PDA

View Full Version : Need advise regarding my magus and retraining

Cedict
2013-08-13, 08:19 AM
I am currently in a RotRL campaign playing a Magus. We just killed Xanesha, i dealt the final blow with a critical strike w/ intensified shocking grasp. 19d6+21 was just too much for her.

Our group consists of a Paladin, Cleric, Fighter, Monk and me, the Magus

However, our group is almost entirely melee based and the fighter and the paladin are starting to get their AC way higher than mine and are starting to hit for more than me on non crits.

The monk is retraining during the downtime to be a Zen Archer, but i've been thinking it might be a good idea for me to retrain as a wizard because there is no real arcane utility on the team and it's hurt us before.

With the Cleric, Fighter and Paladin the front line will still be strong, with a wizard and archer we will have utility and range covered. it seems like a good balance... but rolling 19d6 felt.... great...

What do you guys think? Should i retrain?

Xerlith
2013-08-14, 10:39 AM
Can you post your current build? For how long have you been playing this character and have you ever played a Magus before? It might be the problem of your spell/buff choice.
As far as I remember, the Magus has more ways of enhancing his AC than the Fighter or Paladin (except, of course, heavy armor). I think you are underestimating the additional attack from Spell Combat.
Does your DM allow 3.5 content?

You must ask yourself if you want to be the backline supporter/debuffer/god that is the Wizard or be more on-par with the rest of the party. I'm a bit afraid that the Wizard played properly might by far outshine the low-tier classes.

Cedict
2013-08-14, 11:34 AM
Can you post your current build? For how long have you been playing this character and have you ever played a Magus before? It might be the problem of your spell/buff choice.
As far as I remember, the Magus has more ways of enhancing his AC than the Fighter or Paladin (except, of course, heavy armor). I think you are underestimating the additional attack from Spell Combat.
Does your DM allow 3.5 content?

You must ask yourself if you want to be the backline supporter/debuffer/god that is the Wizard or be more on-par with the rest of the party. I'm a bit afraid that the Wizard played properly might by far outshine the low-tier classes.

Current Build: Kitsune Magus 7

STR 13
DEX 20
CON 16
INT 18
WIS 11
CHA 15

HP 69

Feats:
Craft Wondrous Item
Weapon Finesse
Dervish Dance
Elemental Spell: Acid
Intensified Spell

Weapon:
+1 Flaming Scimitar

Armor:
+1 Mithral Chain Shirt
+1 Ring of Protection

Level 1 Spells:
Chill Touch
Color Spray
Enlarge Person
Grease
Shield
Shocking Grasp
Silent Image
True Strike
Vanish

Level 2 Spells:
Cat's Grace
Frigid Touch
Glitter Dust
Mirror Image
Pyrotechnics
Scorching Ray

Level 3 Spells:
Fly
Haste
Dispel Magic

This is my first Magus, but we started at level 1, so i have been playing it a few months now. I have also played lots of wizards before and i don't mind being backlines supporter/god. 3.5 is not allowed.

Xerlith
2013-08-14, 02:38 PM
Well, if you go mirror image + haste I can't see how you can have problems with your offense/defense... What Arcana do you have?
How do you feel overshadowed by your friends' characters?

Maybe you should talk to them and ask if they feel you're really performing as bad as you think.
As far as I know, the Magus is, talking tiers, somewhere in the high tier 3/low2, while their characters should be around tier 4-5.

Kudaku
2013-08-14, 02:43 PM
Retraining to wizard would take 5 days per level, or 35 days. Retraining weapon finesse and dervish dance would take an additional 10 days, bringing you up to 45 days and 3150 GP.

From what I can remember RotRL is a fairly time-pressed AP. Are you sure you have that kind of downtime available...?

Xerlith
2013-08-14, 03:30 PM
In my opinion it would be better to retrain some feats and work with the magus chassis. it's pretty sweet, actually. If OP could make the DM allow the ToB 3.5 material... A Warblade dip does wonders.

Cedict
2013-08-14, 06:43 PM
In my opinion it would be better to retrain some feats and work with the magus chassis. it's pretty sweet, actually. If OP could make the DM allow the ToB 3.5 material... A Warblade dip does wonders.

Retraining to wizard would take 5 days per level, or 35 days. Retraining weapon finesse and dervish dance would take an additional 10 days, bringing you up to 45 days and 3150 GP.

From what I can remember RotRL is a fairly time-pressed AP. Are you sure you have that kind of downtime available...?

@ Xerlith
Not really feeling overshadowed, i just feel like the front lines would be fine if i were there or not. I feel like what is hurting this party the most is the lack of utility spells. I am more or less trying to figure out if it would be more beneficial to have a magus or a wizard here on out. Also, what is a "Magus Chassis"?

@ Kudaku
We just finished up skinshaw murders and we have downtime coming up that the monk is using to retrain, the DM would let me do it for 30 days and 1800 gold. We got the time :)

Xerlith
2013-08-14, 07:00 PM
Chassis
Definition: framework
Synonyms: body, case, frame, skeleton, undercarriage

Caution: Long streak of "If"s incoming.

If you need utility, you may either go with the "spell recall->scribe spell-> learn spell" trick to learn all the needed Magus spells on the list... Or just simply reroll a wizard.
Although, I repeat - the Magus can easily and by far overshadow both the fighter and the paladin in his damage and defense. He can - with a right spell choice - also make a great support frontliner.

If I had to guess, I'd say that either the fighter and paladin are optimized or you're not using the class' abilities to the best extent.

If you build and play smart, you may become the best melee asset your party has. I think that even as it is now they could benefit greatly from your Haste and Enlarge Person.

You haven't told us the most important thing - do you WANT to stay as a frontliner or prefer to hide behind your teammates?

If yes, well. Speak to your friends either way, because a tier1 class in a party with tier5/tier6 classes can quickly make them feel unneeded or even dead weight.

I think you may also want to look at the Psion.

Cedict
2013-08-15, 06:46 AM
Chassis
Definition: framework
Synonyms: body, case, frame, skeleton, undercarriage

If you need utility, you may either go with the "spell recall->scribe spell-> learn spell" trick to learn all the Magus spells on the list... Or just simply reroll a wizard.
You haven't told us the most important thing - do you WANT to stay as a frontliner or prefer to hide behind your teammates?

I think you may also want to look at the Psion.

I like both classes, but i have never played a magus before. That kinda makes me want to stay a magus. But at the same time, in combat i take an extra round to get in and usually find myself hanging back then using acrobatics to tumble in and provide flanking.

Which feats would you retrain? i mean, craft wonder has been a life saver cash wise, elemental spell helps me bypass resistances and i need intensified spell to increase the damage dice. that leaves weapon finesse and Dervish Dance.

Could you elaborate the spell recall->scribe spell-> learn spell trick? i had a look with google and i am not finding anything about it. I also don't see Psion as a Pathfinder class. 3.5 material is not allowed

Xerlith
2013-08-15, 07:24 AM
Take a look at my higher post, I edited it in this exact moment.
Here is the Psion: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/psion

The spell recall trick.. It's my bad, I haven't played a magus lately. I meant Knowledge Pool trick. :smallbiggrin:
The trick is, of course, to scribe the spell from your Pool, then learn it as normal. Rinse and repeat, with enough gold you can learn all the magus spells available to you.

Cedict
2013-08-15, 08:04 AM
Take a look at my higher post, I edited it in this exact moment.
Here is the Psion: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/psion

The spell recall trick.. It's my bad, I haven't played a magus lately. I meant Knowledge Pool trick. :smallbiggrin:
The trick is, of course, to scribe the spell from your Pool, then learn it as normal. Rinse and repeat, with enough gold you can learn all the magus spells available to you.

Thanks for this, but i don't know if the DM would allow Psion. Though just looking at it, it seems like it would be a good thing to try out maybe in the next adventure path. I will continue to play my Magus. I hadn't thought of that trick, thanks for that it's devious and i love it.

Xerlith
2013-08-15, 08:21 AM
You're welcome. Also, you may want to take a look at this. (https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1DB6sOfbAzFmKVPgcyLWipTVqvWFjfDSv6v_YiGQb5 Yw)

A nice handbook if I've ever seen one.
But then I guess you have already, judging by your build. :smalltongue:

If you need damage, you might want to take Power Attack. It seems nice. Are you intending to multiclass/PrC?
EDIT: Scimitar is the Magus' best friend. You have a great feat setup and should not retrain any of them.