, he also can't turn into creatures with LA for cohort or animal companion purposes, such as blink dogs.

Let me walk through the mechanics to see if I understand them.

If wanted say, Celestial with a LA of +2, I would have to wait until level 3, when my "level slots" hit 2. At that point, I could (given a dice roll) apply celestial to myself, giving myself darkvision, energy resist, spell resistance, and the occasional smite evil. Since I am now level 3, I have one bonus feat I can apply to Celestial, so I give myself improved initiative or something while I'm deified. Am I correct in saying that I cannot change this feat?

If switch out and back into this, do I get a new smite evil (1/Day)?

Once I hit level 5, I gain a third "level slot". Assuming I'm human, I get a temporary extra die of humanoid (celestial does not change my type), granting me 1D8 HD, 0 BAB (unless using fractionals), "good reflex saves usually" according to the SRD, 2+int skill points with a new skill ceiling. My HD total also raises to 6, meaning that I can take a bonus feat.

Is this all correct? Even if my class-inspired bonus feat is fixed, can I change my HD-inspired bonus feat and skill points? When I lose my level at the end of the transformation, do my hit points reduce, as a barbarian's rage? Since a humanoid's saves are good reflex "usually", am I correct in stating that I get +2 REF? If I'm level 7, do I get a temporary ability boost in addition to these buffs?

Alternatively, say I'm an aasimar - native outsider. When I transform into celestial because I really like being redundant I guess, I gain a HD of outsider. This grants me +1 BAB per HD, so I gain an iterative attack if I'm level 7 at the time. It gives me all good saves, so all of those jump by two. I gain skill points equal to 8+int as well as a higher ceiling. I gain martial weapon proficiency.

Is this all correct? I gain all proficiencies from my racial HD?

If I take a form that transforms me from humanoid to outsider, and I die, do I revert to humanoid (reverting when slain is standard)? If the revert happened after my death, does that mean that I was an outsider at time of death and therefore can't be raised or resurrected?

Can I take templates that can't apply to my base form? I feel like your text implies this, but that opens up a really painful can of worms.

After attaining 7th level, your forms can start to be much more varied from you. Whenever you gain a new form, you may choose for the race of the form to be different to your race.

Could I get an example of this?

What it sounds like it's saying is, say I'm playing human. I choose to learn the fiendish template. Since I can choose "the race of the form to be different", I choose to learn how to transform into a fiendish dire lion. Is this correct?

Alternatively, at 7th level, I choose to transform into a fiendish Satyr. I think by the math you're laying out, the Satyr has a +2 LA, and fiendish is +2 LA. Assuming I'm an Aasimar when I start, the different in LA between me and the Satyr is 1, so I lose 1 bonus hit die. This is just enough to fit Fiendish at +2.

This means that at 7th level I can shift into a fiendish Satyr. I assume this works similarly to the official wild shape rules (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19528526/updated_Master_of_Many_Forms_Bible__official_wild_ shape_rules). Or is it closer to shapeshange, where I get all of the Satyr's supernatural and spell-like abilities? The Satyr has 5 HD. Do I use its base attack bonus, its health, its base abilities? Do I get to pick level-based feats and skills from these 5 HD, or only from bonus HD that I apply later through level slots?

If you can tell me you intention in these situations, I can probably help you come up with the dry mechanics-speak to convey it.

Anyway, sorry if that seemed harsh but, as I said, I'm in shapeshifting rules mode right now.

Milo v3
2013-08-13, 12:52 AM
The speed of a shifter's shift progresses from full round, to move, to standard. I assume this is a copy-editing mistake?
Yeah.

Also, later, shift goes from a free action to an immediate action. Free actions are strictly better, as they can be used at the same time as immediates, but do not use up your swift for the next round.
You still retain the ability to use free actions to transform, but the addition of immediate actions means you can use shift during times even if it isn't your turn.

From here on in, I'm going to get rules-heavy and kind of nitpicky, so be warned. I also made a class called the shifter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297550), and by coincidence posted it on the forums within hours of yours, so I'm pretty well versed on shapeshifting mechanics in 3.5 for the next couple of hours until it all leaves my head.
Yeah, I noticed that. That's why I thought I'd get this up while everyone still has the shapechanging rules in their minds, though that did mean I didn't look over my class at all after finishing it.

Most shapeshifters have creatures as the things they turn into. For isntance, a human turning into a crocodile or whatever.

This class is designed around turning from human to, say, winged human?
Yeah. No turning into a crocodile or wolf (though werewolf or amalgam wolf would be acceptible), the forms are just Templates and HD.

The shifter keeps his STR and DEX scores, although they may be modified
You keep all your ability scores, though they may be modified by the templates and additional HD.

The shapeshifter can never turn into an animal, a construct, or anything else that's not playable (LA - ), as well as anything that has a level adjustment but is only a single type of creature, like most intelligent outsiders.
You can't turn into anything else at all, except for if you use Racial Adjustment. Then you could start turning into an elf made of fire or winged halfling etc.

Presumably, he also can't turn into creatures with LA for cohort or animal companion purposes, such as blink dogs.

You can't turn into creatures. Your just applying templates and HD to your own statistics. Then when you reach 7th level you can just change to stuff like elf or ogre.

[QUOTE]If wanted say, Celestial with a LA of +2, I would have to wait until level 3, when my "level slots" hit 2. At that point, I could (given a dice roll) apply celestial to myself, giving myself darkvision, energy resist, spell resistance, and the occasional smite evil. Since I am now level 3, I have one bonus feat I can apply to Celestial, so I give myself improved initiative or something while I'm deified. Am I correct in saying that I cannot change this feat?
You would be correct.

If switch out and back into this, do I get a new smite evil (1/Day)?
I'm going to say... no.. But it doesn't say that in the text so I'll add it.

Once I hit level 5, I gain a third "level slot". Assuming I'm human, I get a temporary extra die of humanoid (celestial does not change my type), granting me 1D8 HD, 0 BAB (unless using fractionals), "good reflex saves usually" according to the SRD, 2+int skill points with a new skill ceiling. My HD total also raises to 6, meaning that I can take a bonus feat.
Looks good so far.

Even if my class-inspired bonus feat is fixed, can I change my HD-inspired bonus feat and skill points? When I lose my level at the end of the transformation, do my hit points reduce, as a barbarian's rage? Since a humanoid's saves are good reflex "usually", am I correct in stating that I get +2 REF? If I'm level 7, do I get a temporary ability boost in addition to these buffs?
Yes to all those, except for changing your feats and skill points. They are fixed.

Alternatively, say I'm an aasimar - native outsider. When I transform into celestial because I really like being redundant I guess, I gain a HD of outsider. This grants me +1 BAB per HD, so I gain an iterative attack if I'm level 7 at the time. It gives me all good saves, so all of those jump by two. I gain skill points equal to 8+int as well as a higher ceiling. I gain martial weapon proficiency.

Is this all correct? I gain all proficiencies?
Technically, yes you would gain the proficiencies as it's part of the type.

If I take a form that transforms me from humanoid to outsider, and I die, do I revert to humanoid (reverting when slain is standard). If the revert happened after my death, does that mean that I "died as an outsider" and therefore can't be raised or resurrected?
Added in text to clarify they revert. THough it's horribly worded.

Can I take templates that can't apply to my base form? I feel like your text implies this, but that opens up a really painful can of worms.
No. I'll clarify that.

Could I get an example of this?
You change your race to something else when your in that form like... elf or centaur or bugbear.

What it sounds like it's saying is, say I'm playing human. I choose to learn the fiendish template. Since I can choose "the race of the form to be different", I choose to learn how to transform into a fiendish dire lion. Is this correct?
No. You can't choose dire lion as a race cause it has an LA of -. It isn't a playable race.

Alternatively, at 7th level, I choose to transform into a fiendish Satyr. I think by the math you're laying out, the Satyr has a +2 LA, and fiendish is +2 LA. Assuming I'm an Aasimar when I start, the different in LA between me and the Satyr is 1, so I lose 1 bonus hit die. This is just enough to fit Fiendish at +2.
Ok... 7th level Aasimar Shifter (LS=3).
Satyr = +1 (+2-1 for the LA you already possessed)
Fiendish = +2

You never lose hit dice. You lower the LA for the race.

This means that at 7th level I can shift into a fiendish Satyr. I assume this works similarly to the official wild shape rules (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19528526/updated_Master_of_Many_Forms_Bible__official_wild_ shape_rules).
I can't see that because of the blocks on my laptop.

Or is it closer to shapeshange, where I get all of the Satyr's supernatural and spell-like abilities? The Satyr has 5 HD. Do I use its base attack bonus, its health, its base abilities? Do I get to pick level-based feats and skills from these 5 HD, or only from bonus HD that I apply later through level slots?
Clarified.

Anyway, sorry if that seemed harsh but, as I said, I'm in shapeshifting rules mode right now.
Not harsh at all. I wrote this whole class at 2:15 am after talking to the girl who turns me into a complete idiot. I knew it would have tonnes of errors and stuff missing. :smallbiggrin: