View Full Version : 3.5 Wight creation

Peelee
2013-08-13, 12:42 PM
Can a Wight be created by any means other than being killed by another Wight in 3.5? I've tried looking myself and can't find a whole lot on the subject. I'm hoping for non-3rd party answers, if possible. Thanks!

Khedrac
2013-08-13, 12:47 PM
Any creature killed by negative levels (rather than damage taken etc) where the negative level source does not specify otherwise rises as a wight.

The classic example is the spell Enervation.

Yuki Akuma
2013-08-13, 12:55 PM
Here's a link. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#energyDrainAndNegativeLevels)

Specifically, the last line of that section.

Segev
2013-08-13, 01:11 PM
Sadly, this is only true in 3.5. Pathfinder removes that clause, and I believe Wights are only created by other Wights therein.

ksbsnowowl
2013-08-13, 01:16 PM
Fell Drain Sonic Snap (LM & SpC) is a great way to make a 1st level spell turn a 1st level commoner into a Wight.

Yuki Akuma
2013-08-13, 01:18 PM
Sadly, this is only true in 3.5. Pathfinder removes that clause, and I believe Wights are only created by other Wights therein.

He asked about 3.5. Not Pathfinder.

Segev
2013-08-13, 01:22 PM
He asked about 3.5. Not Pathfinder.

Good point. Carry on!

Galvin
2013-08-13, 02:05 PM
Indeed. Any creature slain by negative levels that do not specifically state that the slain critter rises as another undead type, then it rises as a wight.

Fouredged Sword
2013-08-13, 02:08 PM
It is also one day later, and has no clause for condition of the body.

I had a group slay a bunch of monsters with negative levels on their way down into a dungeon. They decided to make camp. They then got caught by a small wight population boom on their way our as wights rose and started making more wights.

The party was a lot more careful about killing with negative levels after that.

Silva Stormrage
2013-08-13, 03:33 PM

I had a group slay a bunch of monsters with negative levels on their way down into a dungeon. They decided to make camp. They then got caught by a small wight population boom on their way our as wights rose and started making more wights.

Awesome XD I need to remember to do something like that if my pc's ever use negative levels. :smalltongue:

Segev
2013-08-13, 03:36 PM
I had a high-cha "popular hero" type character who lived for the adulation but used highly underhanded means to earn it when he wasn't being watched. He was a Dread Necromancer, and tended to use highly ruthless tactics against problem elements, including ones that created wights. He'd then use Rebuke/Command to control the first, and send it to turn the remainder of its former allies into more wights under its control, making sure to Command a few key lieutenants as well just in case something happened to his pet "boss wight."

Played the heroic knight-like character in public while using undead and other rather unkind tactics to make sure he would be at minimal personal risk as long as nobody saw how he solved things.

Peelee
2013-08-13, 04:40 PM
Awesome. I somehow managed to miss all that. This will greatly improve a section of a campaign I'm plotting out. Thanks, guys!

RFLS
2013-08-13, 04:42 PM

*adds to DM bag* Thanks! =D