PDA

View Full Version : How to get spontaneous arcane casting?

Krazzman
2013-08-13, 06:49 AM
Hello again playground,

after rereading a few Iron Chef competitions I had an idea for a Character I am currently playing.

I already read about Magical Training but I am unsure if my DM would let me switch to that.
So what are other ways to get the needed spontaneous casting for Dragon Disciple?

Character specific stuff:

The character in question is a Totemist that just happens to have reached the next level (level 3) as the last session gave him nearly 2000 exp (we won an encounter out of sheer luck and managed so salvage loot around the worth of 12k gold).
Feats he has is Expanded Soulmeld Capacity and Improved Unarmed strike.
I thought about taking Multiattack next.
Currently he has only 1 rank in Knowledge Arcana but could put the next 2 points into it (has to skill KN Nature, Survival, Spot and Listen)
He has 14 Int, 14 wis and 12 cha so if it has to be a dip Duskblade would probably be the best bet.

SolioFebalas
2013-08-13, 07:17 AM
To be:

Dread Necromancer
Bard
War Mage
Sorcerer
Beguiler
Dusk Blade

Wizard ACF: Spontaneous Divination (complete champion)
Wizard ACF: Spontaneous Summoning (unearthed arcane)

and so on Spontaneous Wizard Guide (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=474.0)

Grod_The_Giant
2013-08-13, 10:42 AM
Why do you want to go Dragon Disciple? You can get just about everything it offers through soulmelds-- and usually better versions, at that. Heck, there are even Draconic soulmelds in Dragon Magic, if I remember correctly.

But if you insist, then I'd dip into Sorcerer and pick up a handful of those spells-that-were-written-for-dragons.

Krazzman
2013-08-13, 11:52 AM
I thought about either going for Duskblade 1 and then into DD for Natural Attacks outside of melds and some str bonus.

Additionally making me better suited for the Group. Consisting of a Kossuth Cleric that is going for a more blasty way, a Dwarf Fighter and an Elven Warmage.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-08-13, 01:37 PM
Additionally making me better suited for the Group. Consisting of a Kossuth Cleric that is going for a more blasty way, a Dwarf Fighter and an Elven Warmage.
Honestly, it sounds like you need to be the skill guy. Maybe dip Scout, or take Shape Soulmeld to pick up Thief's Gloves. Shape your Grillon Arms and rock out in melee, sure, but also take advantage of all the skillboosting melds.

Krazzman
2013-08-13, 04:11 PM
I am definitely the Survival, Spot and Listen guy.

Having 5 ranks in Kn Nature and probably going to pack some into Kn Arc for DD at least my thought with this was to get the Natural attacks as well as +2 Str.

Then going back to Totemist again as my DM really doesn't like if the PC's could brag "har har har I am the descendant of a Dragon! You can't do anything muahahah!".

I just can't see me taking even more skills now. I used Worg Pelt once for Hide and Move Silenty. Was worth it. But I doubt that sinking resources into this is worthwhile.

So far my general "attack bind" was Sphinx Claws. Now with Multiattack this changes... probably.

And I thought with those 2 DD levels I could give one meld up this way to maybe get another one (like Landshark boots or similar).

Grod_The_Giant
2013-08-13, 04:16 PM
I guess the natural weapons might be a decent option.

EDIT: If I'm reading this right, a one-level Incarnate dip would let you shape (if not bind) all of those melds. Since essence investment is based on total character level, and your essence pool is shared among all classes, you can get a ton of really nice stuff that way...

Krazzman
2013-08-14, 02:32 AM
I guess the natural weapons might be a decent option.

EDIT: If I'm reading this right, a one-level Incarnate dip would let you shape (if not bind) all of those melds. Since essence investment is based on total character level, and your essence pool is shared among all classes, you can get a ton of really nice stuff that way...

I think the catch is that despite sharing essentia pool I can only shape as a Totemist 2 for totemist stuff and as an incarnate 1 for incarnate stuff.

Taking Duskblade would give me:
Good Will and Fort save
+1 BaB
Casting in Armor
Several Cantrips
Casting via Int for a spell (no clue which I would take)
wands from a rather narrow list

The sorcerer would give me:
+0 bab, only goot will save, no casting in armor (except If I take an ACF) a few cantrips and casting via Cha (my lowest stat)
But would give me the better use of wands.
And enlarge person or another spell known.

OR going for a feat. Since the DM is currently in russia I can't ask him. I will do this when we play again next time, maybe switching it out for Improved unarmed strike(although I like being able to knock someone out).

The main problem I have is "limited" sources as we have nothing concerning dragons. Not the Dragon Magic, Draconomicon or else. We have all Completes though as well as Dungeonscape, MoI, ToB and such.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-08-14, 09:42 AM
I think the catch is that despite sharing essentia pool I can only shape as a Totemist 2 for totemist stuff and as an incarnate 1 for incarnate stuff.
So? It's not like casting-- meldshaper level hardly ever matters. You won't get the binds, sure, but essenia capacity is based on character level, not meldshaper level.

You might also look at the fixed-list spontaneous casters, since they'll give you the most spells for your buck. A beguiler dip, for example, might be great for you-- you've got a decent Int for the casting, you'll get trapfinding, tons of skill points, and plenty of good spells like disguise self, obscuring mist, and silent image.

Krazzman
2013-08-15, 03:10 AM
I don't know if I should go a 2 level dip of Incarnate or a 1 level dip beguiler and then into DD for 2 levels then Totemist.

Or a 2 level Rogue dip for evasion.

to sum up:
Incarnate 2 gives me:
3 Melds Shaped and 1 bound
+2 Essentia
+1 BaB
+2d6 HD
good Fort and good will
But Alignment restrictions which will most likely make this point moot. (CG or NG atm unsure)

Beguiler 1 gives me:
Spontaneous Casting (know all the spells on the list)
Trapfinding
+2 will save
d6 HD

Duskblade 1 gives me:
Spontaneous Casting (know only a limited few from the list)
d8 hd
+1 bab
+2 Fort + 2 Will

DD 2 gives me
+1 BaB
2d12 HD
Claws and Bite
+2 Str
+3 Fort + 3 Will
+2 Spellslots

Rogue gives me Sneak attack, Trapfinding and evasion.
Swordsage would give me Maneuvers, Stance, Wis to AC and a few other class skills.

Tough. The totemist is either CN, CG or NG. Don't really know that atm.

EDIT:
Another possibility is the Ranger ACF from Dungeonscape. Giving me Trapfinding but losing Track in the process...

Maginomicon
2013-08-15, 03:22 AM
The Alacritous Cogitation feat (Complete Mage page 37) lets you spontaneously cast a single spell per day so long as you normally would prepare spells.

Krazzman
2013-08-16, 04:10 AM
As I had some time looking through the spell lists... sadly both Beguiler and Duskblade don't really give me spells I would like to cast.

The 3 mentioned spells are rather situational. But the Trapfinding would be good as well as a few of those class skills...
A 2 level dip of Incarnate seems rather awesome... I'll ask the DM about the retraining of IUS though. Or I would have to take a level of Fighter (or Feat Rogue) to get Superior Unarmed strike...