PDA

View Full Version : Summarize the Forum Rules

Dig
2013-08-13, 01:01 AM
Hi,

I am proud to be a tiny part of this community, which is founded upon my favorite comic ever. As such, I want to be a good forum citizen and fully understand all of the Forum Rules, which have been updated extensively after I originally read and accepted them.

Even though I'm motivated, and find the subject matter interesting, and even though I have a pretty good attention span, and even though they have obviously been crafted with great care, my eyes start to glaze over partway through.

Can this be improved upon?

In an effort to be constructive, here are a few suggestions:

1) Include a summary "TL/DR" version for younger and/or casual participants who need to know the rules of the road, but might not need to know the minutiae.

2) Tweak the order in which the topics are presented. For example, name the moderators and describe their powers towards the bottom, instead of at the top.

3) Perhaps a Hyperlinked Table of Contents is in order?

Dig
2013-08-13, 01:10 AM
If any of these suggestions are a good idea, but resources are not available to make something nice happen, I volunteer to help work on it and send my output to this thread, or to an Admin for consideration and/or fiery disposal :smallwink:

Elder Tsofu
2013-08-13, 01:54 AM
Just a few related answers that have popped up over time:

1:
In a previous thread, Rawhide said it would be pointless to update the FAQ.

I would like to know Why? Why is it pointless? Shouldn't it solve problems by not making the mods say the same thing over and over again?

Just wondering.

Well, aside from the fact that people never read the FAQ anyway, it would just be pointless. That's why. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14451682&postcount=4)

2: Sheriff: If we decide to crowdsource the FAQ, we'll let you know. Thanks for the offer. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15692674&postcount=2)

Rawhide
2013-08-13, 04:12 AM
Rules summary: Don't be a Richard.

We cannot currently implement any major changes to the formatting, such as hyperlinks, but such things have been considered.

Just a few related answers that have popped up over time:

1:
In a previous thread, Rawhide said it would be pointless to update the FAQ.

I would like to know Why? Why is it pointless? Shouldn't it solve problems by not making the mods say the same thing over and over again?

Just wondering.

Well, aside from the fact that people never read the FAQ anyway, it would just be pointless. That's why.

That information is completely irrelevant, as it relates to the FAQ, not forum rules, and bad advice.

---

Also, Dig, please don't reply to the thread if you are the last poster. If you wish to add something you thought of minutes or hours later, please edit your post.

pendell
2013-08-13, 03:46 PM
Something I have thought of is a fan-based parody of the rules of the Things I am no longer allowed to do (http://skippyslist.com/list/) kind.

Something like this:

Rule 1: We do not talk about the update schedule.
Rule 2: We Do Not Talk about the update schedule.
Rule 3: When the mods show up with red text, the thread is over.
Rule 4: As many posters as necessary to a thread.
Rule 5: One topic at a time.
Rule 6: No politics. No religion.
Rule 7: Threads will go on as long as they have to.
Rule 8: If this is your first time on the forum, you have to post.

I say "parody", but I mean in the " Ha Ha Only Serious (http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?HaHaOnlySerious)" sense. Sometimes people remember the rules better when humor is used as memory aid. For instance, I can still remember the color coding for resistors twenty years later, though I only heard it once. Black = 0, Brown = 1, Red = 2 , Orange = 3 Yellow = 4 Green = 5 Blue = 6 Violet = 7 Grey = 8 White = 9.

The mneumonic I was told to remember this was vile, racist, crude, but memorable. And so it sticks while I've forgotten almost everything else from that class.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Dig
2013-08-13, 05:27 PM
Thank you for the responses. I'll edit my posts in the future rather than replying to my own post.

I feel some apathy here but see no reason to press. The rules can stay however the site owner wants them, and I'll conform.

In my opinion, Pendell's summary is worth reading but Rawhide's is simply a throw away response.

I withdraw my offer to help.

Rawhide
2013-08-13, 06:08 PM
pendell: Those "rules" you suggested are a terrible and incorrect example. Especially numbers 3, 4, 5, 7, and 8, and to a lesser extent all of the others.

The thread is certainly not over when a moderator talks in "mod-voice" (uses red text), only when they close the thread permanently. In play by post games, only the players are allowed to post to the threads unless the DM opens it to other posters. While threads should remain generally on topic to the original post, or the direction of the thread in some cases, one specific topic at a time is definitely not enforced, especially in threads designed for multiple topics. Threads don't go past page 50(ish). You definitely do not have to post, we have many lurkers and they are welcome to remain lurkers as long as they wish to.

Dig: We are constantly evaluating the rules and do wish that they could be presented in a better format. We do not, however, discuss behind the scenes issues publicly. As I have explained, we have considered formatting changes, but we cannot currently implement any major changes to the formatting, such as hyperlinks. With our current staffing level and commitments, any major reordering of the rules will be reserved for a full rewrite and evaluation.

Siosilvar
2013-08-13, 06:34 PM
Rules summary: Don't be a Richard.

Wait a minute, is the Giant allowed to be a Richard? Because if he's not, I think we have some major issues.

Rockphed
2013-08-13, 06:42 PM
Wait a minute, is the Giant allowed to be a Richard? Because if he's not, I think we have some major issues.

One common shortening of Richard is filtered by the forum. Bypassing the filter to use that form to talk about white whales, american comic actors, or comic strip detectives is overlooked. Using said shortening in its insulting form is less kindly looked upon. I assume that Rawhide was toeing the line of the rules.

A less confusing summary might be:

"Be excellent to each other."

Siosilvar
2013-08-13, 06:51 PM
One common shortening of Richard is filtered by the forum. Bypassing the filter to use that form to talk about white whales, american comic actors, or comic strip detectives is overlooked. Using said shortening in its insulting form is less kindly looked upon. I assume that Rawhide was toeing the line of the rules.

A less confusing summary might be:

"Be excellent to each other."

The Giant's name is Richard Burlew (though he goes by Rich IIRC).

So, in short, you completely missed the joke. :smallwink:

Roland St. Jude
2013-08-13, 07:30 PM
Sheriff:

Forum Rules Summary: These are the rules for posting here, read them if you care about such things. If you don't read them, you'll be notified when you violate one.

I'd wager most of the Forum Rules could be formatted, organized, or written differently. We review and amend them from time to time and always have changes for the next update. That said, we're not looking for public assistance in doing so.

If young or casual readers don't want to read the rules, that's a choice they make. We'll let them know when they cross a line, and suggest they do read them.