PDA

View Full Version : [nWoD] Changeling: The Lost

Anderlith
2013-08-13, 12:50 AM
So I'm going to play Changeling the Lost in a week or two & need help with my character. I've never played changeling before but I have played nWoD

I want to play a "horned hunter" type guy like Herne. I don't know what Court to join :( Summer has a lot of combat ability but it seems to lack a "huntsmen" vibe. I was thinking Autumn Court but it is more witchy feeling than anything else.

Help me out?

Selrahc
2013-08-13, 02:23 AM
Summer is the closest fit. It has a focus on physical activity above any of the other courts.

Of course the Hunt is also the province of the Gentry. Many Changelings will have been kidnapped by one of the Grand Hunts. To embrace that stereotype may be seen as, at least, somewhat gauche. And it may possibly get you pegged as a loyalist, or scorned by angry Changelings.

Anderlith
2013-08-13, 01:08 PM
Summer is the closest fit. It has a focus on physical activity above any of the other courts.

Of course the Hunt is also the province of the Gentry. Many Changelings will have been kidnapped by one of the Grand Hunts. To embrace that stereotype may be seen as, at least, somewhat gauche. And it may possibly get you pegged as a loyalist, or scorned by angry Changelings.

The idea I have is that Herne (or equivalent) is my Keeper & I was one of his "hounds" I used to hunt escaped changelings until the day I escaped myself (better to hunt than be hunted)
I'm thinking of taking the Flaw Notoriety to reflect the possible anger others will harbor for someone who used to hunt them. Now of course I hunt the Fae & the Keepers turning against them.

comicshorse
2013-08-13, 01:25 PM
Great minds think alike :smallcool:
The background of my current Changeling character is that he was taken by The Huntsman and transformed into a stag so he could be hunted

Chronos Flame
2013-08-13, 03:32 PM
I have a bit of that going on with my current changeling character as well. The best suggestion I can give is to take the Oath and Punishment powers if you have access to them. They are an Ogre contract from a supliment book, Winter Masques I think. It has a bunch of powers that make it so you can't lose the person you're hunting and the like. It also deals with telling if somebody has broken an oath. It is mostly for use in hunting Changeling (which you would have picked up as a hunter for your Keeper) but I'm pretty sure a couple of the powers can also be turned on the Gentry and their folk when not being used to hunt oathbreakers for the summer court.

Anderlith
2013-08-13, 07:10 PM
I was thinking of being a beast not an ogre...

The Glyphstone
2013-08-13, 08:31 PM
That just means you don't get the Affinity discount. You can always buy non-Affinity contracts with XP.

comicshorse
2013-08-14, 06:15 AM
Also a bit down the line you might consider the Tolltaker Knighthood Entitlement. They are an order of Bounty Hunters whose special gift makes 'marked' targets weaker in combat against the Knight that marked them (halved Defence, Initiative drops by a point)
Though you do have tob e Summer Court to join

One Tin Soldier
2013-08-16, 04:17 PM
The idea I have is that Herne (or equivalent) is my Keeper & I was one of his "hounds" I used to hunt escaped changelings until the day I escaped myself (better to hunt than be hunted)
I'm thinking of taking the Flaw Notoriety to reflect the possible anger others will harbor for someone who used to hunt them. Now of course I hunt the Fae & the Keepers turning against them.

Your character wants to hunt the True Fae? That's a Summer Court if I've ever heard one.

Anderlith
2013-08-16, 08:22 PM
Sounds like a Summer Court then lol. I didn't know summer was big on hunting.

So do you guys recommend any Contracts? I was thinking Fang & Claw, Den, & Smoke. I heard about the Orge punishment but Idk if I'll take it.

Also, I was looking at the rules for bows & it seems like if I have strength 3 the Archery Merit & a Compound bow I get 5L damage. & if I use a broadhead arrow I get 6. Is this correct?

hiryuu
2013-08-16, 10:58 PM
Summer Court is all about being ANGRY. Are you angry with the true fae? Do you hate? Do you rage? Does your heart burn when you think about them? Do you want to make the Others suffer? Summer's for you.

Autumn Court is AFRAID. Winter Court is DEPRESSED. Spring is so glad to be home they're throwing a party and everyone is invited.

comicshorse
2013-08-17, 07:18 AM
So do you guys recommend any Contracts? I was thinking Fang & Claw, Den, & Smoke. I heard about the Orge punishment but Idk if I'll take it.

You could check out Contract of Stone (even if you're not an Ogre) for straight out ripping things apart and Eternal Summer is good for making it harder for them to hide from you not to mention the 'laser vision' final level. I find Artifice very useful to for improving your weapons before the battle or taking away an eneemies weapons in a emergency

SiuiS
2013-08-21, 03:21 AM

An Ogre Cyclopean bloodhound is literally an example character in one of the books, used by that Gentry to track down escapees, and potentially also capture them in the first place. The dual kith merit lets you double up, so you could be a beast who grabs Cyclopean for 3 dots.

The only reason to really pick a specific seemin and kith is backstory for and mechanical synergy. We have an archangel who is a Stone Bones ogre with the wing swift kith as well. We've also had a town sheriff who was a Cyclopean ogre whose mien was a German Shepard – think bad-ass western Scruff McGruff.

Anderlith
2013-08-21, 06:04 PM
An Ogre Cyclopean bloodhound is literally an example character in one of the books, used by that Gentry to track down escapees, and potentially also capture them in the first place. The dual kith merit lets you double up, so you could be a beast who grabs Cyclopean for 3 dots.

The only reason to really pick a specific seemin and kith is backstory for and mechanical synergy. We have an archangel who is a Stone Bones ogre with the wing swift kith as well. We've also had a town sheriff who was a Cyclopean ogre whose mien was a German Shepard – think bad-ass western Scruff McGruff.
Do you know which book? I'd love to have this example for when I discuss my character with the Storyteller

SiuiS
2013-08-22, 03:37 AM
Do you know which book? I'd love to have this example for when I discuss my character with the Storyteller

Rites of Spring? Maybe Winter Masques.
The company themselves put it up for review though; Here (http://wodindex.wikispaces.com/Complete+Changeling+the+Lost)

You can find it in the merits section along with other neat stuff. It's no replacement for the books, but is a handy resource.

The Glyphstone
2013-08-22, 11:52 AM
Seemings/Kiths are in Winter Masques, so it'd be there.

SiuiS
2013-08-23, 03:51 AM
Seemings/Kiths are in Winter Masques, so it'd be there.

Well, one book gives you the merits, and another tells you that you can add them as your wyrd grows, and I tend to read changeling in a sleep-induced haze, so I'm unreliable in that regard.

The Glyphstone
2013-08-23, 11:22 AM
Well, one book gives you the merits, and another tells you that you can add them as your wyrd grows, and I tend to read changeling in a sleep-induced haze, so I'm unreliable in that regard.

Yeah, the rules for gaining additional merits are in other books. I was just talking about the extra non-core seemings themselves, which are almost all printed in WM.