PDA

View Full Version : Computer Problems - how do I remove a proxy configuration from Chrome?

Boci
2013-08-13, 07:50 AM
Yeah this one is a bit complex, for me at least (and I do set the bar pretty low when it comes to technological know how), but I'll try my best to explain:

When I was going to university I had it set up on my computer that I could view sites that required a university account from my home computer. Whenever I opened Google Chrome it would ask for my username and password and then I could view academic source sites.

Now however I have graduated from university and so my password is invalid, and all it is doing is stopping me from using Google Chrome. It wasn't set up by me (and even if it was I probably wouldn't remember any of the details), so I have no idea how to undo it. Can someone help?

The message by the way is basically "the server (proxy.abdn.ect) requires a username and password".
EDIT: Also the server says "Squid proxy-caching web server"

valadil
2013-08-13, 08:03 AM
I would summarize that as "how do I remove a proxy configuration from Chrome?"

I went into settings and searched for proxy. That brought me to a page with a change proxy settings button. I would assume your settings are there. Can't be certain though since I'm on linux and the settings are different at this point. If you can't find what you're looking for there, could you give us a little more info about your setup? Mainly OS?

Boci
2013-08-13, 08:18 AM
I would summarize that as "how do I remove a proxy configuration from Chrome?"

Thank you.

I went into settings and searched for proxy. That brought me to a page with a change proxy settings button. I would assume your settings are there. Can't be certain though since I'm on linux and the settings are different at this point. If you can't find what you're looking for there, could you give us a little more info about your setup? Mainly OS?

That gives me:
"Setup" (an internet connection)

"Add", "Add VPN" and "Remove" (a dial up or VPN I think)

"Settings" for a proxy
Which in turn gives me 3 unticked boxes ("automatically detect settings", "Use automatic configuration script" and "Use proxy server for this connection") and "advanced" for my dial up connection

And finally back on the box "LAN settings"

My OS is Windows 7.

Also added some more information to the OP on the server proxy thingy.

Erloas
2013-08-13, 08:44 AM
I don't have Chrome on my work computer to go through the settings, but usually in the settings/preferences section there is a proxy option.

The first question does it work with other browsers?
If so then the easiest thing to do might simply be completely removed Chrome (including any settings/personal information, most uninstalls ask if you want to remove those too) and install a freshly downloaded copy.

Boci
2013-08-13, 08:49 AM
The first question does it work with other browsers?

Firefox works fine, I don't think it was ever set up to ask for my uni account details.

If so then the easiest thing to do might simply be completely removed Chrome (including any settings/personal information, most uninstalls ask if you want to remove those too) and install a freshly downloaded copy.

Tried that, didn't work.

valadil
2013-08-13, 09:35 AM
Thank you.
"Settings" for a proxy
Which in turn gives me 3 unticked boxes ("automatically detect settings", "Use automatic configuration script" and "Use proxy server for this connection") and "advanced" for my dial up connection

Can you try each of these settings? I would expect the first to work but if it doesn't just try the rest.

Boci
2013-08-13, 09:41 AM
Can you try each of these settings? I would expect the first to work but if it doesn't just try the rest.

The first one doesn't appear to work and the second two require an address.

Erloas
2013-08-13, 09:58 AM
Tried that, didn't work.
Then you didn't actually remove everything. It could be settings left in the registry, but probably files it doesn't actually remove when you uninstall it. Which actually happens a lot. A quick search says Chrome doesn't have an automatic way of resetting everything to default settings but I did find this.

The file path:
Users --> Your User Folder --> AppData (this might be a hidden folder if you aren't admin) --> Local --> Google --> Chrome --> Default

The folder "Default" contains all of the requisite settings. To reset Chrome, close it and change the folder name of "Default" to anything else..."Default old" or "Default broken" or whatever else you like. Once you reopen Chrome it will be reset!

If you want to retain some settings (especially things like bookmarks and login info) you can copy (don't just move them because they should be kept intact as backups; copy them) those files into your new Default folder any time that Chrome is closed.

Of course I believe Chrome uses cloud saved preferences/options, so it could just be that as soon as you reinstall it it just gets the old bad settings and puts them back in again. I think you would have to log into your google account with the browser first for that to happen though.