PDA

View Full Version : [WFRP 2e] Fast Hands

Longes
2013-08-13, 05:41 AM
Here's a tough question for you, forum gurus.

In WFRP2e Apprentice Wizard can take either Aethiric Attunement or Fast Hands talent. Aethiric Attunement gives you +10% to Channelling and Magic Sense. Fast Hands gives you +10% to touch spell tests. Apprentice Wizards don't have touch spells - Hedge Wizards do and a couple of lores do. Hedge Wizards don't have Fast Hands.

So, the question: is there ever a situation where an Apprentice Wizard would take Fast Hands over Aethiric Attunement?

LCP
2013-08-15, 03:10 AM
When they're an elf and already have Aethyric Attunement as a starting talent. Or when they're a human and rolled it up as one of their random talents.

EDIT: Also, Apprentice Wizards do have a touch spell - Sleep. Possibly the best combat spell available to them.

Longes
2013-08-15, 03:14 AM
When they're an elf and already have Aethyric Attunement as a starting talent. Or when they're a human and rolled it up as one of their random talents.

You can't get Aethyric Attunement nor Fast Hands as a random human talent :smallsmile:
I also don't see any reason for a Wizard-Elf to take Aethyric Attunement + Fast Hands over Longbow + Attunement :smallsmile:

I was wrong, by the way. Sleep is a touch spell. Still doesn't make Fast Hands worth it.

LCP
2013-08-15, 05:14 AM
I was wrong, by the way. Sleep is a touch spell.

Looks like I ninja'd you with my edit there.

I'm still not sure why you're quite so down on Fast Hands. Wizards don't get many WS advances, and when you later have access to many powerful touch spells, a +10% bonus to WS is pretty good. Plus sleep is possibly one of the best Petty Magic (Arcane) spells to start with. Certainly when it comes to elves and their starting talents, Apprentice Wizards don't start with longbows and are kind of wasting time, money and talent slots if they set out to acquire one (get a crossbow! No training required).

Aethyric Attunement is such a useful talent that it's always going to be a high-priority pick, but that doesn't make Fast Hands useless.

lesser_minion
2013-08-17, 04:45 PM
Hedge Wizards have to go through Apprentice Wizard if they want to advance their magic, for a start.

Also, remember that the two talents aren't mutually exclusive -- if you start with one, you can later take the other as an advance. If you've entered Apprentice Wizard from another career, then you can choose to take one or both.