PDA

View Full Version : Increased AC Bonuses for Larger Shields?

Galvin
2013-08-13, 12:36 PM
Hi GITP

I was wondering if anywhere there was an officially documented rule that increases AC bonuses shields grant by the size of creature they are meant for. A standard wooden shield grants a +2 AC bonus to a medium sized human. But as far as I know, a standard wooden shield made for a titan would still only grant that titan +2 AC. The titan's shield would be bigger than the human's, thus covering a larger amount of his body, warranting a large AC bonus.

Rebel7284
2013-08-13, 12:42 PM
Based on common sense and basic proportions, the titan's shield would leave MORE area exposed....

Khedrac
2013-08-13, 12:44 PM
The titan's shield would be bigger than the human's, thus covering a larger amount of his body
Actually no - the titan's shield covered exactly the same amount of his body - the shield is proportionally larger.

However when you look at a larger character with a proportional shield there's still a larger area not covered, and unless the shield can be moved at the same relative speed - which is a lot faster - it is providing less protection to attacks...
Since it is covering a larger area the covered part is more effectively covered so the pros and cons probably cancel out - resulting in the same +2 shield bonus to AC.

Galvin
2013-08-13, 12:51 PM
Actually no - the titan's shield covered exactly the same amount of his body - the shield is proportionally larger.

However when you look at a larger character with a proportional shield there's still a larger area not covered, and unless the shield can be moved at the same relative speed - which is a lot faster - it is providing less protection to attacks...
Since it is covering a larger area the covered part is more effectively covered so the pros and cons probably cancel out - resulting in the same +2 shield bonus to AC.

Oh I see. Thanks.